Clouds

Talk about anything game related!

Clouds

by Julian » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:45 am

Proudly I present a little game I created for my study! (in the last two weeks, to be exact)

It's called Clouds and I hope you'll enjoy it! :D
Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/435 ... Clouds.jar

Instructions: avoid rectangles, grab squares... and survive for as long as you possibly can!
Controls: arrow keys or a/w/d

(If it's not starting, please download the latest Java version at http://www.java.com/download)

I hope you'll give it a try... and I am looking forward to hear people's highscores :3
Arrogance isn't being positive about yourself, but thinking your opinion is better than someone else's.
User

Re: Clouds

by Scorpion008 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:15 pm

3006! What do the orange squares do? Please explain the orange lines. I already hate the purple rectangles lol!

Edit: Figured out the orange stuff. New high score: 3700. High scores are not saved properly though, I have a 700 that I didn't save, my 3700 isn't saved, and I have two 3612 with both names I used for high scores, even though only one of those people got that score.
User

by Julian » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Scorpion008 wrote:Edit: Figured out the orange stuff. New high score: 3700.

:D

Scorpion008 wrote:High scores are not saved properly though, I have a 700 that I didn't save, my 3700 isn't saved, and I have two 3612 with both names I used for high scores, even though only one of those people got that score.

Hmmm that's weird. You seem to be the first person having trouble with
the highscore system. I am afraid I am too noobish to resolve anything :<
Arrogance isn't being positive about yourself, but thinking your opinion is better than someone else's.
User

by Scorpion008 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:08 am

What's your highscore Julian?
User

by Julian » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:16 am

Scorpion008 wrote:What's your highscore Julian?

6442 :3 (only beaten so far by my twin brother, haha)
User

by kilele » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:13 am

Yo Julian! This is really fun, what the orange squares are for? you may want to add some shooting, shooting platformers are fun. I envisioned also a cloud raining lots of squares.
I suck in this game but will keep trying until beating your score.
By the way, the other day I forgot to mention another game framework, it is based on java and looks good:
jmonkeyengine.org
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
At the end of the experiment, you will be baked and then there will be cake.
User

by Scorpion008 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:17 am

kilele wrote:Yo Julian! This is really fun, what the orange squares are for? you may want to add some shooting, shooting platformers are fun. I envisioned also a cloud raining lots of squares.
I suck in this game but will keep trying until beating your score.
By the way, the other day I forgot to mention another game framework, it is based on java and looks good:
jmonkeyengine.org

Next time don't pick up an orange square. :P
User

by JuiceBox » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:10 pm

OMGAD THIS GAME IS BETTER THAN KINGDOM RUSH AND FRONTIERS.

JULIAN, YOU ARE GREAT.
When I die, I want to go peacefully. Like my grandfather did: in his sleep; not screaming--like the passengers in his car.

If you hate juice boxes, I will kill you.
User

Location: A magical place where you never get harmed. A magical place, with magical charms.

by kilele » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Scorpion008 wrote:Next time don't pick up an orange square. :P

:lol:
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by kilele » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:56 pm

you know that this little game has potential, I vote for making a multiplatform version and upload it to some marketspace, dunno if google play store is free for developers, of course it would have to be free for players lol. Seriously, if it is java you can prepare an android version in a breeze, add some shooting and grenades with some limitation, like number of repeated fire allowed, it'd strategical firing you know like all hit blocks are turned yellow or pushed backwards, maybe something more complicated or cool: 2 different fire each with its own key, one makes a block go up, down for the other...add some funny-cheapo sound, online highscore to compete, my cloud pouring lots of red blocks and also orange uggh, more suggestions from other folks in this forum, and become rich! or at least..
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by kilele » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Dude, this is superfun! a dynamic and arcade version of Tetris! please keep evolving this game. I have a few more ideas, let me know if you want to know them. This could be a perfect game for a phone, concentration, action, strategy..all super simple in plays of few minutes. I keep sucking in this game:
Last edited by kilele on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by TheHallMonitor » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Ah, so the orange squares stop the lines from coming? I was trying to avoid both those and the red ones...

I think my Java needs updating. The game starts automatically without any menu or anything, and when I die the game just completely freezes.

Edit: w00t, 4064 :yey:
ded

by kilele » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:52 pm

TheHallMonitor wrote:Ah, so the orange squares stop the lines from coming? I was trying to avoid both those and the red ones...

I started the game catching green clouds and saying: meh..this is super cheesy-easy
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by Julian » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks for the kind words all :D I might just develop it further this summer.
An android app is indeed a good idea... I just wonder whether controlling the
rectangle would work well enough on mobile devices. Also, shooting bullets
seems a bit too complex and off-theme to me. I am afraid it would change the
core gameplay too much, but thanks a lot for the ideas (clouds raining squares
might indeed be fun) :3 jmonkeyengine seems quite nice, but suited to 3D
games and I am not ready for those yet. I might look into it in the future!

p.s. I repeat x) :
Julian wrote:Instructions: avoid rectangles, grab squares... and survive for as long as you possibly can!

p.p.s.
TheHallMonitor wrote:I think my Java needs updating. The game starts automatically without any menu or anything, and when I die the game just completely freezes.

The game is supposed to start automatically without any menu or anything...
we had ideas for a menu but were really short on time, so yeah. The game
freezing upon dying is equal to an error when trying to create a highscores
file. Is the Clouds program stored in a folder you have write access to? C:
User

by TheHallMonitor » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:16 am

Mmk, saved it to the Documents file this time. It works.
ded

by kilele » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:28 am

@Julian

IGS must be using Unity3D with 2D modules. Surely there is a way to work for 2d in JMonkeyengine, you may want to find out in their forums. It could be also a shortcut to port your game to Android and other platforms.
Give me a few minutes to post a few more ideas.

@Hall

You can update java in this page
http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by kilele » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:10 am

More ideas for your inspiration ;)

- Throw red squares like boomerangs, risk your lives wisely as a last resort. Inspired in this suggestion:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=662&p=7656#p7648
You instantly miss a life to free yourself from a few purple blocks, if everything goes well you may even regain your life when boomerangs come back, but you might also die..

- Special cloud pouring lots of red squares ; Special cloud pouring lots of orange squares. For example, alternate two good ones in a row with one bad.

- Call a mobile cloud to transport yourself faster (active only a few seconds). Useful for dodge enemies and pick up squares. Like Goku's cloud in Dragon Ball.

- The player may choose to kill himself, in those cases I suggest not to lose many lives if you hit a few enemies at once, it's kinda frustrating and unforgiving, after all you should die only once in this case.
MEH..never mind, actually this is great fun provided that you enrich the game with weapons. For example this situation is challenging: let's see if I can jump between these two clouds to miss one life instead of three ,etc

- Reward the player with a bunch of red squares after a great feat like dodging 4 purple clouds without missing any live. (cool sound here)

- Inform the player that a new weapon is going to be unlocked after certain score, like 4000 points to get a speedy cloud, 6 000 for doble-jump, 10 000 for boomerangs, 20 000 for acid rain surging from the player's base, etc

Shooting:
- As for bullets, well maybe a limited number of them would not affect too much, for example the effect could be just gain some time to maneuver by pushing enemies backwards a little.
-Another insane idea around shooting: Since the player is a vertical cloud, he could "rain" in theory, provide him with a piss tool with a healthbar, you know how this works, the fuller is your bladder (health bar) the more you can piss like a horse. :mrgreen:
-More shooting in a strategy sense: the player can freeze enemies and transform them into a platform. So you could build your own circuit of platforms by shootinng over enemies. Afyer a few seconds, they keep moving again.
- Provoke lightning in clouds: you have to choose strategically how to make a chain of lightnings between clouds to produce a storm.
Last edited by kilele on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by kilele » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:16 am

Hey Julian, I was curious about the possibility of creating 2D with JME3. Hope these links may be of your interest.

2D sprite engine for jMonkeyEngine

Can jme make a 2d platformer?

Why don't many of you use JMonkey Engine?

Edit:

I think IGS used libgdx for Clash of the Olympians
libgdx tutorial
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by MemoNick » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi guys, I'm Nicholas Mamo, a.k.a Nyphoon Games i.e. the creator of the Sprite Engine referenced-to by kilele. I confirm that jMonkeyEngine is capable of creating 2D games. If you want any help using the sprite engine, please let me know - I'll do my utmost to help :)
User

by EliBarracuda » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 pm

I like it! Good job!
User

Next