mini-campaign: the cocooned secret

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

mini-campaign: the cocooned secret

by Magnus0 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:22 am

level one
Level Name: Roughwood hillocks

Intro: It has been two days since the mysterious flying cocoon has last been sighted in the Skye. It seems as though it has landed somewhere in the mountains. We sent a small group of scouts to investigate the area where the cocoon might have landed.

Some old myths say that the flying cocoon appears in the skye once every 1000 years. The myths also speak from a race called Vurrbll, insect-like creatures that use inaudible soundwaves to communicate over extreme distances. The cocoon is their home and they come to earth to find edible matter. These are just myths, but even if they aren't true, the cocoon is mysterious and possibly dangerous, so we need to get to the bottom of this. We hope that our scouts return quickly with their report, to confirm whether or not the fairytales about the Vurrbll are true or not.

Biome: A high altitude mountain with few high spruce trees. There's a harsh wind and small patches of snow on the ground and the trees. The ground is mostly covered in moss, with few red mushroom scattered around. It's basically a rough, high-altitude version of the Fae Forest.

Level Description:
The red dots are campfires (see level feature). The right most has gnolls sitting around it, fishing in the lake and searing marshmallows, and the other one is completely deserted. The yellow dots are work the same as the gems in the other fae levels. The yellow arrow shows a shortcut for flying enemies. The green arrows are pinetrees.

Recurring Enemies: Wulf (very common), Winter Wolf (common), Satyr Cutthroat (very common), Satyr Hoplite (uncommon), Bandersnatch (very uncommon), screecher bat (uncommon)

New Enemies: Vurrblet (very common), Vurrblatic (uncommon) and Vurrblump (very uncommon)

Level two
Level Name: Cocoon Canyon

Intro: General, the myths are true and the Vurrbll are definitely not just fairytail characters from the past. We upset them by sending scouts into their territory and now they turn aggressive as soon as they sense any sound. We have to destroy the Cocoon, all the while we work our way around the many nearby cliffs and canyons.

The cocoon has limited housing space, so our plan is to outlast the Vurrbll and exhaust them. Once we find an opening, we reach out to destroy the cocoon to eliminate these outlandish creatures for once and for all.

Luckily for us, we came across a friendly pixie. In her worry for the forest's future with the Vurrbll around, she offered her help. She knows a lot about the forest and she can show us the best ways to cross the rough terrain, plus she can defy physics and put enemies to sleep. With such an asset, we have the edge.

Biome: The same forest as the previous level, but with more rocky terrain.

Level Description:
The green dot is the cocoon. The red parts around it form a flower. When the boss is defeated, the flower withers and lets loose of the cocoon. The cocoon then tumbles into a canyon, shown by the pink arrow.

Recurring Enemies: Wulf (very common), Winter Wolf (common), Satyr Cutthroat (common), Satyr Hoplite (uncommon), Bandersnatch (very uncommon), screecher bat (uncommon)

New Enemies: Vurrblast, Vurrboss

Enemies

Name: Vurrblet
Appearance: Vurrblet are little purple furrballs. They are round and completely covered in fluffy hair. Vurrblet don't have faces or limbs, the only real features they have are two tiny insect-like wings that sprout from their backsides and two little antennas on the top of their head.

HP: 400
Damage: 5-15 (Vurrblet use high-pitched buzzing sounds to deal damage)
Armour: rating: none
Magic: resistance: low
Speed: slow
Lives Taken: 1
Skills:
- its sound based attacks ignore armor. (the damage is considered magic damage)

Description: Insect-like creatures of unknown origin that use soundwaves to attack.

Name: Vurrblatic
Appearance: A worm like creature completely covered in yellow fur. It flies with it's two, rather large, insect-like wings. It has two antennas on its head which sometimes exchange electrical pulses. It also has a tail in the form of an electrical plug. It's movement is floaty and very reminiscent of a soundwave.

HP: 750
Damage: 20-52 (it shoots a thunderbolt from its tail that jumps to up to 2 soldiers, dealing 50% damage with each jump. Very slow fire rate)
Armour rating: none
Magic resistance: medium
Lives Taken: 2
Skills:
- flying
- ranged
- From time to time, it discharges an electrical shockwave. Up to five nearby Vurrblet become statically charged. They stick to each other and form one giant Vurrblet (also fully healing injured Vurrblet). The stats of all effected Vurrblet fuse together, except for speed. Every time 400 damage is done to the giant Vurrblet, damage drops by 5-15 and lives taken drops by one. Druid attacks do 5 times as much damage (4 times as much when 400 damage is done, 3 times as much when 800 damage is done, etc.)

Description: hairy flying eel-insect hybrid creatures with antennas that shoot thunder from their butts. Terrifying.

Name: Vurrblump
Appearance: A Vurrblump is a very big pink type of Vurrbl. It's sphere-shaped, but it also has chubby triangular arms, unlike Vurrblet. It's underside and backside are covered in rock-hard skin, protecting the Vurrblump from damage. It floats slightly above the ground, but it's still considered as a grounded enemy, similar to a twilight golem.

HP: 3250
Damage: 50-95 (slaps the enemy with it's chubby arms)
Armour ratin: medium
Magic resistance: low
Lives Taken: 3
Skills:
- immune to insta-kills (except for Vindicator and the Wrath of Elynie)
- whenever 3 or more Vurrbll die near a Vurrblump within 10 seconds, the Vurrblump gestures it's arms over each other with a bit of space between them (as if he is trying to roll an oversized meatball) and two Vurrblet spawn between it's arms. Spawned Vurrblet won't trigger this skill again when they die. Cooldown: 10 seconds
Description: Chubby Vurrbll with rock-hard skin that reproduce on the spot in a mysterious manner.

Name: Vurrblast
Appearance: a red type of Vurrbll who developed stretchy limbs. It's base is the same as a Vurrblet (including the tiny wings and antennas), but a Vurrblast also has stiff springs as 'legs' with two simple feet, both with one toe each, and a mouth to make noises that can actually be heard. It's arms aren't as well developed yet and are just thin, long strings of fur that flail behind the Vurrblast when it runs.

HP: 300
Damage: 20-40 (takes a deep breath and emits an earsplitting sound)
Magic resistance: low
Speed: fast
Lives Taken: 1
Skills:
- Deals damage in a range of 'extreme'. Damage isn't affected by physical armor. (it's considered magic damage)
- It's melee attacks also alert every Vurrblump within range. The Vurrblump instantly spawn 2 Vurrblet and throw them towards the Vurrblast that triggered it's spawn ability. The 10 second cooldown of the spawn ability is taken into account.

Description: fearful little creatures that start to scream when endangered.

Name: Vurrboss
Appearance: The boss consist of two mini-bosses that each exit the cocoon from a different gape. Both have the the same body structure and movements as Vurrblatic. One has green fur and the other has orange fur. Instead of an electrical plug though, the mini-bosses have large needle as tail.

HP: 7200 each
Damage: none
Magic resistance: none
Lives Taken: 20
Skills:
- flying
- every time that a mini-boss loses 1/4 of it's total health, it pins itself into the ground with it's needle for 5 seconds. It injects the earth with a poison. The ground around the needle becomes dark green and crackled permanently, and allied units that stand on it take 25 damage per second.
- the bosses exchanges an electrical bolt between each other's antennas, stunning all towers struck by the bolt for 5 seconds.
- when one mini-boss dies, the other takes takes 20 damage per second until it dies too, and an extra wave of Vurrbll storm out of the cocoon. You have to defeat all Vurrbll on the screen. Defeating both bosses doesn't instantly kill them all.

Description: the two big Vurrbll brothers live in symbioses with each other.

level feature
Name: updraft

Type: Negative
Trigger: Passive
Effect: Small groups of strayed gnolls started a campfire to keep themselves warm in the chilly and windy environment they ended up in. The wind blows the hot air over the path.

If a Vurrblet (including giant Vurrblet) or a Vurrblast come into contact with the updraft from the campfire, they will start to float up and they will be considered flying enemies for 20 seconds.

Hero
Name: Strophe
Appearance and personality: Strophe is a pixie, just like Catha. Unlike Catha, however, Strophe is very timid and calm, and she will never lose her cool. Her hair is fiery red, her eyes vibrant green and her dress is made from yellow and orange autumn leafs. Strophe is a lone wolf, yet physically weak, so she relies on disabling enemies so you as the general can take them out more easily, to protect the woods that are her home.

health: 400
damage: 1-1 ranged AoE 'damage' (it doesn't deal much damage, but stuns enemies for 2 seconds instead)
magic resistance: medium
speed: fast
respawn: 14s

skills:
1. gravity (10s): increases the gravity in an area around her for 6 seconds, the center of gravity becoming Strophe herself. This forces flying enemies to the ground and slowly drags enemies towards her location. Enemies that fly by means of an updraft can't float up after gravity ends (unless they come into contact with another updraft). It doesn't affect the Vurrboss brothers.

2. topsy-turvy (12s): the 4 closest enemies with magic resistance have their resistance flipped for 5 seconds, so that instead of taking reduced damage from magic attacks, they take extra damage. The higher their magic resistance, the more additional damage they take.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

Re: mini-campaign: the cocooned secret

by The Kingmaker » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:49 am

I love insectoid enemies and their primary colours really stick out and would make a very recognisable enemy group.

Frigid Northern Fae Forest? Yes, please!
An interesting gimmick in a level that the hero counters? Yes, please!

My only critique would really be adding some of the details that really made the Fae levels so great, the Northern setting could easily lend itself to some of the more... extreme fairy tales, like the Grimm ones.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by AerisDraco » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Oh!
I just got the joke.
Catha and Strophe.
Catastrophe?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Magnus0 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:55 pm

AerisDraco wrote:Oh!
I just got the joke.
Catha and Strophe.
Catastrophe?

A winner is you!
The Kingmaker wrote:I love insectoid enemies and their primary colours really stick out and would make a very recognisable enemy group.

Frigid Northern Fae Forest? Yes, please!
An interesting gimmick in a level that the hero counters? Yes, please!

My only critique would really be adding some of the details that really made the Fae levels so great, the Northern setting could easily lend itself to some of the more... extreme fairy tales, like the Grimm ones.

What exactly do you mean by 'extreme fairy tales? I'm not really sure if I get what you're saying.

Btw, the colours of the four enemies are the same as the four main islands' names in pokemon Sun and Moon.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by Ruby_Hex » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:44 pm

I think what Kingmaker was implying was some of the more gritty, intense and creepy fairy tales, as apposed to the more innocent ones that most people are used to.
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by Ninja » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:01 am

Ruby_Hex wrote:I think what Kingmaker was implying was some of the more gritty, intense and creepy fairy tales, as apposed to the more innocent ones that most people are used to.

That's what he meant. After all, he directly related the phrase "extreme fairy tales" to the phrase "like the Grimm ones". ;)
:hero:
User

by Magnus0 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:19 am

Yeah I understand now. Just making sure. ;)

To be honest, I don't know a lot about northern fairytales. I also had to keep with the alien invasion theme from the contest, so that's why I didn't delve too much in earthly details.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by The Kingmaker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:26 am

I mean most of the classical fairy tales have already been covered, however because they're the modern version they've omitted many of the darker elements, like Hänsel ünd Gretel getting cooked and eaten alive, Little Red Cap (Riding Hood here but now I'm imagining a Redcap doing the tale) and her Grandmother being eaten, and in some stories cut out by a huntsman.

I think a Rapubzel tower could easily fit in earthed of these levels, with a prince and white stallion at the bottom of the tower, and a beautiful woman with golden hair at the top. Each tap increases the length of the hair until the prince can climb up, when he's at the top, a few things could happen.
In the story, the witch removed the girl to set this trap for the prince, turns around and de-glamours, removes the hair and the prince falls. Alternatively, the witch could fly in on a broom with comically sized scissors and cut the hair before they reach.
Regardless, the prince falls into a thorn bush, the stallion bolts and the blinded prince tries to run away, bashing into a treee before he does so.
TBH I want that in a Fae Forest update

My treasured creations:
User

by Magnus0 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:13 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:I mean most of the classical fairy tales have already been covered, however because they're the modern version they've omitted many of the darker elements, like Hänsel ünd Gretel getting cooked and eaten alive, Little Red Cap (Riding Hood here but now I'm imagining a Redcap doing the tale) and her Grandmother being eaten, and in some stories cut out by a huntsman.

I think a Rapubzel tower could easily fit in earthed of these levels, with a prince and white stallion at the bottom of the tower, and a beautiful woman with golden hair at the top. Each tap increases the length of the hair until the prince can climb up, when he's at the top, a few things could happen.
In the story, the witch removed the girl to set this trap for the prince, turns around and de-glamours, removes the hair and the prince falls. Alternatively, the witch could fly in on a broom with comically sized scissors and cut the hair before they reach.
Regardless, the prince falls into a thorn bush, the stallion bolts and the blinded prince tries to run away, bashing into a treee before he does so.
TBH I want that in a Fae Forest update

As I said, the focus of this campaign was on the alien invasion aspect, not on the fact that it takes place in the Fae forest. So to speak, the cocoon could have landed anywhere else. I just chose the Fae forest because that area doesn´t have a mini-campaign yet.

I think that your ideas make for a great MC contest for the future though. The fairy tales could be much more prominent in a mini-campaign where the focus lies on an actual fairy tale.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by The Kingmaker » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:57 am

Agreed, however my own ideas for a Fae Forest MC are pretty much exclusively enemies at this point, a Jabberwock (and upgradable boy with Vorpal Sword), a few of the darker elements from the Grimms, beasts that fit from other areas, like mythology (right after the Duredhel update and we all moaned about how boring recent flying enemies have been, I came up with a concept for Stymphalian birds, which would have a number of unique factors to not only make them different, but also to (hopefully) encourage barracks and artillery use)

The thing is, the Fae forest is such a rich and expandable concept, I'm not certain where it's enemies currently would fit in, I mean with so many ideas for the deeper forest, I don't think introducing more Satyrs and Gnomes would be worth the time, and they could probably fit their own campaign.

Like I said most of my hypothetical MCs are enemy based in my head, pray tell,how would you involve the fairytale into the story?

My treasured creations:
User