Diminishing Returns

Talk about anything game related!

Diminishing Returns

by Big Bad Bug » Sat May 09, 2015 11:19 pm

I've always had mixed feelings about RPG's reducing the amount gained per level up just because the player levels up a lot. Just to summarize, diminishing returns are when the player levels up a stat over and over again, but the benefits of leveling it up decrease as well as becoming more costly with each consecutive increase in level. So, lveling up HP the first 10 times will provide more hit points than leveling it up for the 40th time.

Personally, I'm the sort of person who enjoys maxing out everything for the sake of completion, and because I like to feel OP. :twisted: However, this hinders my progress because leveling it up all the way doesn't feel very awarding, just a chore in order to get it done.

These mechanics also mess up PVP/Multiplayer in a lot of games. For instance, in Bloodborne, players can't fight each other unless they're close to the other's level, so that a level 100 person can fight other 90-110 players but wouldn't be forced to fight a level 40 or 300 person. This may seem fair, but with diminishing returns, the player who levels up 80 times in health and 30 times in their damage stats will be weaker than the player who spends 80 levels amongst their damage stats and 30 times in their health stat. A level 150 person who has maxed out only 3 stats would likely be just as powerful as a level 90 person with a balance between multiple stats to have more versatility.

A lot of people seem to really think diminishing returns are smart ideas, but I can't see why. Perhaps someone has their own testimonies on this that I haven't considered?
BBB

Re: Diminishing Returns

by Simmonds91 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:50 am

Dragons dogma has them too but maybe not so bad? Made up example: lvl 10 - 20 points in hp, lvl 11 to 100 - 10 points in hp, lvl 101 to 200 - 5 points in hp. I always thought this type of limitation was quite smart, you didnt get too op in the later levels but you did get a set pattern of points in a stat. I suppose its like a drawn out version of what you are talking about BBB, though with major differences in other aspects in the levelling up mechanics i wont mention (its a different game after all)
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by Kowaghuz » Sun May 10, 2015 7:35 am

I bet you're complaining about some p***y WoW rip-off, where level 60 is halfway to level 100, aren't ya, lad?

Once you're in the mood for some REAL grinding, play Runescape. LVL 92 IS HALFWAY TOWARDS 99. Good luck with that.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sun May 10, 2015 1:50 pm

Simmonds91 wrote:Dragons dogma has them too but maybe not so bad? Made up example: lvl 10 - 20 points in hp, lvl 11 to 100 - 10 points in hp, lvl 101 to 200 - 5 points in hp. I always thought this type of limitation was quite smart, you didnt get too op in the later levels but you did get a set pattern of points in a stat. I suppose its like a drawn out version of what you are talking about BBB, though with major differences in other aspects in the levelling up mechanics i wont mention (its a different game after all)

I can see why stats need to increase less in the later levels to prevent becoming OP, but it would be possible to just find the average and keep it at that all the way through. Plus, I've played Dragon's Dogma, and hitting level 50 or so makes your character pretty dang powerful already, not to mention that you can max out every vocation before even being a quarter of the way done with leveling up. This may sound harsh, but Dragon's Dogma's leveling system is pretty bad to me. :lol:
BBB

by Simmonds91 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:38 pm

Make the enemies stronger and boom, problem solved :D

Seriously though, i never said it was perfect, just better than bloodbornes, keep the average all the way through as you say is the way to go but if it wasnt for the enemies being so weak then it'd be ideal if you ask me.

Also does levelling up really matter after level 90 in DD? You were right about the character being powerful at 50 (maybe not so much in The expansion) the stat gains dont make levelling up worth bothering, especially with all the equipment you can wear and being able to enhance them.
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork