by Goliath4 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:31 pm

Kingdom Rush Empires

Order of Contents:
Story
Setting
Towers
New Concepts

Story:
Kingdom Rush Empires takes place just after Kingdom Rush Frontiers. The aliens have taken the corrupted red jewel back to their mothership which is located in a Eastern-Japan-like land.
You are the finest general in the Mamoru Empire. You are tasked by the Emperor to go defend some coastal towns which have reported being attacked by pirates. After many battles fighting these pirates and a variety of sea monsters you finally defeat the sea goddess herself: Calypso. Upon returning to your empire however, you discover that it is under invasion by another clan. You must gain back your homeland and defend the emperor himself against the enemy general (who does not look well, his head is bulging and he is covered in slime). When you kill the enemy general his last words are "I came for help...They're in the mountains" before he explodes into goo. Upon further investigation you discover that an alien spaceship has crashed in the mountains. The aliens are spawning an army as well as kidnapping people and creatures for experimentation. Worst of all they are using the jewel to power their broken transmitter to call in more aliens. Realizing that you are the only hope to prevent this invasion to save the empire as well as the world you travel into the mountains to fight the aliens and destroy the mothership!

Setting:
As per tradition Kingdom Rush Empires has three main settings. The first is along the coast. The first few levels will be similar to the Buccaneers Den level in Kingdom Rush Frontiers. The pirates will be coming from ships onto the track. It will also take place in many costal towns/cities. The second setting is in the Mamoru Empire. The levels will depict villages, forests, and structures all with an Asian theme. The final level in this setting will be the Emperors castle. The third and final setting will be up in the mountains. Unlike the mountain setting in the first Kingdom rush however, this setting will show evidence of the alien invasion (slime everywhere, incubation sacks, destroyed villages, etc).

Towers:

Barracks

Samurai 230g

Health: 250
Attack: 18-22
Armor: Medium
Respawn time: 14s
Samurai naturally have a 35% chance to do a leaping strike which does double damage

Abilities:
Warhorse
Tier 1 250g: Samurai ride a horse with 100 health (for the leaping strike the horse just rears up while the samurai attacks, also, while mounted Samurai move 100% faster when changing rallying points)
Tier 2 150g: Increases horse’s health to 125 and horse now has low armor
Tier 3 150g: Increases horse’s health to 150 and horse now has medium armor

Reinforced Steel 300g
Tier 1: Increase Samurai melee damage by 10 and they now deal true damage

Archer training 200g for each upgrade
Tier 1: Samurai gain a ranged bow attack of 10-15 damage (similar to the elven barracks, does not stack with reinforced steel to deal true damage)
Tier 2: increase damage to 15-20
Tier 3: increase damage to 20-25

Additional Info:
When you get the warhorse ability the samurai works similarly to that of the orc-warg riders in Kingdom rush. Once the horse is killed the Samurai dismounts and continues fighting on foot. Therefore by fully upgrading the warhorse ability you are effectively adding 150 health to the samurai. If the warhorse dies but not the samurai then the warhorse will respawn after 14s however it cannot respawn if its owner is in combat.

Ninjas 230g

Health: 150
Attack: 25-35
Armor: Low
Respawn time: 12s
naturally have 25% chance to do AoE attacks (similar to the barbarian whirlwind attack)

Abilities:
Into the Shadows 100g for each upgrade
Tier 1: ninjas go into stealth when out of combat
Tier 2: ninjas remain in stealth even in combat (can still be hit by melee attacks but cannot be targeted by ranged enemies)

Master Assassins 300g each upgrade
Tier 1:each ninja has a 5% chance to instakill the enemy they’re fighting
Tier 2: increase instakill chance to 10%
Tier 3: increase instakill chance to 15%

Smoke Bomb 250g each upgrade
Tier 1: A ninja will drop a smoke bomb on the ground (allies in the smoke evade all enemy attacks) smoke lasts for 3s with a 16s cooldown
Tier 2: increase smoke bomb duration to 5s
Tier 3: increase smoke bomb duration to 7s

Mages

Dark Sorcerer 350g

Damage: 35-75
Range: Great
Fire Rate: Slow

Abilities
Drain soul 200g each upgrade
Tier 1: all enemies that walk into the Dark Sorcerer range passively take 10 damage per second
Tier 2: increase damage to 20
Tier 3: increase damage to 30

Summoning circle
Tier 1 300g: summon 2 demon spawn (taken straight from the original kingdom rush) with 150hp and a 15s respawn time
Tier 2 300g: summon a demon hound with 250hp and a 15s respawn time
Tier 3 400g: summon a demon lord with 750hp and a 18s respawn time

The Devout 350g (will always target the enemy with the most hp)

Damage: 200-400
Range: Extreme
Fire Rate: Very, very, slow (4s reload speed)

Abilities
Abolish Evil 200g each upgrade
Tier 1: place a circle on the ground that lasts for 5s. All enemies that pass through it are slowed by 40% for 5s. 20s cool down
Tier 2: enemies affected will be silenced for 5s
Tier 3: enemies affected take 25% more damage from all sources for 5s

Pure Magic 150g each upgrade
Tier 1: each attack will do an additional 20 true damage over 4s
Tier 2: increase damage to 40
Tier 3: increase damage to 60

Artillery

Hailstorm battery (rapidly fires fireworks) 375g

Damage: 35-60
Fire Rate: Fast

Abilities
Dragon Fire
Tier 1 350g: Two small figures who look suspiciously like Merry and Pippin load up a big dragon firework which explodes into a dragon that swoops down onto the track dealing 150 AoE damage and burning the ground for 40dmg over 3s. 15s cooldown
Tier 2 150g: increase impact damage to 170 and burn to 50dmg over 3s
Tier 3 150g: increase impact damage to 190 and burn to 60dmg over 3s

Flare
Tier 1 200g: shoot a flare that stuns all enemies in a small area for 2s with a 15s cool down
Tier 2 100g: increase area and stun to 3s
Tier 3 100g: increase area and stun to 4s

Ballista

Damage: 100-135
Range (new concept): The Ballista can fire at enemies extremely far away but cannot target enemies that are close to the tower
Fire Rate: Slow

Abilities
Shrapnel shot
Tier 1 300g: launches a specialized bolt that explodes for 200 damage. 18s cool down
Tier 2 200g: reduces cool down to 16s
Tier 3 200g: reduces cool down to 14s

Kamikaze warriors 250g per upgrade
- Tier 1: launches a warrior that impacts the track for 70 damage and then stays and fights for 7s. 10-15dmg, 200hp, low armor. 18s cool down
- Tier 2: launches 2 warriors
- Tier 3: launches 3 warriors

Archers

Chu-Ko-Nu 230g (a special kind of crossbow that uses a clip of bolts that can be fired rapidly rather than one at a time)

Damage: 15-30
Range: Medium
Fire Rate: fires in volleys (fires 4 bolts very quickly and then takes 1.5s to reload)

Abilities
Fire bolts 150g each upgrade
Tier 1: every 15s the crossbowmen will shoot fire bolts for one volley that each deal 15 additional damage over time
Tier 2: shoots fire bolts for 2 volleys and increase damage to 25
Tier 3: shoots fire bolts for 3 volleys and increase damage to 35

Large clips 150g
- Tier 1: Chu-Ko-Nu now shoot 5 bolts each volley
- Tier 2: increase volley size to 6
- Tier 3: increase volley size to 7

Pirate Captains: 230g

Damage: 30-40
Fire Rate: Medium

Abilities
Treasure hunt 200g per upgrade
- tier 1: a chest appears periodically on the track. Tap/click it before an enemy unit touches it to collect 300g
- tier 2: increase reward to 400g
- tier 3: increase reward to 500g

Grappling hook 150g per upgrade
- tier 1: launch a grappling hook at the highest health enemy dealing 50dmg and rooting the enemy in place for 2s. 15s cool down
- tier 2: increase root to 3s and dmg to 75
- tier 3: increase root to 4s and dmg to 100

New Concepts

Multiple Heroes

When I've been playing the last few Kingdom Rush games I've noticed that in the beginning of the game I'm really motivated to always get three stars and complete the iron and heroic challenges on a level so that I can get all the stars so that I can purchase the upgrades as fast as possible. But when all the upgrades are maxed out and i start building up extra stars my motivation drops. In Kingdom Rush Empires you can use 15 stars to purchase an extra hero slot allowing you to choose two heroes to bring into the battle (max of 3 heroes slots). This allows awesome hero combinations as well as gives an extra use for stars.

Towers from other Kingdom Rush Games

I think I speak for all of us when I say that it would be so cool to combine towers from the other games. For some of the later levels you could start with a level 1 barracks tower from the Kingdom Rush game that you can upgrade to Paladins or barbarians or maybe a level 1 Mage tower from the Kingdom Rush Frontiers that can be upgraded into a necromancer or archmage tower, etc. This also ties into the story that the whole world is coming together to fight off the aliens.

Enemy Champions

What if the enemy also had heroes? Not bosses or big units but a unique powerful enemy. Remember that one Kingdom rush Frontiers level when a giant savage warrior came out of a hut with a princess and if you didn’t kill him he would throw the princess in the volcano causing it to erupt onto your soldiers? Enemy champions will have a similar concept. During some of the levels a special enemy unit who has a bunch of different abilities comes out in a special area and starts taunting you. If you ignore him for a certain amount of time then the champion will: gain a health bonus, come onto the track, and will target your barracks and heroes until he dies. Or, to prevent this, what you could do is send your hero (or one of your heroes) to go fight this champion in a duel.

Hero vs Champion Duel
The duel starts when you send your hero to the special place where the champion is. Once your hero enters the area he cannot leave until the duel is resolved. The two characters will fight to the death. If the enemy champion kills your hero then he will: gain a health bonus, come onto the track, target your barracks and heroes until he dies AND give a buff to all enemies increasing their speed and attack damage. Likewise, If your hero wins, then all your ranged towers get bonus attack speed and damage and your barracks towers get increased armour and damage. Of course you will have to have some influence on the outcome of this duel. The champions will have abilities that work similarly to how Vez’nan could trap your towers in the final kingdom rush campaign level. The enemy champion will start channelling an ability and if you don’t tap/click something fast enough then something bad will happen to your hero.

What you guys think of my idea? If you have any suggestions I’d love to hear them. Also, let me know if you want me to post more information on Kingdom Rush Empires such as: Heroes, Enemies, and Upgrades!
User

Re: New Game Idea: Kingdom Rush Empires

by AerisDraco » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:23 am

Ah, you remind me of me when I first came here. :)

Also, welcome to the forums!

Anyway, I'll mostly just be reviewing the towers:

Barracks:

Samurai:
-Warhorse is good, though the fact that the Samurai would have better stats then the Templars might mean the Warhorse should cost more. Maybe 250 for the second two upgrades?
-Reinforced Steel is OP. The damage of the Samurai is already strong (unless they attack less often then the Templars) and adding true damage makes it OP. Perhaps remove the true damage bit and reduce the price to 200g.
-Archer Training is good, if not historically accurate. ;)

Ninjas:
-Maybe increase the price of Into the Shadows. Perhaps by 50g apiece?
-There should be further limitations on Master Assassins, or reduce the instakill chance to something like 2%/4%/6%.
-The Smoke Bomb is also fairly strong. Perhaps a 50% dodge chance instead of total invulnerability. In fact, come to think of it, it is especially OP if the cooldown is per Ninja.

Mages:

Dark Sorcerer:
-Soul Drain is ridiculously OP. Maybe nerf it to only affect 1 enemy at a time.
-Do the effects of Summoning Circle stack? i.e, on level 3, does it summon the 2 spawn, hound, and lord?

The Devout:
-Cool concept. Nerf the damage. Maybe to 80-180. Wide variance, but still strong enough to cause decent dents in the enemy.
-Abolish Evil seems good.
-Pure Magic's price should be increased by about 100g.

Artillery:

Hailstorm Battery:
-I say the firing cycle could be more interesting, if the Hwach'a is what you're trying to emulate. Perhaps it fires like 10 rockets that each deal a portion of the AoE damage?
-Dragon Fire and Flare are balanced.

Ballista:
-I assume it costs 400g.
-Reduce the HP of the Kamikaze Warriors.

Archers:

Chu-Ko-Nu:
-I smell a Civ V theme.
-Fire Bolts is fairly strong. 3 volleys is, at my estimate, about half the tower's firing cycle between the cooldown of the ability. Coupled with Big Clips, it makes it very strong. Perhaps take out the multiple volley fire and just give it a bit more damage?

Pirate Captains:
-What are their weapons? Guns?
-How often does the Treasure Chest appear? It would have to be fairly long to balance out the fact that it is fairly cheap, given the reward.
-Grappling Hook looks good, though it should target the highest-HP enemy in range.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Goliath4 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:04 am

AerisDraco wrote:Ah, you remind me of me when I first came here. :)

Also, welcome to the forums!

Anyway, I'll mostly just be reviewing the towers:

Barracks:

Samurai:
-Warhorse is good, though the fact that the Samurai would have better stats then the Templars might mean the Warhorse should cost more. Maybe 250 for the second two upgrades?
-Reinforced Steel is OP. The damage of the Samurai is already strong (unless they attack less often then the Templars) and adding true damage makes it OP. Perhaps remove the true damage bit and reduce the price to 200g.
-Archer Training is good, if not historically accurate. ;)

Ninjas:
-Maybe increase the price of Into the Shadows. Perhaps by 50g apiece?
-There should be further limitations on Master Assassins, or reduce the instakill chance to something like 2%/4%/6%.
-The Smoke Bomb is also fairly strong. Perhaps a 50% dodge chance instead of total invulnerability. In fact, come to think of it, it is especially OP if the cooldown is per Ninja.

Mages:

Dark Sorcerer:
-Soul Drain is ridiculously OP. Maybe nerf it to only affect 1 enemy at a time.
-Do the effects of Summoning Circle stack? i.e, on level 3, does it summon the 2 spawn, hound, and lord?

The Devout:
-Cool concept. Nerf the damage. Maybe to 80-180. Wide variance, but still strong enough to cause decent dents in the enemy.
-Abolish Evil seems good.
-Pure Magic's price should be increased by about 100g.

Artillery:

Hailstorm Battery:
-I say the firing cycle could be more interesting, if the Hwach'a is what you're trying to emulate. Perhaps it fires like 10 rockets that each deal a portion of the AoE damage?
-Dragon Fire and Flare are balanced.

Ballista:
-I assume it costs 400g.
-Reduce the HP of the Kamikaze Warriors.

Archers:

Chu-Ko-Nu:
-I smell a Civ V theme.
-Fire Bolts is fairly strong. 3 volleys is, at my estimate, about half the tower's firing cycle between the cooldown of the ability. Coupled with Big Clips, it makes it very strong. Perhaps take out the multiple volley fire and just give it a bit more damage?

Pirate Captains:
-What are their weapons? Guns?
-How often does the Treasure Chest appear? It would have to be fairly long to balance out the fact that it is fairly cheap, given the reward.
-Grappling Hook looks good, though it should target the highest-HP enemy in range.

Thanks for your feedback AerisDraco!

Looking back I do realize that a lot of the abilities are OP and I agree with the all the changes that you suggested except for a couple things:

Samurai:
Reinforced Steel: I agree that it's damage is OP if you compare it to the knights templar. I was comparing it to the Ancient Oak Spears upgrade for the Forest Keepers that make them deal 90 true damage after one upgrade. For the samurai I would rather just take out the additional 10 damage from the upgrade instead of taking out the true damage

Ninjas:
Master assassins: When coming up with this idea I was comparing it to Crimson Sentence ability for the Golden Longbows from Kingdom Rush Origins. I’m not sure what the exact percentage the Golden Longbows have to instakill the target by I would guess it would be around 2%/4%/6% if not higher. I feel that if a barracks tower had this ability it should have a higher chance because in order for it to be effective then the soldier would 1: have to be fighting a high health enemy and 2: live long enough to use the ability (since most of the big enemies also have high attacks). But I’ll meet you halfway change the ability to 6%/8%/10%

Dark Sorcerer:
The effects of Summoning circle do stack. I understand that it sounds ridiculously OP for a mage tower to have an ability that effectively makes them a barracks tower as well (cough cough necromancer) but considering that its the most expensive upgrade in any of the games i think its justified. It could be balanced by reducing the demons health or increasing the cost even more.

Ballista:
You’re right I just forgot to put that its 400g

Pirate Captains:
Their weapons are guns similar to the pirate watchtower in KRF
I was thinking that the cool down of treasure hunt would be something like 40-50s. I think that the massive gold profit is balanced by the fact that there’s chance that it could go to waste if a enemy unit gets there first.

Let me know what you think! (by the way you are correct that a couple of the towers are inspired by Civ V :))
User

by AerisDraco » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:18 pm

Goliath4 wrote:(by the way you are correct that a couple of the towers are inspired by Civ V :))

EYYYYYYY
Another Civ player!
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic