Magic Duels - Origins

Talk about anything game related!

Magic Duels - Origins

by Zonoro13 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:36 pm

I've been totally sucked into this game, I never thought you could get addicted to cardboard crack over the internet. Despite the vast number of deficiencies and problems (meh servers, crappy devs, absolute shite deck wizard, quests only working with decks made in the shite deck wizard, no upkeep phase, no end of combat phase, automatically passes priority, kinda watered down overall, having to keep playing against AI even when your opponent concedes, no gold for 2-Headed Giant, bad ranking system, limited card pool), this is easily the best f2p game I've played, along with Tera and RotMG.

Here's why:
-It's fucking Magic the Gathering, the best CCG ever created, one of the best board games in history
-It's an online Magic Game with fucking 2HG
-It's an online Magic Game that doesn't look like it's from the 90s
-It's an online Magic Game that has a stable metagame and room for originality when making decks, that will still get you wins in Ranked
-It has all the immensely strategic, adaptive and tactical playstyles of paper Magic.

Magic really feels like a battle of brains and preparation between you and your opponent (I play chess competitively, and it's very similar), and this game keeps that. That is all.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

Re: Magic Duels - Origins

by Kowaghuz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:22 am

Zonoro13 wrote:-It's an online Magic Game that doesn't look like it's from the 90s

That's how they've been for 20 years, Zon.

Since this thread thread is MTG-related I wanted to share this card, warning - subtly offensive.

[+] SPOILER
User

by Simmonds91 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:58 am

hahaha, wow! It's not really offensive though, i mean its like innuendo really, white and black dont refer to skin colour but the type of card.

I dont play mtg myself but i must say ive always wanted to, i love the strategic aspect to it. Unfortunately i dont have any rl friends thatd play with me if i got a deck and i cant stand online card games.
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by Zonoro13 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:46 pm

@Kowa omg the white/black joke. I play chess and I hear it enough there, it's not funny, offensive or original and never will be. -.-

Duels looks miles better than MTGO.

@simmonds firstly, you don't need to friends to play Magic, just go to your local gaming store's events. Also, Duels feels much more like rl Magic than you would expect, I too dislike online CCGs but then, most online and rl CCGs are boring af. Duels plays more like rl Magic than anything else, the stack and priority and all is represented well.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Kowaghuz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Taking my posts back to serious MTG discussion, I absolutely abhor card games but meanwhile I adore the idea of dimension-jumping fantasy world from fantasy world, gathering an army of magical supaheroes and saving/destroying the day with them.

[+] SPOILER
THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THEY HAVEN'T MADE A DWARF CARD IN 10 YEARS AND ALL DWARF CARDS BEFOREHAND WERE RED

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
User

by Zonoro13 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Who needs dorfs when you have ELDRAZI?!?!
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Kowaghuz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:Who needs dorfs when you have ELDRAZI?!?!

Who needs dwarves when you have the fifth quadrillion elf card in your deck?

User

by Zonoro13 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Funny you mention elves, because that's a good chunk of the metagame of Duels. BG elves wreck. Elves and RU Thopters are super popular archetypes in this ~250 card pool.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Kowaghuz » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:55 am

Zonoro13 wrote:Elveselveselveselves

It's worse than I thought - that they were just a race ditched away like dwarves to the lesser extent of having a card or two released rarely.
User

by Pepe » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:19 am

Kowaghuz wrote:
Zonoro13 wrote:Who needs dorfs when you have ELDRAZI?!?!

Who needs dwarves when you have the fifth quadrillion elf card in your deck?

K
So
Boo
Boo
You
Better
Stop
Josh dun
User

by Zonoro13 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:50 am

I just had the most bizzare game. I was playing a blue-black control deck. I don't have many of the good cards, so my win-cons were basically killing my opponents' fatties and reviving them. No Willbreaker or Disciple of the Ring (I want those so bad).

I played against a four-color (no white) deck that had basically nothing but board wipes, value and card draw cards. This was beyond control. It was the slowest, most redonkulous thing I'd ever seen. If I'd played aggro I'd have beaten him in five turns.

He didn't play anything for a couple turns, just lands. The first three cards he played were Evolutionary Leap (he never used it) and two Elemental Bonds. Wat? Then a Perilous Myr.

Meanwhile, I had a decent hand with Frost Lynx, Harbinger of the Tides, some other stuff. I had to play my creatures with no targets for their abilities because his deck was doing nothing.

This guy had to discard cards every turn for the whole game, he was drawing so much. By the end of the game he'd almost milled himself to death.

I lost because I had no threats and he attacked with random creatures like Bounding Krasis. I laughed to death.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Kowaghuz » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:05 pm

I'll keep the thread up with a raeg posts.

THERE ARE NO DWARVES IN RAVNICA(My fav. plane concept-wise)

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(I'm talking about dwarven citizens, not cards. ;-;)
User

by Zonoro13 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:53 pm

I went to the BFZ prerelease yesterday, went 1-2 and won one pack. I was blue-red Eldrazi/good stuff. Two Heralds of Kozilek were gr8.

I lost to a black-white lifegain deck with Drana and Drana's Emissary, with a lot of insane allies. I also lost to red-black eldrazi with Ob Nixilis Regnited.

I got a lot of value in my pool, Ruinous Path, Sire of Stagnation, promo foil Guardian of Tazeem, Zada, Hedron Grinder, Shambling Vent, Stasis Snare, Transgress the Mind, and Munda, Ambush Leader are all worth some coin.
-Terry Pratchett

User