Tera

Talk about anything game related!

Tera

by Juice Box » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:42 am

I don't usually advertise games, but when I do, that means the game is really good.

So. Tera.

Tera's a massive multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). It's set in a high-fantasy environment, meaning Elves and Orcs and stuff, but has multiple science-fiction elements. It has seven playable races (though only four are decent), and eleven playable classes. It's a solid 28.3GB on Steam, and is completely free-to-play.

Pros:
- Huge environment. I mean. Huge. This game is 28.3GB for a reason. The game has around 20 areas, and each area has an extremely excessive amount of locations, quests, and enemies to fight. I mean, literally excessive. Think of Prototype's city: each of the 20 areas is easily more than that size.
- Large number of extremely dynamic enemies. The game offers a very, very wide variety of enemies to fight against (literally more than a hundred different enemy classifications, each classification having one to ten enemies or so), and the best part is, they're all extremely dynamic. You'll have to analyze the fighting style of each enemy if you want to fare well against them. Some enemies attack very fast, some enemies dodge most of your attacks, some enemies prefer to tank everything you throw at them, and some enemies are just naturally big-ass monsters. But the point is to adapt to all of them, and find a way to beat them with the class you're using. Which brings us to...
- Classes with extremely differing playstyles. The game has eleven classes, and each brings something new to the table. Every class has a wide array of unique skills, attacks and stats that make sure it's different from other classes. In fact, one of the usual complaints about this game is that it's often hard to adapt to two classes at once. People get so used to mastering just one playstyle that they find it hard to switch to another.
- Character customization. You are given the freedom to choose your character's race, class, facial structure, voice, and loads of other neato things.
- Amazing graphics. For a free-to-play game, Tera has visuals as good as its console counterparts, and that's saying a lot. It could do much better in the audio department, but this is still offset by the game's seriously good eye candy.
- You don't need to pay a dime. It's all completely free. The only things you need to pay for are usually trivial, like unique clothing, and more character slots on the same server. But gameplay itself, which is the best part of the game, is not at all restricted by how much money you put into this. Everything you will ever need is unlockable.

Cons:
- Extremely sexualized. For both men and women. Some characters have extremely revealing and impractical attire. They even fight in that. Also, the Elin in general, one of the game's seven races. They're basically a pedophile's dream. Little girl, bunny ears, huge eyes and thighs.
- Long grind. You unlock new skills, weapons and abilities very often, and gameplay is so fun it doesn't feel like you're grinding, but it's still technically a grind.
- Areas are way too vast. They seriously overdid how huge this world is. I mean, sometimes I just want to get in on the action, you know? I get that the world is huge, but please, just let me hit stuff.

Classes:
My favorite part of the game is the superb classes. I've only played as the Warrior and the Slayer, but the intense fun and diversity within each class makes me want to play as all of them.

Warrior
Considered as the hardest class in the game, the Warrior functions as an Evasion and Immobilization Tank, and an Offensive Crowd-Control Damage-Dealer. As their weapon of choice, they wield two twinswords. Their damage is very minimal, but they more than make up for this by A) attacking extremely fast, B) hitting multiple enemies at once, and C) having lots of stun abilities. They are limited in terms of health, but they make up for this by having powerful defensive capabilities, that allow them to move fast, evade or parry attacks, and, on the rare chance you're hit, counter with your own attacks.

Slayer
The Slayer functions both as an Offensive Crowd-Control Damage-Dealer Support, and an Offensive Single-Target Immobilization Dueler. As their weapon of choice, they wield a large greatsword. They attack a moderate pace, but when necessary, can dish out powerful abilities that deal great amounts of damage, at a cost of mana and wind-up time. They don't attack slow, per se, but if you really want to get those loads of damage you know you want, you'll need to use the Slayer's heavyload abilities. Thankfully, they're also considered a Support for a reason--they have a large amount of stun abilities that give their wind-up time abilities the few essential moments they need.

Berserker
The Berserker functions both as a Mitigation and Evasion Tank, and an Offensive Damage-Dealer. As their weapon of choice, they wield a large battleaxe. They aren't extremely mobile, nor do they attack fast, but they make up for this by dealing intense amounts of damage. That's... their main job, really. To go berserk at enemy units. But don't misinterpret this: a Berserker knows how to take a hit. It's just that they're likely to dish it back harder. They have a very diverse set of abilities that all mostly focus on hitting the enemy, and, well, they sort of defy the game's logic of analyzing enemy tactics and movements. They go in, they kill, they get out. That's the basic Berserker portfolio.

Lancer
The Lancer functions mostly as a Tank. Like, that's their main focus. They fulfill the role of Frontline, Mitigation, and Evasion Tank, with a touch of Mitigation Support. Their weapon of choice is a shield and a lance. They're really slow, but rarely do they need to move: Lancers are expected to hold their ground until they die, and trust me, they rarely die. They don't have much in terms of direct damage, but that's because they rely on their Warrior and Berserker friends to kill enemies for them. It's their job to keep them alive by absorbing damage with their ridiculously large health bar.

Brawler
This class actually hasn't been released yet, but already I want to use it. Let's face it. That girl looks badass. There's no use denying it. She may have impractical clothing, but, whatever, she looks badass. Obviously, Brawlers use two large Fists to completely pwn enemies with badassiness and coolio pwn-ness. Plus, she looks badass. Not much has been revealed about her role, but that's okay, she looks badass. Oh, and did I mention she looks badass?

Just. Badass.

Reaper
Reaper. Mid-Range. Offensive. Crowd-Control. Damage-Per-Second. Hybrid. Immobilization. Basically the Kronos of this game. They like jumping around. They have chain-blades. They can't take a hit but that's okay 'cause they probably won't get hit, anyway. They're melee but long-range. Yeah. Make sense of that. Also, enemies get stunned a lot around them. Neeto. Yay.

Sorcerer
Mobile artillery. Lots of damage. Ranged. Magic. They can't take a hit because they're nublets. They're also considered the easiest class of the game. Even easier than those wimp Archers. But yeah. They're nublets who can't take a hit, and cowards who can't fight upfront. They can dish out damage, but they're not all that fast and they need protection. Their weapon of choice is a disc, and that disc somehow channels magical capabilities, but screw that they're wimps. Nublet mages. Urgh.

Mystic
They summon lots of allies 'cause they can't fight on their own. They stun a lot. They have lots of healing capabilities to use on themselves and on allies, but screw that they can't fight on their own. They use some shrimpy staff instead of supercool, badass twinswords like a real soldier. Like I said, they have their own little legion of thralls that can fight enemies for them, and they have, you know, some offensive spells just so they can say they're not entirely helpless. But yeah. They're support nublets. They are evil. Don't use them.

Priest
Evil. They heal. And support. Most of their abilities support. Hah, as if Warriors ever need support. 'Cause, you know. We're too badass for that. But hey. They want to feel like they're helping out, fine.

Gunner
Yes. Badass. Love 'em. As futuristic as the Brawler. They've got heavy armor, badass suits, and huge-ass guns. Show love, not hate, and don't underestimate. They can create robotic allies that support them and fight for them, and they make things go boom. Like, they make lots of things go boom. Even their own robots sometimes. They make 'em go boom. But yeah. They've got guns and they make things go boom. Boom boom.

Boom.

I mean, come on. They're hot, they're badass, and they make things go boom.

Boooooooooooooooooom.

Archer
I don't need to explain this one. Like magic, bows are for the weak. Anyone who opts to use this class is obviously inferior, even though they, you know... sort of beat me a lot in PvP... I MEAN WHAT OBVIOUSLY I LET THEM WIN

'CAUSE YOU KNOW THEY LOSE SO MUCH WITH THEIR SHRIMPY ARCHER SKILLS

THAT THEY YOU KNOW

DESERVE TO WIN FOR ONCE

AHEM

IT'S NOT LIKE I CAN'T CATCH THEM OR ANYTHING

EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE LIKE REALLY MOBILE I CAN CATCH THEM

I JUST LET THEM WIN

YEAH

Anyways, that's Tera for you. Here's a Gunner Wallpaper as a reward, because, come on. Gunners. Boom.

Boom.

Here's a link to the Steam page if you want to download it. Though, you should. You know. For the Gunners.

For the boom.

Boom.

^^This Castanic is now watching you. Download or die.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
User

Re: Tera

by xstargaming » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:28 am

I believe I've heard of the game before, but I've never played it. While it does sound interesting, the graphical style doesn't really appeal to me; it looks akin to a Korean style game, whose graphics I often find distasteful. I shall examine it further, but it seems to me that in a world so large, quests must be an issue? Waypoints can't be too close to one another, so moving throughout such a world would, as you mentioned, take a great deal of time. Such would likely become boring quite swiftly, even if every area in the world was unique environmentally. The player base would also have to be huge to accommodate its size, since without one PvP and team battles would be nonexistent. Also -- being that it is free-to-play -- there must be micro-transactions or advertisements within the game so the company can make a profit? Moreover, is there any story to this world? I presume as much, but the lore would have to be incredibly detailed, accounting for every land therein and its features. I shall consider further.
User

by Zonoro13 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:12 am

What class to play? Wat good? Good game.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Finwer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:50 pm

I think I played this once at a friend for a bit? There is somehow a race with some fat animal like..guys?
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Kowaghuz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:08 pm

I

2anime4me

II

2large4my compewter

III

A third of the races look like kitsunes and another third look like demons. The rest are humans(acceptable) and elves(More original than the other 6gorrilion types of elves. Come the hell on, subvert elves just a damn tiny bit, stop copy-pasting them!)

IV

2sexy4me. I think I can count on the fingers of my hand MMO's that don't sexualize women. Seeing how they're made to appeal to depraved neckbeards, this is(barely) passable

V

No dorfs. I'd rather try out RIFT(Actually, I wouldn't. I'm not into MMO's anyway.)

Wait a second, gunners?

You mean muskets and technology? A renaissance setting?

Hell, I might just check this one out.
User

by Juice Box » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:10 pm

@Finwer

Yup. The Popori. Like I said, the game has seven races, but only four are really worth playing as (The Humans, the Elves, the Castanic, and the Aman). Don't worry, though: the remaining four are hefty cool, and bring a lot of fun to the games.

@Zonoro

Can't really say. It all depends on your playstyle, I guess? Like, what you enjoy playing as in RPGs?

@X

Nope, the vast world isn't much of an issue. You have teleportation devices in-game that let you get to locations quickly. You also have a mount that lets you travel really fast when you're not in-combat, if that suits your thing. It's only a problem when the thing between you and your quest location is a mob of enemies, which... happens more than you think. But like I said, this is offset by superbly fun gameplay.

Also, nope, no advertisements whatsoever. Also, like I said, the only things you pay for are the things you don't need: decorations for your character, decorations for your mount, etc. Everything you need, like weapons and armor and skills, are all unlockable.

And yes, the game runs fairly smoothly. It's got quite a number of servers which make sure that nothing overloads with data.

Lastly, about the story, I wouldn't really know. There are a number of cutscenes in the game, but I usually just skip them. From what I've seen, there is a story, but I haven't really been paying attention to it :b .

@Kowa

The game is actually pretty un-anime. The only race that was based off anime is the Elin, who are only, like, one of hundreds in the game. Look at pics before you say stuff like that.

Also, like I said, only four of the playable races are actually worth looking at. The "kitsune's," or the Elin and the Popori (please try to be considerate with your wording, not everyone understands your metaphors), are obviously a no. The demon-people, though, are actually one of the more popular choices. The Castanic are the most popular choice of race, and a good set of players are Aman.

And Elves in this game are... actually the bad guys. They were assholes who invaded the Humans, and are only working with them now because they figured it's the least dangerous thing to do as of the moment. So there.

No Dwarves because everyone knows Dwarves suck. And the Castanic fill the role of the arrogant and loyal race. Except, like, ten times better. And everyone knows it.

The sexism... yeah, can't deny that. But as I said, atleast it's not sexist solely towards women. Many of the male characters have revealing clothing, as well. Though, of course, you can always choose to give them decent clothing, should you deem so.

And no, not a renaissance setting. More... futuristic. Like, think Protoss from Starcraft futuristic. Gunners and Brawlers are basically that, along with some other pieces of the game (the Argons, Teleporters, some enemies, etc).
User

by xstargaming » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Juice Box wrote:@X

Nope, the vast world isn't much of an issue. You have teleportation devices in-game that let you get to locations quickly. You also have a mount that lets you travel really fast when you're not in-combat, if that suits your thing. It's only a problem when the thing between you and your quest location is a mob of enemies, which... happens more than you think. But like I said, this is offset by superbly fun gameplay.

Also, nope, no advertisements whatsoever. Also, like I said, the only things you pay for are the things you don't need: decorations for your character, decorations for your mount, etc. Everything you need, like weapons and armor and skills, are all unlockable.

And yes, the game runs fairly smoothly. It's got quite a number of servers which make sure that nothing overloads with data.

Lastly, about the story, I wouldn't really know. There are a number of cutscenes in the game, but I usually just skip them. From what I've seen, there is a story, but I haven't really been paying attention to it :b .

Indeed, teleportation and mounts best allow for world connection. I presume then that there are large cities (or something of the like) where many players often gather to combat one another, trade, or otherwise engage? Also, I find it amazing that any free-to-play game could survive solely on micro-transactions, but I suppose this is simply another example of such. Thank you for addressing my inquiries.
User

by Juice Box » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:36 pm

GUYS COME OOOOOOON

WE SHOULD ALL PLAY TERA LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO
User

by Finwer » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:12 am

Juice Box wrote:GUYS COME OOOOOOON

WE SHOULD ALL PLAY TERA LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ok I'm going to download it as soon as I get more time.
User

by Finwer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:01 pm

I just made my account and installed the game. I didn't have time to play it tho.
EDIT:The game "isn't available in my region" on steam so I'm downloading the game from the official site. Can we still play together right?
Last edited by Finwer on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

by Fenrir » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:58 pm

I've been at my cottage for a month now but I'm leaving in 3 days and I'll download it when I get home, a baraka/berserker seems appealing to me, though I wish that they had a class in which you can deal heavy damage quickly, but lack nearly all defense and your skills take away your hp/lower your defense but deal a ton of damage, that would be my dream class. I agree with JB that ranged attackers are weak and afraid of combat :twisted:
WAZZZZZUP!!!
User

by Juice Box » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:09 am

@Above

The Warrior deals lots of damage really fast. That's sort of its main thing. At the same time, it has several abilities that lower its own health at the cost of weakening an enemy or dealing more damage.

So yeah. Maybe that works.
User

by Finwer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:46 am

So should I bother installing the game if I can't play the steam version?
User

by deoxsis12 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:58 pm

Sounds great! The slayer and the reaper look like their really fun. I'm goimg to check it out.
Grawl for president! Get your free pet rock today!

Mission Report December 16 1991...
User

by Juice Box » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Finwer wrote:So should I bother installing the game if I can't play the steam version?

I think the servers stay the same regardless of whether or not you're playing on Steam, so... yeah, I guess.
User

by Fenrir » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Juice Box wrote:@Above

The Warrior deals lots of damage really fast. That's sort of its main thing. At the same time, it has several abilities that lower its own health at the cost of weakening an enemy or dealing more damage.

So yeah. Maybe that works.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll be a warrior :)
Also, can you get a pet/mount wolf?
WAZZZZZUP!!!
User

by Finwer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:39 am

Ok so what server to I enter in now?
User

by Juice Box » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:51 pm

Finwer wrote:Ok so what server to I enter in now?

Tempest Reach. That's where I'm at.
User

by Zonoro13 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:56 pm

I'm getting the game, I think I'll be a zerk or an archer. They seem easy to play. Is that true?
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Juice Box » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:13 am

Zonoro13 wrote:I'm getting the game, I think I'll be a zerk or an archer. They seem easy to play. Is that true?

The Archer's treated as the easiest class to play as, while the Berserker is seen as the most fun. People seem to really like the whole idea of not giving a fruit about game mechanics, and, you know, just flat-out killing everything.
User

Next