Kingdom Rush Level Difficulties (Opinions)

For the King!

Re: Kingdom Rush Level Difficulties (Opinions)

by sunnydaler » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:59 am

This is my personal opinion on KRF difficulties (campaigns only, excluding iron and heroic)...
under the following gameplay conditions:
① Veteran mode
② Level 10 free heroes
③ limited star upgrades (at most 5 stars are earned per stage. 65 stars are needed for full upgrades.)
④ Calling all waves early, if not instantly

01 Hammerhold: ☆
02 Sandhawk Hamlet: ★
03 Sape Oasis: ★☆
04 Dunes of Despair: ★★ (Assassin's Guild, Crossbow Fort, and Mirage are unlocked)
05 Buccaneer's Den: ★★☆ (DWAARP is unlocked)
06 Nazeru's Gates: ★★★☆ (Archmage is unlocked)

07 Crimson Valley: ★ (Knights Templar and Cronan are unlocked)
08 Snapvine Bridge: ★★ (Tribal Axethrowers is unlocked)
09 Lost Jungle: ★★☆ (Necromancer and Bruxa are unlocked)
10 Ma'qwa Urqu: ★★★ (Battle-Mecha is unlocked)
11 Temple of Saqra: ★★★☆

12 The Underpass: ★☆
13 Beresad's Lair: ★★★
14 The Dark Descent: ★★★
15 Emberspike Depths: ★★★☆

16 Port Tortuga: ★★★☆
17 Storm Atoll: ★★★★
18 The Sunken Citadel: ★★★★★

19 Bonesburg: ★★★☆
20 Desecrated Grove: ★★★★
21 Dusk Chateau: ★★★★☆

22 Darklight Depths: ★★★
User

by kicorse » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:19 pm

I'm in almost complete agreement with that list sunnydaler. My one difference is that I remember struggling with The Dark Descent when I first played it (for some stupid reason I always try levels on veteran first), and if I go back to it after several months I would struggle again. I don't think I had any such struggles with Beresad's Lair, at least once I understood what savants did and that I could steal gold from Beresad. So I would put some separation there.

And I agree that difficulty and quality are very different things. I don't know why but I can play Lost Jungle and Desecrated Grove over and over. If you want a challenge on Lost Jungle veteran, try to create two or three skeletons on wave two and keep them alive until the end (skeletons don't regenerate health). On Desecrated Grove, I like the fact that it's the one level in which pickpocket is a meaningful component of my winning strategy.
User

by kicorse » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:51 am

In fact on Lost Jungles, it's on the first wave that you can make the skeletons that survive until the end. Up to four of them, I think.
User

by sunnydaler » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm

kicorse wrote:I'm in almost complete agreement with that list sunnydaler. My one difference is that I remember struggling with The Dark Descent when I first played it (for some stupid reason I always try levels on veteran first), and if I go back to it after several months I would struggle again. I don't think I had any such struggles with Beresad's Lair, at least once I understood what savants did and that I could steal gold from Beresad. So I would put some separation there.

And I agree that difficulty and quality are very different things. I don't know why but I can play Lost Jungle and Desecrated Grove over and over. If you want a challenge on Lost Jungle veteran, try to create two or three skeletons on wave two and keep them alive until the end (skeletons don't regenerate health). On Desecrated Grove, I like the fact that it's the one level in which pickpocket is a meaningful component of my winning strategy.

Considering wave compositions, DD is supposed to be harder than BL.

BL: 11 Brutes, 12 Savants, 53 Myrmidons, 41 Blazefangs, 4 Quetzals, 92 Nightscales, 79 Darters, 156 Broodguards, 60 Razorwings
DD: 27 Brutes, 9 Savants, 41 Myrmidons, 37 Blazefangs, 8 Quetzals, 58 Nightscales, 104 Darters, 350 Broodguards, 46 Razorwings

However I don't feel much difference in actual gameplay. Maybe DD's straight paths make things simpler than BL's converging and then diverging layout.
Though it is true DD is a little harder til mid phase, I think they are equal in the last few waves.
User

by sunnydaler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:38 am

Don't you think Blood Quarry is trickier and more challenging than Beheader's Seat?

BQ map has 2 Bloodsydians and less starting gold. And the strategic points are far between.
Besides, so many flying enemies spawn from early on and I find pure melee heroes less useful.

I have more success when I play Catha and build Weirdwood on the top spot.
Catha, Malik and Weirwood take turns stunning enemies. :lol:
User

by Celicni » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:51 am

ngue02 wrote:Fungal Forest: 8.5
Ancient Necropolis: 7
Nightfang Swale: 5
Castle Blackburn: 8

Did you forget about the heroic challenge for Fungal Forest? That one was hell, about Pandemonium level. Campaign though wasn't bad.

And you are mad underestimating Ancient Necropolis. I thought it to be one of the hardest levels ever, even harder than Pandemonium at one time. Especially the heroic challenge. Iron was pretty easy, and Campaign was like an 8.5/10.

Also yeah campaign is pretty easy for Nightfang Swale but holy fuck the iron challenge. It made me want to gouge my eyes out. Been playing it for over 4 hours with Magnus, until I swapped to Malik and beat it first try. So I don't know how you're supposed to do that one without a hero.

And Castle Blackburn heroic challenge is an 8 I guess on steam but it's a completely different beast on mobile, cause skeletons give 2 gold instead of 3 (and there's 40+ in 3 different waves so that's like 150 extra gold just off of them), and the fallen knights don't give gold when you kill them as spectral knights (40 per fallen knight adds up, 120 gold just on the first wave). 10/10 difficulty without Magnus, 0/10 with (ok not really 0, but I beat it first try when I tried with him so idk what difficulty to give).
Last edited by Celicni on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:21 am

sunnydaler wrote:Considering wave compositions, DD is supposed to be harder than BL.

BL: 11 Brutes, 12 Savants, 53 Myrmidons, 41 Blazefangs, 4 Quetzals, 92 Nightscales, 79 Darters, 156 Broodguards, 60 Razorwings
DD: 27 Brutes, 9 Savants, 41 Myrmidons, 37 Blazefangs, 8 Quetzals, 58 Nightscales, 104 Darters, 350 Broodguards, 46 Razorwings

However I don't feel much difference in actual gameplay. Maybe DD's straight paths make things simpler than BL's converging and then diverging layout.
Though it is true DD is a little harder til mid phase, I think they are equal in the last few waves.

That wave composition actually makes Baresad’s Lair look harder. The spam of Broodguards in Dark Descent makes them easy artillery fodder, earning tons more gold. Plus, Rurin and the special towers are advantages to the player, versus Beresad disabling towers as a disadvantage to the player. ;)
BBB

by sunnydaler » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:46 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:
That wave composition actually makes Baresad’s Lair look harder. The spam of Broodguards in Dark Descent makes them easy artillery fodder, earning tons more gold. Plus, Rurin and the special towers are advantages to the player, versus Beresad disabling towers as a disadvantage to the player. ;)

Spamming broodguard is understandable to a degree because more gold is needed to solidify defence in two seperate paths.
Imagine playing BL with DD's wave composition.
Would that make the game easier?
User

Previous