help me polish my Pokemon concept

Talk about anything game related!

help me polish my Pokemon concept

by Magnus0 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:03 pm

http://i.imgur.com/2SPupms.png?1

Description
It´s a water/ice type pokemon with features of both a husky and a polar fox. It's the third stage of a starter pokemon. I'm not really sure what the first stage would look like, but I am sure that it would be called Flufsky.

Gracolar is a graceful and majestic pokemon, but it can be tricky and deceiving if it needs to. It's streamlined body and thick tail makes it a fast diver and swimmer, although it has some problems speeding up in the water if it doesn't accelerate on land first. It's fur keeps it warm in the cold environment it lives in.

The main problem I have with my own design is that it doesn't really strike as a water and ice type, which is partially because of my lack of drawing skills. I'm not really sure what I can add to the design to make it stand out more, so some feedback is appreciated.

movepool
The movepool is a very important factor for me to like a pokemon. Gracolar is specifically designed to not suck, so I came up with a movepool and stat distribution that lends it many options. It has a signature move called quench, which works exactly like scald, but instead of possibly burning the target, it freezes it solid. Here is a list of the most notable moves that Gracolar learns.

Main stab moves: quench, surf, hyrdro pump - blizzard, ice beam, freeze-dry, frost breath
Main coverage moves: Moonblast - aura sphere - shadow ball
Boosting moves: calm mind, agility - howl, work up - nasty plot
Main utility moves: baton pass, encore, wish - taunt - aurora veil, hail - aqua ring - trick

Gracolar can run sweeper sets with it's powerful stabs and coverage, along with a boosting move. It can also run different kinds of incredibly annoying serene grace + quench sets to make passing boosts or wishes really easy.

Would you use it on your team?
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: rage valley, where I slay endless waves of orcs

Re: help me polish my Pokemon concept

by AerisDraco » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Hmm...
This gives me an interesting idea.
We could use this thread as a kind of Pokemon concept thread, for those interested (namely myself, Magnus, Manijure, Kingmaker, and RaZoR from what I've gathered).

As for Gracolar, what hidden ability would it have? Based on the description, I would suggest Swift Swim, or perhaps Slush Rush, or something unique.

Edit: I realize it was written in the picture. Duh.
But still, given it's description, I feel as though Swift Swim would make more sense.
KRA is not over. Not if I have anything to say about it.
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Northern Cuba (Miami)

Re: help me polish my Pokemon concept

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:31 pm

As far as the design goes, it doesn't look like a final form starter, more the second stage. The first stage would be a little husky puppy with a small fluffy tail. Then this design as second with the larger but more streamlined tail. It's final form I imagine as a larger more majestic looking husky with a very large almost squirrel like, fluffy tail that seems to surround it. The huge fluffy tail covers its body on dry land to keep it warm, but when it dives it flattens down into a long flat tail that has qualities of a fish tail.

As for moves, they're not my area of expertise. I pick my Pokemon on looks more than how well they balance in battle. I don't play competitively so stats aren't something I focus on. But rather than listing them in groups, why not do them by level up from the first form. That way you can make a better balance rather than just listing its good moves. Include a TM list too, and just add/remove moves to put in made up ones.

Where does the 'Gra' in the name come from? Obviously the rest is from Polar but I can't place the first part.

AerisDraco wrote:Hmm...
This gives me an interesting idea.
We could use this thread as a kind of Pokemon concept thread, for those interested (namely myself, Magnus, Manijure, Kingmaker, and RaZoR from what I've gathered).


Make our own pokedex? It would be fun, I've made up a load in the past, illustrated some recently for Pokemon based on the things in my place of work, and started preliminary designs of a Welsh pokedex.
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 2440
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: help me polish my Pokemon concept

by Magnus0 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 pm

AerisDraco wrote:Hmm...
This gives me an interesting idea.
We could use this thread as a kind of Pokemon concept thread, for those interested (namely myself, Magnus, Manijure, Kingmaker, and RaZoR from what I've gathered).

As for Gracolar, what hidden ability would it have? Based on the description, I would suggest Swift Swim, or perhaps Slush Rush, or something unique.

Edit: I realize it was written in the picture. Duh.
But still, given it's description, I feel as though Swift Swim would make more sense.

Sure, Gracolar can swim fast, but it's not like he would be able to swim particularly faster during the rain. Gracolar also lives in places where it never rains, since all the rain that would fall, would fall as snow, so slush rush would make more sense.

Serene grace offers much more utility than the situational slush rush, and the word 'grace' is literally in its name, so serene grace makes sense to me.

RaZoR LeAf wrote:As far as the design goes, it doesn't look like a final form starter, more the second stage. The first stage would be a little husky puppy with a small fluffy tail. Then this design as second with the larger but more streamlined tail. It's final form I imagine as a larger more majestic looking husky with a very large almost squirrel like, fluffy tail that seems to surround it. The huge fluffy tail covers its body on dry land to keep it warm, but when it dives it flattens down into a long flat tail that has qualities of a fish tail.

As for moves, they're not my area of expertise. I pick my Pokemon on looks more than how well they balance in battle. I don't play competitively so stats aren't something I focus on. But rather than listing them in groups, why not do them by level up from the first form. That way you can make a better balance rather than just listing its good moves. Include a TM list too, and just add/remove moves to put in made up ones.

Where does the 'Gra' in the name come from? Obviously the rest is from Polar but I can't place the first part.

AerisDraco wrote:Hmm...
This gives me an interesting idea.
We could use this thread as a kind of Pokemon concept thread, for those interested (namely myself, Magnus, Manijure, Kingmaker, and RaZoR from what I've gathered).


Make our own pokedex? It would be fun, I've made up a load in the past, illustrated some recently for Pokemon based on the things in my place of work, and started preliminary designs of a Welsh pokedex.


The fact that he looks kind of underdesigned is mostly because I just can't draw any better...

The tail isn't very fluffy on purpose, to keep the streamlined flow in its design. I also wanted to make him a bit unique by making him relatively small for a starter, but with how underddesigned the rest of its body is, the whole thing feels a bit lackluster.

I posted this same thread on a competitive forum, where movepool means EVERYTHING, so that's why I only listed the noteworthy moves. I have a grass and a fire starter in mind too, so I'll make a whole movepool by level up for those, if I can find the time.

Also, gra comes from grace or graceful.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: rage valley, where I slay endless waves of orcs

Re: help me polish my Pokemon concept

by Minuet » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:09 am

RaZoR LeAf wrote:Make our own pokedex? It would be fun, I've made up a load in the past, illustrated some recently for Pokemon based on the things in my place of work, and started preliminary designs of a Welsh pokedex.


AAaaaaahh count me in.
Back To The Shadows of Hell ~ Be Quick Or Be Dead ~ Let's Get Shooting ~ Natha Daged Dhaer ~ Clear Your Mind ~ Crimson Skies
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:47 pm
Location: Always nearby.

Re: help me polish my Pokemon concept

by AerisDraco » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:31 am

Considering there's ample interest (Manijure has said he'd be interested), should I make a thread for it?
KRA is not over. Not if I have anything to say about it.
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Northern Cuba (Miami)

Re: help me polish my Pokemon concept

by Magnus0 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:01 am

AerisDraco wrote:Considering there's ample interest (Manijure has said he'd be interested), should I make a thread for it?

Sure, go ahead.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: rage valley, where I slay endless waves of orcs

Re: help me polish my Pokemon concept

by The Kingmaker » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:35 pm

Personally I agree with RaZoR as to the design, but it being just a little fluffier would suffice

Where would it's stats be would you say?

Perhaps to not let it compete against surf and scald, quench could perhaps be an ice type move that is super effective against fire types, so that the contest is between an two ice type moves with different supereffectiveness and not a water move that freezes against a water move that burns. If not, I'd say it learning scald is a bit odd, but it's not anything worth removing. Also while I get it's not supposed to be physical, giving it waterfall/liquidation, ice shard/aqua jet and the fangs would widen its move pool a lot, and something like bulk up would be a fun gimmick.
As would splash actually, it fits because it's an animal used to water and swimming, and Z-Splash would work great with the moves I outlined prior. Contiuining the theme of wolves and the moon, Moonlight alongside moon last could be nice
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."
Image

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: A stage (but all the world's a stage)

Re: help me polish my Pokemon concept

by Magnus0 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:27 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:Personally I agree with RaZoR as to the design, but it being just a little fluffier would suffice

Where would it's stats be would you say?

Perhaps to not let it compete against surf and scald, quench could perhaps be an ice type move that is super effective against fire types, so that the contest is between an two ice type moves with different supereffectiveness and not a water move that freezes against a water move that burns. If not, I'd say it learning scald is a bit odd, but it's not anything worth removing. Also while I get it's not supposed to be physical, giving it waterfall/liquidation, ice shard/aqua jet and the fangs would widen its move pool a lot, and something like bulk up would be a fun gimmick.
As would splash actually, it fits because it's an animal used to water and swimming, and Z-Splash would work great with the moves I outlined prior. Contiuining the theme of wolves and the moon, Moonlight alongside moon last could be nice

I included the stats in the picture.

HP: 90
Attack: 60
Defense: 70
Special attack: 110
Special defense: 85
Speed: 115

So fast and fairly strong on the special side, with usable-ish defenses.

I like the concept of quench being an ice type attack that is super effective against fire, but it would be incredibly redundant on a pokemon that's also part water type. I don't think that Gracolar gains much from having an ice attack that threatens fire types. Quench also cannot compete with scald, because Gracolar doesn't learn scald at all.

Gracolar definitely is capable of learning physical moves, I just didn't mention them because they don't have much use competitively. I'd figure that flufsky and the second stage would actually be more physically based, learning moves like bite, ice fang and aqua jet (like you mentioned). I'm not really sure if bulk up would fit gracolar. It would be a cool option to pass to a teammate with baton pass, but Gracolar isn't very bulky and physical to learn a move like bulk up. Z splash and moonlight really fit though.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: rage valley, where I slay endless waves of orcs

Re: help me polish my Pokemon concept

by The Kingmaker » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:27 pm

No bulk up is fine, although swords dance would be good for a BP also.

Fur Coat as its hidden ability would be an excellent choice defensively, but I'm not sure if its the most fitting.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."
Image

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User avatar
User
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: A stage (but all the world's a stage)


Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests