Godville

Talk about anything game related!

Godville

by Kowaghuz » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:51 pm

http://godvillegame.com/

Simply put, this game is more or less my childhood. I made an account when I was 11 years old,(I found it on Magistream - It's still going, apparently) and enjoyed it all the way until now.

What is Godville? Well, from the title, you will obviously expect gods to be main characters of the game; They are!(Sorta) - You are a deity in this game.

But Ghuz, there are hundreds of games where the player is a god, give us something new!

Remember the "Sorta"? Because there is another crucial main part of the game - your hero. Yes, the game is an RPG-

Great, another MMORPG, you had us excited. But you said you made an account when you were 11, so it must have a catch to it so that it survived until now.

You didn't let me finish. It's also an idle game.

*Audience sighs audibly. Someone is loudly banging their head against the wall. People are starting to pack up*

An idle game AND an RPG. Have you found the most overdone game ever? Hell, from the -ville name, it might as well be P2W.

Not THAT kind of idle game, mind you. Those are called "incrementals"; This is a game where the Hero is absolutely controlled by the AI and does his own business as long as you log in once every week.

*People turn around and decide to remain to hear what is left of the presentation*

Sounds original. But why would we play this game if it plays itself?

It's puntastic; Deliciously so - Terry Pratchett on a bad trip levels. Everything from monsters or artifacts is a pun, reference or joke. And all the content? By now more than half of it has been created by players; And growing - Players are actively adding their own humorous content every month(More or less) Heroes are alcoholic idiots who will spend thousands of gold coins on stupid things without a second thought; Don't get tricked, though, the game is laughing with you, not at you.

*Audience grows interested*

Interesting. But puns and all, if it's just another parody of an RPG, what will keep us interested for more than a month?

The game puts Olympic objectives for your hero to complete - A temple made out of pure gold bricks, and ark made of gopher wood, getting your animal to level 30 and building up a retirement fund - The game unironically takes years to complete.

*Audience starts to get excited*

Cool! But what does the player intervene in all of this?

The deity can actively pursue either encouraging or punishing the hero - the former making the hero lean towards "good" personalities while the latter makes him become more "evil" - Yes, an alignment system - with in-game effects. Evil heroes do more damage and good heroes heal themselves. The more long-term objectives the hero completes, the more things the deity can do.

*Audience starts to lose their minds*

Is it all free?

The game does use a resource called "godpower" - which is burnt up easily. A player can buy more godpower for a price, but the godpower is not guranteed to give the purchaser a huge advantage. It's more of a gamble than P2W.

*Audience goes hyper*

THIS IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE

But wait, there's more! You can actively add your own lore to the Godwiki, provided it is silly. Simply pick a monster that's not been described and go wild.

*Audience starts yelling incomprehensibly, suddenly, a blue flash of light engulfs the room and all present are now dressed in togas, have olive wreaths around their heads and float*

Presenter: Welcome to godhood!

Audience: EEEEEEEEEEEEK

Pics to build up hyp:
[+] SPOILER

[+] SPOILER
There, is however, a very small problem with the game.

It's all only text
User

Re: Godville

by Anorak » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:33 pm

I just got this game and it actually pretty fun. Thanks for the recommendation!
User

by Kowaghuz » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:35 pm

Further proof that Godville is not ded(The reason why everything plummets at the end is because the month just started and there is not enough data as of yet.):

Compared to:

Progress Quest - Granddaddy of Godville, minus alignments and deity intervention, and other many changes.

Grindquest - An idle version of WoW. It got taken down for using pictures from the game and a version with MSpaint graphics re-surfaced from the same creator.

Anti-Idle - Idle game for hipsters.

Clicker Heroes - Idle game where instead of buildings you have hero levels. Would be decent if it weren't for all the animu-inspired "2original4u" characters.
User

by Zonoro13 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:41 pm

This game gets old really quickly.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Simmonds91 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks for the warning zonoro.
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by Kowaghuz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:10 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:This game gets old really quickly.

