2015 Halloween Contest

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

2015 Halloween Contest

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:40 pm

Horror-ween Contest

Pick any horror/Halloween movie and morph it into a mini-update for any of the 3 games! Add a related hero, 2-6 new enemies, a boss, a new environment, and 1-3 level-specific additions, all related to the movie of your choice, and Kingdom-Rushify them all!

So, requirements for the contest:

You make a mini-update of two/three levels that are based on a halloween or horror movie:
  • Level intros (General, we've X'd the Y and now Z has appeared.. etc)
  • 2-6 new enemies
  • 1 new boss
  • A new environment setting (like Grassland, desert, forest, wasteland, etc)
  • 1-3 level specific additions (such as Magic Blossoms, Poison Pool, Thermal Fissures, etc)
  • A new hero

You must state the film you have chosen at the start of your entry, you will be penalised for straying too far from the original subject material.

Any additional traits of mini-campaigns may be added in, but they aren't necessary. Hand-drawn or stylised artwork is disqualified, as it makes the entrant too obvious.

All entries are due by October 30th so that voting may start before Halloween. Voting will go up to November 10th to decide the winner of the secret prize. (Hint: It begins with "N" and ends in "othing.")

Let's do this!
BBB

Re: 2015 Halloween Contest

by AerisDraco » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:16 pm

Do they have to be movies?
Or are novels allowed?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by RZRider » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Would some movies that have quite a bit of action, but still stay in horror be considered? Like jurassic park( I will not use this )
Does it have to be a movie or do TV shows count to?
If one of those would count, I would gladly make a mini campaign, but my ideas are kind of sucky
Last edited by RZRider on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by The Kingmaker » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Roughly how far can we stray? I have a few ideas but none can stretch to an entire campaign.

Alternatively could, like Aeris and RZRider said we use books, TV or something else.

Further alternatively, could we use a few inspirations?
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by RZRider » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Can we add a few things that were not in the movie. I really want to add a flying boss but not many horror movies have what I was thinking of?
Can The people making the mini-campaigns add level specific towers. Like the sylvian hall and stuff like that?
I am a 12 year old boy who loves lifting weights and going outside. I am writing two books at the moment and learning programming. I love gaming and other nerdy hobbies. I am a active forum member and to all new members, welcome
User

Location: The house in Indiana were we finally got unlimited Data FOR INTERNET!!

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:04 pm

You have to try to stay within the source material, so no flying bosses or pre-existing towers that don't belong.

There are plenty of movies out there to use, so novels and shows seem unnecessary. Enemies don't have to be actual characters from the movies, but just based off of them. Imagine some Freddy Krueger inspired enemies, where one type of foe slashes barracks with sharp claws, and another enemies leaps between lanes by travelling through dreams. That's all the similarity that you need, which is definitely enough from plenty of movies. :)
BBB

by RZRider » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Okay. I will think of something. How do you put the entry in?
User

by RZRider » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:52 pm

Does it have to be a regualar hero or can it be a level specific hero
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:57 pm

RZRider wrote:Does it have to be a regualar hero or can it be a level specific hero

A regular hero, if it was level specific it would say "level specific hero" in the post.

Submit your entries to the contest starter, which is BBB.

Guys, you have the option of a horror film OR a Halloween film. They are not the same, and horror films aren't always just scary. Google is your friend.
Yes it's me

by RZRider » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Do you have to put the wave composition in?
User

by RZRider » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:14 pm

Just finished first level!
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:22 pm

RZRider wrote:Do you have to put the wave composition in?

Put in, what is asked for in the first post. The level intro will suffice, it's the idea that the contest is for, not the specifics of every single wave. They're boring to read.

RZRider wrote:Just finished first level!

There is an edit button, please stop posting repeatedly, and a running commentary of what you have made is not necessary.
Yes it's me

by SealDarklight » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:54 am

Does it have to be horror movies and Halloween. What about video games and novels? They have horror as well and other than that culture reference? I also want a flying boss in the game just like RZrider said i mean there is none.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:05 am

SealDarklight wrote:Does it have to be horror movies and Halloween. What about video games and novels? They have horror as well and other than that culture reference? I also want a flying boss in the game just like RZrider said i mean there is none.

This has already been asked and answered. It's a Halloween contest, so yes, it needs to be horror or halloween (psst, it's called a theme).

Big Bad Bug wrote:You have to try to stay within the source material, so no flying bosses or pre-existing towers that don't belong.

There are plenty of movies out there to use, so novels and shows seem unnecessary. Enemies don't have to be actual characters from the movies, but just based off of them. Imagine some Freddy Krueger inspired enemies, where one type of foe slashes barracks with sharp claws, and another enemies leaps between lanes by travelling through dreams. That's all the similarity that you need, which is definitely enough from plenty of movies. :)

I dn't know why the sudden obsession with a flying boss other that it was mentioned once in the Ask the Studio thread. There's nothing stopping you making a flying boss, just make sure it fits the theme. You can't find a single horror film that has something flying in it?

The Birds
Gremlins II
Jeepers Creepers 2
The Fly

Try googling "horror movies with..." And see where that takes you.
Yes it's me

by Chimto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:45 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:There are plenty of movies out there to use, so novels and shows seem unnecessary.

I don't think this is a good reason for completely forbidding them from being used as references. Is there any negative consequences of allowing them, anyway?
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by truteal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:03 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:You have to try to stay within the source material, so no flying bosses or pre-existing towers that don't belong.

What about a world based on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos
User

by Chimto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:53 am

That'd fit the horror criterion, but not the movie one. I think that's pretty arbitrary to be honest.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Part of the challenge should be to strictly use movies only. H.P. Lovecraft's books have some movie adaptations, so those would work. The problem is that sticking to the source material means that you'd have to stay true to he film, not the book that it was inspired by.
BBB

by Ninja » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:43 pm

I have three questions about this contest:

#1.Are we allowed to take inspiration from
multiple movies?

#2.What are the maximum and minimum number
of levels we are allowed to make?

#3.Can we decide to make more than one hero
or simply choose to make no hero(es)?(Because
hero making is rather time consuming and I have
a lot of other things I need to do in the day and
also currently have several FanFic threads running.)
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:20 pm

1) A series of movies is fine, but don't combine 2 separate franchises, even if the same people had a hand in making each film.

2) 2-3 levels, like a mini-campaign update.

3) 1 hero is requires to reflect an actual update, though you can have a level-specific hero as 1 of your 3 campaign-specific additions. :)
BBB

Next