7%
Prairie Dog (Ground/Psychic)
11%
Pronghorn (Fighting/Steel)
15%

Total votes : 27

Re: Ironhide CAP Project

by Magnus0 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:59 pm

Are we going to cover balance changes too? like type resistances and such?

The pokemon games are fairly well balanced competitively, most types have their uses, be it offensively or defensively. However, there are a couple of types that can be considered OP or UP compared to other types.

The three types with the least amount of flaws and the most amount of positive traits are fairy, steel and water. Pokemon of those three types are incredibly easy to put on your team because they offer a large amount of resistances and only a few weaknesses that are generally not hard to cover up. Steel especially offers many resistances, and water and fairy offer solid offensive coverage. Ghost and Dragon come close because both types have only two other types that resist their attacks.

The types that are generally considered as 'bad' or 'lackluster' are Ice (the most UP type in the game), grass, normal, bug and psychic. Ice is nice offensively, but absolutely horrid defensively. Ice types offer only one resistance, so they are very hard to put on your team. Grass types have some good traits, but they have so many weaknesses and so many types resist grass that pokemon of the grass type often have trouble earning a spot on your team. The bug type is very similar to grass in that regard, but it also doesn't help that bug types generally have really bad stats. Psychic was once the most OP type in the game, but since the introduction of dark and steel types it has suffered. Psychic is OK offensively and not very impressive defensively. Normal is just really meh, not really bad, not really good, just meh. The type has almost no interaction with other types, so a normal type has to have other assets than it's typing to be worth using on your team.

If we are going to do balance changes to balance our dex around, these would be my suggestions:

- Ice gets a resistance to both water and fairy. It makes little sense that spraying water at an ice type does neutral damage, but freezing up water with an ice attack is not very effective. It's basically the same thing (ice is still water). Ice getting a resistance to fairy is purely based on balance.

with two extra resistances to good offensive typing, Ice types finally get some room to breath. They get more switch-in opportunities, and defensively oriented ice types like articuno and avalugg can finally put their good bulk to use. (for reference, Articuno was in the PU tier before SuMo, where the worst of the worst pokemon reside, while combusken and fletchinder where in NU and RU respectively).

- flying loses it's super-effectiveness against grass. I never really understood why flying was super effective against grass in the first place, I mean, most birds don't eat plants, and the ones that do (berries, fruits, etc.) are actually doing the plant a favor by spreading it's seeds.

This is more of a buff to grass than a nerf to flying. Flying has amazing neutral coverage anyway, even with this small nerf, but grass gets more switch-in opportunities. Most grass types are defensive, so losing a weakness definitely helps their staying power.

- fairy loses its resistance to bug. This is mostly due to balance, there are literally six other types that resist bug already so there's no reason why fairy should have a resistance against bug too.

Bug probably continues to be lackluster offensively, but fairy at least gets another (small) nerf.

- bug gets a resistance to ghost. bugs are simple creatures, they are not bothered by scary ghost terrorizing their thoughts.

Ghost is very hard to cover, because only the rare dark type and the lackluster normal type resist it. Giving bug a resistance to such a good offensive type makes it a little more appealing to put a bug on your team.

Maybe it's a bit too much of a hassle to discuss about balance changes for this project, but it would be nice to have a more balanced type chart to work with. What do y'all think?
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by AerisDraco » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:40 am

I don't know much of competitive myself, but the changes do look good.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by RaZoR LeAf » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Magnus0 wrote:Maybe it's a bit too much of a hassle to discuss about balance changes for this project, but it would be nice to have a more balanced type chart to work with. What do y'all think?

Would they have any influence on designing the Pokemon, which is all we are doing. We're not revolutionising the meta game here with our own playable version. I don't see how changing effectiveness makes the slightest difference to the project.
Yes it's me

by AerisDraco » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Okay, back to designs:
The forest/plains has the most (6), listed here:
-Fairy/Ground Hobbit
-Normal/Poison Shrew
-Poison Spider {Poison/Dark}
-Ground/Grass Squirrel
-Normal Sheep
-Bug/Dark Black Widow
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by RaZoR LeAf » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:58 pm

The squirrel would make a good Pikachu-like, unless we want to make another electric type knock off.
Yes it's me

by Magnus0 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:17 pm

RaZoR LeAf wrote:
Magnus0 wrote:Maybe it's a bit too much of a hassle to discuss about balance changes for this project, but it would be nice to have a more balanced type chart to work with. What do y'all think?

Would they have any influence on designing the Pokemon, which is all we are doing. We're not revolutionising the meta game here with our own playable version. I don't see how changing effectiveness makes the slightest difference to the project.

It's more like, we don't have to give all the bugs and ice types amazing abilities or stats to make them usable. Crabominable for example , is absolutely horrible.

I guess this brings me back to my 'if a pokemon no reason to be used at all by anyone, it mights as well not exist as a pokemon' thing. Have you ever beaten the game with a luvdisc, lumionion or dunsparce? I honestly think that most of the casual fan base doesn't even remember those pokemon.

Because this project is only theoretical, it's not so big of a deal, but still.

RaZoR LeAf wrote:The squirrel would make a good Pikachu-like, unless we want to make another electric type knock off.

I don't mind breaking the tradition of having the pikachu clone be an electric type. It could also be a linerean Pachirisu.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by Minuet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Magnus0 wrote:Crabominable for example , is absolutely abominable.

FTFY

On a slightly more serious note, Razor does have a point, we're not exactly making a game here, just a Pokedex. A point which I may have subverted a bit by making the map.

Allllso, I had only voted for the Genie so I used my second vote for the Dust Devil, seems like something that hasn't been done before so why not.
Back To The Shadows of Hell ~ Be Quick Or Be Dead ~ Let's Get Shooting ~ Natha Daged Dhaer ~ Clear Your Mind ~ Crimson Skies
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:05 am

Magnus0 wrote:Have you ever beaten the game with a luvdisc, lumionion or dunsparce? I honestly think that most of the casual fan base doesn't even remember those pokemon.

Dunsparse, yes, in Silver. I used all 150 Pokemon in Red, in mono teams no less. I also beat Moon with Crabominable. I like Dunsparce, it's funky.
Yes it's me

by Minuet » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:49 am

RaZoR LeAf wrote:
Magnus0 wrote:Have you ever beaten the game with a luvdisc, lumionion or dunsparce? I honestly think that most of the casual fan base doesn't even remember those pokemon.

Dunsparse, yes, in Silver. I used all 150 Pokemon in Red, in mono teams no less. I also beat Moon with Crabominable. I like Dunsparce, it's funky.

The Dunsparce in Colosseum is kickass, kept it in my party for so long for no apparent reason. :P
Back To The Shadows of Hell ~ Be Quick Or Be Dead ~ Let's Get Shooting ~ Natha Daged Dhaer ~ Clear Your Mind ~ Crimson Skies
User

by Magnus0 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 pm

I guess you are just a very hardcore pokemon trainer then. ;)

Oh well, we don't have to do the balance changes. The project is just for fun anyway.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by AerisDraco » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 am

Ideas plox

We also need to polish the mammal concept.
Still voting for my shrew personally.

Other ideas:
1. Fairy/Fire will o wisp (Single evolution)
2. Water/Grass Beaver
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by AerisDraco » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:44 am

Bump I say
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by ShaDowAn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:51 am

good idea
I go by Wintrytale or Wintry now.
User

by AerisDraco » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:45 pm

anyone?
is ded?
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:28 pm

AerisDraco wrote:anyone?
is ded?

Sorry, just busy with other things at the moment.
Yes it's me

by NastyBird339 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:10 am

so is this dead or still going
User

by ShaDowAn » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 am

last time i checked it was dead
I go by Wintrytale or Wintry now.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:46 pm

ShaDowAn wrote:last time i checked it was dead

Inactive, not dead. Dead implies it can't be revived. Instead of saying "is this dead" you could say "this looks quiet, let me get it back on track with x ideas."
Yes it's me

by AerisDraco » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Mmm.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by SealDarklight » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:19 pm

I also wonder a Demon, an imp or a Devil as a Pokemon or even a Hiisi. I also think it should be a Dark/Fairy Type since Dark type is Evil type in japanese and Demons are known to be Evil and Fairy since some people use Demons willfully for their knowledge, assistance or power and Demons are also Manipulative or luring people to belive in them doing good. It can also be a Lilith, Succubus or Incubus since their demons and are attractive to people which Dark/Fairy Makes sense and i also wonder if it should be a Pseudo legendary since its pretty rare but powerfull but unlike other Pseudo legendary first you need a high friendship to evolve the first evolution to second and then use a Dusk stone to evolve it much like the entire Pikachu evolution line and it would have same stats as Mew and other legendary or Mythical pokemon with all same base stats with good moves.
User

PreviousNext