Hero Concept: Tristana

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Hero Concept: Tristana

by Manijure » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:46 pm

I have no idea why I did not do this sooner, but it's high time I finally get it started. What if Tristana was a Hero?

For those who do not who she is or what she looks like, Tristana is a champion in League of Legends, and one of the very first. She is a member of the Yordle race, which I consider to be the equivalent of Hobbits in the LOL universe, and lives in Bandle City, the home area for Yordles. This is her actual splash art:

Now on to her stats and abilities!

- 360 health
- No armor
- Ranged attacker
- 11-19 melee damage
- 27-40 ranged damage
- Medium attack speed
- Medium movement speed (close to Alric's speed)
- Every ten seconds, if you click/tap on an enemy in the map that is a specific range from her, Tristana will use her cannon to rocket in an arc towards the target. Upon landing, any nearby enemies take 60 physical damage and is slowed by 30% for three seconds. If the spot you click/tap is too far away from Tristana, she will walk there instead. Steam will float out of the barrel of her cannon to indicate when her passive is ready, and she can adjust her position before rocket jumping.

Abilities

Explosive Charge: Tristana throws a bomb that sticks to an enemy for five seconds before exploding. Upon explosion, it deals 60/70/80 physical damage in a large AOE. Any of Tristana's offensive abilities, autoattacks, or rocket jumps on the enemy while the bomb is still up applies a stack that will increases the damage by 20/40/60, up to four stacks. If the bomb reaches four stacks or if the enemy dies before five seconds is up, it will automatically explode. Cooldown: 18 seconds.

Death Shrapnel: Any enemies killed by Tristana release shrapnel from her cannon shots to all nearby enemies, dealing 20/40/60 True damage.

Buster Shot: Tristana fires a massive cannonball that deals 50/70/90 physical damage and pushes an enemy backward a short/far/VERY far distance. Does not knock back minibosses/bosses, but deals triple damage. Cooldown: 25 seconds

Rapid Fire: Tristana periodically powers up her cannon, increasing her attack speed by 40%/70%/100% for three seconds. Cooldown: 15 seconds

Hero Spell: It's Raining Explosives: Upon selecting an area, Tristana's Megling Commandos (a military squad of Yordles) fires a set of 8/14/20 large cannonballs into that area in a random location, each dealing 60/80/100 physical damage. The cannonballs are not fired simultaneously; cannonballs are launched separately in pairs, with a quarter-second delay between shots. A cannonball is about three times the size of Eridan's arrows in Arrow Volley. Any enemies killed by a cannonball applies Death Shrapnel, but double the damage. Cooldown: 50 seconds

Critique away!
Last edited by Manijure on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

Re: Hero Concept: Tristana

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:18 pm

So, this is your version of User Hero, eh? ;)

I think her innate rocket-launching skill should be programmed and activated differently. Every 10 seconds, she has a quick animation of loading her rocket with a noise to accompany it. From that point onwards, she carries her rocket-loaded cannon and will use it the next time she attacks. Players will notice when she has the skill ready and move her accordingly. It won't let the player choose a specific spot, but moving Tristana until she's at the range where the desired target is the area where her AOE attack would deal the most damage is a preferable method to being unable to move her until she fires her rocket.

Her stats are the kind of stats that means she's going to have really strong abilities, so I'm excited already. :mrgreen:

Explosive Charge is the type of skill that I've wanted for awhile, where an enemy's taken damage can be increased with the player's strategic and tactical intervention. :D I assume that the bomb will also automatically explode if the enemy dies early. I also assume that it has a pretty big AOE to make up for its really low DPS.

Death Shrapnel is essentially Bonehart's passive with a more specific activation requisite. You should increase the damage to 20/35/50 True Damage so it makes a more significant impact.

Buster Shot has a great name for what it does. ;) As a bonus to the skill, you should make it deal 45/90/135 extra damage to enemies that can't be moved, so it has uses against them as well, but is still better when pushing enemies than as a DPS skill.

Rapid Fire seems like it will be fun to use. I like how the cooldown isn't so short as to become almost a passive and not too long as too become a skill that needs be be reserved for special moments. It can just get activated and let the player watch some destruction, especially in conjunction with Explosive Charge.

Her HS is pretty UP. I believe that Heavenly Chaos (the HS of one of the most UP heroes) deals double the damage and has a very similar cooldown, but is 10 seconds faster! It needs a buff, preferably giving it more damage but also more AOE to make it stand out from Lilith's power. ;)

Not having any knowledge of " :lol: " ( ;) ), I can't state how well she replicates Tristana's role in that game, here. Does Tristana her cannon and cause massive AOE explosions all over the battlefield, destroying armies, or does she use her cannon to mess with enemies and buff herself, acting as more of a support? This hero seems like the latter, whereas I expected the former, but have nomreason to expect it other than that I'd personally find it to be far more awesome. :P
BBB

by Manijure » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Not having any knowledge of " :lol: " ( ;) ), I can't state how well she replicates Tristana's role in that game, here. Does Tristana her cannon and cause massive AOE explosions all over the battlefield, destroying armies, or does she use her cannon to mess with enemies and buff herself, acting as more of a support? This hero seems like the latter, whereas I expected the former, but have nomreason to expect it other than that I'd personally find it to be far more awesome. :P

Tristana is the former; in LOL, she is referred to as an ADC (attack damage carry). Expect her to fearlessly be on the front lines blasting enemies away and defending to the very end. It's her fearlessness and undying optimism that makes her one of my favorite characters of all time. :)

Looking back to my old description of her abilities, I do agree that some of them are UP. Most of her abilities are taken straight from her abilities in LOL, aside from her Hero Spell. And snce Kingdom Rush is much different with stat numbers from LOL, I nerfed her ability damage, but I can see it doesn't help her stand out. Also, I completely forgot how much damage Lilith's Hero Spell did, and that does make Tristana look pretty weak regarding her own.

As such, I tweaked some of the stats to make her stronger than before. And yeah, your Rocket Jump suggestion seems more appropriate. I changed that as well. Thanks for the good advice. :)
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by FastAndBlast » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:49 am

The HS still seems a bit UP since it takes 10 seconds to finish at last level and does about the same damage as Lilith's hero spell and also seems a bit boring . My suggestion is that her hero spell would be to shoot one massive rocket that deals more damage the more enemies are in the area :)

My favorite hero in LOL was and still is KINDRED
cause Kindred
Kindred
Kindred
I am the mighty Pixel Artist
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

by Filipuntik » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Or, you know, you could have Rumble drop down in his mech as a hero Spell and wreak havoc. How is this related? Well his mech is called Tristy for starters... :P

I'm trying to think of other Hero Spells that she could have... and I can't. The only one I can think of is a massive self-buff on range and attack speed/damage. Or give her an absolutely new ability :v)
"Ian, would you like to go to a party in my pants?"
User

by tmn loveblue » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:33 am

Tris is pretty good ;) She has decent ranged damage and strong abilities, though Death Shrapnel won't trigger that easily since towers are very strong and can steal kills from Tristana. Perhaps it should be changed so that each enemy attacked within the last 1.5 second by Tris will trigger Shrapnel, instead of having to be killed by Tris directly.

Explosive Charge alone is enough to make Tris a exceptional ranged hero ;) Once she gets 4 stacks, it will instantly vaporize almost everyone in the AoE, which is actually very awesome to watch. And the cool-down balances in out, making it not game-breaking.

Buster Shot should have a mechanism that targets the strongest foe. Or else it could easily be wasted on weak ones. The skill would make Twilight Golems cry :lol:

Her passive is not very useful giving that she is so fragile. You won't want her to land on a bunch of foes, she can be killed within seconds. Perhaps the skill should stun for a second so she can walk out safely.

Raining Explosives is pretty good. It deals great AoE damage and can kill most foes within seconds, but struggles against armor unless Death Shrapnel is triggered. This creates the strategy of surrounding a strong foe by weak ones, then land her HS, which will kill all the weak foes and deal heavy True Damage on top of even heavier Physical Damage to the main target.

Tris should not activate Buster Shot against enemies within Raining Explosives, or else it would be very annoying.

Overall, Tris is very well made and definitely resembles herself in LoL :D She is a powerful ranged hero with powerful skills but fragile HP to make up for it. She can definitely wreck people in KRO ;)
User

by Filipuntik » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:35 am

Turns out she'd be a pain to implement though. Not programming-wise, but rather visual-wise. The KRO art style gives everyone the proportions of a Yordle, which means that Tristana would have to look even more ridiculous compared to elves :lol: Trust me I've been trying to draw her for an hour now and still can't find the correct size for her to look small next to Eridan while keeping some details (so you could still say it's her).
"Ian, would you like to go to a party in my pants?"
User