The Elder Scrolls

Talk about anything game related!

The Elder Scrolls

by The Kingmaker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:27 pm

I have to admit, the Stormcloak v Imperial debate earlier on piqued my interest, and with some commendations from my friends I purchased Skyrim.

In this new age of expensive yet minimal releases fuelled with huge amounts of either worthless DLC, or expansions that double the original cost, while only adding what should have been there already, I found spending £25 on a game that I will never finish and will likely never tire of very refreshing.
I also like depth and enjoying immersing with some semblance of roleplaying.

So have you played any of TES games? Share stories, opinions, etc.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

Re: The Elder Scrolls

by Kowaghuz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:40 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:Stormcloak v Imperial

Change this to Conservatives VS Liberals and check out how people change sides.

As for TES, I played Skyrim when I was 11 and 12, liked it quite a lot, but later on I started realizing how freakish and pragmatically hopeless the world is. Kills the mood tbh.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:42 am

While the quests and characters were very extensive and immersive, I mus stay that the glaring of flaw of Skyrim (besides glitches) is that the combat is terrible. I noticed that the levels are designed for some nice backtracking and usage of then environment, but the actually fighting and gameplay is so restrictive that a movie-licensed game is better, and for such a large and long game, it gets tiring quickly before you even beat 10% of the game. Unfortunately, that ruined the whole thing for me.
BBB

by SairiRM » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:56 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:While the quests and characters were very extensive and immersive, I mus stay that the glaring of flaw of Skyrim (besides glitches) is that the combat is terrible. I noticed that the levels are designed for some nice backtracking and usage of then environment, but the actually fighting and gameplay is so restrictive that a movie-licensed game is better, and for such a large and long game, it gets tiring quickly before you even beat 10% of the game. Unfortunately, that ruined the whole thing for me.

The Elder Scrolls has never been a game franchise focused on combat, it has always been focused on immersion, atmosphere, world, and especially lore. The amount of data scattered throughout the world is immense, you can literally pass hours upon hours reading books and talking to NPCs for all kinds of imformation. Also if you really liked Skyrim's quests you would absolutely love Morrowind's ones, which are way more creative and interesting.

Also as for the OP, I have only played The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, but I have watched a lot of gameplay videos on Oblivion and Skyrim, and I have to say that personally, Morrowind is the best one in the franchise. The world of Morrowind is absolutely gorgeous, the music is fantastic, the amount of lore you can find and read is huge, most of the NPCs have really great characterization and background, the combat may be a bit (which means A LOT) frustrating, but once you get the hang of it it becomes bearable. The character creation, skills, alchemy and crafting systems are up there with my favourite ones and finally the story is the best one compared to Skyrim's unoriginal and Oblivion's meh ones.
User

by xstargaming » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:10 am

I concur with SairiRM regarding how the Elder Scrolls games have never been dedicated to combat, rather more to the world and its intricacies. Such was why I found myself intrigued by Oblivion and Skyrim; the sub-plots and the character development you could bring upon yourself were fascinating to be a part of -- especially considering the vast quantity that you could take part in. Now, many I know have spoken on the excellence of Morrowind, and while I am aware of the game, its story, and so forth, I have not yet played it. Perhaps, one day I shall do so and come to change my opinion on the quality between the games, but for now my favorite remains Skyrim.
User

by MechaNecromancer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:45 pm

If you can, make an account at Nexus and install some mods. After modding the game, you'll never play vanilla again.
User

by xstargaming » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:31 pm

MechaNecromancer wrote:If you can, make an account at Nexus and install some mods. After modding the game, you'll never play vanilla again.

I care to disagree! I installed mods and thought them a complete impurity to the design of the game which was originally presented, ergo I switched back to vanilla. The same has occurred in almost every moddable game I've ever played, primarily since the mods were almost all designed to be "the most ancient and powerful item in the universe" or some such. There were some, of course, which were worthy to be kept, yet on the whole, I decided to remove them.
User

by The Kingmaker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:14 pm

I agree with Mecha but understand xstar's point.

Through a mix of steam and nexus I have several mods, however nothing are "most powerful X in the universe". I have one to improve water textures, two that retexture some weapons and armour, one that makes nights darker and weather more obvious and one that makes my favourite feline companion actually useful.

