Kingdom Rush Frontiers HD: Too difficult

For the King!

Kingdom Rush Frontiers HD: Too difficult

by tja » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:15 pm

I realy liked and like Kingdom Rush HD, but for me, the difficulty in Casual mode is way to high for me.
I constantly cannot reach 3 stars and cannot beat Crimson Valley at all.
Maybe I should consult some walkthrough, but realy, I would prefer that the most easy mode realy is easy!
I want to experience the story, not fight 1000 times the same level to be able to continue.
User

Re: Kingdom Rush Frontiers HD: Too difficult

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:05 am

Pls the level on Veteran and see how well you do, then compare it to Casual. If you're failing to beat a level then it's your place,ent of towers and strategy that’s at fault, not the HP of the enemies.
Yes it's me

by tja » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:13 am

I don't realy understand.
Playing at Veteran will be more difficult, not more easy.

After endless tries at Crimson Valley, I now skipped to Kingdom Rush Origins HD, but there, I am stopped at Redwood Stand, which is only the fourth level.
I cannot beat it.

Those games are much, much harder than the original Kingdom Rush HD, and I am realy frustrated about this.
Why making games to difficult at Casual Level?!?
I just want to play, not fight endlessly with every level.
I bought the other games because of the first, and I could beat all the regular levels without real problems.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:42 am

tja wrote:I don't realy understand.
Playing at Veteran will be more difficult, not more easy.

Correct. As in, play it on Veteran and you'll see how difficult it is compared to playing it on Casual.

[wuote]After endless tries at Crimson Valley, I now skipped to Kingdom Rush Origins HD, but there, I am stopped at Redwood Stand, which is only the fourth level.
I cannot beat it.

Those games are much, much harder than the original Kingdom Rush HD, and I am realy frustrated about this.
Why making games to difficult at Casual Level?!?
I just want to play, not fight endlessly with every level.
I bought the other games because of the first, and I could beat all the regular levels without real problems.[/quote]

Redwood Stand is not a difficult level. If you are having trouble this early in the game then it is your play style that is at fault, not the difficulty of the game. We can help you beat the levels, but you're going to have to provide more information. How many Stars do you have, what Hero are you using, at what point in the stage are you losing! Is it a particular enemy you have trouble beating or are you just leaking enemies through the exit?
Yes it's me

by tja » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:09 am

It is the same on all games:

I cannot stop the flood of enemies, they get past my hero.

In Kingdom Rush, only in the side levels off the main path (Alleria Swiftwind).
In Frontiers at Crimson Valley (Mirage).
In Origins at Redwood Stand (Eridan).
And now at Vengeance at Kazan Mines (Veruk).

In Casual mode, levels should not be such difficult, IMHO.
They weren't in the main levels of Kingdom Rush HD!

About the stars, I have 36 in Kingdom Rush HD, and of course much less in the other games, as I cannot get past the mentioned level.
And I also could not three star all levels, this I could only do in Kingdom Rush HD, not the others.

How to upload Screenshots in this forum?
Does not seem to be possible.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:33 am

tja wrote:It is the same on all games:

I cannot stop the flood of enemies, they get past my hero.

They get past your hero? What about your barracks? Your hero shouldn’t be your only line of defence against enemies, they're designed to work with the towers not to solely block exits.

In Casual mode, levels should not be such difficult, IMHO.
They weren't in the main levels of Kingdom Rush HD!

In all this time I have never heard of anyone getting stuck this early on Casual, so it’s not a case of the game being too difficult.

[quote)About the stars, I have 36 in Kingdom Rush HD, and of course much less in the other games, as I cannot get past the mentioned level.
And I also could not three star all levels, this I could only do in Kingdom Rush HD, not the others.[/quote]

Ok, we're going to break things down in a new post to work it out.

How to upload Screenshots in this forum?
Does not seem to be possible.

Upload them to tinypic then use IMG rags on the forum to display them. We don’t allow attachments.
Yes it's me

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:42 am

Ok first off, let’s get the statistics down.

For each game you need to state what you have for the following:

* How many Stars you have
* What upgrades you have bought with them
* What level your Hero is (outside of KR)
* What you've spent their points on

Now if you can upload images of the levels as you are defeated so we can see your tower layout, then we can analyse to see what's wrong. You may be using towers that are ineffective or too far back or forward to be of proper use.

I'm not going to tell you exactly what to put and where, if you want to be told how to beat a level, there are plenty of videos you can shadow. I will give you tips on how to improve your play. I helped somone in the wiki recently who was stuck on the final boss of KROrigins, and with my assistance they beat it after weeks of failing. So we will get through this.
Yes it's me

by tja » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:26 pm

As i now try to get more stars in KR, we can reduce the analysis to the next game in the series, KRF.

In Frontiers, i got stuck at Crimson Valley, which also was the reason to start this topic.
I only have 15 stars at that stage, because i only got 2 stars at 3 other levels.
I can try to get those also to 3 stars first.

I would like to upload screenshots, but as asked already, i cannot find a way to do so.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:47 pm

tja wrote:As i now try to get more stars in KR, we can reduce the analysis to the next game in the series, KRF.

In Frontiers, i got stuck at Crimson Valley, which also was the reason to start this topic.
I only have 15 stars at that stage, because i only got 2 stars at 3 other levels.

Right, but what have you spent the stars on? I need to know what upgrades you are using to make sure you've spent them on useful things or wasted them on Artillery.

I would like to upload screenshots, but as asked already, i cannot find a way to do so.

These instructions are from my iPad but I imagine it's almost the same for any other device.

1. Take a screenshot on your device.
2. Go to http://tinypic.com/ on your internet browser
3. Tap 'Choose File' (there may be pop ups that open new windows, just go back to the correct window)
4. Tap 'Photo Library'
5. Find the image you want to upload from your photos, it should be the last one you just snapped.
6. Tap 'UPLOAD NOW'
7. There may be a reCAPTCHA you have to complete
8. When it uploads there are four boxes with links in. Go to the fourth box labeled 'Direct Links for Layouts'
9. Copy the link in that box, it should end in jpg or png. If it doesn't end in a file type, its the wrong link.
10. Take that link and put it into your post here. If you paste it in as is, then we can click it to go to the image.
11. If you want us to see it, then put it in image tags. These are added by either putting around the link, or by tapping the 'add image' button in the advanced reply settings (which looks like a little photo)
Yes it's me

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:02 pm

tja wrote:As i now try to get more stars in KR, we can reduce the analysis to the next game in the series, KRF.

I gave Crimson Valley a go. I used 18 stars, assuming you'd had three stars from all the previous levels, but even taking three stars out of the equation it wouldn't have made much difference.

This is what the stars were spent on

The first three upgrades for both Archers and Barracks. There are no armoured enemies in Crimson Valley, so you want to do as much damage as you can with fast attacking towers. The first three upgrades for Rain of Fire allow it to scorch the earth. The remaining stars I had totalled three, which I put into the first Artillery and first Reinforcements, but even omitting those, it wouldn't make much difference. Nothing went into magic.

This was my initial set up. Please note that I re-took this photo after I'd eaten the level, which is why Mirage's exp is the same. I've never even used Mirage on this file, so she started at level 2 with barely any skills, only the shadow attack and increased range. She died a lot at first but then she levelled up twice after I took her out of melee.

Now I know what comes where having played this game so many times, and given that you've played this level so much you should know too. Until the last few waves, there are spiders on the right and savages on the left. Spiders have Magic resistance, so only put archers to fight them. The Spear Maidens are built for this level. I bought two at the start and never had to buy any more, they survive until the end. I did have a bit of leakage at the start, so I may in future decide to change the amount of barracks vs towers on the left. Money earned was put into archers and barracks first, magic only when I had built up enough of a wall of archers to attack.

This was my layout come to the end of the level. You'll notice I sold and repositioned some towers when needed. The Dwaarp wasn't needed, so I could have saved countless coins that I spent upgrading that. The Artillery tower wasn't added until wave 12, and it was only to do some extra damage to the savages. You can see where most of my money went, into Crossbow Towers, all of which have at least level 2 Barrage to do maximum damage. As I said before, now enemy has armour on this level, so Archers will always be a better choice. Magic towers, once they have levelled up enough are good, but at the start of the game they are too slow. I lost two lives. I would have lost more but I used two sticks of Dynamite and a Frozotov. Gnome Items are meant to help. If you're having difficulty, then use them. You only need 17 lives to get 3 stars, and if you drop below that a Heart Box can pump you back up. Use your hero and Reinforcements to stall enemies, and hit the group with Rain of Fire. Mirage should be at a high enough level for you if you've used her constantly, she should have no trouble going one on one with the savages.
Yes it's me

by tja » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:52 pm

@RaZoR LeAf
This was an epic reply, many thanks.

At first, I am trying to play the level again, with your recommendations - after that, I will reply with more details!

Thanks again!
User

by tja » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:50 pm

OK, before trying to beat Crimson Valley,
I needed the missing 3 stars.

My last try was Nazeru's Gates:

I tried this over 10 times, but could not beat this level without losing hearts.
I finally resigned and bought 5 hearts, so that I could 3-star the level.

But this is already the problem:

I do not believe, that it is possible to beat this level without loosing hearts or buying stuff with gems

For me, this is just prove that the levels are too difficult.

On the lowest settings, any level should be beatable without loosing hearts or buying stuff with gems.

Anyway, I still need one more star to try Crimson Valley again.
User

by tja » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:00 pm

My selection of skills at this moment:

BTW, why are you using a forum software that cannot upload images?!?

This tinypic workaround is... :-|
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:28 pm

tja wrote:My selection of skills at this moment:

BTW, why are you using a forum software that cannot upload images?!?

This tinypic workaround is... :-|

Loads of forums don’t allow attachments. Using external image sites has ways been the norm for me.

You have all your stars in Magic. Don’t. Remember you can reset and move them around to suit a level. Put more into Rain of Fire and Reinforcements above all others, they're the backbone of your on hand defence. Take them all out of Artillery, and don’t spend any there until you have at least four in every other category.

If I can tomorrow I will upload a video of myself playing the level to prove it can be beaten.
Yes it's me

by tja » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:07 am

I managed to beat Crimson Valley, after your hints about no armored enemies.
Many, many thanks!

It was finally even easy, I did not use all spots to place towers and I did not loose a single heart!

And yes, I maxed out my reinforcements for this :-)
But I need to say, that I don't realy like those dynamic features - I prefer to just handle this with towers.

About the forum, I was in lots and lots of forums in my live, but this is the very first forum that does not allow to upload images I ever experienced!

I still have problems to believe, that Nazeru's Gate can be beaten without loosing a heart ;-)
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:58 pm

tja wrote:I still have problems to believe, that Nazeru's Gate can be beaten without loosing a heart ;-)

https://youtu.be/EKkPImywSVQ

I knocked the video size down significantly so it didn't take hours to upload, so please excuse the quality.

I took off all my upgrades and points beforehand so you can watch me add them. Fortunately, my Mirage was at the same level as yours is in your screenshot, level 5. Also from your screenshot, I deduced you had 16 stars so that's exactly how many I spent on upgrades too.

I pause briefly about 5 minutes in because my dog was trying to jump on me.

Things you should take note of:
* Checking what the waves are before calling them early. Most of the time I called them, but sometimes I made sure the paths were clear before calling, so the new enemies didn't get mixed in with the old.
* Using Reinforcements, even when they weren't needed
* Upgrading where it was needed
* Assassins steal gold. Not much, but enough to pay for another upgrade or two.

Things I could have done differently:
* At the start of wave 9 I have Giant Scorpions coming out onto a path with almost no Magic coverage. I could have swapped the positions of the Archer and Mage on the top path to account for this.
* Alric would be a way better choice of Hero than Mirage. She could stand toe to toe with Immortals and his Warriors would have helped with the Dune Terrors and Fallen spawned by the Wraiths.
Yes it's me

by sunnydaler » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:24 am

Nazeru's Gates is indeed a difficult campaign when you play it in veteran mode with limited star upgrades and a low-level hero.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 am

sunnydaler wrote:Nazeru's Gates is indeed a difficult campaign when you play it in veteran mode with limited star upgrades and a low-level hero.

But not Casual with a mid to high level hero.
Yes it's me

by Ninja » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:04 am

Eh, I just played it in Veteran with no stars and it's only somewhat difficult. Level 10 hero, though.
:hero:
User

by sunnydaler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:20 am

Ninja wrote:Eh, I just played it in Veteran with no stars and it's only somewhat difficult. Level 10 hero, though.

should have called all waves instantly, too. hehe.

anyway, I feel like grinding when playing low-level Alric in Buccaneer's Den and Nazeru's Gates.

level-10 Bruxa will annihilate desert enemies with ease.
User

Next