some random mage towers

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

some random mage towers

by Magnus0 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:35 pm

It's been a while since I made some fan fiction. I came up with to mage towers, one trading damage for reliable crowd control, and another focusing more on dps while having some utility as well. I hope you like them. :)


SHINE

Basic concept: the Seemingly Harmless Illuminationradiationinstallation No. E-3P, or SHINE in short, is a just a small triangular platform on the ground. It looks ancient, like a remnant of an old temple, yet it's very modern and complex, and very misterious. When you build the tower, a small grassy hill, complete with patches of flowers and butterflies, starts to form, on top of which the triangular platform rests. It has one little barling on every corner of the triangle. A mysterious, tall women operates the complex installation by just standing on top of it. She can channel the power of the triangle through her body, enabling her to cast illuminating balls of light. The woman wears a dress which has a black and a white strap divided diagonally, and brightly colored butterflies all over it. The balls of light are white in the middle, but the surface is colored brightly, often changing colours (the color of an orb cycles randomly through the colors of the rainbow).

The lightballs move incredibly slow. when attacking from max range, the woman can cast two more balls before the first one has hit its target. As such, the tower is bad at catching leaks. To make up for that, it has lots of range potential. Whenever an enemy has died while a lightball is still on it's way to hit that enemy, the ball will indepently seek a new target within a range of 'average', and throw itself at it, much more quickly this time. An enemy can't be targeted by more than one ball at once, thus the tower will spread it's attacks out over a couple of enemies. The balls of light briefly slow enemies too.

damage: 40-65 magic damage. Applies a 80% slow that decays over 2 seconds.
fire rate: average
range: long. light balls that have to seek a new target use a range of average.
cost: 300

1. triquetrous prisms (3s): the misterious lady snaps her fingers and three prisms will appear. They will each fly to one of the barlings on the triangular installation and plant themselves into the barlings. every 3 seconds, one of the prisms will fire a lightbeam that is either white or colored in one of the colours of the rainbow (the chances for this are random and it's only there for visual flair). The beam stuns the target for 1/2/3 seconds and blinds all enemies in a small area around it for 4/7/10 seconds. Blinded enemies have a 15/25/25% of missing their attacks. After an enemy has been stunned by a lightbeam, it will be immume for this ability for 9 seconds.

Cost: 250/250/250

2. butterblast (22s): the triangle emits a brightly colored, butterfly-shaped rune as large as the range of the tower. After a brief delay, the rune flashes violently and immediately starts to fade away again. This flash deals 90/150/210 magic damage to all enemies it hits. Enemies that are slowed or blinded will also be stunned for 1/2/3 seconds.

Cost: 300/200/200


Sandstream Summoner

Basic conept: the sandstream summoner summons upwards streams of sand out the ground right under an enemy, kind of like a geyser. This stream of sands lifts the enemy into the air before plummeting down again. The enemy is left airborne, and has no other choice than to accept the fact that he will fall back to the ground. This deals aditional physical damage in a very, very small area around the enemy, as well as to the enemy itself.

damage: 75-125 magic damage + 15-35 physical area damage
Fire rate: very slow
Range: long
Cost: 400 gold

1. moustachenose mole (passive): The sandstream summoner summons a mole-like creature that helps in combat. It has the following stats (and a specuactular moustache):

Health: 400/500/600
Damage: 30-50/50-70/70-90 physical single-target damage.
Armor: low/low/low
Respawn time: 10s
speed: very fast (the mole can dig itself underground like Karkinos)
special ability (25s): the mole creature stomps the ground, creating a sand stream under every nearby enemy which deals 50%/75%/100% of the tower's basic attack damage.

Cost: 350/150/150

2. walls of sand (16s): A rectangular wall made out of sand rises from the ground. It starts moving foreward (roughly at the pace of Alric's sand warriors), pushing enemies along with it. The wall will continue shoving down the road until a total of 4/5/6 enemies are dragged along with the wall, or after around 4 seconds. The wall will then crumble and scatter and a wave of sand will overflow nearby enemies, dealing 55/80/105 magic damage and slowing the enemies by half for the next 2/3/4 seconds.

Cost: 250/250/250

These towers are prolly OP but eh, whatever. :roll:
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: rage valley, where I slay endless waves of orcs

Re: some random mage towers

by Magnus0 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Uhm yeah, bump.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: rage valley, where I slay endless waves of orcs

Re: some random mage towers

by magicmetal03 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:23 pm

Oh yeah, umm... as you were saying? Yeah, umm....Sandstream mage tower's wall of sand's recharge time is a little too much. Perhaps 20/18/16 sec?
P-Pencil
Image

Mostly ded.
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:20 pm
Location: In your brain.

