StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

Talk about anything game related!

StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:20 pm

So, I got Starcraft 2 with the the Wings of Liberty content. I don't know anything about the game or the franchise other than it's an RTS. I wanted to get a game from the series so that I can understand how the most popular RTS series functions and possibly be inspired by it.

I played the tutorial missions and thought that it was a pretty cool game so far, though I learned very little about the specifics for each faction. I want straight to multiplayer and did 1 random training mission against the easy AI as Protoss to see what was happening, and it went horribly. I utterly destroyed the enemy AI, but the game kept telling me to make more and more drones and keep ordering them to do more and more. I ended up with about 50-60 drones in the end and just couldn't find anything for them to do. I was overwhelmed with all of the units that I had to command; it was nothing like BFME2 where I could keep track of everything and still have some breathing room.

It wasn't a very enjoyable experience knowing that I had all of these units and so many resources just sitting around and nothing to do with them. Well, I could keep ordering the units to go to new spots or keep producing troops, but I had lots of trouble accessing each drone to get a specific task done or knowing what units to train and what to do with them afterwards.

I want some sort of help because I'm not liking this so far, but I don't even know what kind of help I need.
BBB

Re: StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

by AerisDraco » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:35 am

Ask JB, she's the most experienced here.
I've never played, but I've seen some vids. First step is probably to find whatever race suits you the best. Based on the fact that you seem to dislike swarm micro, I would suggest Protoss or Terran, preferably Protoss, given their focus on powerful units.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:27 am

I was really good at swarm micro in BFME2, though. Mordor with Orcs and Easterlings was my best faction. Plus, I already tried to play as the Protoss, and the problem came from all of the drone units with nothing to do.
BBB

by Juice Box » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:50 am

AerisDraco wrote:Ask JB, she's the most experienced here.

Lol, I don't actually play SCII very much. But I admit it's fun.

BBB wrote: Plus, I already tried to play as the Protoss, and the problem came from all of the drone units with nothing to do.

That's actually something you'll experience with all factions. Usually the more workers you have, the stronger your economy overtime, which means a larger and sturdier army. Though you probably already know that. StarCraft is sort of notorious for being a difficult game, in that it's easy to pick up but really hard to master. That drone problem you experienced, you'll sort of grow out of it overtime. You'll sort of learn to click really fast, listen to the guy giving you info out of nowhere ("unit complete, your warriors have engaged the enemy," etc.), have a ton of unit-building stations and get pissed off when even a single one isn't producing a unit.

But yeah, the worker problem is sort of small, since after a while you learn to just keep giving them stuff to do. I agree that it's bad design, but meh, it's bearable. The real problem, though, is in micromanagement, since this game is heavy on timing, unit abilities, and especially reaction speed. You might sometimes find yourself losing to a huge army when yours is small just because your opponent can micromanage their economy faster than you (which happens all the time in multiplayer). Or you might even find yourself losing to a smaller army because they micromanaged their units' abilities better than you.

The game really does give you room to grow, though. Overtime you learn which units synergize together, like an easy Zealot-Adept-Stalker combo where you teleport away your Stalkers and Adepts once all your Zealots die, or an Immortal-Phoenix-Colossus combo to just plain wreck everything. You also learn about the smaller, more useful tactics, like placing your stealth-unit-producing building away from your main base and in one of your other, farther-away bases so your enemy really won't see it coming. Or abusing how units killed in one hit are considered as assassinated and don't alert enemy presence, so you can let your Protoss Dark Templar units teleport directly into an enemy base and assassinate all their workers without them noticing.

Overall, though, I'd suggest you go with either the Terran or the Protoss. Terran because their jack-of-all-trades nature and huge array of potent, high-synergy abilities lets them both plan ahead against an enemy as well as adapt to an unexpected situation quickly. Protoss because power. Like legit. So much power. Most of their abilities aren't as flexible as Terran's and they do really bad at the numbers game, but their units are easy to use and rely on winning direct trade-offs to wear an opponent down. Their early units are the best in the game and really let you easily carry until you can afford their more powerful, *ahem* Colossal units (im sorry i could not resist).

Anyways, a small tip you might be able to use: when you're still practicing and playing against AI, there's an option in the gameplay menu that lets you slow down the game by quite a lot. It's really helpful when you're just playing to have fun, since it gives you loads more control over the battlefield and time to react to threats accordingly. What I usually do is play the game at normal speed, and the moment I attack or go under attack, slow it down by half. Superfun at times.
User

by FastAndBlast » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:04 am

I used to play SC 1 :D
My favourite are Terran and Zerg
Terran was best early game because you can just make some marine and medics and go around destroying bases. As well as the most OP nuke that destroyed everything :)
Zerg are best with the amount of units you can swarm your opponents.
When I played SC i only made about 10 drones max - you don't need that much drones since I like don't like to waste resources on drones. I didn't know much combos although I just nuked people with the Terran :D

EDIT: Protoss were OP since they had a unit who could take control of any of your units ending with controlling your builders... And basically Protoss played all factions... Way too OP
I am the mighty Pixel Artist
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:34 am

I have all summer to master the gameplay at least. :P Honestly, I'd prefer having larger bases and more emphasis on each base rather than a bunch of smaller strewn about the map. At least having the opportunity to choose one or the other and make a playstyle around such would be better since it would make the game more versatile. Just like how JB likes to take care of her units and not let any die, I like to take care of my base and make it very strong and developed. :)
BBB

by Pencil » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:26 pm

Yes! New starcraft players on the forums! I used to be pretty addicted to sc2, got to Plat back in WoL.

