Game Recommendations

Talk about anything game related!

Game Recommendations

by Juice Box » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Prepare for some serious reading, nublets.

A Quaint Explanation

So the problem here is I literally have five months worth of vacay. Yeah, five months of no school, literally nothing to do and with an immense amount of time on my hands. I just finished my senior year of high school in this school called MC. Now, in this country, normal schooling goes from June to March, not August to May. But the college I wanted and got into follows international standards--their school calendar is normal and the same as what most countries typically abide to. So basically I've got all of March to all of July to waste, and I need stuff to do.

School for me actually ended 3rd of March, and since then I've been chilling to the most maxest. But now it's the 21st and I still have months to go through and I need more stuff to do. I'm planning on learning the guitar and trying out for this really cool dance group that I really want to join but never did 'cause academics, also probably gonna take advanced summer classes to meet hot people and to make sure math doesn't screw me over when college officially starts, but mostly I just want to meet hot people, and I should probably do something about the fact that I spent a huge amount of my savings from the 3rd to the 21st, but lol fuck all-a that shit for now, nerd-mode calls me and I need games.

Preferential Options

I mostly exclusively play 1) strategy games, 2) management games, and 3) story-rich games. Strategy games as in ones where you command people and stuff and watch them fight, management games where you build stuff and y'know, manage shit, and story-rich games where even if gameplay basically involves fucking around with some geometric shapes, you still wanna finish the story because you want to know if Pentagon gets her well-deserved happily ever after with Triangle.

Do note that life hates me and prevents me from knowing much about the gaming community, so you can probably throw me a really popular game title and I probably wouldn't know about it. So hit me with anything. As much as possible, it would be better if the game was available on Steam. It would also be better if the game's price didn't hate my wallet. That last part is practically a must--I'm sixteen, guys, I don't wanna work at a Wendy's just so I can get that game you thought I might like.

Okay RECOMMEND STUFF NAO GO
User

Re: Game Recommendations

by AerisDraco » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Civilization.
Huge Civ fan here.
Definitely fulfills the management genre.
There are two on Steam right now, V and Beyond Earth. I recommend Civ V, as it's complete and there are a lot more mods.
Though, I would wait until there's a Steam sale, as at the last sale (Lunar New Year), it was $15 instead of $50 for the complete edition with all DLC.

As for story, try Undertale. I've heard the story is pretty good.

As for strategy, there's this cool new game that's going to come out. I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but it's called Iron Marines. :lol:
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by The Kingmaker » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:27 pm

Make fur of me and all, but I've really got back into Pokemon as a stress-reliever at my current stage of revision-mania. I mean older games that I can play on my banged-up DS lite, but that's just me.

I have no other recommendations as I'm too busy revising to play games beyond casual pocket-monster bashing. Congratulations on getting through your own exam period (I assume what with the three month holiday)
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by xstargaming » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:50 pm

If you haven't yet played Warcraft III, it's a fun strategy-based game with an intriguing storyline that takes place from multiple perspectives of the characters within it. I just played through it a few months back and enjoyed it a lot! The graphics are a tad outdated compared to the beauty that newer games can offer, but the quality of gameplay and storyline makes up for that. :)

Rollercoaster Tycoon is another fantastic game, perfect for your enjoyment of the tycoon genre. It's been ages since I last played it, but I remember it providing a great deal of fun.

Also, if you get discontented with playing games, I recommend going out and conducting scientific research. Take some soil samples from outside and examine the bacteria count in varying locations or conduct some other form of experimentation. Of course, that's simply my preference. Perhaps you could take some time to learn more about the fields you're interested in; acquire new knowledge and prepare for your time at college. :D
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:46 am

What platforms do you play on? I know PC for sure, but nothing else. I can therefore only recommend Edain Mod and the Battles of the Third Age Mod for BFME 2.
BBB

by Chimto » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:00 am

Third Age: Total War

This mod basically transforms M2TW into the Lord of the Rings strategy game you’ve always wanted. Every race is represented in the 12 factions (29 with the Divide and Conquer submod), including Orcs, Elves, Dwarves and the forces of Mordor. If you want to lead the Riders of Rohan into battle against Isengard, go ahead. If you want to reenact the Battle of the Five Armies, knock yourself out. Giant spiders, Ents and Mûmakil are all here.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Juice Box » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Arrrrrgh, so much to reply to ;-; .

Looked at it a little, seems pretty cool. Though it seems really similar to this one game I have called Mount and Blade: Warband, except combat seems much less interesting.

I don't know, but in Warband, you command huge armies, too, but you also get to be an actual warrior in it, and fighting is much more hectic and fast-paced. What's even better is there's also a LotR mod which makes everything Lotr-esque and beautiful, with Arnor and Gondor and like all the other sixteen or so factions or whurrever.

Big Bad Bug wrote:What platforms do you play on? I know PC for sure, but nothing else. I can therefore only recommend Edain Mod and the Battles of the Third Age Mod for BFME 2.

Just PC, no consoles or anything. And I don't have BFME anymore :b .

Though really, Elves ftw, and your silly Dwarves are still nothing to me.

xstargaming wrote:If you haven't yet played Warcraft III, it's a fun strategy-based game with an intriguing storyline that takes place from multiple perspectives of the characters within it. I just played through it a few months back and enjoyed it a lot! The graphics are a tad outdated compared to the beauty that newer games can offer, but the quality of gameplay and storyline makes up for that. :)

Haha, I loved that game as a kid. Got pretty tired of it, though, since Blizzard's other game, StarCraft, is basically better, but I shall forever fervently remember the might of the Hooooooorde.

But seriously, what factions do you normally use? 'Cause I just go Horde all the way, baby, nothing breaks through a solid line of Tauren.

AerisDraco wrote:Civilization.

Yeah, probably gonna get that soon. Probably gonna wait 'til one of my online friends gets it, though, so I can fam-share it with them instead of paying for the actual game :b .

Can you give me some background, though, on what you actually do in Civilization? Is it turn-based or what? 'Cause I sort of want to know hao it's different from all the other neat citybuilders, like Cities: Skylines or SimCity.

Kingmaker wrote:Make fur of me and all, but I've really got back into Pokemon as a stress-reliever at my current stage of revision-mania. I mean older games that I can play on my banged-up DS lite, but that's just me.

I never liked Pokemon. I know that makes me an evil person and I apologize wholeheartedly.
User

by AerisDraco » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Civ is turn-based city and army management. The map is hex based, and there are many, many things to keep track of, some of which even I don't understand after having the game for a year.

Really, the main differences between it and other city builders are as follows: (At least SimCity)
-You can make an army
-There are other players that can take your cities
-Buildings can't be upgraded
-Drains a lot more time

There are also a bunch of good mods that you should try after your first few playthroughs. Like Colonialist Legacies or Future Worlds.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Chimto » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:12 pm

Juice Box wrote:Looked at it a little, seems pretty cool. Though it seems really similar to this one game I have called Mount and Blade: Warband, except combat seems much less interesting.

I don't know, but in Warband, you command huge armies, too, but you also get to be an actual warrior in it, and fighting is much more hectic and fast-paced. What's even better is there's also a LotR mod which makes everything Lotr-esque and beautiful, with Arnor and Gondor and like all the other sixteen or so factions or whurrever.

Can you really compare them like that though? One is an RTS/grand strategy hybrid, and the other is an action RPG with only *elements* of strategy. In Total War you play a ruler of an Empire commanding armies and generals. In Mount and Blade, you're the general. The boots on the ground, and all that.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:32 pm

In that case, Juice Box, allow me to copy-paste this recommendation that I wrote for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen:

I haven't played a new game in ages (except for one for my birthday, which is Smash Bros) since some old ones that I've picked up again have been entertaining me greatly. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has been what I've played the most recently for the past 2 months. It's from a couple of years ago, so there's no reason for it and the DLC to be expensive at all.

DD is one of my favourite games ever at the moment, but it takes some getting used to. I used to dislike the story, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. You get some direction in the tutorial but pretty much nothing afterwards. I used to think that this made the player feel lost and detached from the world, but it instead made me more engaged. It felt more realistic because the character isn't used to the world outside of his/her town, so the events that you could see or miss naturally happened based in your own experience, so rare cutscenes felt all the more special. The main quest is still overall weird because you run about a lot, but there are lots of planned moments that also really work. Playing it for the story is somewhat impossible since it's so gameplay-heavy, but I personally prefer that anyways, and you still get some interesting tidbits throughout the main adventure to make you wonder about the world. I always felt like there could be more story, but I craved it in a good way because what I got was really engaging. The end is enough to leave you thinking heavily about the game afterwards, and it pushed me to do another playthrough.

Gameplay is by far the best part of the game. Classes stick heavily to what they are, so Warriors will be heavy, slow characters dealing massive damage in lone strikes, while Rangers are quick characters who need to hit a lot of times and can dodge attacks, and Sorcerers cast giant spells that do gargantuan amounts of damage in an AOE the size of a house but are frail. You can make hybrid classes to combine certain traits that you like a lot. I always pick Macigic Archer because the character can dodge attacks, which I enjoy since it prevents me from taking damage, while also using spells to dish out massive damage to enemies. You can always change your class at inns, which are easy to access. The amount of skills available are more than enough, and equipment is so varied that you can dedicate a lot of time and effort into creating specific builds.

Enemies are also really awesome. Something about creatures interests me more than humanoid enemies, and there are plenty of both. Common enemies show up in pretty large groups in some areas, so you can get a good challenge facing them and feel awesome taking on so many enemies at once, who all actively work towards killing you and your party. It isn't a game where most enemies will spectate and walk around while you fight just one enemy, which I despise. Giant monsters almost define this game, since you can climb them Shadow-of-the-Colossus style and deal bonus damage as well as hitting critical points to cut off dangerous body parts or cause even greater harm. Alternatively, the most massive spells that wizards cast can be charged up for a full minute before releasing the ultimate move that can instakill several bosses. The giant beasts have very specific unique fighting styles, weaknesses, and attacks. The animators worked really hard to create varied movesets for all creatures, so there's a lot to keep track of when facing any enemy, making them stand out amongst other video game enemies.

Your party consists of Pawns, made by other players or computer-generated for you. Everyone makes their own Main Pawn, a permanent member of the party, who is then available for other players to hire (you won't lose the pawn while he or she is hired, they can be in multiple places at once) and earn experience for, even bringing back valuable gifts is the players are generous. I can get you some cool gear if you want to let me use your pawn. ;) You can hire 2 other pawns, which are other players' Main Pawns, all of whom are the classes that you can play as, save for the hybrid classes. You can even have a clone of yourself if you want, or cosplay with any duo of characters. I'm going to make Drake and Josh on my Hard Mode playthrough. :P You can chose not to use pawns and get extra XP for it. I play with just my Main Pawn so that the 2 of us gain levels more quickly.

The map is huge and supported with varied enemy types and combinations, an absolutely fantastic soundtrack, and lots of special places to explore. The open world lets you rush to any area of your choice to get certain loot immediately if you can handle the challenge of facing extra hard enemies for extra hard loot. It makes the game extremely replayable and perfect for creating a certain type of character as soon as possible so that you can play most of the game with whatever equipment that you want. I'd claim that it even does this better than Dark and Demon's Souls.

From my experience, this game is quite similar to Dark Souls for this one big reason: You have to commit to it. You need to learn enemy weaknesses and attack patterns if you want to not die all of the time. You'll want to save often so that a Griffin doesn't randomly swoop down and kill you to some epic music. You want to manage your inventory when you return to the main hub, selling things and getting new equipment as the shops restock. You'll want to memorise the quests that cause certain items to be available for purchase, and unlock new enemy types in the world. It's not as big of a commitment as a Souls game, but one nonetheless. I never have a problem with this, personally, because I have a good memory which becomes near-photographic when I play video games. :P

A lot of people give up on this game, then come back to play and start to love it afterwards. I did, a speed runner on Twich whom I'm watch job play the game now, and some other people who have made videos about it in YouTube saying that they like it more once they play it again. I'm saying this because you could possibly feel ripped off buying the game and not enjoying it as much, returning the game. Instead, take the break from it that you need, and try it again to see how much you like it then.
BBB

by Ninja » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:13 am

Big Bad Bug wrote: ... Smash Bros)

Smaaaash Brooooos. *accidentally drools* Welp, that's my queue to go and play for a couple (thousand) hours. :P
:hero:
User

by Simmonds91 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:15 am

Love the review BBB, though the idea that people give up on it... Tell me this about kingdom rush and id feel the same, though maybe im just badass compared to most people (of course). I really like it for the biiiig monsters and is also the reason why im a fan of monster hunter, i mean giant enemies in a jason v goliath epic death match, whats not to love? And you can climb these monsters too like in shadow of the collosus emphasising the "epic battle"..ness of it :lol:
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Simmonds91 wrote:Love the review BBB, though the idea that people give up on it... Tell me this about kingdom rush and id feel the same, though maybe im just badass compared to most people (of course). I really like it for the biiiig monsters and is also the reason why im a fan of monster hunter, i mean giant enemies in a jason v goliath epic death match, whats not to love? And you can climb these monsters too like in shadow of the collosus emphasising the "epic battle"..ness of it :lol:

Review? I'd hardly call it that; there's "aught" left to discuss, though I left it out to try and keep it shorter. An unfiltered analysis by me would spawn over multiple pages. :P

Lobos Jr said during playthrough that he initially quit out of boredom but had so much fun the second time playing it. He started to really have fun as soon as the big monsters appeared a lot. I would recommend watching his playthrough on YouTube, but that time is better spent just playing the game. ;)
BBB

by magicmetal03 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:08 am

Iron Marines.Definetely a good game.Oh,wait.It's not out yet.

How about Rollercoaster Tycoon 3?Or Age Of Empires 2?Or Game Dev Tycoon?
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:10 am

Hello? JB? Are you there? I spent a lot of time trying to give you help, and so did lots of others members.
BBB

by Juice Box » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:19 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Hello? JB? Are you there? I spent a lot of time trying to give you help, and so did lots of others members.

Yeah, I apologize--I was writing a long reply and the Forums wouldn't register it, and by the second time I had to retype it I gave up.

But anyways:

@BBB

Dragon's Dogma doesn't seem to be my kind of game, from the way you describe it. I don't find RPG games very enjoyable, especially when your party is usually a very small group. Vast worlds often don't interest me, either--I'd rather play around with different unit types and experiment and whatnot. And even worse is how you, like you said, "have to commit" to the game. I don't know, I just really find that unappealing--what if I don't want to memorize how enemies work, or memorize which quest gives what? I don't know, but I usually prefer my games simple, and the only exception to this is in a strategy game, where complexities are actually encouraged.

@Chimto

I suppose you have a point. The main turn-off for me though is really how Total War doesn't look graphically appealing. I don't know, but graphics mean a lot to me--if a game doesn't look good, I'm probably not gonna play it. Total War fighting seems to be really uninteresting, and I don't see myself sitting through playing all of that.

@AerisDraco

Seems interesting. The turn-based hexes is a major turn-off, though, but the addition of armies does seem to balance it out. Obviously I don't mind the time-drain--five months of nothing to do and whatnot. I already asked around some of my Steam friends to see if they can get a copy, will probs get one soon, so thanks!!
User

by AerisDraco » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:43 pm

May I ask, are you impatient?

If so, you will likely *hate* movement penalties. (on different terrains)
Another question, will this "copy" be the base game, Gods & Kings, or Brave New World?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:05 pm

So, why do you prefer commitment to strategy games and not others? I'm not trying to fight or anything; just wondering.
BBB

by Juice Box » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:So, why do you prefer commitment to strategy games and not others? I'm not trying to fight or anything; just wondering.

I don't know, I guess it's just more alluring for me to play around with huge armies or tactics. Being part of the actual fighting doesn't interest me as much for some reason, even if the fighting involves real studying of an enemy's movements.

Like, you know that game Tera? It involved some pretty cool stuff about studying your opponent, too, especially when you play as this one specific class--you literally had to adapt to the way enemies attacked, know when to dodge or when to parry or block, and not knowing has dire consequences. But I got bored of even that. Compared to BFME, though, where seeing which was good against what and how this paired with this is good against that, it's somehow more engaging. I don't know why, but since you're an RTS gamer yourself, I'm assuming you can relate, or atleast understand somehow?
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:18 pm

Figuring out which units are useful against which other units and seeing how to counter strategies with your own tactics in an RTS is a lot like comparing which attacks are good against which enemies and which ways dodge are effective against which attacks in action games to me. That's why I find both games to be fun.

Somewhat recently I've noticed that I really like games where you can get epic, fluid moments of action. RTS games tend to be the best source of that since you see armies clash with each other and have extremely powerful units decimating each other. Late game RTS matches are definitely some of the largest-scales of combat that you can get. BFME 2's battalions of units just makes things seem even larger, and the heroes are all,so good that they all seem OP, making them balanced but still having that feeling of truly epic power. Other games struggle to replicate such feats.

However, they still can, and sometimes do. There's another kind of epic in mastering an enemy, avoiding everything it throws at you and dealing massive damage to it yourself. I like that some things pose a challenge to keep the game interesting, but what's even more fun is being able to turn that challenge for yourself into a challenge for the enemy. There's an addicting feeling of superiority when you, as a humanoid, climb up monsters that are actually genuinely huge and completely wreck them. You feel like such a hero, such a god. It's like I've turned into the OP, unstoppable Witch King or Gandalf, decimating everything in my way, but on a more personal level than in an RTS.
BBB

Next