Order

Talk about anything game related!

Order

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Hello everyone! Though it is not often that I craft a game of this sort -- that is, one based in JavaScript -- yet recently I have done so: :)

http://xstargaming.com/online-games/order/order.html

This is my first "true" puzzle game. "True" since I have made others in the past, yet none could be deemed worthy of truly existing as a game. In this one, the goal is to sort the numbers horizontally in as few moves as possible. It's still quite rough; there's a lot of polishing to do and, perhaps, a number of features to be added, however I wanted to get your perspectives on it before I continued further. :D

Comments, questions, concerns, and muffins will all be accepted. :yey:
Last edited by xstargaming on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Re: Order

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:31 pm

Comments: Great, simple concept. I like that I can play this immediately when I feel like it and get really into the game.
Questions: What updates do you plan on in the future? Timers and perhaps a competitive move would be really great, and could make it stand out more in the market.
Concerns: I'm bad at this game. :P
Muffins: Made by Shrek himself:

BBB

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:37 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:Questions: What updates do you plan on in the future? Timers and perhaps a competitive mode would be really great, and could make it stand out more in the market.

Indeed, modes are currently being considered for addition into the game. I'm also looking to include a method of sharing scores through social media, as well as a "challenge" option so you can give someone the same puzzle you had to solve. :)
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:55 pm

There should also be a mode of challenge where you set up the starting positions youself, or another player challenging you does it themselves. ;)

Other mode ideas I have:
1. Every x seconds, a bomb explodes, rearranging the order of things to random degrees. Perhaps a difficulty mode could control the extent that it swaps number placement?
2. Arcade Mode: Complete the challenge once and move on to a more arduous setup with more numbers. Perhaps a new row could be added each time one level is passed.
3. Foreign Mode: Play with numbers in a different language. That's all. :P Should be the easiest to make at least. ;)
4. Item Mode: Items that recharge which allow you to do certain, useful things, like swap any 2 numbers, turn off the move counter momentarily to increase your score, etc. In mulitplayer mode, you could have an opponent with their own recharging items that can counter the player's actions, and player 1 can do the same as his or her opponent plays the game himself or herself.
5. Memory Mode: Show the player all of the numbers at the start or the game, and when they first move a number, they all flip over so that you can't see them and have to rememebe what numbers were in which locations. :twisted:
Last edited by Big Bad Bug on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBB

by Zonoro13 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:01 pm

It's so hard ;-;
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Zonoro13 wrote:It's so hard ;-;

I once finished it in 43 moves, but it really does depend on how it's generated. :lol: :)

You shall succeed! :D
User

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:01 pm

I've made a quick update to the game that allows you to share your puzzle with someone else and the game on various social media sites. :D
User

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:21 am

I've begun working on modes for the game, but I'm also focusing on distribution; being that it's a Javascript web game, perhaps I should put it on a subdomain of my new website? For example: order.loganapple.com :)

Would something like that appeal, or should I find some other location to put it once completed?
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:03 pm

xstargaming wrote:I've begun working on modes for the game, but I'm also focusing on distribution; being that it's a Javascript web game, perhaps I should put it on a subdomain of my new website? For example: order.loganapple.com :)

Would something like that appeal, or should I find some other location to put it once completed?

Put the game EVERYWHERE!!! :o :yey:

In all seriousness, I don't know what effects putting it in your website would do. Many people might not find it unless your website is really popular for some reason, but where else can it be put that's free is what I'm wondering. The big game websites like Kongregate and such have rules that I know nothing about, as is with the app store. It wouldn't be detrimental in any way to put it in your website, so I supposw you can go ahead. :)
BBB

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:16 pm

You see, due to its format, I have to host it on my own website; it will -- well, I hope -- become popular through sharing. Kongregate and other websites of that sort only accept Flash games, to my knowledge. Also, I'd love to release this for the app store, alas my virtual Mac is dysfunctional for the moment and I still haven't located my iPad.

Before I do anything further with it though, I need to finish it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :D
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:04 pm

I can tap anywhere on the screen, even very far away from the middle where the numbers are present, and the game still counts that as a move and will relocate a digit accordingly.

Also, I got the numbers backwards:

BBB

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:I can tap anywhere on the screen, even very far away from the middle where the numbers are present, and the game still counts that as a move and will relocate a digit accordingly.

Also, I got the numbers backwards:

I'm attempting to get a div wrapped just around the grids, but unfortunately it currently extends to the edges of the screen. I have managed to confine it so to not include the title, instructions, and footer however. :)

Also, the likelihood of that happening is 1/362880 I believe. ;)
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:49 pm

I should think that every possibility is 1 over 8 factorial since there are 8 numbers to choose from. ;) However, probability mathematics isn't my strong point, as the only slightly remarkable thing I know about it is all of the factorials from 1 to 12 off the top of my head. So, I could be wrong. :geek:
BBB

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:53 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:I should think that every possibility is 1 over 8 factorial since there are 8 numbers to choose from. ;) However, probability mathematics isn't my strong point, as the only slightly remarkable thing I know about it is all of the factorials from 1 to 12 off the top of my head. So, I could be wrong. :geek:

You're quite close! It's 1/9 factorial since there are 9 (including the blank space) locations where numbers can be set. ;)
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:57 pm

I meant to type 9 but hit 8 instead by accident, and when I looked back at my post before submitting, I saw the 8 and changed everything to fit with that number without realizing the 8 was the mistake and not everything else. :oops: :lol:

*Walks away in shame*

... Anyways, back on topic, what mode are you currently/first going to work on? :)
BBB

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:04 pm

I'm considering either the arcade or memory mode you suggested -- the latter of which had crossed my mind already. :)
User

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:30 pm

It's not gorgeous, but I've added in modes! Well, I've added in a mode: memory. This works for both 3x3 and 4x4 grids! :D

EDIT: I take it back, it's not working for 4x4 grids. I have no clue as to why, but I shall look into it.
User

by xstargaming » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:40 pm

Okay, I've scrapped modes for now due to some major issues I've realized in player usage. If (likely so) and when modes return in the near future, they will be for 3x3 grids only.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:29 pm

4x4 memory mode was on par with Battletoads' surfing level in terms of difficulty. :shock:
BBB

by warbot1000 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:09 pm

I cant move the numbers on any mode :(
It might just be my computer though.
are the numbers meant to be over the text on the page?

my ideas
http://www.ironhidegames.com/forums/vie ... =15&t=4760
I am master of the elements, student of goku and digimon king
My friends an I fight for good beware of warbot the humanrobot!!

If its not JB its not right!
User

Next