No matter how amusing Randy Savage Dragons would be, or how awkward my mum seeing "naked X" mod, some simple retextures are fine by me.

My treasured creations:
User

by MechaNecromancer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:43 pm

xstargaming wrote:
MechaNecromancer wrote:If you can, make an account at Nexus and install some mods. After modding the game, you'll never play vanilla again.

I care to disagree! I installed mods and thought them a complete impurity to the design of the game which was originally presented, ergo I switched back to vanilla. The same has occurred in almost every moddable game I've ever played, primarily since the mods were almost all designed to be "the most ancient and powerful item in the universe" or some such. There were some, of course, which were worthy to be kept, yet on the whole, I decided to remove them.

Then I must disagree with your disagreement. Many mods expand on the game without hurting the vanilla Skyrim experience. The Epic Gameplay Overhaul mods, Vilja and Inigo, Immersive Weapons, Open Cities, Warzones, Frostfall, SkyUI, Immersive Patrols, and so on. The modders did a lot of things Bethesda didn't, and I'm glad for it.

Not all mods, maybe not even most of them, are about creating the most powerful item in the universe, or crazy stuff that harms lore, or whatever.
User

by Chimto » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:44 am

Sturgeon's Revelation: 90% of everything is crud.

In a medium like Nexus where there's no barrier of entry to speak of, you're inevitably going to see lots and lots of mediocre mods like the ones xstar mentioned. That said, there are going to be a few ones that are worth taking an arrow in the knee for.

I've just installed Morrowind, but I didn't have time to play it yet.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:14 am

I thought about it some, and I have decided that I still can't enjoy Skyrim as a game. As a story, it is very intricate and fascinating, but a game needs gameplay, and that can't be left out and attempted to go unnoticed because of how nice other things are. Dark Souls has both immersive worlds/stories as well as some of the best if not the best gameplay I've ever experienced. The fact that Skyrim only has one of the 2 when other games with much smaller development teams with much smaller budgets have both is a shame.
BBB

by Simmonds91 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:37 am

Hey, Bethesda announced a remastered skyrim. What do you guys think? Just pretty graphics so not worth buying? Or is there a chance they upgraded the combat?

I'll be getting it because i love skyrim but i dont have a ps3 anymore so either way im happy :)

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6wWkmiGZQ[/youtube]
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by The Kingmaker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:04 am

Id definitely get future TES games, but im mixed on the remaster. I'll wait and see

My treasured creations:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:32 pm

The exploration and music of Skyrim with the intricacy of Dark Souls' combat and atmosphere would be an awesome game, and I noticed that more games are trying more and more to be like Dark Souls. However, I don't think Skyrim would go that route. Bethesda is probably going to stick to just changing graphics so that they don't take another risk and lose the gamble.
BBB

by Ninja » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Why and how did you double post when the two almost identical posts were an hour apart?
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Ninja wrote:Why and how did you double post when the two almost identical posts were an hour apart?

The first one was a preview; I guess the forum submitted it without telling me. :shock:
BBB

by Ninja » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:38 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:
Ninja wrote:Why and how did you double post when the two almost identical posts were an hour apart?

The first one was a preview; I guess the forum submitted it without telling me. :shock:

Perhaps you clicked "submit" accidentally, rather? ;)
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Ninja wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:

Perhaps you clicked "submit" accidentally, rather? ;)

When I came back an hour later, I had a preview of the post, which happened to be the one that got submitted early. Maybe it was actually the forum just showing me the previous posts in the thread. :lol:
BBB

by warbot1000 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:26 pm

the one thing that frustrates me about skyrim is that I reached the first town where my character could do what they wanted and tried to steal from a shop. It auto saved while I was running and I had to go eat. Now every time I go onto the game my character gets killed by the shopkeeper and dieing so early on in the game upsets me and I end up playing GTA 5 or FIFA

my ideas
http://www.ironhidegames.com/forums/vie ... =15&t=4760
I am master of the elements, student of goku and digimon king
My friends an I fight for good beware of warbot the humanrobot!!

If its not JB its not right!
User

by Simmonds91 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:35 pm

Just load an earlier save? Or just restart dude :?
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

Next