I know you're not really asking for it, but i'm gonna give you a bit of a rundown of the basics for competitive play.

Macromanagement: This is the single most important thing to learn at the beginning. Having more shit than your opponent is a pretty much guaranteed win at early levels.

Mastering macro requires you to learn how timing works and how many production buildings can be kept financed by a single base (in wol, its abour four buildings per base). This means that a max drone base can keep up to 4 production building producing units at all times. In reality, the number is closer to 3 production buildings once you get to the 7 or 8 minute mark, since upgrades and more expensive units cut into your production.

Shortcuts are a must. In order to really manage everything at the same, you have to keep your shit on shortcuts, otherwise its just way too overwhelming. I used to use 4 for my nexii (or is it nexus?), 5 for my gateways and so on. 1,2 and 3 are reserved for army groupings or scouts. Also learn all the building specific ones (ex. E for pylon when in th build menu of a drone).

As a beginner protoss, you should learn the oh so infamous 4-gate build. Its pretty easy to learn and yields results fast in multuplayer. It can alo provide insights into how the game works by just playing over and over.

Im sure a person as mechanics oriented as you will get the hang of it fairly easily, but you can always hit me up on battlenet to play some singles or team up and go for doubles. My b-net tag is lanzealot I think? I'll update this post once i remember correctly.
Ironhide Developer

by AerisDraco » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:21 pm

With my new computer, I should really try SC.
Also, probe, not drone, Pencil. (I have to correct things)
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Ninja » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:30 pm

AerisDraco wrote:With my new computer, I should really try SC.
Also, probe, not drone, Pencil. (I have to correct things)

Oh, you got a new computer? What kind is it, if you don't mind me asking? :)
:hero:
User

by Pencil » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:59 pm

I knew i was getting it wrong! Forgive me, its been a full year of sci-fi game development, you start to get things confused
Ironhide Developer

by Juice Box » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:30 am

Pencil wrote:Mastering macro requires you to learn how timing works and how many production buildings can be kept financed by a single base (in wol, its abour four buildings per base). This means that a max drone base can keep up to 4 production building producing units at all times. In reality, the number is closer to 3 production buildings once you get to the 7 or 8 minute mark, since upgrades and more expensive units cut into your production.

I didn't even know this, I was always too busy just spamming bases and workers everywhere :b .

BBB, have you found a faction you're comfortable with yet? And do you have any favorite units/unit combinations? I'm eager to see your opinions :b .

Even though I primarily used Protoss, my personal favorites are still Siege Tank-Liberator for immense synergy and maximum ground annihilation, plus Hellbat-Vikings because TRANSFORMERS.

MORE THAN MEETS THE EEEEEYE.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Oh... um...

I actually haven't played SC at all since making this thread because the speakers on my computer are out and nobody in my house has gotten around to finding any new ones. :P When we get new ones, I'll play some more, but do you recommend me playing the campaign first or something else?
BBB

by Juice Box » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Definitely campaign first, it gives you loads of opportunities to experiment with your troops and teaches you how to handle situations you might sometimes see in multiplayer. It's basically a more fun, more complicated practice mode :b .
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Juice Box wrote:Definitely campaign first, it gives you loads of opportunities to experiment with your troops and teaches you how to handle situations you might sometimes see in multiplayer. It's basically a more fun, more complicated practice mode :b .

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind when I next the game. :)
BBB

by Pencil » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Oh, definitely go through the campaign, it's fun as hell and you'll get better at some of the basic mechanics like always trying to pump harvesters and stuff like that. It's also a good place to practice learning shortcuts, and other stuff without a time constraint, as multiplayer generally makes you move as fast as possible.

Just checked, my Starcraft Bnet tag is:
Lanzealot #506

For those who want to play just hit me up there or send me a PM, if I'm free we can have a go at a couple o matches. If we get to 4 people we can 2v2!
Ironhide Developer

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:19 pm

Could I watch the match but not participate in playing it?
BBB

by Pencil » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:31 pm

yeah, sure, there's spectator mode
Ironhide Developer

by Oof_Shunt » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:23 pm

I tried it recently! :P Kinda fun until the zerg destroyed the reactor :( :( :(

It's a lot to micro/macro manage...
User