Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth II

Talk about anything game related!

Re: Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth II

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:25 pm

I had to bring this thread back after all the playing I've done.

First, look at this:

I went to Mirkwood, set the game to no AI, and filled the map with Fortresses with enhanced vision until I found Gollum. I levelled up Wormtongue at some Spider Lairs and used his level 10 skill to take control of Gollum. He has no powers, can't be set to any stances, and can't attack anything, but it was so cool to actually control him. I'm surprised that controlling him was in the game at all.

Second, I still can't get the game to work on my computer. My parents even looked into it online and couldn't figure out how to fix it. Does anyone here know a lot about computers and old PC games enough to help me?
BBB

by xstargaming » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:48 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Second, I still can't get the game to work on my computer. My parents even looked into it online and couldn't figure out how to fix it. Does anyone here know a lot about computers and old PC games enough to help me?

You rang? :)

Let's begin with the obvious: have you tried setting the game into compatibility mode for an older version of Windows?
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:18 am

You're amazing, Xstar. :D

Forewarning: You'll have to be very patient with me since I don't know most things that would come across as basic knowledge when it comes to computer technology. :oops:

I bought a new computer, so would I still set the compatibility for an older version of the game?
BBB

by xstargaming » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:33 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:You're amazing, Xstar. :D

Forewarning: You'll have to be very patient with me since I don't know most things that would come across as basic knowledge when it comes to computer technology. :oops:

I bought a new computer, so would I still set the compatibility for an older version of the game?

Yes, most certainly. The purpose of the setting is to allow older games to run on newer computers by emulating an older version of the operating system. :)
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:14 am

Ok, I'll try it right now. How would I set up the game's compatibility?
BBB

by xstargaming » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:21 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:Ok, I'll try it right now. How would I set up the game's compatibility?

Right-click on the game (or its shortcut), then click properties. Once there, find the tab that says "Compatibility." Check the box which states to run the game for an older version of Windows. :)
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:42 am

xstargaming wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:Ok, I'll try it right now. How would I set up the game's compatibility?

Right-click on the game (or its shortcut), then click properties. Once there, find the tab that says "Compatibility." Check the box which states to run the game for an older version of Windows. :)

I'm given many options for the version of Windows to run. The list is as follows:

Windows 95
Windows 98/ Windows Me
Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
Windows Vista
Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)
Windows 7
Windows 8

How would I determine which one to use?
BBB

by xstargaming » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:How would I determine which one to use?

This game came out near to 2006, ergo I'd recommend trying Windows XP (since the operating system was the one primarily in service at the time).
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:22 pm

There are 2 versions of XP available. Would it matter much if I chose Service Pack 1 over 2?
BBB

by xstargaming » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:There are 2 versions of XP available. Would it matter much if I chose Service Pack 1 over 2?

I recommend Service Pack 2, though there shouldn't be a large difference.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:53 pm

xstargaming wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:There are 2 versions of XP available. Would it matter much if I chose Service Pack 1 over 2?

I'll try that one, then.

If you don't mind the detour, what engenders your recommendation?
BBB

by xstargaming » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:51 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:I'll try that one, then.

If you don't mind the detour, what engenders your recommendation?

It really was just a security update, but it's best to have the newer version of the older software -- if only for stability's sake. :)
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon May 16, 2016 2:03 am

xstargaming wrote:

I know, I know, this thread is old. However, I still really want to play this game and hopefully get other forum members to enjoy the game as well. :)

So, firstly, I made a typo. There is no Service Pack 1, but there is a Service Pack 3. Is 2 still the better option, or does 3 trump it by being a higher number?

Also, I've tried SP 2 and I'm told by the computer that I need to insert the correct CD-ROM even though I already have inserted it. I click OK, the game window dissipates, and when I click on the game tab again, the window is stuck on the title screen, where the bottom icon for the window is just black. :(
BBB

by The Kingmaker » Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 am

I was going to post here but I forgot :P

I got Edain Mod. It's great.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by The Kingmaker » Mon May 16, 2016 6:23 am

well this is in the wrong thread :P
Last edited by The Kingmaker on Mon May 16, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My treasured creations:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon May 16, 2016 12:28 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:I was going to post here but I forgot :P

I got Edain Mod. It's great.

Don't rub it in. :(

Are you going to participate in a future RuudDevil Edain Mod Cup? Also, what are your least to most favourite factions?
BBB

by The Kingmaker » Mon May 16, 2016 3:07 pm

No, as in currently only fighting Medium AI (I'll graduate to hard soon) and I don't have the required internet communication stuff.

