Some Larger-Than-Life Questions

Anything and everything.

Some Larger-Than-Life Questions

by Juice Box » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:20 pm

Because ultimately we are all only one person among billions orbiting one star among billions in one galaxy among billions in a etc., etc., etc. Gun laws and Brexit be damned in the face of the infinite universe.

So answer the following questions because I'm curious what y'all think:

1. What is the ultimate meaning of life?
2. What is the ultimate fate of humanity?
3. What is the ultimate fate of the universe? Multiverse? Whatever? What is the ultimate ending the world will face?
4. How does the ultimate fate of the world tie in with humanity and the meaning of life?

And, not exactly related, but why not: How can the synergy of the parts inside a human body possibly create life?
User

Re: Some Larger-Than-Life Questions

by magicmetal03 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:26 pm

1. To be alive
2. Die
3. To be dark, keep expanding, and to be empty.
4. If it's dark and empty, it means that we have already died out.
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by AerisDraco » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:31 pm

I'm only going to answer 1.
1. 42
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Manijure » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:43 pm

The ultimate meaning of life is to live, be who you strive to be, and do what you strive to do. Regardless of the insignificance of a single human being compared to the whole universe, it is yourself who you measure your significance, not the universe.

The ultimate fate of humanity is extinction, bleak as it may be. We may live for centuries, or millenia, or millions of years, or billions of years, etc, I don't know. But everything has an end. The limit to infinite years does not necessarily approach infinity.

The ultimate fate of the universe is the cessation to be. As humanity, the universe will not be unlimited in its time span.

The ultimate fate of the world is very well connected with humanity and the meaning of life, as the world is the reason life, and thus humanity, exists. Without the world, there is no life, meaning that is has no meaning, and thus there is no humanity.

The human body, simply put, is like an engine. All parts of the body work together to serve a grand purpose: to keep the body alive, and also create life. Human biology is the answer if you want to learn more about the creation of life.
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Juice Box, why don't you just play Dragon's Dogma instead of spending all of your free time thinking about this? ;)

1) I think that our purpose in life is to make our lives as enjoyable as can be. This is human nature; it's impossible not to do what you want, no matter how hard you try. Even if you want to do something that you don't want to do just to spite my theory, you want to prove me wrong, so you want to do whatever painful, thing you're doing to prove something. Even if you're blackmailed to kill someone, you want to kill that person just because the outcome of the blackmail is worse. We strive to make our lives as fun or as pleasant as we are able because humans want to have fun. I personally find enjoyment in being productive and useful, so I want to make video games that can make other people's lives that much more enjoyable. :)

2) Humanity on earth is scientifically bound to end, along with the rest of the universe. However, when you say ultimate, I imagine that you mean the true, final fate, behind our current lives. If there is an afterlife, I think (or hope) that it will have qualities beyond your comprehension that make eternal life worth living, as opposed to the stories you hear about people with immortality that don't want it and yearn for the freedom of release. I believe in things beyond our understanding mostly because I want there to be far more to discover after current life, yet I haven't got any evidence.

3) I believe my answer to 2 answered this one.

4) If the world is to eventually cease to exist and plunge us into an infinite afterlife, it would say a lot about life's enjoyment. Perhaps this infinite afterlife will give humans some way to forever seek happiness without feeling like it's futile, but still make them earn more the way our current lives require our effort to become better.

5 is a scientific answer. It would be best explained from some credible scientific source.
BBB

by Sinque Productions » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:27 pm

1. Enjoying your life.
2. Ourselves most likely, but possible Yellowstone blowing and killing us all or the sun blowing.
3. Overheating in about 150 billion years, I think vsauce said.
4. We enjoy ourselves to much and we kill ourselves.
The above message has been sent by The Killian Experience version of Addy.
User

by magicmetal03 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Sinque Productions wrote:1. Enjoying your life.
2. Ourselves most likely, but possible Yellowstone blowing and killing us all or the sun blowing.

Who's vsauce?
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by Manijure » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:27 pm

magicmetal03 wrote:
Sinque Productions wrote:1. Enjoying your life.

Who's vsauce?

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vsauce/featured
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by magicmetal03 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks.
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by Juice Box » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:43 am

It's nice to see that some of you actually have reasonable answers on these ^-^ .

Anyways, my take:

1. The meaning of life is nothing. There is none. And that's honestly my favorite answer, because then the meaning of life must be to give life meaning.

To be honest, though, the question isn't so much as, "does life have meaning?" It's more: "does life's meaning matter?" Because even if humanity somehow finds a way to give meaning to his own existence, will it be enough to make him matter to the universe? Will it be enough to make the universe matter?

2. I personally disagree with like, all y'all nublet faces that humanity is doomed to die. I don't honestly even understand why everyone thinks humanity will die in the end. I believe that, given time and resources, humanity can (and most likely will) transcend himself, to go beyond what he is and become something more than human. I don't mean this in an X-Men kind of way: I mean, we don't really know when or where the next big jump/s in technology will be. Who's to say we'll never find a way to make ourselves more than human, physically and mentally?

3. There are lots of theories on this already, but I've never heard of the one that says the universe will heat up. There is one that says the universe will eventually freeze altogether, the heat death of the universe, which says that at the rate the world is expanding, if heat is continuously distributed evenly, eventually there will be insufficient heat to ever properly support life.

