Recommendations?

Talk about anything game related!

Re: Recommendations?

by Chimto » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:22 am

I'd suggest this mod.
The_TaTs wrote:Anything from Warhammer should be fine.

I wouldn't recommend it. You have to shell out 200 quids to even start the game with a decent army, and that's not counting the big toys that you'll inevitably need in order to be competitive.
I'm a fan of Warhammer myself, but I find the first games--Dark Crusade, Soulstorm--way more fun. The sequels are prettier, sure, but they don't feel like RTS games at all.

There's also how the Space Marines in the first few Warhammer games are super-powerful, exactly how they should be. In the sequels, they die to Imperial Guardsmen. Which is just... horrendous, 'cause the Imperial Guardsmen are, like, low-morale, minimal-training civilians with guns, and the Space Marines are super-elite, heavily-armored fighters who do nothing but fight for the duration of their thousands-of-years lives.

I think you are confusing Warhammer with Dawn of War.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by The_TaTs » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Chimto wrote:I'd suggest this mod.
The_TaTs wrote:Anything from Warhammer should be fine.

I wouldn't recommend it. You have to shell out 200 quids to even start the game with a decent army, and that's not counting the big toys that you'll inevitably need in order to be competitive.
I'm a fan of Warhammer myself, but I find the first games--Dark Crusade, Soulstorm--way more fun. The sequels are prettier, sure, but they don't feel like RTS games at all.

There's also how the Space Marines in the first few Warhammer games are super-powerful, exactly how they should be. In the sequels, they die to Imperial Guardsmen. Which is just... horrendous, 'cause the Imperial Guardsmen are, like, low-morale, minimal-training civilians with guns, and the Space Marines are super-elite, heavily-armored fighters who do nothing but fight for the duration of their thousands-of-years lives.

I think you are confusing Warhammer with Dawn of War.

It's not exactly confusing them. Dawn of war is the name for the RTS Warhammer games. It goes without saying that if Volcano girl is asking for video games recommendations and I mention Warhammer I'm not referring to the very expensive board games. :D
User

by xstargaming » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:50 pm

The_TaTs wrote:Also... Starcraft II is not bad at all.
I would recomend Starcraft 1 because I'm old and that game changed my life, but it's probably a bit outdated for you kids.

Personally, I enjoy the first Starcraft more than the second; I find the latter rather overwrought. :)

As for recommendations, I found Spore to be quite fun -- albeit, the game is a tad old now. I also enjoyed a game series called Fate, as well as the two Torchlight games. Furthermore, I highly recommend almost anything that Blizzard has to offer, for they are unequivocal experts in the field of game-making. :D
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:57 pm

Juice Box wrote:The sequels are prettier, sure, but they don't feel like RTS games at all.

Gameplay is better than graphics, even you admit that. So, please stop being so biased about graphics. You can immerse yourself in a game world without needing good graphics.
BBB

by Chimto » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:24 am

The_TaTs wrote:It's not exactly confusing them. Dawn of war is the name for the RTS Warhammer games.

Yes it is. Warhammer the fantasy wargame is not the same thing as Warhammer 40000 the scifi wargame, on which DoW is based. I don't think we'd see any good Warhammer video games until Total War: Warhammer is released anyway (well, there are 2 M2TW mods, but I don't really like them to be honest).
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by warbot1000 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:33 pm

xstargaming wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:Also... Starcraft II is not bad at all.
I would recomend Starcraft 1 because I'm old and that game changed my life, but it's probably a bit outdated for you kids.

Personally, I enjoy the first Starcraft more than the second; I find the latter rather overwrought. :)

As for recommendations, I found Spore to be quite fun -- albeit, the game is a tad old now. I also enjoyed a game series called Fate, as well as the two Torchlight games. Furthermore, I highly recommend almost anything that Blizzard has to offer, for they are unequivocal experts in the field of game-making. :D

Hearthstone is great, :D
its a pity juice dosen't like cardgames...
Age of empires is something that i like although it is a bit buggy, Its great though. There is a storyline, characters and units that are balanced (most of them anyway), and its hard enough to be challenging while still being fun.

my ideas
http://www.ironhidegames.com/forums/vie ... =15&t=4760
I am master of the elements, student of goku and digimon king
My friends an I fight for good beware of warbot the humanrobot!!

If its not JB its not right!
User

by dimumurray » Sat May 30, 2015 5:35 pm

It's not out for another few days but I've been playing the beta version of Heroes Of The Storm and I've been enjoying it tremendously. Make sure y'all check it out when its released.
User

by xstargaming » Sat May 30, 2015 5:53 pm

dimumurray wrote:It's not out for another few days but I've been playing the beta version of Heroes Of The Storm and I've been enjoying it tremendously. Make sure y'all check it out when its released.

Indeed, as have I! It's been a decent bit of fun thus far. :D
User

by Juice Box » Sun May 31, 2015 5:24 am

Oh, yeah, played Heroes of the Storm. Found it pretty boring, to be honest.
User

by The Kingmaker » Sun May 31, 2015 7:57 am

Have you tried Don't Starve?

It's basically a survival game but it has a unique art style and humour hidden deep in the dark and gloomy world. It might be hard to get the hang of immediately, but look on the wiki or online for guides and you should be set. Once you've survived the first winter you should be ok!
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by xstargaming » Sun May 31, 2015 10:13 am

Juice Box wrote:Oh, yeah, played Heroes of the Storm. Found it pretty boring, to be honest.

At first, I thought the same, believing it was simply another MOBA like any other I had attempted in the past; yet after a while, I found that it wasn't all just pushing forward against the enemy, that there was legitimate strategy that had to be taken into account so to triumph. I suppose that fact is what caused a spark of interest in me. To avoid repetition, there's plenty of heroes to choose from, thus multiple ways in which to play the game -- the only true echo over each game is most probably in getting the same maps. Despite these points, I can concur with your opinion to some degree; I am starting to sense a growing discontent with the game, for it lacks a great enough diversity in teamwork styles and because the wins in matches are primarily determined by whichever team gains the upper-hand in leveling first.
User

by Juice Box » Sun May 31, 2015 11:08 am

Yeah, it has strategy, but there's not much that differentiates it from League of Legends or Defense of the Ancients, both of which I never really liked that much, either.
User

by xstargaming » Sun May 31, 2015 11:49 am

Juice Box wrote:Yeah, it has strategy, but there's not much that differentiates it from League of Legends or Defense of the Ancients, both of which I never really liked that much, either.

I never tried the former, but I beta-tested the latter; I cannot say I enjoyed it though. Something about this one caught my attention, however, but it's been so long since I played DOTA that I don't know quite what... :lol:
User

by dimumurray » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:59 pm

I've also been hearing great things about Splatoon.

I'm not a console guy though (currently its only available on the Nintendo Wii U). Gameplay looks pretty interesting...hope it comes to the PC sometime soon.
User

by Chimto » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:18 pm

xstargaming wrote:
Juice Box wrote:Oh, yeah, played Heroes of the Storm. Found it pretty boring, to be honest.

At first, I thought the same, believing it was simply another MOBA like any other I had attempted in the past; yet after a while, I found that it wasn't all just pushing forward against the enemy, that there was legitimate strategy that had to be taken into account so to triumph. I suppose that fact is what caused a spark of interest in me. To avoid repetition, there's plenty of heroes to choose from, thus multiple ways in which to play the game -- the only true echo over each game is most probably in getting the same maps. Despite these points, I can concur with your opinion to some degree; I am starting to sense a growing discontent with the game, for it lacks a great enough diversity in teamwork styles and because the wins in matches are primarily determined by whichever team gains the upper-hand in leveling first.

Isn't it the so-called 'baby's first ARTS'?
User

by xstargaming » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Chimto wrote:
xstargaming wrote:

Isn't it the so-called 'baby's first ARTS'?

I don't see how, for this bears little resemblance to a real-time strategy game -- nor have I ever heard it called such.
User

by Chimto » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:45 am

I suppose the big A in front of the initials 'RTS' was invisible to you? I said ARTS, not RTS. ARTS, with a big A at the start.
User

by xstargaming » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:02 am

Chimto wrote:I suppose the big A in front of the initials 'RTS' was invisible to you? I said ARTS, not RTS. ARTS, with a big A at the start.

My apologies, I did not realize ARTS and MOBA were interchangeable, for rarely have I heard the former used. Yet still, I have never heard it called such. If you could provide a reference to wherever you have seen this title give to it, I will accept your proof.
User

by Saurian » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:35 pm

What about Red Alert series? It's a fast paced strategy with lots of fun. While third game has much more intensive gameplay and graphics, I still prefer second game's yuri's revenge expansion with Mental Omega mod though. It reeeeealllly adds much onto the vanilla game.
I have a friend that bounced off from Tumblr
Razor made me an awesome avatar!
User

by Chimto » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:57 am

xstargaming wrote:Yet still, I have never heard it called such. If you could provide a reference to wherever you have seen this title give to it, I will accept your proof.

Search for 'baby's first MOBA' on Google and you can find more than what you've asked for.
User

PreviousNext