Full set of tower concepts for KR Vengeance.

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Full set of tower concepts for KR Vengeance.

by Magnus0 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:06 pm

I just had some sudden inspiration to make fanfiction again. It´s been a while since I last designed some towers, so let´s see if I still got it. ;)

The mage, archer and barrack towers are based on the gameplay screenshot for Vengeance. I posted the screenshot below here in case you haven't seen it. These three towers will not have an 'appearance' section where I talk about the aesthetics of the tower for reasons that should be obvious.

Shadow Archer
Build cost: 230
Damage: 20-60
Fire rate: average
Range: long

Passive: shots have a 20% chance to daze enemies for 3 second by taking away their sight. Dazed enemies either start moving more slowly, stop completely or even walk the wrong way.

1. Shadow Daze (16s)
Cast a pitch black shadow on the path for 2/3/4 seconds. Enemies that are caught in it will either move more slowly, stop completely or even move the wrong way. Each upgrade also increases the AoE. Cost: 300/150/150

The shadow is slightly animated and gradually changes from black to slightly less dark colors. When the ability ends, the shadow gradually fades away as if it were smoke. This ability in general has a very surreal and confusing feeling to it, as if you´re suddenly left in the dark.

2. Target Lock (passive)
Minimum damage is increased by 10/20/30 when targeting an enemy that either not moving (engaged in combat) or affected by daze. Cost: 200/200/200

This tower is designed to be a leak catcher. It has does very solid and reliable damage with Target Lock upgraded, so it's a great tower to have near the exit together with a barrack tower to stop the enemies. Shadow Daze can stop enemies in their tracks as well, creating disarray in the enemy formation. However, the shadow archer has unreliable dps without target lock though, making it risky to build early on.

Champion Orc Hut
Build cost: 250
HP: 300
Damage: 12-22
Attack rate: 1.5
Armor: low
Respawn: 14s

Passive: Orcs have passive health regeneration of 3HP per second. This regeneration is always active, even during combat.

1. Tag Team (passive)
Orcs deal double/triple the amount of damage when fighting an enemy that is already in melee combat. Cost: 150/150

2. Scavenge (passive)
After killing an enemy, the orc loots useful things from the defeated enemy. This can be either 10 bonus gold or a piece of food that heals 50 HP. These two possibilities have the same chance of happening. If the enemy is humanoid and wears armor better than the orcs default armor, the orc will use the armor of the defeated enemy instead. This better armor rating stays until the orcs death, or until the orc scavenges even better armor. The same holds true for enemies that wield a weapon with better damage than the orcs default damage. Better armor and better weapons are always looted if possible, so they are not mutually exclusive and can even stack with the two basic looting options. This means that a kill on one strong enemy can theoretically grant the orc better armor, better damage and either 10 gold or 50HP. Armor and weapons can be shared between orcs, so enemy loot doesn't go to waste if the orc that gets the final hit on an enemy is already equipped with enemy gear while his allied orcs are not. Cost: 350

3. Execute Blow (12)
Perform a special technique that deals bonus damage based on the current health of enemies. Deal 10/15/20 damage x (max health/current health). There is a damage cap of 100/200/300. Cost: 200/200/200

The orcs are very reliable brawlers. They have a solid HP pool, decent damage and passable armor and respawn rates as well. The main unique feature about the orcs is their scavenge skill. It's a very potent skill that allows the orcs to get more stats and better sustain, but it can be difficult to set up since barracks don't usually have the best killing power. Both tag team and execute blow help with this though. Tag team gives the orcs very high dps against isolated targets. This means that isolating targets and killing them off one by one is a viable tactic to proc scavenge. Execute blow in general is also a great way to proc scavenge, since it deals more damage to already injured enemies.

I think I captured the 'strength in numbers' tactics and general ruthlessness and competitiveness of the orc race pretty well with these skills. They are fairly synergystic as well.

Flareons Skerry
Build cost: 300
Damage: 50-75
Fire rate: slow
range: average

Passive: when idle, the flareon starts charging a giant meteor attack. The damage starts at base damage (50-75) and gradually increases to 100-150 damage over the course of 10 seconds. The meteor moves slowly when released, so it's also highly inaccurate to all but the slowest of enemies. It does magic damage in an area.

1. Massy Meteor (passive)
After charging for 5 seconds, the meteor passive can start charging itself independently. It also fires itself independently. This allows the flareon to continue using basic attacks while the passive charges up to maximum damage. Additionally, the meteor does 25/50/75 extra damage in an increasingly larger AoE for every skill upgrade. Cost: 300/150/150.

2. Everburn (passive)
Fire based attacks put enemies on fire for 5 seconds. Burn damage deals 2/4/6 damage over time in an area. This means that the burn damage can stack when multiple enemies that are on fire are near each other. Additionally, the fire also spreads between enemies. If an enemy that is not on fire takes burn damage from a nearby enemy that is on fire for 3 seconds, the enemy that is not on fire will start burning too for 5 seconds. Burn status can not be reapplied to the same enemy more than once. Cost: 250/250/250

This is a crowd control mage, focusing on weakening multiple enemies at once. With good tower placement and micromanagement, the flareon opens the fight with a massive meteor attack, putting all blocked enemies in the area on fire. The fire damage quickly adds up on grouped up enemies too, making the meteor an extremely potent AoE attack. The flareon can then pick off weakened enemies with its somewhat low but very reliable damage output. This tower has great synergy with barracks. They are absolutely needed or the meteor will surely miss its target.

The Juggernaut
Build Cost: 400
Damage: 50-90
fire rate: very slow
range: extreme

Appearance
The base of the ´tower´, if you can even call it that, is a replica of the Juggernauts armcannon. It is held in place by some shoddy-looking logs that go straight up, connected in the center by a round platform that surrounds the entire cannon. Under the platform there are piles of bombs and missiles and tools like saws and hammers, presumably used to build the scaffolding that keeps everything in place. The cannon works exactly like the one that the Juggernaut used, though its lid is permanently opened. It is operated by three goblin zappers that nervously run across the top of the platform from time to time.

The tower attacks with long-ranged, explosive seeking missiles. These missiles can target flying enemies.

1. Trail Missiles (passive)
Every other attack/ every attack also fires 3 additional trail missiles that deal 15-25 damage each to a single target. Trail missiles can seek out enemies independently, and they always prioritize flying enemies. They also spread out over multiple enemies if possible. Regular missiles from this tower just fall out of the sky when they move out of range. Trail missiles, however, have infinite range and thus can never miss. Cost: 300/300

2. Golem Head Tactics (passive)
Spawn a golem head with the following stats:

HP: 150
Damage: 10-20
Armor: none
Magic resistance: none
Respawn: none
Spawn cost: 30 gold

You can spawn up to four golems at once. You move them by tapping on them and dragging them to the targeted location, exactly the same way as in Iron Marines. Golem heads explode upon death, dealing 25-50 damage in an area. You can also manually explode the golem head by double tapping it. Golems do not heal over time.

This artillery tower is fairly unique in that it can target flying enemies. It's slow rate of fire means that it still isn't very efficient in actually dealing with flying enemies though. Trail missiles greatly help with this, as they can weaken large groups of flying enemies at once. Trail missiles in general are pretty versatile. They add a lot of damage to isolated targets, they give the Juggernaut an extra form of crowd control and they can even harass enemies that are far out of range of the main tower once fired. Exploding golem heads add yet another form of crowd control to the tower. Not only do they block enemies, they also are moveable explosives. However, since they don't heal or respawn and don't have particularly great health, it can get pretty expensive to keep up your little army. Overall, this tower is very versatile in the way it deals damage, but it doesn't have much utility and it is very expensive.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

Re: Full set of tower concepts for KR Vengeance.

by tmn loveblue » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:03 am

I like your ideas. First off they sound very thematically interesting to me, each and every one of them. The abilities and unique and powerful, some more than others.

The Orc Hut is very intriguing. If I am to manage one Hut, I would like to keep them far behind other troops and send them in only when enemies have been blocked, bombarded and weakened, in order to get more chance to loot. I suppose this is the tower's purpose, with Tag Team, and especially Scavenging. Although expensive, the Scavenging upgrade can easily pay for itself, not in terms of gold, but in Orcs' stats. Micro them would feel like a mini hero, since we would not want them to die. With a 14s respawn and 300 HP with Low armor, at start Orcs look very much like Barbarians, potent but somewhat squishy, lacking armor. With upgrades and good micro tho, they are very formidable. One thing I wish they to have is a second tier to Scavenging, cost 300-400g, stating that they now no longer lose equipments on death. That would be amazing.
User

by Uranato » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:45 am

That would be a bit too OP for a Barracks troop.
User

by Magnus0 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 pm

tmn loveblue wrote:I like your ideas. First off they sound very thematically interesting to me, each and every one of them. The abilities and unique and powerful, some more than others.

The Orc Hut is very intriguing. If I am to manage one Hut, I would like to keep them far behind other troops and send them in only when enemies have been blocked, bombarded and weakened, in order to get more chance to loot. I suppose this is the tower's purpose, with Tag Team, and especially Scavenging. Although expensive, the Scavenging upgrade can easily pay for itself, not in terms of gold, but in Orcs' stats. Micro them would feel like a mini hero, since we would not want them to die. With a 14s respawn and 300 HP with Low armor, at start Orcs look very much like Barbarians, potent but somewhat squishy, lacking armor. With upgrades and good micro tho, they are very formidable. One thing I wish they to have is a second tier to Scavenging, cost 300-400g, stating that they now no longer lose equipments on death. That would be amazing.

I'm not really sure about the orcs getting to keep their loot on death. The idea is that there is a progression, the orcs get stronger when defeating strong enemies, which allows them to fight even stronger enemies and so on. If the orcs can keep their loot on death, they will eventually hit a ceiling where they have the strongest equipment available in the stage. You don't have to micro them nearly as much if that happens.

I think a good alternative second upgrade is one that allows dead orcs to pass on their equipment to other orcs that have weaker equipment. This ammounts to the same thing as keeping loot on death, but it's less reliable which means that you would still have to micromanage the orcs well to keep the best equipment from going to waste.

Uranato wrote:That would be a bit too OP for a Barracks troop.

You think so? I think high tier barrack towers in general are kind of underwhelming. The orcs have a lot of potential, but they still can only deal with three enemies at a time at most, they deal bad damage against armored enemies, and they are very expensive to fully upgrade. I think these things keep the tower from making it OP.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User