I mostly believe in the theories that the universe will either A) rip itself apart, or B) eat itself to nothing. Basically, imagine the universe as a piece of paper. Gravity pulls that paper inwards--it's trying to crumple the paper. Universal expansion, on the other hand, is trying to stretch it, to keep the paper growing. It's basically all a battle of gravity vs universal expansion. Some believe that eventually, there will be so much mass in the universe that gravity will eventually beat universal expansion. Others think that factors such as dark energy and dark matter weigh in too much and, if not stopped, will increase the rate of universal expansion exponentially.

It all then becomes a simple question: will the paper be crumpled, or will it rip itself apart?

4. Who gives a shit about the paper, anyway? What we care about it where we all fit into it. As I said before, I firmly believe that humanity won't die in the End, I believe it'll eventually become something more. The universe is a giant, predictable pile of blocks that doesn't care as its own pieces fall around it, but human ingenuity is more than that. I believe that once the universe has come to an end, humanity will find a way to live on.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Juice Box wrote:2. I personally disagree with like, all y'all nublet faces that humanity is doomed to die. I don't honestly even understand why everyone thinks humanity will die in the end. I believe that, given time and resources, humanity can (and most likely will) transcend himself, to go beyond what he is and become something more than human. I don't mean this in an X-Men kind of way: I mean, we don't really know when or where the next big jump/s in technology will be. Who's to say we'll never find a way to make ourselves more than human, physically and mentally?

Did you read what I wrote? I believed the same; humanity will live on in a more advanced state than our current lives, for eternity. ;)
BBB

by Juice Box » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:59 pm

BBB wrote: Humanity on earth is scientifically bound to end, along with the rest of the universe.

^^That is what you wrote, you nublet. You say humanity is bound to die but live on in some form of afterlife, I say there is no afterlife but humanity will find a way to live on by beating death.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:52 am

Juice Box wrote:
BBB wrote: Humanity on earth is scientifically bound to end, along with the rest of the universe.

^^That is what you wrote, you nublet. You say humanity is bound to die but live on in some form of afterlife, I say there is no afterlife but humanity will find a way to live on by beating death.

Afterlife is still life. Plus:

[quote="Juice Box"I don't honestly even understand why everyone thinks humanity will die in the end. I believe that, given time and resources, humanity can (and most likely will) transcend himself, to go beyond what he is and become something more than human. [/quote]

That sounds like going into an afterlife to me. Since that's not what you meant, I understand now, but that post originally had different implications to me. ;)

Also, you don't understand why people think humanity will reach an end? You even wrote yourself that one way the universe will make living impossible was from the heat death of the universe. Others have given ways that the universe ends as well. It's one think to not believe that it will happen, but to not understand why? What about it is confusing?
BBB

by Juice Box » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:18 am

I believe that humanity as a whole will, at one point, transcend life, and go beyond its physical and mental limitations. To become something more than alive, to become gods.

It's too early to say that, sure, but give or take a few million years and a little human ingenuity? I think it can be done.
User

by Sinque Productions » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:43 am

I believe we die from old age when our DNA (or was it chromosomes) splits to much (it splits in half as we get older). If we could prevent that, we would live forever, excluding other sources of death.
The above message has been sent by The Killian Experience version of Addy.
User

by magicmetal03 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:49 am

Juice Box wrote:I believe that humanity as a whole will, at one point, transcend life, and go beyond its physical and mental limitations. To become something more than alive, to become gods.

It's too early to say that, sure, but give or take a few million years and a little human ingenuity? I think it can be done.

Unless stupid idiots prevent us from doing it....
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by Juice Box » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:50 pm

magicmetal03 wrote:
Juice Box wrote:I believe that humanity as a whole will, at one point, transcend life, and go beyond its physical and mental limitations. To become something more than alive, to become gods.

Unless stupid idiots prevent us from doing it....

Unless we let stupid idiots prevent us from doing it.

It's still a million-year long hypothesis. I could still be wrong, and we could die out before anything great happens, but you can't deny the possibility that we can beat the universe somehow.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:46 pm

So much can happen in a million years. This century alone has already had some life-changing inventions, so I can't fathom what 1,000 of those could entail for us.

So, JB, if that's your theory on the ultimate fate of humanity as a whole, what do you think will happen to you if/when you die? What you think would happen to humanity if they never transcend current life?
BBB

by Juice Box » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:So much can happen in a million years. This century alone has already had some life-changing inventions, so I can't fathom what 1,000 of those could entail for us.

So, JB, if that's your theory on the ultimate fate of humanity as a whole, what do you think will happen to you if/when you die? What you think would happen to humanity if they never transcend current life?

I don't know lol. I really want to believe that there's something after we die, even if there's zero legit proof of that, but it's really hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that one day, everyone in this generation will be dead, just like past generations before them.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:21 pm

I always imagined that being dead was closest to being asleep without dreaming. You have no control over yourself anymore, no thoughts. You can't realize anything being you're not able to do anything. It is hard to imagine just not being able to do anything for the rest of eternity.

Is there something less depressing but still larger-than-life to talk about here?
BBB

Next