New Kingdom Rush Tower Ideas!

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

New Kingdom Rush Tower Ideas!

by OniTheGreat » Fri May 29, 2015 4:08 am

In case a new Kingdom Rush game is coming out, either a new game entirely or one that wraps all 3 up in one map, I feel like we should have some new towers to help us out.

Keep in mind I'll continue to update this with any ideas you guys have that I really like, and with new towers I come up with.

As of now, I only have:
-Barracks (3 ideas)
-Wizard (3 ideas)
-Archers (3 ideas)
-Artillery (3 ideas)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Barracks

Barracks lack diversity. Sure, they have different stats and abilities, but at the end of the day, it seems any Lv4 Barracks tower will do the job just as well as the next guy.
These few ideas might not add any more diversity, but I feel like the real kicker behind the Barracks is the creativity of the troops.

Samurai Dojo
Trains Samurais, honorable men clad in heavy, yet flexible armor. Their swords are said to have been made from steel folded 1,000 times over!
Cost: 230
Soldiers: 3
Health: 280
Damage (Physical): 33-47
Armor: Medium
Respawn: 8 seconds

Thunder Strike
Cost: (225/225/255)
Samurai can channel lightning through their blade, targeting a ground unit but being able to chain damage to flying units as well.
Damage: (60/80/100) Magical, True
Chain: (3/5/7) Enemies
Cooldown: 18 seconds
*Damage is halved after hitting the initial target. Chain targets take (30/40/50) damage in this matter.
Strike quick, aim to kill!

Jikkō (Execution)
Cost: (300/100/100)
A technique that aims directly for enemy vital points, with a chance to instantly kill.
Damage: (100/200/300)
Chance to instantly kill: (25/50/75)%
Cooldown: 20 seconds
Quick and painless.

Storm Blades
Cost: (300)
Trains Samurais to strike like a thunderstorm.
Attack speed bonus: (+40%)
*Each attack has a chance to deal True damage.
I am the eye of the storm!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dragoons
Royal guards with a supposed connection to dragons. Even if they aren't related to dragons, they fight with the might of them!
Cost: 260
Soldiers: 4
Health: 200
Damage (Physical): 16-30
Armor: Low
Respawn: 7 seconds

Dragon Lance
Cost: (300/150/150)
The Dragoon releases a flurry of rapid lance thrusts, dealing (40/70/100) True damage.
Can you keep up?

Sky's the Limit
Cost: (250/250/250)
Dragoons can throw a Dragon Lance, dealing huge damage to enemies in a group on both land, and air.
Damage: (40/120/200) Magical
There is no escape!

Will of the Dragon
Cost: (325/325)
Dragoons are trained to combat even the mightiest of dragons.
Armor bonus: (Medium/High)
Chance to survive a lethal blow: (7.5/15)%
A dragon never dies!

Hardy Hall
A rag-tag team of pirates looking for a quick piece of gold is an easy crowd to convince, but this doesn't mean they aren't worthy opponents.
Soldiers: 3
Health: 320
Damage (Physical): 29-61
Damage (Physical, Ranged): 18-48 (Cooldown: 5 seconds)
Armor: None
Magic Armor: None
Respawn: 8 seconds

Shoot-N-Loot!
Cost: (225/225/225)
Pirates get a (30/45/60)% chance to steal (1/2/3)% gold on each attack. Enemies still drop their regular gold drop upon being killed.
Finder's, keeper's!

Drink up!
Cost: (250/100/100)
Pirates can drink a mug of enchanted rum, healing (80/160/320) health.
Cooldown: 16 seconds
Drink up, me hearties! Yo-ho!

Weigh Anchor!
Cost: (250/150/150)
Pirates use giant anchors to bash their enemies' skulls in, dealing (75/150/225) damage and stunning their target for (2/4/6) seconds.
Cooldown: 22 seconds
Yarr, harr, fiddle dee-dee!

Wizards

Wizards get some of the coolest towers. Why? Magic.... Or IronHide loves the wizards. Probably one of those. I want to keep the trend going and make some truly unique wizard towers.

Moon Druid
An elderly folk, the Moon Druids of the far north have trained endless nights in the cold to master the power of the moon.
Cost: 300
Range: Great
Damage (Magic): 58-91
Rate: Slow

Moon Shine
Cost: (300/200/200)
The Moon Druid blasts an area with harsh moonlight.
Damage: (90/240/390) Magical
Stun: 7 seconds
Cooldown: 21 seconds
By the light of the moon!

Lunar Sentinels
Cost: (350/350)
Summons Lunar Sentinels to block and fight enemies.
Sentinels: (1/2)
Health: (200)
Damage: (24-48/31-55) Magical
Summon Cooldown: (15/11) seconds
*Sentinels can fling crescent-shaped, glowing projectiles at foes for (20-42/27-49) magic damage every 1.4 seconds.
To protect the moon from devastation!

Warlock Tower
Seemingly demonic beings, it's still unclear whether the Warlocks get their power from training, or by less... desirable means.
Cost: 300
Range: Average
Damage (Magic): 72-115
Rate: Very Slow

Hellfire
Cost: (350/200/200)
Unleashes a sea of flames to smite all enemies in his way!
Damage: (100/250/400) Magic, Ignites foes
It's Judgement Day!

Oblivion
Cost: (200/200/200)
The Warlock summons a swarm of demonic vines to ensnare enemies.
Damage: None
Enemy Speed while entangled: (50/35/20)%
Duration: (6/8/10) seconds
Cooldown: 25 seconds
The only place you're going is the Underworld.

Voodoo Master
Some call him crazy, but deep, down inside him, the Voodoo Master knows exactly how much better he is than everyone else.
Cost: 350
Damage (Physical): 18-30
Rate: Very Fast
(Rapidly fires small needles at enemies. Upgrade paths give the needles special effects.)

Pins and Needles
Pins stay inside of enemies they hit, causing various... effects.
Slowing: (Pins slow enemies. The more pins, the slower the enemy.)
Damage Over Time: (Pins deal damage over time. The more pins, the more damage over time.)
Explosion: Pins explode after (8) seconds upon sticking in an enemy, dealing (40) Magic area damage.
You may feel a slight tingling sensation!

Master Control
Cost: (400/200/200)
Uses Voodoo to take control of an enemy afflicted by Pins and Needles.
Duration: (8/11/14) seconds
Cooldown: (26/24/22) seconds
All your stats are belong to me!

Archers

Archers are nice. They're typically cheap, but come with a lower DPS. The one flaw Archer towers have is their low damage output.
Artillery is my favorite tower, being a useful tower in all KR games at level 1, even in later levels. So, as revenge, here are some really strong Archer towers.

Ballista Tower
Ballista Towers use siege weaponry to overpower waves of enemy troops. When Ballista Storm is ready, unarmored enemies beware!
Cost: 275
Range: Extreme
Damage (Physical): 40-65
Rate: Average

Flaming Arrows
Cost: (200/200/200)
How are flaming arrows based on chance? Dunno, but every attack will have a (10/20/30)% chance to light enemies on fire.
Light 'em up.

Ballista Storm
Cost: (275/145/145)
Launches a storm of arrows, raining down (60/90/120) Physical damage to each enemy on ground or in air, in a large area.
Cooldown: 17 seconds
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Mithril Archers
These fabulous marksmen focus on stunning and stopping their targets while dishing out loads of sparkly mithril arrows.
Cost: 250
Damage (Physical): 18-27
Rate: Fast

Crystalizer Arrows
Fires a volley of Crystalizer arrows, stopping up to (4/8/12) enemies in their tracks.
Damage (Magic): (35/45/55)
Duration: (2/4/6) seconds
Cooldown: (30/28/26) seconds
Freeze! Don't move!

Reflector Beams
Enchanted bows fire specialized beams of light to slow and silence enemies.
Damage (Magic): (10/10/10)
Slow: (3/6/12) seconds
Silence: (3/6/12) seconds
Cooldown: (28/27/26) seconds
Close your eyes, go to sleep.

