Multi-field gameplay

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Multi-field gameplay

by ribtin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:42 pm

I love Tower Defense and always look for new games to play. There's a bunch of good ones out there, all with their respective qualities, but there's one thing I've never seen in any TD game before, that I'm sorely missing.

And the concept actually comes from pinball-games: You have probably played those older computer pinball games, where you start off at the top of the pinball-board with two flippers up there, and you play there for as long as you can, but if you miss the ball, the screen glides down to show the bottom part of the board, and you have another set of flippers. You can keep playing at the bottom part, and if you are lucky, you might actually be able to hit the ball so that it goes back to the top part of the board and the screen scrolls back up so that you can use the top flippers again.

This concept would be beyond awesome if it was incorporated into Kingdom Rush, so that you start off by placing towers at one field, and at some point you will get over-run by enemies, but instead of losing the game, the screen scrolls sideways or downward, to show a new playing field where you can place new towers. You have to make a new defense strategy there, and if you are able to kill all the enemies there, then the playing field scrolls back to the first field again. Or maybe you could even chose what path you want to take, akin to Gemcraft Labyrinth? And if you also manage to kill everyone there, the screen scrolls forward to yet a new field.

Thus, instead of having to play a set of different missions, you play one long journey, where you get knocked down and climb back up again, until finally you get to the top level which is of course super-hard and keeps knocking you down:

I know this would require a bunch of different changes to how things work (like how you get rewarded by stars at each level) but it would also bring something completely new and possibly revolutionize the TD-platform =)

What do you guys think?
User

Re: Multi-field gameplay

by Ninja » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:05 pm

I've actually been making up a mini-campaign (for the Fan Fiction subforum) that will implement something similar to this suggestion. 8-)
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Ooh, like some sort of expedition mode? It's like a spin-off of Endless Mode, but with a goal other now. :D

Customizable settings like being able to let the game randomly choose which maps to put together (I know that won't work aesthetically :P ) and how many maps to have in these mega-missions would add an immense amount of depth and replayability. I'm even thinking of starting a typical mission, but it goes up to 40 or even 60 waves, using similar elements to Endless Mode to choose more enemies and make the waves stronger, and force the player to scroll up and build more towers above in order to have enough firepower. The phone version of KR already makes the player have to scroll a little; we could take advantage of this already-existing feature to turn multiple levels' layouts into one, massive path for the player to defend. :hero:
BBB

by ribtin » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:10 am

Yeah, I love the idea of the game generating random maps. That would give it yet another level of difficulty.
User