Iron Marines (coming soon...)

A new Sci-Fi adventure! Mechas included.

Re: Iron Marines (Delayed 'til Dec '16 or early 2017)

by Franisz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:26 am

Can we get maybe some screens? That would be awesome! :hero:
"Freedom means the opportunity to be what we never thought we would be." ~ Daniel J. Boorstin
User

by The_TaTs » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Just a quick SitRep.

I got to play the alpha version of Iron Marines yesterday and it's looking very, very good. It has a very decent learning curve, awesome animations and some very fun mechanics.

In the current version, the classic "reinforcements" mechanic from previous KR games has been replaced with a small turret that is dropped from orbit and can be placed anywhere on sight, making for an excellent defense buff or a decoy that can either help your soldiers push for an offensive move or to get them out when things get really bad (and they do get bad, I almost lost all my units in the 3rd level).

For balance issues, units don't shoot and walk at the same time. Now, this seems silly from a realistic point of view, but since the game is in 2D, it gets technically over-expensive to implement waking + firing animations (I actually asked about this earlier today).

I tested the units group system:
You have Hero units, small squads of 3 solders each (you can swap between snipers, rangers and techs anytime) and 3 types of mechas (similar to the Goliath from Starcraft).
If you double tap near your units, you get to select them all, so that's helpful to move them around, but a bit dangerous if you haven't cleared the area. Snipers should be left un-grouped and pushed to the rear, while mechas are slow and easily outpaced by your regular marines (Rangers)... so grouping is only helpful if you are absolutely sure that your soldiers are not going to be attacked midway and that you not need them all to arrive at the same time.
When you need to advance against an enemy base (usually a refinery of sorts, some unit spawners and a few defenses), you'll need to make sure you have your arrive at the same time our they'll get pummeled. (Remember, units either move or fight, so you really need to pay attention).

The maps are slightly larger than a regular KR map, so even on my iPad, I had to scroll. Also, there's a unit cap per level... so attacking bases can be tricky, you really need to leave at least some Snipers behind to take care of heavy armored enemies.

The Hero unit was alright, I used Cpt.Taguins (which is like a regular marine but stronger) and Kara (the girl in the utility suit that fires rockets)... she is a bit of a glass cannon but can put a lot of damage to units, I liked her voice and had fun with her abilities.

The Tech tree is big and some techs can be upgraded more than once, which I liked. The game is also designed so expendable items are more affordable, but also more necessary. I used a small orbital rocket strike that saved my skin twice. The idea is that you use these items instead of spells, but balanced in a way that doesn't force you to spend real money.

Overall, I loved the difficulty curve, the art and the balance between intense moments and calm moments on each level.

So far, I didn't particularly liked some of the voices, and the interface still needs work. The notifications on enemies and friendly units can be easily looked over and that also needs work, specially when the game doesn't let you know about some very useful building upgrades (like shields).

Final verdict: For an Alpha version, the game looks awesome, feels awesome and actually felt challenging in the right moments.
I'll try to get around streaming some live gameplay on Twitch in a month or so.

What does that mean for all of you?
I don't want to get your hopes up in vain, but I think that the game should be ready for a Beta testing round of the first 8 levels before the end of the year.
Stat tuned!
User

by Magnus0 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:02 pm

The_TaTs wrote:Just a quick SitRep.

I got to play the alpha version of Iron Marines yesterday and it's looking very, very good. It has a very decent learning curve, awesome animations and some very fun mechanics.

In the current version, the classic "reinforcements" mechanic from previous KR games has been replaced with a small turret that is dropped from orbit and can be placed anywhere on sight, making for an excellent defense buff or a decoy that can either help your soldiers push for an offensive move or to get them out when things get really bad (and they do get bad, I almost lost all my units in the 3rd level).

For balance issues, units don't shoot and walk at the same time. Now, this seems silly from a realistic point of view, but since the game is in 2D, it gets technically over-expensive to implement waking + firing animations (I actually asked about this earlier today).

You have Hero units, small squads of 3 solders each (you can swap between snipers, rangers and techs anytime) and 3 types of mechas (similar to the Goliath from Starcraft).
If you double tap near your units, you get to select them all, so that's helpful to move them around, but a bit dangerous if you haven't cleared the area. Snipers should be left un-grouped and pushed to the rear, while mechas are slow and easily outpaced by your regular marines (Rangers)... so grouping is only helpful if you are absolutely sure that your soldiers are not going to be attacked midway and that you not need them all to arrive at the same time.
When you need to advance against an enemy base (usually a refinery of sorts, some unit spawners and a few defenses), you'll need to make sure you have your arrive at the same time our they'll get pummeled. (Remember, units either move or fight, so you really need to pay attention).

The maps are slightly larger than a regular KR map, so even on my iPad, I had to scroll. Also, there's a unit cap per level... so attacking bases can be tricky, you really need to leave at least some Snipers behind to take care of heavy armored enemies.

The Hero unit was alright, I used Cpt.Taguins (which is like a regular marine but stronger) and Kara (the girl in the utility suit that fires rockets)... she is a bit of a glass cannon but can put a lot of damage to units, I liked her voice and had fun with her abilities.

The Tech tree is big and some techs can be upgraded more than once, which I liked. The game is also designed so expendable items are more affordable, but also more necessary. I used a small orbital rocket strike that saved my skin twice. The idea is that you use these items instead of spells, but balanced in a way that doesn't force you to spend real money.

Overall, I loved the difficulty curve, the art and the balance between intense moments and calm moments on each level.

So far, I didn't particularly liked some of the voices, and the interface still needs work. The notifications on enemies and friendly units can be easily looked over and that also needs work, specially when the game doesn't let you know about some very useful building upgrades (like shields).

Final verdict: For an Alpha version, the game looks awesome, feels awesome and actually felt challenging in the right moments.

I don't want to get your hopes up in vain, but I think that the game should be ready for a Beta testing round of the first 8 levels before the end of the year.
Stat tuned!

A W E S O M E
W
E
S
O
M
E
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by AerisDraco » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:30 pm

A TECH TREE

I LOVE TECH TREES
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by FeedDaKingdom » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:46 pm

Well, having a list of stuff thats happening could solve it but not in a mobile screen, that would consume too much space.
Units also don't move and shoot in Starcraft (with exception of few units that can do so as an ability), so can you rapidly order your units to stop to shoot and move again as a form of kiting?
I think a good option is to make the warning sign from the GDC footage when your units get attacked a button you could press to take you there instantly.
How tanky are the mechs?
Either way, i can't wait for it.
Every soul is sacred, no one has to die
I just change the pace of inevitability
User

by The Kingmaker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Excellent!

I've been looking forward to this...
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Sir Toddalot » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Sounds amazing! Can't wait.
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”

-The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
User

by Ninja » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Sir Toddalot wrote:Sounds amazing! Can't wait.

Welcome to the forums! :D
:hero:
User

by VirtualTT » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:25 pm

So, does the game concept remain the same?
I mean is it still a single-player RTS with futuristic setting?
User

by FeedDaKingdom » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:46 am

Ummmm....yes?
they cant really deviate from the futuristic setting anymore, since they already made the assets for it.
And making it multiplayer would take a monumental effort.
Every soul is sacred, no one has to die
I just change the pace of inevitability
User

by Sir Toddalot » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:00 pm

Ninja wrote:
Sir Toddalot wrote:Sounds amazing! Can't wait.

Welcome to the forums! :D

Thanks! :)
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”

-The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
User

by canlupus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Yay! And Yay again!
User

by aconfusedkender » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 pm

I can't wait! this looks and sounds great after reading what the Tat_Master had to say. Stoked and ready to play :yey:
User

by EliBarracuda » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:11 pm

How will minimum requirements to play game on PC look like? Similar to Kingdom Rush games or higher? I have a poor laptop, however I can play KR on fantastic graphics quality so do you maybe know will it be strong enough to run IM once it's released?
User

by Franisz » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:29 am

I think it will be only mobile
"Freedom means the opportunity to be what we never thought we would be." ~ Daniel J. Boorstin
User

by magicmetal03 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Franisz wrote:I think it will be only mobile

It's on mobile and PC.
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by Ninja » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:03 pm

magicmetal03 wrote:

It's on mobile and PC.

Steam, to be exact.
:hero:
User

by The_TaTs » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:40 pm

Ninja wrote:
magicmetal03 wrote:

It's on mobile and PC.

Steam, to be exact.

It might also be released on GOG and BundleStars eventually. 8-)
User

by xstargaming » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:23 am

Stat tuned!

That's great news, which I am terribly late in responding to! :D
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:25 am

That's pretty cool; I find it interesting that Ironhide is using KR as a basis for Iron Marines and changing things around in order or it to fit the RTS format as much as they like. How long do the turrets last, and if they are permanent, is there a limit on how many can be active at once? I'm also guessing that the turret isn't as spam-able as the 10-second-recharging reinforcements in the KR series.

The_TaTs wrote:For balance issues, units don't shoot and walk at the same time. Now, this seems silly from a realistic point of view, but since the game is in 2D, it gets technically over-expensive to implement walking + firing animations (I actually asked about this earlier today).

That makes sense. I imagine that it would require sprites for every direction that the units are walking with each direction that they could be firing in per walking direction. Was this one of the factors that delayed Iron Marines in the first place? Also, do heroes and enemy units and bosses follow the same rules?

The_TaTs wrote:I tested the units group system:
You have Hero units, small squads of 3 soldiers each (you can swap between snipers, rangers, and techs anytime) and 3 types of mechas (similar to the Goliath from Starcraft).

I'm probably forcing a repeat answer here, but I'm too hyped to filter my questions ( :D ), so: Was the game originally intended to be played in this way, or was this style of gameplay added in afterwards as a method to accommodate for units' inability to attack and walk at the same time?

The_TaTs wrote:The maps are slightly larger than a regular KR map, so even on my iPad, I had to scroll. Also, there's a unit cap per level... so attacking bases can be tricky, you really need to leave at least some Snipers behind to take care of heavy armored enemies.

What did you think about the unit cap? Did you ever feel like your army was too small? One of my favorite parts about RTS games are their size and scale, so, I worry that I won't get to have anything of a true war-sized battle in this game, especially after seeing the released footage and how small the amount of available units were there.

The_TaTs wrote:The Hero unit was alright, I used Cpt.Taguins (which is like a regular marine but stronger) and Kara (the girl in the utility suit that fires rockets)... she is a bit of a glass cannon but can put a lot of damage to units, I liked her voice and had fun with her abilities.

Did you find yourself micromanaging the heroes as much as your other units and base? How easy was it to give them orders and find them on the map?

The_TaTs wrote:The Tech tree is big and some techs can be upgraded more than once, which I liked.

Fantastic; I love layered upgrades. You're referring to an overall, permanent tech tree, just like the star upgrades from the KR games, right? Do the upgrades within each level, that are specific to individual towers, also have multiple upgrade levels? Also, can units receive upgrades, and if so, do the unit types get upgrades or are the upgrades bought for each individual squad of of units?

The_TaTs wrote:The game is also designed so expendable items are more affordable, but also more necessary. I used a small orbital rocket strike that saved my skin twice. The idea is that you use these items instead of spells, but balanced in a way that doesn't force you to spend real money.

Inhales sharply

I don't like the sound of this. The Gnome Shop has never been necessary to beating levels in Kingdom Rush, and for good reason. It's annoying to resort to using items that one can buy an infinite amount of to guarantee success on a level. There's no way of knowing how much one needs for each new level, which either makes it frustrating to attempt a level and not have enough to win, wasting the items and resources spent on them, or ruins the satisfaction of completing a mission because it will feel like too many items were used and made the level too easy. I really hope that each of the missions can be beaten with perfect scores without the need of any items, because I get the most fun out of playing that way. If the items really are necessary, could you ask the developers if they can implement a measurement of the estimated amount of gems recommended for the level in order to minimize those problems? :)

The_TaTs wrote:Final verdict: For an Alpha version, the game looks awesome, feels awesome and actually felt challenging in the right moments.

Really? I'd like to see you playing the game in real time so I can judge your gaming skills, Tats. :twisted:
BBB

PreviousNext