Current State of the World

Anything and everything.

Current State of the World

by Manijure » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:49 pm

2016 so far has been a snowball rolling down the dark side for the world. And I'm not just talking about America. I have not remembered a year so divisive, so chaotic, so bloody, and so uncertain as this year. When you hear on the news that a truck driver rammed and killed over 80 people in a French town celebrating Bastille Day and the Turkey military taking over the government in two back to back days (today and yesterday), you know something is not right. I am usually a very optimistic person, like VERY, but I am also realistic, and I worry about the future of the world.
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

Re: Current State of the World

by The Kingmaker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:08 pm

I am the same to be honest.

Like, in my personal brain, 2016 has been the best year for me, I've lost a bunch of weight and I'm the most confident I've been in myself since when I realised that was a thing

But in current events, from the terrorist tragedies, loss of amazing people and general frustration politically, I'm genuinely starting to feel that in the hero of a shitty fantasy series and it'll end with me deciding to be unhappy with myself so that the world can remain balanced.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Manijure » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:13 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:I am the same to be honest.

Like, in my personal brain, 2016 has been the best year for me, I've lost a bunch of weight and I'm the most confident I've been in myself since when I realised that was a thing

But in current events, from the terrorist tragedies, loss of amazing people and general frustration politically, I'm genuinely starting to feel that in the hero of a shitty fantasy series and it'll end with me deciding to be unhappy with myself so that the world can remain balanced.

It's times like this that I look to my personal achievements and happiness for solace. I have a good internship, I have good friends, I'm having a blast playing Pokemon GO, I'm excited for Iron Marines and KR4... you get the idea. But still, it's hard to ignore what's happening in the world, and I shouldn't. Issues like the black community/police conflict in the U.S. and the Brexit decision have been stuck in my head for a while, because I contemplate not just the short-term consequences of those issues, but the long-term ones as well.
User

by SealDarklight » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:19 pm

Hard to say, world is corrupt and People are complete idiots. I mean it does show evidence that world might go grazy but it allways goes in that way. Sometimes the Corrupt state might be a good thing not only for the best but for the history. For example without Hitler the Germany would be weak and the People would still hate and kill other people and concider it illegal and since Hitler and Nazi Germany showed how many Jews were sentence to death the Human Rights was created for not only Jews but for other People as well. I know world is pretty much going insane i dont like to be a human anymore and i dont want to live but ill live till the death. People are to me Blinded and Corrupt and Im included because we might never notice something we have done.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:30 pm

The same reason why I don't worry every day about whether or not my existence has a purpose or if my life will end seconds when a meteorite strikes the earth applies to current world events. When I can't have an influence in them or use them to make a difference, I just try not to focus on it. Again and again that kind of stuff pops into my mind, but I try to remember that there's nothing that I can do, so I don't stress myself needlessly.

It's hard to balance between caring and stressing about something; I try to balance that with school all the time and it just keeps making me more angry because I hate school so much. I tend to focus on the negative aspects of life more, but not because I want to hate my life. Instead, it's because focusing on the problems leads to finding their solutions. Sometimes this way of thinking leads to me being pessimistic about things that can't be changed yet or ever, just out of habitually looking for problems so that I can solve them.

I can't speak for anyone else on this, but if I'm feeling overwhelmed by problems and issues in the world, I don't try to ignore them by playing video games or hanging out with friends. I find other problems and solve them, or at least find someone to talk to about problems. I end up finding out new things that I wouldn't have come up with myself, or at least learning a new perspective. Is there a specific issue with the world that you want to delve into right now and hopefully feel better about it?
BBB

by magicmetal03 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:17 am

Being a person who is constantly paranoid about tiny, little things, big problems scare me.
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by shadownight » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:24 am

on my personal opinion I am frustrated and disappointed on some of the human beings *no offense guys*
like china taking our islands and claim that it is theirs is so irritating to us Filipino do you agree juicbox
Last edited by shadownight on Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User

by Juice Box » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:46 am

shadownight wrote:on my personal opinion I am frustrated and disappointed on human beings *no offense guys*
like china taking our islands and claim that it is theirs is so irritating to us Filipino do you agree juicbox

Human beings aren't to blame at all--yeah, it's true that some human beings naturally suck (like the Chinese) but you can't say that about everyone.
User

by Manijure » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:05 am

Juice Box wrote:
shadownight wrote:on my personal opinion I am frustrated and disappointed on human beings *no offense guys*

Human beings aren't to blame at all--yeah, it's true that some human beings naturally suck (like the Chinese) but you can't say that about everyone.

As a Chinese American, HOW DARE YOU DEFILE- Nah, just kidding, I kind of agree with you there. Chinese people living in the mainland are generally snobbish and corrupt. There is still barely any freedom of speech without risk of imprisonment or disappearance. And I'm kind of mad they're using the South China Sea to build artificial islands. No respect or regard to the sea's ecosystem whatsoever. :/
User

by magicmetal03 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:31 am

Manijure wrote:
Juice Box wrote:

As a Chinese American, HOW DARE YOU DEFILE- Nah, just kidding, I kind of agree with you there. Chinese people living in the mainland are generally snobbish and corrupt. There is still barely any freedom of speech without risk of imprisonment or disappearance. And I'm kind of mad they're using the South China Sea to build artificial islands. No respect or regard to the sea's ecosystem whatsoever. :/

Also being a Chinese American, I 100% agree. They also have poison foods and other daily supplies there! Yay!
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by shadownight » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:10 am

magicmetal03 wrote:
Manijure wrote:
Juice Box wrote:Human beings aren't to blame at all--yeah, it's true that some human beings naturally suck (like the Chinese) but you can't say that about everyone.

Also being a Chinese American, I 100% agree. They also have poison foods and other daily supplies there! Yay!

wow really

User

by magicmetal03 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:31 am

Yes.
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by shadownight » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:43 am

magicmetal03 wrote:Yes.

Lets stop badmouthing china anymore where already off topic

User

by Juice Box » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:52 am

CHINA SUCKS.

BADMOUTH BADMOUTH LALALA
User

by Manijure » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:04 am

Juice Box wrote:CHINA SUCKS.

BADMOUTH BADMOUTH LALALA

Now you're tilting me. Don't be surprised if China makes you disappear. ;)

On topic, I have not lost faith in humanity. Not yet. Terrorists and some politicians show the dark side of humanity, but we have shown to be resilient and not let them define the nature of humanity. I am uncertain of what our world will become, and am genuinely scared, but I know we are not guaranteed to fall so long as we do what we can and keep hoping.
User

by Juice Box » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:39 am

Now you're tilting me. Don't be surprised if China makes you disappear. ;)

Haha. Hahaha. Ha.

Let them come.
User

by FastAndBlast » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:42 am

She is a goddess remember? ;)
I am the mighty Pixel Artist
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

by The_TaTs » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:47 am

Today, someone in my intimate circle of friends (those I call brothers), announced he is going to have a daughter. He just turned 30. He was always a moody, sort of loner kinda guy, with only me and a few others as his true friends.
Today, his wife and him were holding hands, similing in a way that pretty much put a tear in my eye. I was witnessing true happiness happening right in front of me.

Also today, I was finally asked to add a few lines of narrative for one of the games in Ironhide. This is what I love to do the most, writing, and I don't get to do much of it as it is... but today, after 20 months working on this awesome studio I got to do what I love the most.

Also today, I listened a beautiful song that I had completely forgotten about (Paes e Filhos from Legiao Urbana, a Brazilian band). It was like reuniting with an old friend. And at the street, I helped a very confused tourist find his way back to his hotel (germans are hillarious when their plans fall apart).

Today I helped the woman I'm dating to cope with the fact that her grandfather might not have much time to live (the poor man is in the hospital).

Today, my friends made me laugh. I made my friends laugh. I cooked dinner for my mom (for a change).
Today was a good day.

What does any of this has to do with all the terrible stuff that happens everyday in the world? Nothing. Everything.

I just try to be a good friend, a good neighbor, a good coworker, a good partner, a good son. I try not to give in to hate, despair or misinformation but instead, I try to learn about those that are different, I keep my sense of wonder very much alive, I watch the news but constantly remind myself that the truth is a complex polifacetic thing.
It's not about just staying positive, and hoping for the better. It's about taking positive actions for those around you, and being a better version of yourself as much as you can.

There is a well known story that might present the case better than my previous words:
(...) Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

Adapted from The "Star Thrower", by Loren Eiseley.
User

by shadownight » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:57 am

poetry by TaTs

User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:01 am

The_TaTs wrote:I just try to be a good friend, a good neighbor, a good coworker, a good partner, a good son. I try not to give in to hate, despair or misinformation but instead, I try to learn about those that are different, I keep my sense of wonder very much alive, I watch the news but constantly remind myself that the truth is a complex polifacetic thing.
It's not about just staying positive, and hoping for the better. It's about taking positive actions for those around you, and being a better version of yourself as much as you can.

What would you do if faced with an issue that you know could be impacted by your actions if you put effort into it?
BBB

Next