I've only played most so far, and only one or two games each. I play one game every two days or so after revision.
Least->Most liked
Arnor: N/A not checked them out yet.
Mordor: My micro isn't up to their orcs yet. Their heroes died too quickly and their fortresses are too expensive. This will probably move up as I improve.
Angmar: cool heroes (watching Zaphragor get to level 10 just in time to kill himself and dent Galadriel before she killed him was awesome), but overly expensive mid tier units and sparse high tier units undermine their reliable early units.
Gondor: They're ok I suppose. Basic infantry is a bit weak, but heroes and all of Dol Amroth is awesome, especially Imrahil. If only Dol Amroth looked better. Stone workers Op
Dwarves: At equal points too much and not enough diversity between Dwarf houses. Also, while effective, their tactics aren't all that flashy
Elves: Pretty, effective and with awesome heroes. A variety of tactics from their limited units, and some really cool parts.
Rohan: Nice two sides of a coin, both of which are effective with my level of micro. Peasant spam covers most bases, Théoden guarantees a nice economy (and is awesome with the Ring), plentiful useful heroes and the best cavalry.
Isengard: the first faction I played. Simple, brutal, and darned efficient. Use scouts, heroes and wild men until mine shafts, armouries and level 2 Uruk pits are up. Proceed to spam already strong base units with less than 200 resources per upgrade, topped with some nice Christoper Lee sprinkles.

My treasured creations:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon May 16, 2016 3:12 pm

I like your Zaphragor story. ;)

Hopefully, if I ever get the base game to work, I can then get the Edain Mod and we can play together. :) Since we'll both be noobs, we can probably just mess around instead of doing any real fighting, like putting together 2 giant armies and seeing which one wins.
BBB

by The Kingmaker » Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Having played most of the factions again I won't make a new list, but there are some updates.

Armor is really cool. Probably cooler than Gondor. Why? 90% of their army is elves. Well, two units and two heroes, but they make the bulk of my army. Early stoneworker, wait until it's up then build a Lindon tower at one of the near built plots (Cirdan as my early game hero) and then a barracks and blacksmith. Creep with basic soldiers and some Lindons, build up forces, build farms at all plots beyond strategic ones, which get another Lindon tower. When economy and enemy are secure, but Imladris and get Glorfindel + Enchanted Anvil (-33% upgrades for only 500 gold). Upgrade barracks to get tier 2 swordsmen or vary Lindons from swordsmen. Fill base with blacksmiths and upgrade troops and finish. If that doesn't work, all the farms you're in the process of losing have lowered the cost of Wind Riders from 1500 to about 915. All three and Glorfindel finish off remaining creeps, outposts and resources, putting the enemy in a strangle hold to finish with the main, now upgraded, army. I don't even get many of their troops or heroes. Fun and effective, but of course Rivendell would be better.
Yesterday I was against Lorien, who put up quite a fight. I had found them back to the river in the map (giving me 65% of map), but they got an Ent Moot and Mirkwood at the side nearest their base and proceeded to fight me back. I replenished my lost army and Cirdan (who Thranduil killed, but he was spawned from the Citadel, not Mirkwood. Silly AI) to hold the base units and their Mirkwood reinforcements, losing hordes to the rather OP Ents. The newly Minted Glorfindel and Wind Riders did a clean sweep, destroying Mirkwood proper on their first charge, before Hobbits killed the enemy spearmen, they returned, destroyed the rest of Mirkwood, the Ent Moot, a second Mirkwood the other side of the river and all but one Mallon tree, crippling my enemy and winning me the game by putting Mirkwood and Ents out of commission

Still not sold on Mordor. Angmar is pretty cool, they move up a bit. Rohan down a couple, Gondor down a step. Lorien are cool but I still feel a bit bland with only 4-5 base units plus beornings. I enjoy fighting Angmar, as they have no chance of getting cavalry quickly, negating the use of spearmen entirely. Haldir's golden arrow one-shots Thrall Masters, which means he's really great against them.

My treasured creations:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri May 20, 2016 12:06 am

Do you feel like the Edain Mod is complex? I have lots of trouble keeping up with all of the stuff happening in Ruud's videos because there are so many units, powers, effects, and implications with each purchase that are second nature to him and other players. It's definitely a more complicated game than the vanilla BFME2.

Also, have you seen MaeglinSonofEol's videos of unpatched BFME2 tournaments and duels? His accent is hilarious sometimes, but he gives good commentary. ;)
BBB

PreviousNext