An Open Love Letter to Kingdom Rush Fans

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Re: An Open Love Letter to Kingdom Rush Fans

by adriaxv10 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:03 pm

:yey: Kevin you're amazing :yey:
User

by dimumurray » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:20 pm

Kevin...have you given any thought to making your own games? There are a lot of indie game dev communities springing up these days (I'm a part of the NY scene myself). You should seek out an indie team to be a part of or start one yourself...I'd love to see what you come up with your own original IP (Intellectual Property).
User

by billakoz16 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:27 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:
I wrote:@Kevin: Since this thread will receive more praise than anything esle, I'll just mention the 3 modes I disagree with having: Extended Hero levels would make the game far too easy, and considering the large power difference between paid and free heroes in KR and Origins, they would be the deciding factor in victory. Classes would be interesting to have, but they'd have to be balanced between each other to once again avoid making/breaking the game. Random Creep Patterns will spit in the face of "strategy" for Kingdom Rush. It'd be wacky to toggle this on or off for early stages, but in later levels, it would have the luck-based events of Endless Mode, but now the feeling that the player is supposed to somehow "overcome" this. Mini-bosses randomly showing up is a different idea that poses the same issues as RCP.

Agree with all the ideas except the three he mentions above. Really loved the greater tower/upgrade upgradeability and the progress achievement path!
If you want a Special Tower, I am the guy to ask.

Special Towers Here!
User

Location: Greece, the place were dimocracy was born...and destroyed

by The_TaTs » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:25 pm

dimumurray wrote:Kevin...have you given any thought to making your own games? There are a lot of indie game dev communities springing up these days (I'm a part of the NY scene myself). You should seek out an indie team to be a part of or start one yourself...I'd love to see what you come up with your own original IP (Intellectual Property).

This is exactly what I was thinking while reading the whole thing on my way to work. Luckily, mi trusty crime fighting butler was driving the Maserati.

You should consider studying game design. Seeing as you are already willing to devote your time and creativity to come up with all these ideas. Some of them are actually pretty cool, while the others would mess up the core game balance way too much.
User

by Juice Box » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Sort of offtopic, but, Kevin, what program did you use to make those pictures? I think my little bro would find it pretty interesting.
User

by dimumurray » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Juice Box wrote:Sort of offtopic, but, Kevin, what program did you use to make those pictures? I think my little bro would find it pretty interesting.

I don't know which apps he used but I have a bunch of recommendations listed in this old thread:

Opensource graphics tools for budding artists...
User

by wailwail » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Kevin. What in the eyes of the holy geek ( :ugeek: ) do I see! IS THAT A JOKE OR WHAT!!!111!!!ONEONEONE!!!111

Seriously, is this a joke? As BBB Said. The part about rephrasing that sentence was a little "believable". But the thing about you being a flag who attacked Ironhide? :oops:
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by Zonoro13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:59 pm

wailwail wrote:Kevin. What in the eyes of the holy geek ( :ugeek: ) do I see! IS THAT A JOKE OR WHAT!!!111!!!ONEONEONE!!!111

Seriously, is this a joke? As BBB Said. The part about rephrasing that sentence was a little "believable". But the thing about you being a flag who attacked Ironhide? :oops:

Did you even read the whole post? :roll:
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by billakoz16 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:18 pm

The_TaTs wrote:
dimumurray wrote:Kevin...have you given any thought to making your own games? There are a lot of indie game dev communities springing up these days (I'm a part of the NY scene myself). You should seek out an indie team to be a part of or start one yourself...I'd love to see what you come up with your own original IP (Intellectual Property).

This is exactly what I was thinking while reading the whole thing on my way to work. Luckily, mi trusty crime fighting butler was driving the Maserati.

You should consider studying game design. Seeing as you are already willing to devote your time and creativity to come up with all these ideas. Some of them are actually pretty cool, while the others would mess up the core game balance way too much.

Not to offend you or anything but the field of game design is a very tough one.
Don't consider yourselve as great examples, you guys hit a goldmine. Imagine working for EA or being forced to make shovelware with income less than the minimum wage. If you are of-course lucky enough to have a job.
Not to scare you, but you have to really love it to do it.

Special Towers Here!
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:26 pm

billakoz16 wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:

Not to offend you or anything but the field of game design is a very tough one.
Don't consider yourselve as great examples, you guys hit a goldmine. Imagine working for EA or being forced to make shovelware with income less than the minimum wage. If you are of-course lucky enough to have a job.
Not to scare you, but you have to really love it to do it.

We don't consider ourselves a great example on anything except on how to survive our own dumb mistakes. :lol:

Anything related to the entertainment industry is super though.And requires a great level of passion and commitment

It just that, if you are going to devote time, effort, and creativity to a specific video game, then perhaps you should try to make your own indie games, instead of banging your head against the wall with the Kingdom Rush series.

And the conditions you mention do not describe the video game industry as a whole. You don't have to make shovel work, you don't have to get below-minimum wage salaries. As with anything else work related, it all depends on many factors (network, skills, luck, effort).
Is it hard? Yes. Is it worth a shot if you have the skill set and the enthusiasm? Also yes.

In the end, what you do with your time and talent is up to you. But I think is always good to at least take a chance.
User

by billakoz16 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Now i just said that there are other parts of the industry that you guys were lucky and taalented enough not to pass through.
Anyway, Let me post my KR ideas for fun and write my books for a living (or whatever anyone does) Writing a nice little suggestion (even a 12 special tower set that takes pages of feedback to finely balance and hours to execute is relativly relaxing ;))

Special Towers Here!
User

by phmsd » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Extended Hero levels would make the game far too easy, and considering the large power difference between paid and free heroes in KR and Origins, they would be the deciding factor in victory. Classes would be interesting to have, but they'd have to be balanced between each other to once again avoid making/breaking the game.

I agree. What I think would be really nice was if by completing some challenges (kill N enemies with X skill, hero not dying in 3 stages in a roll, ...) with each hero you unlock some things that don't affect the balance of the game, like new colours for the hero skin, new skins, new quotes, some lore about the hero, etc...
User

by The_TaTs » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:48 pm

phmsd wrote:
Extended Hero levels would make the game far too easy, and considering the large power difference between paid and free heroes in KR and Origins, they would be the deciding factor in victory. Classes would be interesting to have, but they'd have to be balanced between each other to once again avoid making/breaking the game.

I agree. What I think would be really nice was if by completing some challenges (kill N enemies with X skill, hero not dying in 3 stages in a roll, ...) with each hero you unlock some things that don't affect the balance of the game, like new colours for the hero skin, new skins, new quotes, some lore about the hero, etc...

Sounds good.

I'll relay it to the rest of the team. :)
User

by Finwer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:34 pm

phmsd wrote:I agree. What I think would be really nice was if by completing some challenges (kill N enemies with X skill, hero not dying in 3 stages in a roll, ...) with each hero you unlock some things that don't affect the balance of the game, like new colours for the hero skin, new skins, new quotes, some lore about the hero, etc...

You have my support for this one :mrgreen:
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by BubblesMaster » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:50 am

Late to the party, but I've been gone. Good enough of an excuse?

The amount of content packed into this post is so, admirable. I don't know how else to say it. It's obvious you spent a long time on this, and no idea feels rushed or leaves you with the impression that it had less time spent on it than an other.

Short answer, awesome job. I swear, if the devs added ANY ideas from the forums, they better be yours.

:mrgreen:
The Universe has a wonderful sense of humor, the trick is learning to take a joke. Do, or do not. There is no try. Why so serious? 'To Start Press Any Key' Where's The Any Key?
User

by kevin32 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:47 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback, both for and against these suggestions:

Juice Box wrote:Sort of offtopic, but, Kevin, what program did you use to make those pictures? I think my little bro would find it pretty interesting.

I use Windows Paint and Paint.NET for the art and the effects. When I begin a project, I take lots of screen shots, then cutting and pasting parts of those shots together to achieve the look I want. I then touch it up by changing colors, applying the special effects, adding quote bubbles, etc.

Big Bad Bug wrote:Extended Hero levels would make the game far too easy, and considering the large power difference between paid and free heroes in KR and Origins, they would be the deciding factor in victory.

This statement implies that when a hero levels up, he must somehow have a tremendous buff in stats. This can be easily balanced in a number of ways, but I'll share just one: At Level 10, Alric deals 27-40 attack damage. Everytime he goes up a level, his max damage increases only by 1 point, which means at level 30, he'll deal 27-60 attack damage. And if even that seems too much, then it can be programmed to where anytime he swings his sword there's only say, a 30% chance that he'll deal anything above level 10 attack damage.

The purpose of extended levels is to give the feeling of progression, which in my opinion is a nice feature if you're going to be playing the game long term.

Big Bad Bug wrote:Random Creep Patterns will spit in the face of "strategy" for Kingdom Rush. It'd be wacky to toggle this on or off for early stages, but in later levels, it would have the luck-based events of Endless Mode, but now the feeling that the player is supposed to somehow "overcome" this.

This too can be easily balanced in a few ways, but I'll share just one: Let's say the first wave is 10 goblins, and the second wave is 4 orcs. Does it really matter if it's switched up to where the first wave is 4 orcs, and the second is 10 goblins? Is strategy really spat upon? It's not like wave one is going to be a dozen ogres. You'll only see creeps that match the combined strength of your tower setup.

I can see your comment hints at a dislike for how endless mode operates. I think the random feature in endless needs abit of touching up so that it's not like the next 5 waves all come from the same direction. But the purpose of random creep patterns is to add an element of surprise to gameplay, which keeps the player challenged. Once the randomness is balanced, then it really doesn't matter who's coming or from which direction. As long as you build a balanced set of towers across the stage, where all 4 tower types are represented, there's still a high chance of victory.

Big Bad Bug wrote:Mini-bosses randomly showing up is a different idea that poses the same issues as RCP.

Mini-bosses would only show up on the final wave, when your towers are strong enough to handle them.

The_TaTs wrote:This is exactly what I was thinking...You should consider studying game design. Seeing as you are already willing to devote your time and creativity to come up with all these ideas.

Thanks. It's crossed my mind a few times, but I'm not really interested in doing that. Suggesting features for a game is fun, especially if you see them come to fruition, but game development isn't my life dream. I'd much rather play games than make them.

The_TaTs wrote:...if you are going to devote time, effort, and creativity to a specific video game, then perhaps you should try to make your own indie games, instead of banging your head against the wall with the Kingdom Rush series.

This statement seems to suggest that Ironhide has some rigid plan for the series that cannot be influenced by the playerbase. Of course, I don't think that and will therefore continue to make suggestions I feel will enhance the game in some way. Sometimes, those whose eyes aren't glued to the code can see things from a fresh perspective that's worth considering.

billakoz16 wrote:Let me post my KR ideas for fun and write my books for a living (or whatever anyone does) Writing a nice little suggestion (even a 12 special tower set that takes pages of feedback to finely balance and hours to execute is relativly relaxing ;))

This. If I only cared about the game, then my suggestions would be entirely text-based. I actually enjoy doing the artwork that goes with the suggestions. To me personally, it isn't necessary to build a new burger restaurant from scratch, if all you really want is lettuce, tomatoes and pickles. I'd much rather ask an established restaurant to add those to their menu.
Last edited by kevin32 on Sun May 10, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:14 pm

@Kevin32
The whole purpose of RCP is to surprise, as you just stated. If that's the case, then it really doesn't have that much strategy involved other than knowing to use OP towers to insure success. Goblins and Orcs switching up is not too bad, but imagine such things in Dusk Chateau, when you don't know whether to use mages or artillery because either one might end up being needed, and the randomness could force out Phantoms directly after a horde of Werewolves. I'd like to think that anything in the game could be completed without selling towers, and that would pretty much ruin that. No hostility intended. ;)
BBB

by kevin32 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Goblins and Orcs switching up is not too bad, but imagine such things in Dusk Chateau, when you don't know whether to use mages or artillery because either one might end up being needed, and the randomness could force out Phantoms directly after a horde of Werewolves. I'd like to think that anything in the game could be completed without selling towers, and that would pretty much ruin that.

Yep, it would take balancing, especially for the brute and specialized creeps to make sure the player is given a fair opportunity to complete the stage. If random creep patterns were implemented, I think it should be a separate challenge for the stages, and not a replacement for the original campaign/heroic/iron stages. That way we have both a "predictable" experience, and a random one.

Big Bad Bug wrote:No hostility intended. ;)

Bug, your name contains the word "Bad", your avatar is death, and your location is my worst nightmares. Where's the hostility in that?
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

by wailwail » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:28 pm

LOL Laughed so hard at " Bug, your name contains the word "Bad", your avatar is death, and your location is my worst nightmares. Where's the hostility in that? "
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:59 pm

kevin32 wrote:Yep, it would take balancing, especially for the brute and specialized creeps to make sure the player is given a fair opportunity to complete the stage. If random creep patterns were implemented, I think it should be a separate challenge for the stages, and not a replacement for the original campaign/heroic/iron stages. That way we have both a "predictable" experience, and a random one.

Randomization would be a nice challenge, I admit. It'd be cool if the small chance of an unfair wave was remedied by giving double cash calling waves early and recharging spells faster, which would give the levels a lot of the intensity that luck-based stuff like this normally has. Layers could save up this gold for emergencies such as a huge wave on one part of the level that surprises them, to get rid of the inbalance. The only real issue that I can imagine now is that the amateur players will complain to Ironhide that this is a scheme to get them to buy OP heroes.

Kevin32 wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:No hostility intended. ;)

Bug, your name contains the word "Bad", your avatar is death, and your location is my worst nightmares. Where's the hostility in that?

:twisted: :lol:
BBB

Previous