Rise of the Eldrazi

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Rise of the Eldrazi

by Zonoro13 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:41 am

Rise of the Eldrazi is a three-stage campaign for Origins based on the Eldrazi group in the game Magic the Gathering. The Eldrazi are an ancient, ravenous race that travel the multiverse looking for worlds to consume. When they find a world rich in energy, they will devour it, leaving a wasteland where once was life. Emrakul, the Eldrazi Titan, has found the world of Kingdom Rush. It is up to you to defend your homeland from his spawn.

STAGE ONE
THE INVASION

General! We have reports from the edge of our kingdom, reports of strange creatures... They are totally alien to anything that lives on this continent. These monsters seem to feed on the land itself, leeching its life energy away. They're headed for the Fae Forest, and its mana-rich crystals, which these invaders can consume to become far more powerful than they already are! Sir, we can't let them reach that area!

Recurring enemies: None.
New enemies: Eldrazi Spawn, Emrakul’s Hatcher, Hand of Emrakul, Pathrazer of Ulamog (miniboss)

Eldrazi Spawn
These small, scuttling monsters will overrun any defense in seconds.
HP: 50
Armor: None
Damage: 1-5
Attack Rate: Fast
Speed: Very Fast
Lives Taken: 1
Abilities:
-Feeding: Can be destroyed by some fellow Eldrazi for nasty effects.

Notes: While extremely weak, Spawn come in hordes that can quickly overwhelm the defender. Barracks and crowd control are absolutely necessary to counter these enemies. Make sure to keep Spawn separated from Eldrazi that can sacrifice them, because the results are highly undesirable. Spawn appear in almost every wave of the campaign.

Emrakul's Hatcher
Midsize Eldrazi that can call their smaller brothers to the battlefield.
HP: 300
Armor: 40%
Damage: 15-35
Attack Rate: Medium
Speed: Medium
Lives Taken: 1
Abilities:
-Hatches 3 Eldrazi Spawn. Short cooldown.

Notes: Hatchers are just your average mook, but left unchecked, groups of them will generate unbeatable armies of Spawn, for sacrifice or simply to run through your defenses. Don’t let them get behind bigger Eldrazi, because they will feed on the Spawn.

Hand of Emrakul
Formidable Eldrazi, the Hands of Emrakul will eat their enemies and brethren alike.
HP: 900
Magic Resist: 50%
Damage: 30-55
Attack Rate: Medium
Speed: Medium
Lives Taken: 2
Abilities:
-Feeding: Can destroy three Eldrazi Spawn to heal by 400 HP, and gain a permanent 5% armor and magic resist boost. Only ten stacks are possible, but Hands can still heal.
-70 damage AoE attack.

Notes: Just a single Hatcher can supply a Hand with exactly enough Spawn to push it right past your towers. Instakills are good against this guy, but Golden Longbows don't have the crowd control necessary to counter Eldrazi Spawn, and the Wild Magus is a poor choice against 50% magic resist.

Pathrazer of Ulamog
No thought but hunger. No strategy but destruction.
HP: 4,500
Armor: None
Damage: 90-150
Attack Rate: Fast
Speed: Fast
Lives Taken: 10
Abilities:
-Immune to instakills

Notes: Nothing to say here. This thing will destroy your barracks and run past everything. Just try to kill it before that happens. You may want to sell off some druids and crowd control for Wild Magi or Hunter’s Mark.

Stage Layout:

The gray background is similar to the third terrain of Kingdom Rush, but lighter. The ground is littered with the deformed carcasses of slaughtered Eldrazi, some still moving. Near the top of the map is a patch of clear grass, with a beautiful black lotus growing in the middle. When tapped, the flower glows briefly, then wilts.

WAVES
Waves 1 and 2 are just growing groups of Eldrazi Spawn. With low starting gold, you’ll need to invest almost all of it in druids and barracks to hold them off.
Wave 3 introduces Eldrazi Hatchers. First come a steady stream of Spawn along both paths, then Hatchers are released periodically on the bottom path. The top path just has Spawn.
Wave 4 has groups of 3 Hatchers alternating with large bunches of Eldrazi Spawn.
Wave 5 is just an army of Spawn, pouring out of both paths. Even a well-prepared player will be caught off guard. Thunder or the Hero Spell are absolutely necessary here.
Wave 6 introduces the Hand of Emrakul. The top path continues with Spawn in groups, and the bottom path sends out one Hand at a time, slowly for now. If the player kept towers farther back, they’ll see Feeding kicking in and probably lose some lives.
Wave 7: Hands come out of each path one at a time, each with a Hatcher behind it. If the player hasn’t prepared for buffed, healing Hands, they’ll have to do so now.
Wave 8: Hands and Spawn on the bottom path, Hatchers on the top.
Wave 9: Groups of two Hands alternate with groups of 3 Hatchers, with the occasional Spawn horde as a respite.
Waves 10 and 11 are abominations of the three enemies with no real strategy, just growing numbers.
Wave 12 is the final wave. The Pathrazer comes out of the bottom path. Good luck kiddo.

Stage Notes:
The first level is fairly simple, with a straightforward path, plenty of strategic points, and no special towers or heroes. It introduces the Eldrazi and establishes the Eldrazi Spawn as the real villains of the campaign. Feeding makes mediocre enemies difficult to deal with.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

Re: Rise of the Eldrazi

by AerisDraco » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:01 am

Seems pretty cool.
I'm not going to critique, I'm not good at it.
I want to ask, where is this located?
Also, MS Paint (I think) FTW.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Zonoro13 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:08 am

AerisDraco wrote:Seems pretty cool.
I'm not going to critique, I'm not good at it.
I want to ask, where is this located?
Also, MS Paint (I think) FTW.

I haven't decided yet. I was thinking near the Soaring Ruins, but there's not much room there. It's not critical to the campaign, so I'll just wait on that.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Ninja » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:30 am

Simple but cool campaign,I like it. :)

The Hand of Emrakul has one of the coolest abilities I've seen. :)
(I really like the idea of it eating smaller Eldrazi.) :D

So far,it's pretty awesome. :D
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:40 am

I'm not sure how I feel about directly using a race from another game. Ironhide wouldn't do anymore than some references to soemthign that they like, not explicitly use them for core gameplay. Nonetheless, it does make for some great pictures to liven things up.

Some critiques so far:

The level seems a bit stale, even for an introductory mission. One interactive item at the top of the screen, while everything else is condensed to the equator of the map feels less grand than normal levels, especially Origins. I don't want to alter the level layout, but some more stuff do to there amd make it feel like there's more than just the paths in the level can really go a long way.

Can any of these enemies be silenced?

Arcane Archers beg to differ on the usefulness of mages against the Hands. Weirdwoods and barracks are still vital, but this campaign is more of a mix between everything and knowing how to balance it out, which is definitely not a bad quality, but the description contradicts it.

How does Vindicator apply to Pathrazers?
BBB

by Ninja » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:42 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about directly using a race from another game. Ironhide wouldn't do anymore than some references to soemthign that they like, not explicitly use them for core gameplay. Nonetheless, it does make for some great pictures to liven things up.

Some critiques so far:

The level seems a bit stale, even for an introductory mission. One interactive item at the top of the screen, while everything else is condensed to the equator of the map feels less grand than normal levels, especially Origins. I don't want to alter the level layout, but some more stuff do to there amd make it feel like there's more than just the paths in the level can really go a long way.

Can any of these enemies be silenced?

Arcane Archers beg to differ on the usefulness of mages against the Hands. Weirdwoods and barracks are still vital, but this campaign is more of a mix between everything and knowing how to balance it out, which is definitely not a bad quality, but the description contradicts it.

How does Vindicator apply to Pathrazers?

I assume Panthrazers are minibosses and therefore it does not affect them.
User

by Zonoro13 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:07 am

Firstly, this is a fan campaign. It could never be put in the game for copyright reasons. It's just something I made for fun. :)

Remember, not all levels have the same dimensions. This one will have little room to scroll vertically, but will be quite long. Like the Dark Descent.

The MS paint picture has odd proportions and scaling, and looks dreadfully boring. Having one main path is primarily to funnel the Hands and Spawn together to show off Feeding. I can see why you don't like it, though. The next levels will certainly be more engaging.

Any silenced enemy can't feed, but silenced spawn can still be fed upon, because the ability belongs to the feeder.

You're right about strategy. Aecane Archers are also good because of Magic Arrow. A good mix of towers is useful.

Vindicator does the usual damage it does against minibosses, I guess. Kind of OP, but Reg'son isn't a great hero on this level, except for his eldritch slash dealing just the right amount of damage against Spawn.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:23 am

Durax would work well with his extreme versatility to counter the large hordes while also being able to deal significant damage to the 2 heavy enemies, especially with Sapphire Fangs. Any tank heroes would work well, too, like Bravebark or Prince Denas. However, Phoenix shines above all others when you think about how many Purification missiles she can make from Spawn. :twisted:
BBB

by Zonoro13 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:50 pm

:o
She could beat half the level on her own...
No matter. By level 2 all the Feeding will kill the Spawn faster than Phoenix will. :twisted:
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Ninja » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:39 pm

Are you going to ever update this again? :?:
User

by Zonoro13 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:26 pm

Maybe. I do have some of the level 2 content done, but I've haven't touched it in a while.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Ninja » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:54 am

Zonoro13 wrote:Maybe. I do have some of the level 2 content done, but I've haven't touched it in a while.

OK,I'll wait. :)
User