Tribal Flatbows
These tribal huntresses use out-dated bows, but their magical enchantments more than make up for it.
Damage (Physical): 22-36
Rate: Average

Enchantment of Blood
Cost: (250/200/200)
An enchantment that powers up the user's weapon upon making a kill.
Damage Bonus on Kill: (+10/+30/+50) (32-46/52-66/72-86)
Duration: (6/7/8) seconds
Cooldown: (20/18/16) seconds
*Usable only on getting the killing blow of an enemy with 320 health or more.
These prey are unworthy of my bow!

Enchantment of Piercing
Cost: (150/150/150)
An enchantment that powers up the user's weapon to pierce enemy armor.
Bonus: Ignores armor
Crit Bonus: (+17/+22/+27)% crit chance
Duration: (4/7/10) seconds
Cooldown: (26/24/22) seconds
No hide is thick enough.

Artillery

There's no question that Artillery are the strongest towers in the game. The Big Bertha and Tesla x104 are testaments to how good artillery can get.
Since Kingdom Rush the first, we haven't had anything nearly as strong enter the battlefield. I'm going to try to break the records again with these all-new artillery masterpieces.

Oiler Boiler
A terribly complex Dwarven killing machine, the Oiler Boiler dumps pools of burning oil on anything that dare walk by it.
Cost: 360
Range: Short
Damage: 16-22
Rate: Constant (Deals its damage every second)
*Tower naturally slows enemies by 20%!

Superheated Pipeline
Cost: (250/250/250)
Oil is upgraded to flaming oil, which ignites enemies, and deals (+2/+2/+2) damage per second (18-24/20-26/22-28).
Steam blasts out from the boiler each second, indirectly dealing (10-15/12-20/14-25) damage to aerial enemies that pass overhead.
Is it hot in here, or is that just you?

Volcanic Oil-ruption
Cost: (300/300/300)
Launches 7 giant blobs of oil all over the map, dealing damage and slowing enemies. Blobs stay on the ground initially for 5 seconds.
Damage (Magic, True): (80/130/180)
2nd Upgrade Bonus: Oil is lit on fire, dealing (22-22) damage over time and igniting enemies. It also stays on the ground for 8 seconds.
3rd Upgrade Bonus: Adds 2 blobs, and reduces the cooldown by 3 seconds.
Cooldown: 33 seconds
Ya might wanna evacuate the area!

Blacksteel Bomber
A modified artillery piece capable of shooting extreme distances. Why haven't we thought of this before?
Cost: 400
Range: Extreme
Damage (Physical): 68-114
Rate: Very Slow

Heavy Impact
Cost: (300/300)
Fires a massive cannonball, stunning enemies in good-sized area for (6/8) seconds, and dealing (116-185/126-205) damage.
Cooldown: 32 seconds
Massive momentum, massive damage.

Meteor Impact
Cost: (350/300/300)
A gigantic cannon placed atop the tower fires an equally gigantic cannonball. Anyone in its shadows can bid 'farewell'!
Damage (Physical, True): (100/250/400)
Cooldown: 55 seconds
Say hello to the dinosaurs for me!

Plasma Tower
A futuristic cannon that seems to run on magic to the dull-minded. In truth, it's actually the most complex device the Dwarves have ever built!
Cost: 375
Damage (Magic): 22-40
Rate: Slow
*Works like the DWAARP, dealing area damage around the tower itself.

Fire and Lightning
Cost: (300/200/200)
Temporarily pulls back the fusion mechanism, releasing a storm of fire and lightning normally used to make plasma outside the tower.
Damage (Magic): (200/250/300) over (4/5/6) seconds.
Effects (Chances applied each second): (10/20/30)% Change to stun foes for 4 seconds, (10/20/30)% Chance to ignite foes.
Cooldown: 60 seconds
Harnessing the power of the sun!

Plasma Overload
Every attack builds up excess plasma. After 7 attacks, the next attack will gain extra damage and various bonuses.
Overload Damage Bonus: (+50) (105-150)
Overload Recharge Bonus: Removes 1 second from Fire and Lightning's cooldown.
Overload Plasma Pool: A pool of plasma that leaks out of the tower, dealing 100 damage over 4 seconds to any enemies walking on it.
I told you not to cross the streams!

