Recommendations?

Talk about anything game related!

Recommendations?

by Juice Box » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:38 am

I've been sort of bored, lately, and I've been wondering if you guys have any games to recommend for me?

I'll probably try out whatever you ask me to play so long as you make the game look like it's worth my time, though I usually only play strategy games, since Iuno, they're cool. I also mostly enjoy fantasy games, since yeah, I'm a nerd like that.

Also, sort of offtopic but Iun't wanna make a new thread about it: can anyone help me look for this specific game? I've forgotten some of its details, but I recall it showing Elves, typical fantasy Elves, Angels, typical winged angels, and Archons, who are like Humans but holy and Greek/Olympic or whatever. The Archons and Elves were fighting because they both wanted to be the servants of the Angels, and yeah, that's all I can remember but the game looked interesting and stuff, so halp.
User

Re: Recommendations?

by SairiRM » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:47 pm

RTS: Rise of Nations, Age of Empires II & III, Empire Earth, Settlers, Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis III or IV
RPG: Gothic, Diablo II, Planscape Torment, Baldur's Gate, The Elder Scrolls (anyone), Fallout: New Vegas
User

by Juice Box » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:08 pm

I wrote:I'll probably try out whatever you ask me to play so long as you make the game look like it's worth my time
User

by Magnus0 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:48 pm

I recently started playing a game called Vainglory and I'm in looovvveeee with it. It's a MOBA game gor IOS. Easy to understand, hard to master. It's both a fantasy and strategy game so you might like it. People say that it is similar to leage of Legend (I have never played it so I can't confirm that). Also, it is free and not at all pay to win. I recommend it to everyone with an Ipad (it's not for android yet, still a beta)
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by SairiRM » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:12 am

Juice Box wrote:
I wrote:I'll probably try out whatever you ask me to play so long as you make the game look like it's worth my time

I just made a list of my favourite games, you can look up the gameplay on Youtube and see if you like them.
User

by Kowaghuz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:34 am

Juice Box wrote:I've been sort of bored, lately, and I've been wondering if you guys have any games to recommend for me?

I'll probably try out whatever you ask me to play so long as you make the game look like it's worth my time, though I usually only play strategy games, since Iuno, they're cool. I also mostly enjoy fantasy games, since yeah, I'm a nerd like that.

Also, sort of offtopic but Iun't wanna make a new thread about it: can anyone help me look for this specific game? I've forgotten some of its details, but I recall it showing Elves, typical fantasy Elves, Angels, typical winged angels, and Archons, who are like Humans but holy and Greek/Olympic or whatever. The Archons and Elves were fighting because they both wanted to be the servants of the Angels, and yeah, that's all I can remember but the game looked interesting and stuff, so halp.

Card Hunter.

It's basically DnD, but with cards.

WAIT, THIS ISN'T A REGULAR CARD GAME!(I hate those) You actually get gear that grants you better attacks, blocks, armors, etc.

It's a lot of fun and challenging enough not to be unpleasant. My three legends are as follows:

Urist "Am I the only one that gets **** done here!?" Silvershield(Dwarf warrior)
Petr "****ty Spell Wizzard" Novovich(Human wizzzzard)
Cleric "Spike and Pike" Finwer(Priest elf)

You can randomly generate names if you are too lazy to do that. Give it at least ONE try, it's great.
User

by Juice Box » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:46 am

@SairiRM

Yeah, that's sort of why I asked you guys to describe the game for me. For a quick but general overview of the game. YouTube videos only give me a taste of what to expect, and are heavily time-consuming, so I'd rather not.

@Kowaghuz

Ehh, I really don't like card games.

@Magnus

Haha, I actually looked a bit at the Wikia, and it does seem pretty interesting. Too bad I'm an Android user, though. Oh, well. Guess I'll have to wait.

(Offtopic but Adagio looks beast)
User

by Finwer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:33 am

Kowaghuz wrote:" Finwer(Priest elf)

I don't know if I should be flattered that you made a character after me or ashamed that I'm a priest. How do I look in game? Can you post a pic or something?
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Kowaghuz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Finwer wrote:
Kowaghuz wrote:" Finwer(Priest elf)

I don't know if I should be flattered that you made a character after me or ashamed that I'm a priest. How do I look in game? Can you post a pic or something?

wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Priest_Skins

Look at the elf priest part.

Then look at the first row.

Then look at the third character in that row, you're the bulky white-haired elf.

(Elf Priests-Primul rand-Al treilea personaj)

And it's not really a priest, it's a holy warrior that wields a mace or an axe.

Juice Box wrote:@Kowaghuz

Ehh, I really don't like card games.

IT'S NOT ONE OF THOSE DAMN CARD GAMES, YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE CHARACTERS EVOLVE AND GET BETTER.

Look man, play the 5 minute tutorial, if you like it then you'll like the game.
User

by Finwer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Well I look pretty cool. I Will check thia game as soon as my PC will work again.
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Kowaghuz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Finwer wrote:Well I look pretty cool. I Will check thia game as soon as my PC will work again.

