Hero Status Icon

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Hero Status Icon

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:59 am

One thing that's bad about having a lot going on in a level is that heroes are difficult to manage all the time. They can have a lot happen to them when you're not looking, and when there's a ton of enemies nearby it can be hard to see them. Therefore, when the hero has some type of affliction, there could be an icon next to their Hero Icon to show what they've been afflicted with.

Poisoned: Green Skull
Stunned/Trapped: A Lock
Blocking an Enemy: A Shield
Regenerating (Circle of Life or any healing skill, but not from idle healing): A Green Plus Sign
Under 25% HP: A Red Skull and Crossbones

These icons can be small so that they don't take up too much space and block out important things from the player, but vibrant so they can still be seen and alert the player of their hero's status.
BBB

Re: Hero Status Icon

by tmn loveblue » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:14 am

It may ruin the simplistic design, but this is a great idea. The health and exp bars could be shrinked a bit to provide space for the icons, and the Idle status could be symbolised as a standing human.

Not related but it is 11:11 now at my place :D
User

by Juice Box » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Completely agree. The appearance of an icon should be very noticeable, though. I mean, not big, just noticeable. Like it could pop up or something. Yay.
User

by Zonoro13 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:17 pm

No no no, who could pay attention to those? The only times you would be looking at those icons is when there's a lull in battle. Instead there should be a popup, like at the first level when it tells you how to use towers, but it could say, for example,

Oh no! Your hero has been poisoned. Then in the next 3-5 pages it could show tips for getting rid of poison. Same when your hero goes into melee, every time the hero gets hit, whenever you move him/her (you moved your hero! Are you sure that's a good idea? Here are some strategy tips...), etc.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Finwer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:42 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:No no no, who could pay attention to those? The only times you would be looking at those icons is when there's a lull in battle. Instead there should be a popup, like at the first level when it tells you how to use towers, but it could say, for example,

Oh no! Your hero has been poisoned. Then in the next 3-5 pages it could show tips for getting rid of poison. Same when your hero goes into melee, every time the hero gets hit, whenever you move him/her (you moved your hero! Are you sure that's a good idea? Here are some strategy tips...), etc.

That will be too annoying.The players would be like "let me to friggin move that goddam hero!!!" :lol: I think it's better to just let the hero interface as it is now! :D
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:No no no, who could pay attention to those? The only times you would be looking at those icons is when there's a lull in battle. Instead there should be a popup, like at the first level when it tells you how to use towers, but it could say, for example,

That sounds like something an RPG would do when your character gets a status effect. What do you mean nobody would pay attention to them? I'd definitely look, especially in Endless Mode when it's impossible to find a single unit. This would be immensely useful with zoom-in versions of the game, where the hero may not be on the screen. There'd be plenty of people paying attention to those icons, especially the one that shows the hero is low on HP. ;)
BBB

by Zonoro13 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:

That sounds like something an RPG would do when your character gets a status effect. What do you mean nobody would pay attention to them? I'd definitely look, especially in Endless Mode when it's impossible to find a single unit. This would be immensely useful with zoom-in versions of the game, where the hero may not be on the screen. There'd be plenty of people paying attention to those icons, especially the one that shows the hero is low on HP. ;)

Nonononono. Wrong and wrong again. A new player will be overwhelmed by the strange icons! The game needs to detail a play-by-play account of everything that happens to your hero, otherwise they will be discouraged and quit the game when their hero keeps dying.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:44 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:Nonononono. Wrong and wrong again. A new player will be overwhelmed by the strange icons! The game needs to detail a play-by-play account of everything that happens to your hero, otherwise they will be discouraged and quit the game when their hero keeps dying.

Th game alreadu doesn't detail that the hero is poisoned when hit by a Son of Mactans or other poison, so it doesn't need to now. It can simply have one pop-up during the introduction of the hero, explaining that next to the Hero Icon, there are indicators of status effects. Simple. Just those words are all that is necessary to explain it, because the symbols themselves should define what they are well enough.
BBB

by Zonoro13 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:56 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:
Zonoro13 wrote:Nonononono. Wrong and wrong again. A new player will be overwhelmed by the strange icons! The game needs to detail a play-by-play account of everything that happens to your hero, otherwise they will be discouraged and quit the game when their hero keeps dying.

Th game alreadu doesn't detail that the hero is poisoned when hit by a Son of Mactans or other poison, so it doesn't need to now. It can simply have one pop-up during the introduction of the hero, explaining that next to the Hero Icon, there are indicators of status effects. Simple. Just those words are all that is necessary to explain it, because the symbols themselves should define what they are well enough.

But wait! This can make IG money. The constant, annoying popup screens that I described could work really well. Just add an option to disable them and switch to BBB's icon idea, but have it cost a dollar. More money would help IG a lot.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by billakoz16 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:13 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:One thing that's bad about having a lot going on in a level is that heroes are difficult to manage all the time. They can have a lot happen to them when you're not looking, and when there's a ton of enemies nearby it can be hard to see them. Therefore, when the hero has some type of affliction, there could be an icon next to their Hero Icon to show what they've been afflicted with.

Poisoned: Green Skull
Blocking an Enemy: A Shield
Regenerating (Circle of Life or any healing skill, but not from idle healing): A Green Plus Sign
Under 25% HP: A Red Skull and Crossbones

These icons can be small so that they don't take up too much space and block out important things from the player, but vibrant so they can still be seen and alert the player of their hero's status.

My tweeks to the original

Poisoned: Green aura that looks like varius small green drops
Blocking an Enemy: More like a sword crossed with a sword
Regenerating (Circle of Life or any healing skill, but not from idle healing): A small green plus popping every heal-tick
Under 25% HP: A Red Aura
Under 10% Skull and Crossbowns

I think it would be nice if when he used each abilitie a small version of the abilities icon breafly apperad like a status effect.
If you want a Special Tower, I am the guy to ask.

Special Towers Here!
User

Location: Greece, the place were dimocracy was born...and destroyed

by billakoz16 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:17 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:

Nonononono. Wrong and wrong again. A new player will be overwhelmed by the strange icons! The game needs to detail a play-by-play account of everything that happens to your hero, otherwise they will be discouraged and quit the game when their hero keeps dying.

A new player? poisonand stuning enemies appear relatively later in game and the other 2 (or 3) could be easily understood), I belive that the in-battle crosed swords (or shield) and the ability usage icons should be described when heros are first introduced (in the same opo-up that regards heros) and the 1 or 2 death when a hero first reaches them. The poison and stun ones can be later displayed with a first-time-it-happened pop-up but that's about it.
The icons should be togglable
If you want a Special Tower, I am the guy to ask.

Special Towers Here!
User

Location: Greece, the place were dimocracy was born...and destroyed