So there you have it. A few ideas for every main category tower. Personally, I love each one. Tell me what you think!
Discuss any issues you have on balancing, or new ideas for towers entirely! I might add them if they're creative, yet reasonable (With credit to the creator, of course).
Last edited by OniTheGreat on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:04 am, edited 8 times in total.
User

Re: New Kingdom Rush Tower Ideas!

by blu3 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:52 am

details on how the towers would look like would paint a more vivid image in my mind, and plasma overload for the plasma tower is overpriced, i wouldn't even get the upgrade for 300
breadsticks
User

Location: Across the street from that place, you know, that place, the one with the sign?

by OniTheGreat » Fri May 29, 2015 11:32 am

I'm in the process of drawing them out. Takes quite a bit more time than making a few words and numbers. Also, I'll lower the Overload price to (300). Then maybe I'll make it a bit more powerful to compensate. Thanks for the feedback!
User

by AnimeAmino33 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:01 am

Your barracks idea are so great mate
SHAME ON YOU AR-CHATLA !
User

by Manijure » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:08 am

Really liking the towers, especially the quotes! Some of the damage stats could be nerfed a little for balance (55-100 damage for the Plasma Tower is high, considering the DWAARP only deals 28-50 damage), but overall, it's very creative! :)

I do want to hear what BBB has to say about your ideas...
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by Oof_Shunt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:12 am

All of these are cool but they've already been done,,, it's like you're describing the towers that are already in the games,,, that being said anything with the word 'mithril' in it I'd be all over that
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:41 am

As soon as someone moves this to fanfiction it won't be in the wrong topic anymore. ;)

Since you asked ( :mrgreen: ), here are my thoughts which pretty much reflect the above post that almost ninja'd me:

The Samurai Dojo is pretty OP, and you were right about how it doesn't solve the problem of barracks being really similar. The chain strike is cool, but I don't know if it's an ability or a passive, the latter being extremely OP and the former requiring a long cooldown to comensate. The other skills are passive stat bonuses, which is lame. Why make a tower if it's just a bunch of statistical upgrades? Have abilities that contribute to a theme and playstyle which ultimately achieve the same goal of either making the tower more durable or offensively effective, but not through boring number buffs. Durax is strong but he doesn't become that way because he has an ability slot that increases his stats and ability power by 50/100/150%, he has a power that clones himself to create a playstyle around that idea, achieving the same effect but in a much funner way. Also, why are Samurai resistant to magic? Vez'nan isn't resistant to magic, the Forest Keepers and Holy Order aren't, Nivus, Magnus, Elora, and Arivan aren't, and to broaden the scope, not a single allied unit in the game is resistant to magic even when they fit the role better than some Japanese warriors.

The Dragoons are the same way as the Samurai, with nothing but stat boosts. The lance attack seems nice, but the lack of detail regarding how exactly the ability works makes balance and purpose questionable. Also, just like with magic resistance, what have these units done to warrant getting 4 of them instead of the usual 3?

The pirates are a bit cooler, even if they rip off the Assassins, at least they're stealing from arguably the most fun barrack in the game. They also steal Circle of Life/Dwarfwheiser, but the stun ability is something interesting as it adds to their blocking ability very well. I still think it needs a lot of improvement regarding detail, balance, and originality, but it's a step up from the previois towers.

The Moon Druid is a cool tower, and as ridiculously OP as it is, I like the unit-summoning skill and stun, which all contribute to keeping enemies at bay in groups, making it very supportive and good against the specific threat of fast, armored enemies, which doesn't exist as of now, but would be cool in the future. Best tower so far. ;)

The Warlock has a pretty good setup as well, slowing down enemies so he can group them together and destroy everyone in a big explosion of fire. As simple as it is, it would definitely be really fun. Not as much detail as I'd like, but that's for all of the towers so I won't drive the point any further than necessary.

The Voodoo Master is also a great tower, though I wish you would've gone further with the idea of the Pins and Needles. It seems like a stronger version of the Wild Magus's awesome passive, so something that adds more but retains balance would have been much more appreciated.

How are archers not good in later levels? Their focus is to support the rest of your towers, so building them alongside others is a very effective strategy in a majority of KR and Frontiers levels. Origins shrekt the idea by making mages and archers better than artillery at DPS and crowd control, which isn't good but at least it means that archers are really powerful. I can sum up every archer tower with this: The ideas are pretty good, but they lack a central playstyle like the mages had and they're all very, very overpowered.

