Hero Concept: Ninja

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Hero Concept: Ninja

by Sebliend » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:04 pm

a
Last edited by Sebliend on Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
User

Re: Hero Concept: Ninja

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:32 pm

I'd prefer you to just give the numbers without writing approximately. If there are balance issues, is doesn't make them any less severe to say they're approximations, especially since you've already given exact numbers anyways. :)

Frontal Slash is a pretty boring skill. I get that it's meant to be a versatile effect so that Ninja can deal extra damage to pretty much every enemy he hits, but it just feels like a statistical passive to boost his damage, like Swordsmanship, but hidden underneath the effect of having a cooldown. Plus, it's pretty weak compared to other damage boosts, which tend to double hero damage or more. I suggest something more Ninja-themed, like teleporting behind an enemy in melee and backstabbing them, either as a counter to their attack, or as an active ability. It would look really cool and fit the Ninja theme very well, as well as give him an excuse to do more damage since he's getting a backstab on en enemy. :twisted:

Shadowclone is OP. If he can be resummoned instantly after dying, then he effectively is invincible and can indefinitely stall any enemy. Plus, his stun skill recharges too fast. A Shadowclone isn't the real deal, so it has an excuse to do riskier things than the true Ninja, so why not make it some way of dealing extra damage instead of stalling enemies. Have the clone dash (or teleport in a puff of smoke) from foe to foe, attacking it and stunning it, with a cooldown based on how many enemies are effected.

Bouncing Shuriken is well done for how you handling the way it strikes different enemies. However, you're right about it being OP (though you didn't need to ask; part of feedback is saying whether or not things are balanced) since most skills are pretty far from the DPS of 640 damage every 15 seconds, or 42.67 per second. Since the skill is so cool, I think just leaving the cooldown at 20 seconds for each upgrade and making it bounce 5/6/7 times for 40/50/60 damage each, it would be balanced by just dealing 21 DPS and be extremely versatile.

What is the cooldown of Hidden Blade? Also, does it have a unique animation and sound effect? Skills like these are better when they're flashy to make up for their simplistic nature. I find a skill like this to be good when a hero has lots of skills that can deal heavy damage to an enemy, so that this can be used to finish off an enemy. However, Ninja doesn't really have a way to get an enemy to this point. Bouncing Shuriken even in its current OP state won't get an Ogre Magi to 20%, meaning that he has to rely on other sources of damage to make enemies vulnerable to the attack. A higher damage attack with a slower cooldown would be more worthwhile since it would get more use.

I always liked that Hero Spells didn't move or effect the hero at all because it meant that players can use them regardless of where the hero is, what they're doing, or whether or not they're dead. If this skill is going to break the mould, it should be a really cool one to justify breaking the rules...

Oh, it's an AOE stun, just like Catha's skill. That's disappointing. :( If this guy can make Shadowclones, why isn't he summoning some huge shadow demon to cause bedlam and destroy enemies while Ninja sneaks around an slays enemies distracted by the beast? Do something super cool with this hero since he has the powers and theme to create lots of possibilities. Also, I don't like that the cooldown and other stats are changing with each upgrade. Skills usually change one or the other because they have to make sure that all of the changes can be described in less than 4 lines, since Ironhide didn't leave much space for skill descriptions and doesn't make to overcomplicate a game that doesn't need so much complexity.

You describe him making combos with his abilities. That's such an awesome concept, but he really only combos Blink and Frontal Slash together, which are both skills that need a lot of changes to be good anyways. When you try to improve his skills, keep the idea of combos in mind, preferably something like stacking tons of damage on enemies to prepare them for Hidden Blade's finishing blow. :twisted:
BBB

Re: Hero Concept: Ninja

by Sebliend » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:38 pm

a
User