Origins Boss Music

For the King!

Origins Boss Music

by 86er » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:28 am

It feels like the lack of boss music for all but the Spider Goddess is a mark of disrespect to the bosses themselves. The continuation of the regular stage music during the runthrough of said bosses seems to neglect the aura of challenge and menace that bosses of old do.

On a smaller scale, it could affect gameplay if, for instance, someone is so tunnel visioned on the later half of the map that they neglect to focus attention of the boss until they are halfway across because there was no change in music.

What I would like to see is for the music that plays when the Spider Goddess is out to also play whenever the other main bosses are out. I know it is late in the time that the game has been released, but I think it is worth attention in the updates department.
User

Re: Origins Boss Music

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:34 am

I also miss the music for boss battles. Origins doesn't have as many interesting bosses (only Baj'nimen, Malicia, and the Goddess are original, and Malicia isn't even much of a challenge) but this could help them somewhat.
BBB

by Manijure » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:15 am

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed that the only boss music was during the Spider Goddess fight. I wanted something godly like the Frontiers boss music (you know it's real when I have this song on my phone), but I guess it didn't happen. I do like the Spider Goddess theme, although it's not really epic as it is weird, menacing, and grotesque (fitting the Spider Goddess herself).

I don't think IH will be focusing on the Origins music for a while, if ever, since they're working on Iron Marines and Kingdom Rush IV. My fingers are crossed, though; as a musician, music is everything to me.
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:03 pm

I hope Iron Marines has an awesome soundtrack.
BBB

by 86er » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:21 am

Other than a few days to weeks of code modification to somehow wriggle the boss music into the bosses' appearances themselves, I see no reason why there shouldn't be a maintenance update with this feature.
User

by Ninja » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:25 am

86er wrote:Other than a few days to weeks of code modification to somehow wriggle the boss music into the bosses' appearances themselves, I see no reason why there shouldn't be a maintenance update with this in the feature.

Agreed.
:hero:
User

by Juice Box » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:19 am

Ninja wrote:
86er wrote:Other than a few days to weeks of code modification to somehow wriggle the boss music into the bosses' appearances themselves, I see no reason why there shouldn't be a maintenance update with this in the feature.

Agreed.

No, not agreed.

Boss music, if you hadn't noticed, requires a small cutscene to introduce it. You ever notice how all the bosses in Frontiers have a cutscene to introduce them? That isn't just there to add to the coolness factor, it's also so that the game can switch music. Because you can't just shift between normal music and then boss music all of a sudden. If IH is going to incorporate your suggestion, they'll need to add a cutscene to pretty much all the bosses, a major hassle when you think about it.

Don't get me wrong, I want boss music, too, I just wanted to correct what you said up there.

I don't see why we have to stop at boss music, though. Because that isn't just the only problem regarding bosses in Origins: I'm pretty sure most of us thought Bram and Godieth were incredibly unsatisfying, and Baj'Nimen was too much a pain in the ass for your Hero to actually make him fun to fight. Origins bosses just don't bring an oomph factor to them like Umbra and the others do: they're boring, their fights are linear, and most of what they can do, we've seen before.
User

by The Kingmaker » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:38 am

Juice Bow I do agree with, especially on improving the actual bosses, but all three main Origins bosses have cutscenes, Hi Hi Enya as he burts from the cage, Malicia as she gets off her throne and The Spider Godess after Malicia and Maxtans fuse
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Juice Box » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:35 am

The Kingmaker wrote:Juice Bow I do agree with, especially on improving the actual bosses, but all three main Origins bosses have cutscenes, Hi Hi Enya as he burts from the cage, Malicia as she gets off her throne and The Spider Godess after Malicia and Maxtans fuse

Then there's no solid justification for why Hi Hi Enya doesn't have proper boss music. I'm quite certain Malicia's "cutscene" doesn't count, though--it barely even lasts a second.
User

by Ninja » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Juice Box wrote:
The Kingmaker wrote:Juice Bow I do agree with, especially on improving the actual bosses, but all three main Origins bosses have cutscenes, Hi Hi Enya as he burts from the cage, Malicia as she gets off her throne and The Spider Godess after Malicia and Maxtans fuse

Then there's no solid justification for why Hi Hi Enya doesn't have proper boss music. I'm quite certain Malicia's "cutscene" doesn't count, though--it barely even lasts a second.

Her cutscene lasts while she flies to the center of the battlefield. That's long enough to transition over to boss music. ;)
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:44 am

Um, JB? The very first game of KR didn't need cutscenes to introduce the bosses; just a slight delay in their appearance on the battlefield. The "major hassle" of incorporating intros for the bosses is not an actual issue at all. ;)
BBB

by AerisDraco » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:19 am

Though, most KR bosses had a new wave dedicated to them.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:59 am

AerisDraco wrote:Though, most KR bosses had a new wave dedicated to them.

What difference does that make? (I genuinely don't know :oops: )
BBB

by Juice Box » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:14 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:Um, JB? The very first game of KR didn't need cutscenes to introduce the bosses; just a slight delay in their appearance on the battlefield. The "major hassle" of incorporating intros for the bosses is not an actual issue at all. ;)

... Oh, yeah... Huh...

Okay, then, I guess the suggestion makes sense, so long as Ironhide makes the music fit.
User

by The_TaTs » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:03 am

Accidentaly enters this thread.

Slowly backs away and closes the door ninja-silently before anyone notices.
User

by Pencil » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:59 pm

Ironhide Developer

by Simmonds91 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:34 pm

AB... Whyd you have to remind me of that penciiil! :cry:
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by 86er » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:47 am

Regardless of whether or not a cutscene is required, I fail to see how IH couldn't just dedicate about a month more or less to get the boss music to play for all bosses.

Plus, part of what made some of Frontiers' bosses cool is their own unique minions that appear only when their boss does.
Perhaps Bram Could have spawned Greater Blood Gnolls and Godieth could have called Tainted Titans to come from the lava pit.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:37 pm

86er wrote:Regardless of whether or not a cutscene is required, I fail to see how IH couldn't just dedicate about a month more or less to get the boss music to play for all bosses.

Plus, part of what made some of Frontiers' bosses cool is their own unique minions that appear only when their boss does.
Perhaps Bram Could have spawned Greater Blood Gnolls and Godieth could have called Tainted Titans to come from the lava pit.

Making digital music is really hard. I downloaded an app called Nanostudio, and it takes a great deal of dedication to put together all of the sounds and make them sound right. Perhaps it's because I don't play any instruments, so I'm just not musically-inclined, but it seems like a gruelling process to me. While I would prefer music to no music in the games, I just wanted to mention that it would be a lot of work for the already-busy Ironhide, or a lot of money to hire another studio to make the soundtrack.
BBB

by Juice Box » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:
86er wrote:Regardless of whether or not a cutscene is required, I fail to see how IH couldn't just dedicate about a month more or less to get the boss music to play for all bosses.

Making digital music is really hard. I downloaded an app called Nanostudio, and it takes a great deal of dedication to put together all of the sounds and make them sound right. Perhaps it's because I don't play any instruments, so I'm just not musically-inclined, but it seems like a gruelling process to me. While I would prefer music to no music in the games, I just wanted to mention that it would be a lot of work for the already-busy Ironhide, or a lot of money to hire another studio to make the soundtrack.

^^Yes, that. But anyways, when you're in a business, two of the primary things that keep you back are time and budget. Ironhide needs more of both, from what I know.

Especially more so when you consider that you're putting in time and budget on a small update for a game that's been out for more than a year already. Remember that releasing an update for a game that's been out for a year is pretty hard, since people would have moved on already.
User

Next