The Oiler Boiler is pretty cool, though it's hard to tell if it's balanced without skill cooldown times. I like the powers, but why does the oil deal magic damage?

The Blacksteel Bomber is the Big Bertha but with OP stats and very OP upgrades. I like the 2nd skill, though, if not for the fact that there's another artillery with an instakill, which again doesn't mix well with the other towers.

The Plasma tower is OP, but it reminds me of the Contained Magus in the contest since it focuses on dealing with groups of armored enemies more effectively than regular artillery, but is less useful against magic foes, making the player decide between equal effeciency over all enemies and imbalanced power toward both types of resistances to create an overall balance. That's great, but it's not balanced because of the OP upgrades and stats, killing the whole purpose of the tower.

You've got potential that will get to a point where it's super awesome, so I wouldn't stop trying to make towers just based off of my opinions on the towers, as this is your first attempt, and I think everyone falls under the category of having lackluster first attempts at FanFiction stuff. :P ;)
BBB

by AerisDraco » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:57 am

Hey, BBB, there is 1 unit with magic resist, Thor.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:13 am

AerisDraco wrote:Hey, BBB, there is 1 unit with magic resist, Thor.

Does the wiki say that? That was my bad because I put that in there after seeing Thor take reduced damage from a Pillager, but it's the Pillager himself who's bugged with physical damage because all armored units resist his attacks.
BBB

by OniTheGreat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:08 pm

I almost didn't even notice they were all passively. I believe the chain attack was an ability, and I was considering giving them throwing stars, but thought it would be too OP and you wouldn't choose any other Barracks. I'll try to fix the Voodoo tower to totally revolve around pins and needles, as well as balance the Artillery and Plasma tower.

Although I can't find a good way to get drawings since my iPad stylus just broke, the Plasma tower's design was a lot like that one tower in Kingdom Rush that could build Franky the monster. But more chrome and shiny.
User

by OniTheGreat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:43 pm

I just re-worked most of the towers. Some things I kept, but I changed a LOT. I tried to nerf the Plasma tower as much as possible, the main change being that the cooldown for Fire and Lightning is a whole minute, and Overload only reduces 1 second from the cooldown, but I think it might still be overpowered. Updated the Blacksteel Bomber a lot too to make it less OP. An area insta kill? What was I thinking?

Hope you guys like the update!
User

by OniTheGreat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Oh, and if any of you know connections to anyone high-up in the ranks as far as KR development, or know a better place this could get posted, could you either post this somewhere more popular with credit to me, or to those KR people? If not, just tell me where I can do that, it'll be greatly appreciated!
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:48 pm

Put it in the Fanfiction section of Kingdom Rush. Unfortunately, ideas from other players pretty much never get integrated with the exception of Cronan and the Assassins tower, both of which were made a long time ago.
BBB

by AerisDraco » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:39 pm

Really?
I didn't know those were fan inspired. Any specific user?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:49 pm

It was a very old topic that I happened to read recently while sifting through old topics for fun. I can't find it now, but the Assassin one is still out there. As for Cronan, look up the thread that my first post took place in and it'll be brought up eventually. ;)
BBB

by OniTheGreat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:41 pm

If I do submit these, I think they'll be most interested in the Samurais, Black-Iron Bomber, Voodoo Master, and Mithril Archers, if I were to choose one from each category.
User

by OniTheGreat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:43 pm

The Tribal Flatbows are too similar to the Axe Throwers if you /axe/ me. (I'm sorry for that.) But I loved the Throwers, so it could be an excuse to get something like them in a new game.
User

by Oof_Shunt » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:42 am

How about Dartblowers or Huntresses with Bloodletting as an ability??? Anyways I love the Axethrowers too, more of them would be great.
User

by OniTheGreat » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:19 pm

I may add more towers.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:47 pm

OniTheGreat wrote:I may add more towers.

Have you considered making ideas for heroes and enemies/bosses? Perhaps a mini-campaign with your imagination could raise the bar for future Fanfiction threads. ;)
BBB

Next