Huge Kingdom Rush game idea

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Huge Kingdom Rush game idea

by Sirsquier » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:05 pm

So I have this huge idea for a new kr game. And I was wondering how you guys draw the levels? Thanks. :) :hero:
User

Re: Huge Kingdom Rush game idea

by RaZoR LeAf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:26 pm

This was a short tutorial I posted in my Chronicles thread.

RaZoR LeAf wrote:That reminds me, level design process as promised:

Step One - Ideas
This is one of the first levels I had planned in my head, not the design of it, but the basic idea. A winding path down the side of the mountain to the base. It needs to be complex enough that it's a bit of a challenge, but as it will also need a boss, the path needs to be long enough to allow it some time to be attacked. Look at the path size for Nazeru or Juggernaut, it's pretty big they go through most of the level but there are also several entrances.

So first off, the background colour goes on and I sketch in roughly what I want for the paths. Arrows added just for an indication of where things will be walking.

Once I'm happy, the paths get fleshed out and coloured up correctly.

Step Two - Details

Before I actually add any of the icons, I just sketch in where things are going to go. I add a bit of the details of the level scenery and pick Strategic Points.

You'll see the coloured E's for the entrances. Red is a main entrance, waves will always come from these points. Yellow is a hidden entrance, waves will come from here later on, but at the start of the level it's hidden, either the cave is closed, or there are rocks, plants, etc blocking it. Blue is for a spawn point. Enemies will spawn from here, but they won't be listed as part of the incoming waves. So we have a total of five entrances and two spawn points, all heading for one exit.

Step Three - Aesthetics

Now we're really just on the bit I call 'Make it Pretty'.

I've added in the cave and rocks that I sketched in previously, plus the strategic points.

A lot more detail in this one. More rocks, plant life, and shading on the floor.

Last but not least, the final product. ~Wave and exit icons are added in, and an ominous poisonous cloud is added to the cave entrance. Originally it was going to be a cave of gold, but the details changed in my head. The poisonous cloud is of course related to the boss, and that cloud comes out as the hidden cave entrance dissolves.
Yes it's me

by Sirsquier » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Thank you so much. Do you suggest any specific programs or will Microsoft Paint work?
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Use whatever graphics program you are comfortable with.
Yes it's me

by AerisDraco » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:24 pm

My art is exclusively done in MS Paint.
I mostly follow RaZoR's method though.

I recommend having a file of the various things you'll need to copy and paste, namely strategic points and exit/entrance indicators.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by Sirsquier » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:47 am

Thank you so much. This is all very helpful. I was so stuck on how to do levels. Now I can finally do them.
User