Watch out, though. Later adventures will take more time, and the XP rewards start to go down, too. It's a great game if you have the time to play it.

It has this board-game atmosphere, and that's what I really like about it.
User

by Magnus0 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:02 pm

Juice Box wrote:
@Magnus

Haha, I actually looked a bit at the Wikia, and it does seem pretty interesting. Too bad I'm an Android user, though. Oh, well. Guess I'll have to wait.

(Offtopic but Adagio looks beast)

Good luck waiting. It's really worth it.

Adagio is actually what I had in mind for the fallen angel hero, but then female, and with a scythe.

And when the android version is finally released, you should try Koshka. You always talk about jumpy female melee heroes and Koshka is just like that, but with cat ears. :D
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by Zonoro13 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:25 am

Realm of the Mad God is a fantasy game, but not really strategy. It's all about skill. It's very hard, and death is swift and permanent. I've been playing for more than 2 months, and I can barely keep a character alive for more than a couple days. The graphics are retro 8-bit, and it's entirely coop (no PvP). Get good at dodging and have quick reflexes, or get killed.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Juice Box » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:36 am

Kowaghuz wrote:IT'S NOT ONE OF THOSE DAMN CARD GAMES, YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE CHARACTERS EVOLVE AND GET BETTER.

Meh.

Card games in general are boring. The slow pacing, the luck-based matches, the turn-based action, the bad graphics, they sort of employ majority of the things I dislike in games.

@Magnus

Yeah, I looked a bit at Koshka, too, and she does seem pretty interesting. I'm still heavily leaning on Adagio, though, 'cause Adagio.
User

by Kowaghuz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Juice Box wrote:
Kowaghuz wrote:IT'S NOT ONE OF THOSE DAMN CARD GAMES, YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE CHARACTERS EVOLVE AND GET BETTER.

Meh.

Card games in general are boring. The slow pacing, the luck-based matches, the turn-based action, the bad graphics, they sort of employ majority of the things I dislike in games.

@Magnus

Yeah, I looked a bit at Koshka, too, and she does seem pretty interesting. I'm still heavily leaning on Adagio, though, 'cause Adagio.

"Slow pacing"

You can adjust the speed to be 2fast2furious.

"Turn-based"

Imagination makes turn-based as fun as real time, minus the chances of f***ing up because you were busy.

"Bad graphics"

Card hunter? Bad graphics?(I mean, it's cartoony but NOT. BAD.)

1v1 on me mum m8.
User

by Juice Box » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Kowaghuz wrote:You can adjust the speed to be 2fast2furious.

Still not as fast as strategy games.

Kowaghuz wrote:Imagination makes turn-based as fun as real time, minus the chances of f***ing up because you were busy.

One of the focal points of a game is to turn your imagination into reality. If I still have to use it while playing a game, then all the more reason I shouldn't even bother with it.

Kowaghuz wrote:Card hunter? Bad graphics?(I mean, it's cartoony but NOT. BAD.)

I checked all the skins and watched gameplay a bit, actually, and... yeah, the graphics are pretty bad. Compared to other games, atleast.
User

by Kowaghuz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Juice Box wrote:
Kowaghuz wrote:You can adjust the speed to be 2fast2furious.

Still not as fast as strategy games.

Kowaghuz wrote:Imagination makes turn-based as fun as real time, minus the chances of f***ing up because you were busy.

One of the focal points of a game is to turn your imagination into reality. If I still have to use it while playing a game, then all the more reason I shouldn't even bother with it.

I checked all the skins and watched gameplay a bit, actually, and... yeah, the graphics are pretty bad. Compared to other games, atleast.

I suppose it's about taste, but I really like the graphics. Especially the board game feel.
User

by The_TaTs » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:49 pm

RTS games:

Anything from Warhammer should be fine.

Anything from Blizzard: Warcraft 3 and the expansion are highly recommendable and they've aged super well.
Also... Starcraft II is not bad at all.
I would recomend Starcraft 1 because I'm old and that game changed my life, but it's probably a bit outdated for you kids.

Anno 2070... peculiar game from Ubisoft. Has an interesting merge of RTS and city building.

Age of Mithology is fun and even slightly educational. I loved the balance in that game. The art is also kinda nice. AND... the campaign is story driven!

Shogun Total War. Best Total War game so far. Beautifully executed. Awesome graphics, hard to play and hard to master.

I'll also suggest some of my favourite RPG/fantasy games. You might find somethign you like.

Bastion.
From the same guys that made Transistor. Beautiful game. Awesome soundtrack. The gameplay gets a bit repetitive for a moment but it's definitely a great gaming experience.

Pillars of Eternity.
Great RPG that uses the old school interface Baldur's Gate style but with a more modern narrattive and mechanics. Great atmosphere.

Banner Saga.
It's a turn based story driven game with beautiful art and a very cool story. This is literally a game you can fall in love with, and they are actually very friendly towards Ironhide. We have exchanged several emails. This is the first game for their studio (Stoic) and there's only 3 of them making the game... so they are rather similar to us.

The Cave.
Ron Gilbert made this game. That alone should tell you everything you need to know about it. It's a beautifully executed adventure/puzzle game loosely based on Plato's allegory of the cave... but with less greek philosophy and more fun. The characters are simply amazing.

Saints Row IV
The silliest, most stupid, and most self aware sand box out there. It's GTA on drugs. It's not "great". But it made me laugh quite a bit.

The Mass Effect saga.
The best Sci-fy RPG out there. Period. Good writing. Action packed. Only a few "real" decisions but it's one hell of a ride.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:01 pm

Juice Box wrote:

Still on the graphics thing? For someone who likes books so much, you seem to really be against using imagination for these sort of things. I'm only bringing this up because you could enjoy so many more games if you were more open about it.
BBB

by Juice Box » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:30 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:
Juice Box wrote:

Still on the graphics thing? For someone who likes books so much, you seem to really be against using imagination for these sort of things. I'm only bringing this up because you could enjoy so many more games if you were more open about it.

That's 'cause I read books for the feels, and I play games for the "ooohs" and the "aaahs." I mean, that's why I don't read books that involve fighty-fighty stuff, because why would I bother reading about them, when I can just play a game with actual fighting?

It's just, books, I read them to feel. Sadness, happiness, etc. Games, I play them because good graphics are fun to look at, and great programming can keep my mind immersed in a world.

The_TaTs wrote:RTS games:

Anything from Warhammer should be fine.

Anything from Blizzard: Warcraft 3 and the expansion are highly recommendable and they've aged super well.
Also... Starcraft II is not bad at all.
I would recomend Starcraft 1 because I'm old and that game changed my life, but it's probably a bit outdated for you kids.

Anno 2070... peculiar game from Ubisoft. Has an interesting merge of RTS and city building.

Age of Mithology is fun and even slightly educational. I loved the balance in that game. The art is also kinda nice. AND... the campaign is story driven!

Shogun Total War. Best Total War game so far. Beautifully executed. Awesome graphics, hard to play and hard to master.

I'll also suggest some of my favourite RPG/fantasy games. You might find somethign you like.

Bastion.
From the same guys that made Transistor. Beautiful game. Awesome soundtrack. The gameplay gets a bit repetitive for a moment but it's definitely a great gaming experience.

Pillars of Eternity.
Great RPG that uses the old school interface Baldur's Gate style but with a more modern narrattive and mechanics. Great atmosphere.

Banner Saga.
It's a turn based story driven game with beautiful art and a very cool story. This is literally a game you can fall in love with, and they are actually very friendly towards Ironhide. We have exchanged several emails. This is the first game for their studio (Stoic) and there's only 3 of them making the game... so they are rather similar to us.

The Cave.
Ron Gilbert made this game. That alone should tell you everything you need to know about it. It's a beautifully executed adventure/puzzle game loosely based on Plato's allegory of the cave... but with less greek philosophy and more fun. The characters are simply amazing.

Saints Row IV
The silliest, most stupid, and most self aware sand box out there. It's GTA on drugs. It's not "great". But it made me laugh quite a bit.

The Mass Effect saga.
The best Sci-fy RPG out there. Period. Good writing. Action packed. Only a few "real" decisions but it's one hell of a ride.

Dang. I've played almost all the RTS games you suggested.

I'm a fan of Warhammer myself, but I find the first games--Dark Crusade, Soulstorm--way more fun. The sequels are prettier, sure, but they don't feel like RTS games at all.

There's also how the Space Marines in the first few Warhammer games are super-powerful, exactly how they should be. In the sequels, they die to Imperial Guardsmen. Which is just... horrendous, 'cause the Imperial Guardsmen are, like, low-morale, minimal-training civilians with guns, and the Space Marines are super-elite, heavily-armored fighters who do nothing but fight for the duration of their thousands-of-years lives.

I also used to love WarCraft 3, but... well, yeah, it got old.

I never liked StarCraft 2. It was flashy, but it lacked strategic value. In multiplayer, the only thing you'd need to win is Protoss Immortals. The rest are just add-ons.

I've played most of the "Age of" games, and yeah, they're fun, but like WarCraft, it's sort of old.

Haven't tried Anno or Shogun, but I'll probably look into it.

I've tried Bastion, but I honestly love Transistor more. Transistor had that nice blend of flashiness and fun gameplay. Bastion was fun, too, but it got boring after a while, and I never liked the world's design. Felt... Iduno, crammed, somehow.

Also tried Mass Effect. Finished it, loved it, didn't think the ending was all that bad (CONTROL FTW). But I loved Halo more.

Mass Effect... the alien guys were just too weird. I mean, they look weird. It's hard to take some of the moments seriously because the characters look... yeah... I mean, look at the Krogan. Don't tell me you don't find those guys funny-looking.

There are exceptions at times, of course, like the Turians and the Geth, who are my two favorite races (LEGION AND GARRUS FTW), but the rest, like the Quarians and the Asari are just... ugh.

But yeah. Halo. Vast universe. Great gameplay. Funfunfunfun.
User

Next