Bastion

Talk about anything game related!

Bastion

by Anorak » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:16 pm

I was wondering if any of you play Bastion. And if you do, if you could please tell me what weapons and secret skill you use. I use the Camility Cannon, and the Dueling Pistals, and Camility Rockets.
User

Re: Bastion

by Juice Box » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:28 am

Never played Bastion, but it seems really cool. If some people say it's onpar with Transistor, which I loved, then it must be worth more than a try.
User

by Anorak » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Yeah its really fun, has a great story line. Tons of content, and you can play it over and over without getting bored or tired of it.
User

by Simmonds91 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:59 am

Oh I like bastion, I especially like the narration, i don't think there are any other games other than transistor that use it in the same way? Though personally i don't think there is a lot of replayability in it at all, it's far too linear.

My favourite weapons at the time were the spear and slinger pistols.
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by dimumurray » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Juice Box wrote:Never played Bastion, but it seems really cool. If some people say it's onpar with Transistor, which I loved, then it must be worth more than a try.

The same guys (Super Giant Games) who made Transistor created Bastion. In fact Bastion was Super Giant's first game (I think transistor leverage the same in-house engine) and it featured Logan Cunningham's voice talent as well (his work in Bastion really sets the tone and mood of the game...more so than in Transistor). The "magic" system is not as involved as Transistor's but the story does have some depth to it.
User

by Juice Box » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:56 am

dimumurray wrote:
Juice Box wrote:Never played Bastion, but it seems really cool. If some people say it's onpar with Transistor, which I loved, then it must be worth more than a try.

The same guys (Super Giant Games) who made Transistor created Bastion. In fact Bastion was Super Giant's first game (I think transistor leverage the same in-house engine) and it featured Logan Cunningham's voice talent as well (his work in Bastion really sets the tone and mood of the game...more so than in Transistor). The "magic" system is not as involved as Transistor's but the story does have some depth to it.

Oh, I know it was made by Supergiant. That's why I mentioned Transistor ;D .

Personally, though, I chose it over Bastion because it seems much more interesting. I mean, Bastion seems cool, yeah, but the world doesn't seem to appeal to me like Transistor does. Plus, I don't know, I sort of like Logan Cunningham's voice more in that game as compared to in Bastion. In Bastion, he was more... uhh, like, a badass storyteller, but in Transistor, he was your sad yet hopeful companion, and he actually helped to further the feel of the world rather than lessen it.
User

by Anorak » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:16 pm

So, Ive never played Transitor, but ive always wanted to get it too. Whats it like?
User

by dimumurray » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Juice Box wrote:In Bastion, he was more... uhh, like, a badass storyteller, but in Transistor, he was your sad yet hopeful companion, and he actually helped to further the feel of the world rather than lessen it.

Oh...he's far more than simply a bad-ass story-teller. But I don't want to give anything away, just trust that there is a great payoff at the end so go play it.

If you need more convincing watch this video about game favoritism and social conditioning (I know that description sounds boring but its really good stuff):

User

by Anorak » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Juice Box wrote:
dimumurray wrote:

Oh, I know it was made by Supergiant. That's why I mentioned Transistor ;D .

Personally, though, I chose it over Bastion because it seems much more interesting. I mean, Bastion seems cool, yeah, but the world doesn't seem to appeal to me like Transistor does. Plus, I don't know, I sort of like Logan Cunningham's voice more in that game as compared to in Bastion. In Bastion, he was more... uhh, like, a badass storyteller, but in Transistor, he was your sad yet hopeful companion, and he actually helped to further the feel of the world rather than lessen it.

Hes isnt just a badass story teller. He plays a pretty importsnt role in the story.
User

by dimumurray » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Anorak wrote:So, Ive never played Transitor, but ive always wanted to get it too. Whats it like?

It has a lot of cool things going for it. The setting is an interesting blend of film-noir/mystery and hi-tech (with a tron/matrix vibe sprinkled throughout).

My favorite aspect about the game though, is its quasi turn-based "magic" system. I say quasi b/c there are two modes of combat; real-time and turn-based. You can fight enemies in real-time but there is a gauge that fills over time and you can use it to execute planned attacks.

There are also unique slots where you equip different skills (in-game they're called "functions" borrowing a term from computer programming jargon). Depending on the type of slot and combination of skills you get a multitude of varied attacks, powers and upgrades. It also has a weird deficit/tit-for-tat system where you trade a disadvantage (say an enemy spawns more often) in exchange for a later buff of some sort (a given skill/trait ramps up faster).

I doubt my description did the game justice so make sure to check out some game reviews on youtube to get a better feel for the gameplay.

Aside: (Just noticed this is my 314th post...that's Commander Keen's IQ...kudos if you know who that is...if not, google is your friend :))
User

by Anorak » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:34 pm

I might have to try it sometime.
User

by Juice Box » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:31 am

dimumurray wrote:
Juice Box wrote:In Bastion, he was more... uhh, like, a badass storyteller, but in Transistor, he was your sad yet hopeful companion, and he actually helped to further the feel of the world rather than lessen it.

Oh...he's far more than simply a bad-ass story-teller. But I don't want to give anything away, just trust that there is a great payoff at the end so go play it.

If you need more convincing watch this video about game favoritism and social conditioning (I know that description sounds boring but its really good stuff):

I know he's a character in the story lol. I've seen the ending. I had friends play that game and I watched them play it. It seems really good, yeah, but it just ain't my thing.

Anyways, I can't compare Transistor's story to Bastion's, but you might find the former's plot hard to understand. That's okay, it is. In fact, you'll have to, like, know a bunch of programming stuff to even understand half of the things that are going on.

Transistor has a lot of prevailing theories, since the game doesn't actually explain what's really going on, and you have to piece everything together. For example, it's never explicitly stated that Cloudbank, the city/setting of the game, is actually a set of programs designed to be capable of thought, and this is only made clear if you understand the numerous amount of references it has regarding programming. For example, whoever wields the Transistor, the giant sword the main character uses, has control over everything that happens in the city. AKA, whoever is the programmer, has the capability to edit the programs as he wishes, provided he has the necessary resources (which, in this case, is the Transistor). This is only clear if you understand concepts involving the three basic web design languages (HTML, CSS, JS): the Transistor requires functions to edit the Process, and in JavaScript functions are what you use to make your code do a specific thing (eg, the "Process" your code has to go through). If you look at the code created by the Transistor when it was used by this one guy, you can clearly see that it's CSS. The entirety of the story behind the game is that it's, like I said, really just this one huge set of programs capable of thinking for itself, even going as far as controlling its own code and design. Really cool, when you think about it.

But yeah. It's a little hard to understand. I didn't get the ending myself, when I first thought of it. It's a complicated little thing.
User