Third Age: Total War

Talk about anything game related!

Third Age: Total War

by Chimto » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Does anyone here play TATW? For those who don't know, it's a mod for Medieval II: Total War set in Tolkien's Middle-earth during the War of the Ring. Everything you’ve loved about the classic Total War game is here, just in Middle-earth fashion.

I have had this game for a couple of years now and I only got back into it recently. And it's a pretty good game - excellent total conversion of the original and they really did a great job with the map/skins etc. If someone came to me asking what Tolkien strategy game I’d recommend… well, I’d say buy M2TW and download this along with MOS/DAC (both submods that improve the mod to the point I wouldn't recommend playing vanilla TATW without them). It’s a magnificent example of how wonderful modding can be. If you’re a fan of strategy, and you think you can do a better job commanding the armies of either Sauron or the Free Peoples, you should give this mod a try.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

Re: Third Age: Total War

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:12 pm

I've seen some of RuudDevil's matches against the AI with that mod, though he doesn't have many. It didn't spark my interest since I didn't know about the TW series at all until hearing about it from him, so I didn't know how great of an adaptation it was from the base game. With your recommendation, I'll look more into it. :)

Do you have a favourite faction?
BBB

Re: Third Age: Total War

by Chimto » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:34 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:I've seen some of RuudDevil's matches against the AI with that mod, though he doesn't have many. It didn't spark my interest since I didn't know about the TW series at all until hearing about it from him, so I didn't know how great of an adaptation it was from the base game. With your recommendation, I'll look more into it. :)

Just don't forget to download one of the two submods I linked in the OP. I have pretty much stopped with vanilla TATW since DAC got its first semi-complete release.
Big Bad Bug wrote:Do you have a favourite faction?

I don't know; probably Dorwinion in DAC. An interesting starting location with some awesome looking units, interesting scripts and can be a challenge early game if you lose some key battles. Although if you're new to TW I strongly recommend against playing this faction since its campaign lies on the more difficult side.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User