Re: some random mage towers

by Magnus0 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:53 pm

magicmetal03 wrote:Oh yeah, umm... as you were saying? Yeah, umm....Sandstream mage tower's wall of sand's recharge time is a little too much. Perhaps 20/18/16 sec?

I think you are right. The ability isn't cheap, but it's also pretty strong. 20/18/16 seems pretty good to me.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: rage valley, where I slay endless waves of orcs

Re: some random mage towers

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:03 pm

Hey Magnus, sorry for not giving you any feedback yet. :oops:

Firstly, the amount of detail is awesome. I love it. These towers not only come to life with your descriptions, but they seem to have more detail than even the other KRO towers. Truly, it is commendable. :D

My first question with SHINE is about the slow effect. Since it lasts for 2 seconds and Average attack rates are about 1 second, does that mean that the slow stacks or is it merely reset with each attack? Either way, it's a cool property of the tower's magic and a nice reminder of the first KR. ;)

Speaking of the attack rate, it seems pretty OP for a tower to deal that much damage with a faster attack rate than most other mages. The damage is about the same as the High Elven Mage, but faster and with better range. ;)

Tri Prisms has a lot of flair, which really captures the essence of the tower's theme. :) I wish it had a different effect than stunning, since it makes the natural slow effect of the attacks useless since stunned enemies aren't moving anyways. What if the skill also had a slow effect, which would stack with the base attacks? Beyond that, blindness works in sensible way even if the chance is somewhat low. I like how it is a purely supportive skill that deals no damage at all, only causing debuffs to enemies.

Butterblast is pretty disappointing, honestly. It's an AOE with the possibility of stunning, and UP to boot, since Eldritch Doom does more AOE damage as well as instantly killing any enemy. What if the skill was a blinding flash that inflicted Blindness on enemies for a time and causes a permanent burn to already-blinded enemies, each time adding a 10% miss chance for the rest of the enemies' lives? It would make multiple towers even better when used together and be a more unique power. ;)

The Sandstream Summoner is just too awesome. Give it some flaws so I can feel less inferior, please. :P

Although unfeasible in the game as of now due to there not being sprites to fit the enemies being flung upward and falling down, it's hard to imagine this tower actually appearing in the game, but one can dream. :)

The first skill is really great, partly because it's funny and the rest because it works really well with the tower. It keeps enemies stalled long enough for the tower to pick them up and drop them, which gives the mole time to heal or fight another foe, synergizing perfectly.

Wall of Sand is super cool, too. I don't know what else to say about it; it just works. :mrgreen:
BBB
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 7814
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm
Location: Your worst nightmares

Re: some random mage towers

by Magnus0 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:48 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:Hey Magnus, sorry for not giving you any feedback yet. :oops:

Firstly, the amount of detail is awesome. I love it. These towers not only come to life with your descriptions, but they seem to have more detail than even the other KRO towers. Truly, it is commendable. :D

My first question with SHINE is about the slow effect. Since it lasts for 2 seconds and Average attack rates are about 1 second, does that mean that the slow stacks or is it merely reset with each attack? Either way, it's a cool property of the tower's magic and a nice reminder of the first KR. ;)

Speaking of the attack rate, it seems pretty OP for a tower to deal that much damage with a faster attack rate than most other mages. The damage is about the same as the High Elven Mage, but faster and with better range. ;)

Tri Prisms has a lot of flair, which really captures the essence of the tower's theme. :) I wish it had a different effect than stunning, since it makes the natural slow effect of the attacks useless since stunned enemies aren't moving anyways. What if the skill also had a slow effect, which would stack with the base attacks? Beyond that, blindness works in sensible way even if the chance is somewhat low. I like how it is a purely supportive skill that deals no damage at all, only causing debuffs to enemies.

Butterblast is pretty disappointing, honestly. It's an AOE with the possibility of stunning, and UP to boot, since Eldritch Doom does more AOE damage as well as instantly killing any enemy. What if the skill was a blinding flash that inflicted Blindness on enemies for a time and causes a permanent burn to already-blinded enemies, each time adding a 10% miss chance for the rest of the enemies' lives? It would make multiple towers even better when used together and be a more unique power. ;)

The Sandstream Summoner is just too awesome. Give it some flaws so I can feel less inferior, please. :P

Although unfeasible in the game as of now due to there not being sprites to fit the enemies being flung upward and falling down, it's hard to imagine this tower actually appearing in the game, but one can dream. :)

The first skill is really great, partly because it's funny and the rest because it works really well with the tower. It keeps enemies stalled long enough for the tower to pick them up and drop them, which gives the mole time to heal or fight another foe, synergizing perfectly.

Wall of Sand is super cool, too. I don't know what else to say about it; it just works. :mrgreen:

better late than never. :)

First of all, the SHINE can never target an enemy that is already being targeted by another ball of light, unless this ball of light comes from a seperate SHINE tower. If an enemy gets hit by a ball of light (from a second SHINE tower) while still being slowed, the slow strength and duration gets refreshed. The slow gradually decays over time, so at 1 second the slow is only 40%. So if an enemy that is slowed for the remaining 1 second gets hit by another lightball, the slow will refresh to 2 seconds and 80% slow.

about the attack rate... I thought that the sorcerer had a fire rate of average too, so I balanced the SHINE off of that. Later I noticed that the sorcerer has a fire rate of slow, and the sorcerer is OP to begin with... so yeah, my bad :mrgreen:

Hmm, what if a stun would also 'stun' effects like slows and blindness? So when the stun ends, the slow kicks in again. I think that would be the easiest solution.

About butterblast, it's really more similar to furnace blast than to eldritch doom. The butterfly rune is as large as the entire range of the tower, even going beyond the range of the tower at some parts because a butterfly isn't perfectly round of course. It's AoE is pretty massive, and it deals decent damage to every enemy caught in the blast. The stun duration is also pretty decent, especially considering the tower has a very reliable and quick stun to combo with the stun from butterblast (the stuns stack). I don't see how it's that UP with such a massive AoE and area stun. Maybe the cooldown is too long?

I figured that the sandstream summoner would be pretty OP, despite it's super low fire rate. I mean, high magic damage, aoe physical damage and essentially a stun with every attack. That's why I made it more expensive than the average mage tower, if that can even be considered a flaw.

Personally, I really like the combo of walls of sand (pun on balls of steel btw, dunno if you noticed already :D ) and the special ability of the mole. The wall shoves up to 6 enemies along the path, so they all end up closely together. The mole can then come in and stomp all six enemies into ovblivion with his stomp ability. death everywhere! :twisted:

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: rage valley, where I slay endless waves of orcs

Re: some random mage towers

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Sorry about Butterblast; I missed the part about it being the size of the tower's entire range. :shock: The cooldown isn't UP. ;) So, Butterblast is a much better skill than I originally thought. A huge AOE stun like that is actually most like Clobber rather than Furnace Blast, but this is better because it deals magic damage and accompanies a tower that can shoot flying enemies and provide better support to barracks. I would now use this tower in place of a Wierdwood anyday, which is more of a fault of that tower's weakness rather than the SHINE's own power. ;)

The Sandstream Summoner is also a Mage tower? I thought it was a new Druid tower because of its AOE. :lol: It does have awesome combos, and price halts it from being OP because it's not a tower that you can just buy at the start and destroy enemies like the Crossbow Fort or Arcane Archers. ;)
BBB
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 7814
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm
Location: Your worst nightmares

Re: some random mage towers

by Magnus0 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Sorry about Butterblast; I missed the part about it being the size of the tower's entire range. :shock: The cooldown isn't UP. ;) So, Butterblast is a much better skill than I originally thought. A huge AOE stun like that is actually most like Clobber rather than Furnace Blast, but this is better because it deals magic damage and accompanies a tower that can shoot flying enemies and provide better support to barracks. I would now use this tower in place of a Wierdwood anyday, which is more of a fault of that tower's weakness rather than the SHINE's own power. ;)

The Sandstream Summoner is also a Mage tower? I thought it was a new Druid tower because of its AOE. :lol: It does have awesome combos, and price halts it from being OP because it's not a tower that you can just buy at the start and destroy enemies like the Crossbow Fort or Arcane Archers. ;)

Yeah clobber is a much better comparison. I kinda forgot about it because the weirdwood is so UP, so I almost never use it.

How did miss the fact that the sandstream summoner is a mage? Was the title not clear enough? was the magic damage not enough of a clue? :lol:
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: rage valley, where I slay endless waves of orcs

Re: some random mage towers

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:07 pm

I thought the magic damage was just a neat quirk of that specific artillery tower, the same way that the slow effect was a neat quirk of the SHINE. :P
BBB
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 7814
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm
Location: Your worst nightmares


Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests