KRV Mini-Campaign: Depths of the Jungle

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

KRV Mini-Campaign: Depths of the Jungle

by GoddessArtemis » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Depths of the Jungle

General! GENERAL! From the top of my tower, I can see peaceful Ho-Kai farmers working in the jungles. I do NOT like the sight of it. Everything the light touches is my land! Although, technically, the jungle is covered by a thick canopy that… BUT I DON’T CARE! Go get ‘em! And don’t roll your eyes!

Tower: Savage Hideout

Hunters from a savage tribe in the depths of the jungle. These expert assassins eliminate all targets with their deadly poisoned darts.

A savage hunter with a purple mask sits atop a wooden platform that is covered in undergrowth, bones and tribal markings. He shoots darts from a blowpipe, targeting the first enemy who isn’t poisoned.

Passive: poisons all targets it hits, dealing true damage for 5 sec.; consecutive hits refresh the countdown

Level 1 (110)

range: 315 (average)
attack speed: 0.9s
physical attack: 1-3
poison damage: 2/s (10)

Level 2 (140)

range: 345 (long)
attack speed: 0.8s
physical attack: 4-6
poison damage: 3/s (15)

Level 3 (200)

range: 375 (long)
attack speed: 0.7s
physical attack: 7-9
poison damage: 4/s (20)

Level 4 (300)

Two ruthless, faceless killers. Once they have met their mark, their venom leaves you with only have a few seconds to stare into their emotionless eyes.

range: 410 (great)
attack speed: 0.6s
physical attack: 10-13
poison damage: 6/s (30)

Abilities:

Shaman (160/150/140) (active, 18s): casts a curse that reduces all resistances of enemies in an area permanently by 20/40/60%
A shaman with a staff and a blue and green mask appears at the foot of the tower. Blue/green effects surround the enemies affected.

“That’s some bad juju!”

Blood Trickster (280) (passive): raise a Savage Zombie when a nearby friendly unit is killed
A blood trickster appears at the foot of the tower. When a unit is defeated, the trickster raises its glowing red staff and a Savage Zombie rises from the ground.

“…the dead will walk the earth.”

health: 120
physical melee damage: 20-30
attack speed: 1.5s
armour: 0%
magic resistance: 0%
health degradation: 8/s

Poukai Watcher (210/230/250) (passive): nearby towers get 15/30/45% extra range, does not stack
A small Poukai starts to circle the tower, occasionally roosting on a perch.

“Nevermore.”

Quotes:

All quotes are translated to Samoan as savages do not speak English. References at the end.

“E leai se tasi e faamoemoe i le Ma’qwa!” (when built)
“O matou o tagata tolauapi.”
“O le a tatou vaai ia i latou o oti i le efuefu.”
“Tala faʻamaumau faʻamaonia!”

“Taofi lou tetee!” (Shaman)
“Pe a leai se avanoa i seoli...” (Blood Trickster)
*Screech* (Poukai Watcher)

Hero: Narg’qwa, savage chief

After the death of their last leader in the battle against the King’s forces, the Ma’qwa tribe chose a new chief: Narg’qwa. This skilled hunter earned his title by brutally slaying and devouring all potential opponents. A savage warrior and shaman, he inspires fear in anyone who dares enter his domain – while they are still alive.

Narg’qwa is a sturdy savage who wears a multicoloured tribal mask with elaborate feathers. He attacks by throwing spears at a distance and a magical spirit dagger up close.

Level 10 stats:

health: 400
range: 320 (average)
magical melee damage: 28-34
physical ranged damage: 25-29
attack speed: 1s
magic resistance: 40%
respawn: 22s

Passive: rides a Poukai when traversing the map, giving him a very fast speed

Abilities:

Devour (passive): when he kills an enemy in melee combat, Narg’qwa devours the corpse and heals for 20/40/60% of the enemy’s health

Poison Barrage (active, 25s): shoots 1/2/3 poisoned darts at different enemies that do 15/25/35 physical damage and 6/8/10 damage per second until the target dies

Shaman Protection (active, 30s): troops around him gain 15/25/35% extra magic resistance or armour (depending on the enemy types in the vicinity) for 3/5/7 seconds

Spirit Mark (active, 35s): stabs an enemy with a spirit dagger, marking them to take 30/50/70% extra damage until they die

Active ability: It’s a trap! (50s) – set a net trap in a selected position; when an enemy touches the trap, enemies in the area take 50/80/120 damage and are stunned for 2/3/4 seconds.

Quotes:

Some quotes are translated to Samoan, as savages do not speak English. References at the end.

“Kakamora!”
“Bal liki liki pe lala!
“Saoloto mai le maasiasi ma le mafaufau!”
“Aaah… Manu fou!"
“O se mailei!” (trap triggered)
“Sobek!” (death)

Campaign

Stage 1 – Tez’ak Crossing

A large party of Ho-Kai farmers and soldiers is going to pass through these crossroads at midday. Fools! Our allies, the Ma’qwa tribe, are experts at traps and have set up a devious plan to ambush them. General, go steal all the money from the rich and give it to the poor. I’m kidding, of course: give it to ME! Bahahaha!

https://imgur.com/Al920yK

1. Scenery: Ma’qwa Ambush x2

Ma’qwa savages lurking in the bushes, waiting for their enemies to walk past. Some feathers, masks and spears occasionally pop out. They throw spears and darts at passers-by.

physical attack: 28-36
attack speed: 2-4s

2. Special Tower: Ma’qwa Trapper

A skilled Ma’qwa craftsman that fashions deadly traps.

A tribal hut decorated with skulls, torches and feathers. A savage with yellow markings occasionally peeks out. Some blades and nets are littered in the area.

Repair:

Abilities:

Traps must be placed on the path when bought and activate once an enemy steps on them. They then disappear.

Net Trap (180): enemies in the area are stunned for 4s
Spike Trap (180): enemies in the area take 60 damage and bleed for 120 damage over 6s
Pit Trap (240): a single enemy falls into the pit and is instantly killed

3. Interactable Environment: Bastion

The barrel of a machine gun can be seen occasionally popping out of a bush.

If the player taps a woodpecker next to it 10 times, Bastion becomes enraged and destroys nearby bushes and trees, dealing 50 damage to units near him. He then runs away.

Enemies
• Ho-Kai Farmer
• Ho-Kai Spearman
• Ho-Kai Warrior
• Seer
• Jatterjay
• Ho-Kai Champion

Stage 2 – Ter-Asim Oasis

Aaaaaah… I could do with a spa after all this terribly tiring conquest. I’ve had to work day and night for weeks! Capture that luxury waterfall village for me, general, but be careful to not get any blood in the water. I’m terribly squeamish. Now get on with it, or I’ll show you what it’s like to give a foot massage to my demon!

https://imgur.com/eUjxZAR

1. Scenery: Oasis Mist x2

Dense water vapour floats from the lake of Rel-qui.

The mist moves from the lake through the zones shown and out of the map slowly. Towers under the mist still attack but cannot be interacted with. Friendly and enemy units are slowed by 30% under the mist and vision is obscured severely. The mist appears once every turn on one side of the map, lasting 12-15s.

2. Special Tower: Golden Treasury

A greedy local businessman, eager to get his hands on glittering gold.

An obese man covered in jewels, sitting atop a structure made of wood, gold and sandstone. Treasure lies in piles around him.

Abilities:

Any gold deposited cannot be used to build towers. At 60s intervals, the stored gold increases by 20%. However, gold needs to be stored for at least 30s for it to give interest.

Deposit (100): deposit some gold
Retrieve: take out 100 gold, or all that is remaining if it less than 100
Better Rates (200/220/240/260): improve interest to 25/30/35/40%

3. Interactable Environment: Quirrel

Quirrel can be seen sitting stoically on the side of the lake. If the player taps on him twice, he darts away. If the player leaves him alone until wave 14, he bows and darts away, granting the player the achievement.

Enemies
• Ho-Kai Farmer
• Ho-Kai Spearman
• Ho-Kai Warrior
• Seer
• Jatterjay
• Ho-Kai Champion
Jatterjay Whistler
• Gold Hoarder
• Ka-Ori Master

Stage 3 – Temple of El-Setec

The Ho-Kai armies have gathered a final time in the capital at the foot of their sacred temple, dedicated to their Sun God. Pathetic! Even without the stone, I am the true god. The sun is just a fat, fuming ball of… STOP SNIGGERING, I am not talking about… Anyway, go show these mewling quims who’s BOSS!

https://imgur.com/PL1qBAr

1. Event: Sun Strike x3

At the end of waves 5, 10 and 15 the sun temple blasts a tower to rubble and opens a new path for enemies. The order is left, right then centre.

2. Scenery: Sun Temple

The temple of El-Setec, infused with the power of the Sun God.

A towering Aztec temple decorated with mass amounts of gold. At the top, a blazing sun disk magically controlled by a mysterious cloaked figure who taunts the player.

Abilities:

The disk uses abilities increasingly frequently as the stage progresses.

Heal: enemies in an area are healed for 25 health/s for 6s
Fire Blast: units in an area take 50 magic damage and burn for 100 true damage over 5s
Blinding Light: reduces the damage of a tower by 75% for 10s

3. Interactable Environment: Flowey

Flowey sits smiling, occasionally making creepy faces. He is revealed if the player clicks on the bushes covering him. If the player moves their hero three times over Flowey, he withers and a heart is seen shattering in his place.

Enemies
• Ho-Kai Farmer
• Ho-Kai Spearman
• Ho-Kai Warrior
• Zed-Si Priestess
• Jatterjay Whistler
• Gold Hoarder
• Ho-Kai Champion
• Ka-Ori Master
Vu-du Sorceress
• War Elephant
• BOSS: Sun Avatar Malik

Enemies

Ho-Kai Farmer

Peaceful farmers of exotic fruit who aren’t afraid to use their tools as weapons.

Dark-skinned men, wearing only brown trousers. Carry bronze/gold sickles, pitchforks and scythes, with some multicoloured fruit hanging on their belts. Aesthetic similar to Malik.

health: 200
physical melee damage: 22-26
attack speed: 1s
speed: medium

Abilities:
heals for 50 health (active, cooldown 15s)

Ho-Kai Warrior

Skilled warriors trained in the art of the sword, wearing light armour.

Similar look as Ho-Kai Farmers but wear golden/bronze armour on their torsos and have elaborate helmets. They wield katanas.

health: 300
physical melee damage: 27-32
attack speed: 0.9s
armour: 35%

Abilities:
25% chance to bleed target for 50 true damage in 5s when attacking (passive)

Ho-Kai Spearman

Soldiers that hurl a barrage of throwing spears, they aid Ho-Kai Warriors in battle.

Ho-Kai with bare torsos, wearing golden wrist guards and a simple helmet, carrying spears.

health: 240
physical melee damage: 14-19
physical ranged damage: 20-24
range 300 (average)
attack speed: 1.1s
armour: 25%

Abilities:
none

Seer

Blind enchantresses who can see glimpses of the future. They link lives with each other.

Women with large, empty black eyes. They constantly hunch and wear rags and jewels made of gold. They hold a staff decorated with more jewels and feathers which emits purple magic when attacking or using their ability.

health: 400
physical melee damage: 15-19
magical ranged damage: 30-40
range: 300 (average)
attack speed: 1.8s
magic resistance: 50%
speed: slow

Abilities:
ranged attacks heal them for 75% of damage dealt (passive)
links two units; when a linked unit takes damage, equal damage is dealt to the other unit (active, 12s)

Jatterjay

Fast jungle birds that move in large flocks and have a painful sting.

Bright green, small birds with razor beaks.

health: 20
true melee damage: 25-32
attack speed: occasionally attacks units in its path once

Abilities:
flying
immune to artillery

Jatterjay Whistler

Ho-Kai who have learned to communicate with wildlife, they summon Jatterjays to pester their foes.

Ho-Kai in full brown clothing and a bag on his back. Uses a pan flute to whack enemies and summon Jatterjays.

health: 360
physical melee damage: 19-23
attack speed: 1.2s

Abilities:
summons 3 Jatterjays (active, cooldown 3-5s)

Gold Hoarder

Rich merchants who indulge in life’s pleasures but cannot wait get their hands on more cash.

Fat Ho-Kai with bare torsos, covered in jewels. They use their bare hands to fight.

health: 500
physical melee damage: 26-31
attack speed: 1.1s

Abilities:
steals 30-60 gold from a soldier (active, cooldown 20s)

Ho-Kai Champion

The strongest warriors in the Ho-Kai army, they crush everything in their path.

Very large, muscular Ho-Kai with bare torsos, golden wrist guards and a large spear.

health: 1500
physical melee damage: 58-67
attack speed: 1.5s
armour: 50%

Abilities:
area attack (passive)
attacks have a 30% chance to stun for 2s (passive)
summons 2 Ho-Kai Spearmen (active, 15s)

Ka-Ori Master

Trained from birth in martial arts, these masters can eliminate any opponent with ease.

Ho-Kai with grey beards and robes with a golden design. Fight with wooden staffs.

health: 600
physical melee damage: 19-26
attack speed: 0.25s
magic resistance: 20%

Abilities:
20% chance to dodge an incoming ranged attack (passive)
40% chance to dodge a melee attack and counter-attack for 50-60 damage

Vu-du Sorceress

Don’t be deceived by their beautiful looks: these sorceresses hold your life in their grasp.

Purple aesthetic similar to Bruxa, but taller and with long, curly hair. They use purple magic and a voodoo doll, fighting with a dagger up close.

health: 575
physical melee damage: 27-33
true ranged attack: 60-80
range: 350 (long)
attack speed: 1.7s
magic resistance: 75%

Abilities:
silences a tower for 20s (active, cooldown 14s)

War Elephant

These majestic creatures are an unstoppable force on the battlefield.

Very large elephant with golden decorations. They have a perch on their back, made of wood and gold, with a Ho-Kai archer.

health: 2250
physical ranged attack: 10-19
attack speed: 0.8
armour: 80%

Abilities:
cannot be stopped, units it walks over are stunned and take 50 physical damage per second
the archer on its back shoots arrows separately from the elephant

BOSS: Sun Avatar Malik

A hero with unmatched strength, untamed mind, and unbroken will.
Hammerfury, ascended.

During the first fifteen waves, Malik stands atop the sun temple using its power to aid his troops and taunting the player. At the end of wave fifteen he blasts a path straight to the exit. Then, he takes off his cloak and a hammer falls from the sky into his hands. He raises the hammer and starts to glow. Out of the light steps a massive Sun Avatar Malik, who has glowing gold eyes and golden marks all over his skin.

When he is defeated, the sun energy seeps out of his body and he shrinks back to his original size. He is then captured by Vez’nan.

health: 10 000
physical melee damage: 110-140
attack speed: 1.7s
armour: 20%
speed: very slow

Abilities:
large area attack
smashes the ground with his hammer, creating a shockwave that deals 100 true
damage and stuns units for 3s (active, 15s)
sun energy burns a large area of ground for 10s; units in the area take 25 damage/s and towers deal 50% less damage (active, 25s)

Quotes:

“Tremble before the AWESOME power of the TRUE Sun God!!” (beginning of level)
“You will never be a god!”
“If something stands between you and your success, MOVE IT!”
“Let there be light.”
“I pity the fool.”
“You will be baked…”
“Roasted!”
“The light… is coming!”
“Blinded by the light?”
“It’s hammer time!”
(transformation)
“It’s not possible…” (defeat)

Achievements

Day of the Dead
Raise 100 Savage Zombies.

Caught the Heffalump!
Activate 10 traps.

E54
Frighten the lone omnic.

Worg of Wall Street
Gain 3000 bonus gold from the Golden Treasury.

I see only wonders…
Do not disturb the bug wanderer.

Determination.
Commit genocide by trampling the flower.

Poppin’ Power

Survive Temple of El-Setec without any of your troops burning to death.

Malik Chained
Defeat Sun Avatar Malik

References

Savage Hideout

“E leai se tasi e faamoemoe i le Ma’qwa!” – ‘Nobody expects the Ma’qwa!’, reference to the famous quote ‘Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!’ from Monty Python
“O matou o tagata tolauapi.” – ‘We’re bush campers.’, reference to players hiding in bushes in Fortnite
“O le a tatou vaai ia i latou o oti i le efuefu.” – ‘We will see them dying in the dust’, quote from the song Savages in Pocahontas
“Tala faʻamaumau faʻamaonia!” – ‘Myth confirmed!’, reference to Adam Savage, host of MythBusters
“Taofi lou tetee!” – ‘Cease your resistance!’, Orisa’s ultimate line in Overwatch
“That’s some bad juju!” – juju is a part of witchcraft in West Africa; it can be used to decribe a bad vibe or aura
“Pe a leai se avanoa i seoli...” – ‘When there’s no more room in hell…’, first part of a famous quote from Dawn of the Dead
“… the dead will walk the earth.” – second part of the quote
“Nevermore.” – quote from E. A. Poe’s poem The Raven

Narg’qwa

“Kakamora!” – coconut savages in Moana
“Bal liki liki pe lala!” – ‘Go get them!’ in Umshoko, the language of the cannibals in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest
“Saoloto mai le maasiasi ma le mafaufau!” – ‘liberated from shame and self-consciousness’, a quote from Lord of the Flies by William Golding
“Aaah… Manu fou!” – ‘Aaah… Fresh meat!’ – a line spoken by The Butcher in the game Diablo, reference to the svages being cannibals
“O se mailei!” – ‘It’s a trap!’, famous line by Admiral Ackbar in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
“Sobek!” – the Egyptian crocodile god; the stage description in Temple of Saqra mentions a ‘crocodile-shaped deity’ of the Ma’qwa

Malik

“You will never be a god!” – a line spoken by Loki in Avengers: Infinity War
“If something stands between you and your success, MOVE IT!” – quote by Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson
“Tremble before the AWESOME power of the TRUE Sun God!!” – description of the True Sun God tower in Bloons TD 6
“Let there be light.” – God in Genesis 1:3
“I pity the fool.” – a catch-phrase of the character B. A. Barachus in the TV series The A-Team; the same line was used by the character in the original Kingdom Rush
“You will be baked…” – a quote from the game Portal
“The light… is coming!” – a song by Ariana Grande
“Blinded by the light?” – a song by Manfred Mann
“It’s hammer time!” – a line from the song U Can't Touch This! by MC Hammer; the same line was used by the character in the original Kingdom Rush
“It’s not possible…” – a quote from Thor: Ragnarok

Achievements, Enemies & Easter eggs

“everything the light touches is my land” – reference to The Lion King
“Tez’ak” – anagram of Aztek
“steal all the money from the rich and give it to the poor” – reference to Robin Hood
Bastion (interactable environment) /E54 (achievement) – a character from Overwatch; the woodpecker is a reference to the animated short The Last Bastion
Jatterjay – reference to Jabberjays in The Hunger Games
“Ter-Asim” – an anagram of a part of my username, Artemis
“Rel-qui”/ Quirrel (interactable environment)/ I see only wonders… (achievement) – a character from the game Hollow Knight; the achievement is only granted if the player remains calm like him and does not disturb him
Ka-Ori Master – the initials K.O., which are used in fighting sports for ‘knockout’
“El-Setec” – an anagram of the game Celeste
“mewling quim” – a phrase used by Loki in Avengers
Flowey (interactable environment)/ Determination. (achievement) – a character in Undertale
Day of the Dead (achievement) – a festival in Mexico
Caught the Heffalump! (achievement) – Heffalumps are creatures in Winnie the Pooh who they attempt to catch in traps
Worg of Wall Street (achievement) – reference to the movie Wolf of Wall Street, but ‘Wolf’ is changed to ‘Worg’, an enemy in the original Kingdom Rush
Poppin’ Power (achievement) – reference to Bloons TD games, which also feature sun temples
Malik Chained (achievement) – reference to an achievement in Kingdom Rush Origins, ‘Malik Unchained’
"To live an age, yet remember so little... Perhaps I should be thankful? All tragedy erased. I see only wonders... " - Quirrel
You probably won't click on this but here you go anyway.
User

Re: KRV Mini-Campaign: Depths of the Jungle

by AerisDraco » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:45 am

Woah.
That was a great read, and one of the best fan-fics I've read in a long time.
Great enemies, tower, hero, and level design, plus level art, which is a fairly rare occurrence among fanfictions, I'd say.
I also think you captured the voice of Vez'nan in the level intros perfectly.

I do have critiques and questions though:
1. Does Savage Hideout poison stack?
2. I feel Narg'qwa's spells need a bit of a CD increase.
3. Is there a limit to number of placeable net traps from Narg'qwa?
4. Gold Hoarder is a weird enemy - enemies that steal gold are always weird. Is there any chance to get the gold back?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by GoddessArtemis » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:49 pm

AerisDraco wrote:Woah.
That was a great read, and one of the best fan-fics I've read in a long time.
Great enemies, tower, hero, and level design, plus level art, which is a fairly rare occurrence among fanfictions, I'd say.
I also think you captured the voice of Vez'nan in the level intros perfectly.

Thanks, I appreciate the praise. This is my first long fan fiction project and I am glad you like it. I really wanted to include a lot of jungle and the Ma'qwa as they were my favourite enemy in KRF. The level art is just shapes in Microsoft Word, I am not really an art person.

AerisDraco wrote: 1. Does Savage Hideout poison stack?

Perhaps my wording was confusing. Every new hit reapplies the poison. In other words, the timer ticking down from five seconds springs back to five seconds. So if a unit is hit with a dart, receives a tick of poison and then gets hit again, it will receive another five ticks of poison (not stacked).

AerisDraco wrote:2. I feel Narg'qwa's spells need a bit of a CD increase.

I realise this now, I was using Asra as a template but I didn't consider the trap mechanic. Maybe around 1.5 minutes?

AerisDraco wrote:3. Is there a limit to number of placeable net traps from Narg'qwa?

I didn't think about this much either. I think a long time limit (4-5 min.) or a limit of 3 should be fine.

AerisDraco wrote:4. Gold Hoarder is a weird enemy - enemies that steal gold are always weird. Is there any chance to get the gold back?

Well, it's not ideal, but I wanted at least one enemy with a gold mechanic as it is a central theme of the Ho-Kai. There is not chance to get gold back, but with slight tweaking I think it should be balanced: if you kill them wihtout them reaching a soldier, they do not pose a threat. However, they could use a health nerf to say 375.
"To live an age, yet remember so little... Perhaps I should be thankful? All tragedy erased. I see only wonders... " - Quirrel
You probably won't click on this but here you go anyway.
User

by AerisDraco » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:13 pm

GoddessArtemis wrote:The level art is just shapes in Microsoft Word, I am not really an art person.

Funny thing is, my own art is MS Paint. So I can't say much about good art. :lol:

GoddessArtemis wrote:I realise this now, I was using Asra as a template but I didn't consider the trap mechanic. Maybe around 1.5 minutes?

I thought the issue is less the CD of the trap, but rather the CD of Poison Barrage. But now that I consider that Asra's Spider Bite deals 70 d/s to a single target on a longer CD, it seems reasonable. Perhaps Shaman Protection could actually use a slight decrease to 28 or 25 seconds.

GoddessArtemis wrote:I didn't think about this much either. I think a long time limit (4-5 min.) or a limit of 3 should be fine.

Makes sense.

GoddessArtemis wrote:Well, it's not ideal, but I wanted at least one enemy with a gold mechanic as it is a central theme of the Ho-Kai. There is not chance to get gold back, but with slight tweaking I think it should be balanced: if you kill them without them reaching a soldier, they do not pose a threat. However, they could use a health nerf to say 375.

Fair enough.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic