New Game Feeling

A new Sci-Fi adventure! Mechas included.

New Game Feeling

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:45 am

I'm sure that, as gamers, we've all had "New Game Feeling" before.

NGF occurs when we've just bought a new video game and can't wait to start playing it. Often times for me, I get this in Christmas Day and have to wait until the 26th before I can play any of my new games, which augments the feeling for me because I wait so long.

This feeling reaches its peak when we just start the game, and get the introduction. The thoughts of what awaits us, the possibilities of adventures we'll go on and what we as the player will get to do. Our imagination is lucid with ideas. It's one of the best feelings in the world.

The last time I experienced this was actually with Origins. I haven't gotten a new game for an entire year; Origins is the most recent game that I bought (technically, I got it for free, so thanks, Ironhide!) and thus the last time I felt this way.

I wondered how many things stayed the same and how many things were different about the game. What changed, what is entirely new, and what may have been taken out. Seeing all of the heroes and their awesome portraits proliferated this vastly. With each update, I also got this feeling.

Maybe it's just my own imagination, but while it is amazing to think of all the possibilities, it also is rather detrimental, because it can lead to disappointment that developers can't ever prevent, and that's true for pretty much any game that has gotten hype.

I bring this up here because it's an inevitable situation for Iron Marines when it's released for beta testing, and then for every other player once the official release befalls them. The Speculation and Wishlist thread should have remained purely Speculation, because a Wishlist is setting us up for dissatisfaction. It may be fun know to dream of ideas, but in the long run, we're setting up expectations that are only detrimental to our personal experience with the game, and nobody wants that.
BBB

Re: New Game Feeling

by Ninja » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:58 am

I still think the Wishlist should be there.
I won't be disappointed if there aren't
those ideas in them. I already knew that
they probs wouldn't be incorporated any-
way. ;)
:hero:
User

by kevin32 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:44 am

To an extent I get what Bug is saying. Believe it or not, when I found out that IM was coming out I actually considered not getting involved with making suggestions. I wanted to wait and see. But I like to make suggestions early on because some ideas do make it into the game if voiced early on, and because developers know that sometimes the community comes up with ideas that just make sense.

But the thing I've come to see now is that speculation and suggestions can be fun if you don't get too attached to the outcome. The How I Really Feel About Kingdom Rush rant is a good example of being too attached. And this is something I'm personally coming to understand in other aspects of my life.

No offense, but you could say that being unhappy that the Speculation thread isn't what you envisioned is a form of attachement. All I can say about that is, it's no big deal. I'm at a point now where I've gone from "UGGG! Why can't it be like this!?" to "You know, it'd be nice if it were like this, but it's no big deal if it isn't." Speaking of which, I've updated my post in the Speculation thread with my own speculation about the game.

I think the reason the devs created the IM forum so early is not just to get the community to talk about the game, but to give the community the opportunity to help shape the game through making suggestions. But that's just speculation.
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

by kevin32 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:41 pm

And Bug, it is a bit of irony to see your OP when Iron Marines is being created in part by your story, alluded to by both Tats and Pencil here.

So while some of us can only get certain features into a game, you've inspired a whole new universe. Congrats man! :yey:
User

by Simmonds91 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:32 pm

kevin32 wrote:And Bug, it is a bit of irony to see your OP when Iron Marines is being created in part by your story, alluded to by both Tats and Pencil here.

So while some of us can only get certain features into a game, you've inspired a whole new universe. Congrats man! :yey:

um... what? the only similarity is that there is no defined plot for both of the games... in what way did the devs indicate that bugs game inspired Iron Marines?
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by The_TaTs » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:40 pm

kevin32 wrote:And Bug, it is a bit of irony to see your OP when Iron Marines is being created in part by your story, alluded to by both Tats and Pencil here.

Ummm... I think it's important to clarify that we didn't even know that BBB had a story like this until he showed it to us. If we ever use a story from this Forum, we will make sure to give credit where credit is due... and provide a fair compensation for it.

I also agree with BBB on his fear for disappointment. I was also a bit worried when I saw the speculation thread because I know everything about the game and I don't want you guys to be dissapointed. Ultimately, it's better to have faith in the fact that you are all smart people and will be able to understand that this game won't have all the things you guys would like. Some are limited by the technology (this is a game that must run on some low-end Android devices as well as on Apple devices and PC), others are limited by time and other can't be implemented because the game is actually different from what some of you think.

Pencil and I had a talk about how we should deal with this and ultimately agreed that there was no point on shutting down your ideas. Let your imagination run wild... as the months passes, and you get to see more of the game you'll start to get a better idea of what can and can't be done.
User

by Simmonds91 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:57 pm

I expect there to be Pizza in the game or im deleting every ironhide app! Do not Dissapoint me! :x

;)
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by Oof_Shunt » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:30 pm

I expect to be able to play Iron marine as Vez'nan :o :o :o
User

by Ninja » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Oof_Shunt wrote:I expect to be able to play Iron marine as Vez'nan :o :o :o

Well, you'll be disappointed then! :o :o :o
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:24 am

Both of our RTS games have a story focused on a rare material that draws the factions into relations with each other and engenders the main conflict. In terms of gameplay features, aesthetics, and the factions themselves, we have no way of telling how similar they are. ;)

I'll be content with reality. However the game turns out, I'm certain that it will still be good, and better than Origins. :) I actually look forward to having the potent enthusiasm with a new video game that I haven't felt in a long time. It must be great to be able to give people that kind of feeling. :D
BBB

by kevin32 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Both of our RTS games have a story focused on a rare material that draws the factions into relations with each other and engenders the main conflict. In terms of gameplay features, aesthetics, and the factions themselves, we have no way of telling how similar they are. ;)

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that one post was the sole cause of Iron Marines, just that I ass-umed based on "The kid is onto us" comment that the devs used elements from your story in a game that was already in development.

The_TaTs wrote:Pencil and I had a talk about how we should deal with this and ultimately agreed that there was no point on shutting down your ideas. Let your imagination run wild... as the months passes, and you get to see more of the game you'll start to get a better idea of what can and can't be done.

Thanks for your openness about this.
User

by The Kingmaker » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:23 pm

kevin32 wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:Pencil and I had a talk about how we should deal with this and ultimately agreed that there was no point on shutting down your ideas. Let your imagination run wild... as the months passes, and you get to see more of the game you'll start to get a better idea of what can and can't be done.

Thanks for your openness about this.

Agreed, it's great that Ironhide is open enough to tell us this.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User