You're talking as if you're supposed to play it nonstop.

Simmonds91 wrote:Thanks for the warning zonoro.

It literally takes 10 seconds to make an account and you can use guerrilamail if you don't want to use a real address. Why take someone else's word for it?
User

by Anorak » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:16 pm

It is nice. I left and got back on a couple hours later and he had jumped up 6 levels! It's nice not having to do anything and the game still progresses.
User

by Kowaghuz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:29 pm

Anorak wrote:It is nice. I left and got back on a couple hours later and he had jumped up 6 levels! It's nice not having to do anything and the game still progresses.

All you have to do is check in at most a week and you're set. Also make sure to encourage/punish because I can guess from personal experience that aligned heroes perform better.
User

by Anorak » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:12 pm

What do you think is better, encourage or punish?
User

by Kowaghuz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Anorak wrote:What do you think is better, encourage or punish?

Good heroes heal themselves. Evil heroes do more damage. There is no "better" or "worse".
User

by Simmonds91 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:42 pm

Kowaghuz wrote:
Simmonds91 wrote:Thanks for the warning zonoro.

Kowaghuz wrote: it literally takes 10 seconds to make an account and you can use guerrilamail if you don't want to use a real address. Why take someone else's word for it?

Because i dislike wasting my time on games that wont be enjoyable? There is a reason amazon and the app store have reviews. Secondly, why should i take your word that its good? (<- rhetoricle question)
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

by Anorak » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:45 pm

Why should you take Zonoros word that it's bad?
User

by Zonoro13 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Anorak wrote:Why should you take Zonoros word that it's bad?

Because I've played it?
I don't really understand your question.

It's a neat, clever game but with such limited gameplay and no graphics, it really doesn't offer anything over the average idle game, which isn't worth my time anyway.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Kowaghuz » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:45 am

Simmonds91 wrote:Because i dislike wasting my time on games that wont be enjoyable? There is a reason amazon and the app store have reviews. Secondly, why should i take your word that its good? (<- rhetoricle question)

It is rated 4.2 stars from 35400 ratings on the android app store.
User

by Anorak » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:
Anorak wrote:Why should you take Zonoros word that it's bad?

Because I've played it?
I don't really understand your question.

It's a neat, clever game but with such limited gameplay and no graphics, it really doesn't offer anything over the average idle game, which isn't worth my time anyway.

He asked Kowa why he should take his word it was good, but was taking your word it was bad. Kowa had played it to.
User

by Simmonds91 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Lets not get off topic guys eh? I dont care that you dislike im taking zonoros word for it, im not playing it, end of story, so lets move on shall we?

(Cue tats logging on and scolding us)
User

by Kowaghuz » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Simmonds91 wrote:Lets not get off topic guys eh? I dont care that you dislike im taking zonoros word for it, im not playing it, end of story, so lets move on shall we?

(Cue tats logging on and scolding us)

>Two people say it's good
>One guy says it's bad
>Refuse to play the game - even though you can just play it yourself and see if you like it - and act like a douche about it
>Get called out on being a hipster
>Act like the victim
User

by Zonoro13 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:00 pm

No one's playing the victim Kowa. It's just that time is valuable and I wouldn't play a game with 66% recommendation rate when there are lots of games I already know are good. So Simmons' reaction is normal.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Kowaghuz » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:13 am

Zonoro13 wrote: It's just that time is valuable

It literally takes 30 minutes to permanently make up your mind. Unless you've been diagnosed with a terminal disease that time is worth pretty much nothing.
User

by Zonoro13 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Kowaghuz wrote:
Zonoro13 wrote: It's just that time is valuable

It literally takes 30 minutes to permanently make up your mind. Unless you've been diagnosed with a terminal disease that time is worth pretty much nothing.

So you're saying I should take 30 minutes to try every game out, even shitty flash games? Why does this game deserve 30 minutes over those, when it has no gameplay or graphics?
-Terry Pratchett

User

Next