A dilemma

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

A dilemma

by TheLightBringer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Greetings fellow users! :hero:
I'd like to share some of my thoughts, in hope that you would take your time to read and respond to it with your opinion about this whole thing.
First of all I'll start with some background.

I've been playing Kingdom Rush since its been released, long before heroes were even a thing. Like every other good game I've been playing, I started having ideas coming to my mind of improving the game and adding some content to it.
About 2.5 years ago I've started writing down notes, documentizing my ideas instead of letting them fade. Slowly but surely, a pile of content big enough for a whole new game to contain was made. What at first began as a couple of ideas for new enemies and heroes has turned into a whole folder with 13 sub-folders and over 100 files, with new heroes, new enemies, new towers, new maps, and new original systems. (I believe that if I condensed the whole written content into a word document, it would take a size of 45-50 fully written pages, at font size 11)

However, as much as I'd love to sit and work on this project, I'm an actually busy person, and it doesnt seem to get any better soon. Making a new game concept takes a long time even to a whole crew who actually works at it - all the more it takes to a single person who it's not more than a hobby to. I dont have any illusions with me completing this project soon, and it brings me to the dilemma that I wanted to share with all of you.

I've been wondering if I should wait with the introduction of my project until it's finished, or should I post a small piece of it every once in a while?
If I waited until the project is complete, it would be a masterpiece that comes as a one piece (as I'd like it to - if it were to be an actual game one day, it would be unlikely that I wouldn't want all the content I made in it), but it would take a very long time to finish.
On the other hand if I released a small part once every week or two for instance, it'd be easier to commit to it and I might also get some feedback from you guys, which could be motivating and help me complete the project sooner (in the long run), but it would leave room to embrace some content and neglect the rest, which I may be displeased about.

I put a lot of effort into everything I make, and everything that I would release would be no less than 100% from my side. I mentally connect to everything I make and if I were asked to make a choice between the content that I want to take to the next level or not, I'm afraid I couldn't choose. This is the advantage in bringing the project after its complete - Everything comes together as a fact, and there is nothing to argue over whether its a good addition or not because it is part of the core of the game.

So, what do you guys think about it?
Thanks for your time. :hero:
P.S, the name of the game is Kingdom Rush : Roots of Origins. It was intended to be the fourth Kingdom Rush, but I guess it's too late for that :)
User

Re: A dilemma

by Minuet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:30 am

Heh I've been making a campaign as well and been having the exact same dilemma, I'd say just post it piece by piece sort of like how Razor is updating Chronicles.

It was intended to be the fourth Kingdom Rush, but I guess it's too late for that

It can be whatever you want it to be in your mind~
Back To The Shadows of Hell ~ Be Quick Or Be Dead ~ Let's Get Shooting ~ Natha Daged Dhaer ~ Clear Your Mind ~ Crimson Skies
User

by TheLightBringer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Minuet wrote: It can be whatever you want it to be in your mind~

Yea that's the right attitude, but I'm still not sure about that :)

How did you solve your own dilemma?
User

by Minuet » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:46 am

TheLightBringer wrote:
Minuet wrote: It can be whatever you want it to be in your mind~

Yea that's the right attitude, but I'm still not sure about that :)

How did you solve your own dilemma?

Currently... extreme procrastination, so maybe I'm not the one to go to for answers.

I still say post it piece by piece, because most people aren't willing/don't have the time (bar a few) to read a 45 page campaign, that way you can introduce elements gradually and the readers can provide feedback that way as it grows.
Back To The Shadows of Hell ~ Be Quick Or Be Dead ~ Let's Get Shooting ~ Natha Daged Dhaer ~ Clear Your Mind ~ Crimson Skies
User

by SealDarklight » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:32 am

Nice im also a person who makes concepts. Welcome to the forum
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:51 am

SealDarklight wrote:Nice im also a person who makes concepts. Welcome to the forum

TheLightBringer has been here for almost a year.
Yes it's me

by TheLightBringer » Mon May 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Minuet wrote:that way you can introduce elements gradually and the readers can provide feedback that way as it grows.

Heh, that's what I always have doubt in, from my experience with previous forums, people barely provide any feedback :(
User

by Ninja » Mon May 01, 2017 9:51 pm

I'll be happy to provide you with any feedback that I can give you. Don't be afraid to post your ideas! :hero:
:hero:
User

by SealDarklight » Wed May 03, 2017 2:46 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:
SealDarklight wrote:Nice im also a person who makes concepts. Welcome to the forum

TheLightBringer has been here for almost a year.

Dammit DX
User

by The Kingmaker » Thu May 04, 2017 10:04 am

I think any and all ideas would be welcome here, however I may suggest waiting closer to the release of Iron Marines and/or KR4, so that more people will be here to read and provide feedback for your ideas - so you've got plenty of time!

To that end, making certain these plans are in a format that is easy to work through, and to find your place if reading over the course of several days would be useful, but I don't doubt that was already in your mind.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Szzezul » Thu May 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Might as well train sha'tra...
Get owned by Sha'Tra :hero:
User

by TheLightBringer » Sat May 13, 2017 12:33 pm

SealDarklight wrote:Dammit DX

Thanks anyways buddy :)

I guess what you guys say makes more sense than the other option that I have. Just a last question though, how do you guys think I should do the thread? should I post updates/content as comments, or should I just edit the thread itself over and over again for updates?
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon May 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Editing the thread and making a post that reveals it has been updated is how the majority of fanfiction ideas are conveyed, so, you should do the same. :)
BBB