2016 Contest Discussion

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Re: 2016 Contest Discussion

by Ninja » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:17 am

Well how much does anonymity in contests matter anyway, really? Who would seriously let something as petty as a username affect the entry they vote for?
:hero:
User

by Juice Box » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:04 am

Ninja wrote:Well how much does anonymity in contests matter anyway, really? Who would seriously let something as petty as a username affect the entry they vote for?

I'm pretty sure it's just a bias factor. Like, for example:

"BBB tends to win all the time at KR contests. So I'll just look at his entry since he's probably gonna win again."
"Kingmaker is a major wimp nublet and constantly loses at every single KR contest because he is a major wimp nublet. So I might as well just skip his entry."

It's a stupid way of thinking, obviously, but it's hard to blame anyone when all entries combined exceeds maybe five thousand words. Nobody wants to read that much to make one vote, anyway.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:17 pm

I'd like a contest where there isn't so much to read. Of course, it would be hard to do that, especially since so many people participate in contests now, but there's a lot to read and I ended up not making a vote or doing more reviews because it took so long.

I appreciate having more members on the forum, but I also preferred when contests had 2-4 entries at a time.
BBB

by The Kingmaker » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:22 pm

I agree with BBB that walls of text just hurt my eyes and if there are too many entries some get skipped. Perhaps it was because we all had to make 4 enemies instead of just one but it took me two tries to get to the final entry. A happy medium between length of contest and participants would be ideal.

My legal team informs me that I cannot legally confirm or deny any promotion from minor wimp nublet to major wimp nublet.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Ninja » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:25 pm

The length is never a problem for me. It took me maybe 10 minutes to read the entries. Besides, there's no way that you could ensure only 2-4 people entering the contest.

(Shouldn't this thread be stickied?)
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:42 pm

Ninja wrote:Well how much does anonymity in contests matter anyway, really? Who would seriously let something as petty as a username affect the entry they vote for?

In my experience being a moderator can make you a target for either affection and loyalty (I'l vote for this person, because their a mod and I want to be on their good side) or jealousy and hatred (I'm not voting for them, they told me off once for spamming). Alternatively, for non-mods there is a degree of friendship and rivalry that may swing your votes. If you see an entry by someone who is your best friend you may be more inclined to vote for them, rather than for someone who you disagree with and argue with all the time, even if your friends entry is vastly inferior to the other.

It's petty, of course it is. But it happens. Maybe not here and now, but it could happen in the future with new members. This is why all entries are kept private until the winners are declared. That said, there are no rules stating that you can't reveal which entry is yours during voting. If you want to give up your anonymity then that's entirely your choice.

Big Bad Bug wrote:I'd like a contest where there isn't so much to read. Of course, it would be hard to do that, especially since so many people participate in contests now, but there's a lot to read and I ended up not making a vote or doing more reviews because it took so long.

I appreciate having more members on the forum, but I also preferred when contests had 2-4 entries at a time.

It really depends on the amount of entries. The Enemy combine had eight entries, which is a lot considering previous contests have only had four or five. If we'd had less entries it probably would have been easier to read. Likewise, if we have a small contest with only three entries, it's going to feel like there's nothing to read. It's all swings and roundabouts.

I will try and vary the sizes of the entries so we have a big contest (like we just did) followed by a few smaller ones, then a big one again. I had planned on a fairly big one next, but I can shelve that for later, and replace it with a smaller one fr next week and we'll go on from there.

Ninja wrote:(Shouldn't this thread be stickied?)

That can be remedied.
Yes it's me

by Ninja » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:08 pm

How about we have a poll to decide what the next contest will be? Or is that too over the top?
User

by Ruby_Hex » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:52 am

Ninja wrote:How about we have a poll to decide what the next contest will be? Or is that too over the top?

Obviously my opinion isn't law, but I think that could work very well because of the fact that the option that people like the best, wins, and therefor the most people would participate in the contest.
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by RaZoR LeAf » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:28 pm

The problem with voting is that you can get a head start on your ideas and planning before the poll is up based on the most votes. At least when it's spontanius, nobody knows the details until they see it.
Yes it's me

by Anorak » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Couldn't you hide the results of the voting until after the voting is over?
User

by Magnus0 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:17 pm

Are we going to do a simple spring-themed contest?
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:55 pm

Magnus0 wrote:Are we going to do a simple spring-themed contest?

Potentially. I'm going to have a talk with BBB about maybe tying it in with his Dragon Campaign.
Yes it's me

by Magnus0 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:08 pm

Hmm, yeah... bump.

We haven't had a content since like last year. I think that now is a good time since the forum is surprisingly active due to te tvsm thread in off topic.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Magnus0 wrote:Hmm, yeah... bump.

We haven't had a content since like last year. I think that now is a good time since the forum is surprisingly active due to te tvsm thread in off topic.

I can manage a contest, but I know Razor would prefer it if he was in charge instead.

I will have a contest to design the Dragon King boss battle for Burning Skies, but we're not at that stage yet. ;)
BBB

by Magnus0 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:56 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:
Magnus0 wrote:Hmm, yeah... bump.

I can manage a contest, but I know Razor would prefer it if he was in charge instead.

I will have a contest to design the Dragon King boss battle for Burning Skies, but we're not at that stage yet. ;)

When do you think that we will be at that stage?

Maybe we can do another contest before the Burning Skies contest. I mean, the Burning Skies contest doesn't look like it will be that big, so we might be able use that one as a small contest in between some bigger contests.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Do you have any ideas for contests?
BBB

by Ninja » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Do you have any ideas for contests?

We could have a good ol' fashioned hero contest to kill time while we wait. Those are always fun.
User

by Magnus0 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:50 pm

Ninja wrote:

We could have a good ol' fashioned hero contest to kill time while we wait. Those are always fun.

I approve. Just something nice and simple.

If we are really going to do a hero contest, should we have a cool theme or should it be a free-for-all?
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by Ninja » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Magnus0 wrote:
Ninja wrote:

I approve. Just something nice and simple.

If we are really going to do a hero contest, should we have a cool theme or should it be a free-for-all?

I prefer free-for-all slightly, but I'd really be fine with either.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:44 pm

I thought you wanted something bigger than the Burning Skies contest (which hurts my feelings that you don't think it's going to be big :( ). Now you want something nice and simple?
BBB

PreviousNext