The Art of High Replay Value

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Re: The Art of High Replay Value

by kevin32 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Don't mean to bring up a dead thread, but in light of all the pressure for Ironhide to release the game on the next platform, I really think the devs should take a hard look at adding more replay value to KR.

Everyone wants brand new content. But if new content isn't coming at a rate that is acceptable to players and feasible for devs, then the least that could be done is increase the replay value of the existing content. This one move extends playtime for players while delaying requests to devs for the next big thing. Everyone wins.
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

by Finwer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:29 pm

i really like your ideas and i think the devs should really take in consideration your suggestion!
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Cheesecake » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:37 pm

I like the dungeon idea. It sounds fun :)
If you need something done if the Fan Fiction section, please bother me with it so I feel important.
If you don't know who that is, I'll kill you.
Indiana Jones hero made by RazorLeaf :D :D :D

by BubblesMaster » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Finwer wrote:i really like your ideas and i think the devs should really take in consideration your suggestion!

suggestion*s*
All of his ideas are amazing and it would be awesome for the devs to really consider this.
The Universe has a wonderful sense of humor, the trick is learning to take a joke. Do, or do not. There is no try. Why so serious? 'To Start Press Any Key' Where's The Any Key?
User

by Cheesecake » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:42 pm

BubblesMaster wrote:
Finwer wrote:i really like your ideas and i think the devs should really take in consideration your suggestion!

suggestion*s*
All of his ideas are amazing and it would be awesome for the devs to really consider this.

The only one of his ideas I don't really like is replaying levels with with slightly different colours and enemies. We have heroic and iron modes for that :P
If you need something done if the Fan Fiction section, please bother me with it so I feel important.

by Finwer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Cheesecake wrote:
BubblesMaster wrote:

suggestion*s*

The only one of his ideas I don't really like is replaying levels with with slightly different colours and enemies. We have heroic and iron modes for that :P

yea but will be cool if for example after you complete The Citadel,the destroyed houses/gates to be repaired :D
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by kevin32 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback.:) To be honest, some of these ideas came from other members as well, plus I love it when several people pitch in with suggestions. I personally don't care about the credit for the ideas as I do with getting it into the game, and this is one of those things I feel KR really needs more of.

Cheesecake wrote:The only one of his ideas I don't really like is replaying levels with with slightly different colours and enemies. We have heroic and iron modes for that :P

Yes, Julian made a good point about this as well, and I agree. Mere cosmetic changes doesn't increase replay value all that much. But it wasn't about only cosmetic changes, but modifying several aspects of the game (including cosmetic) to induce a different experience. So in terms of modified content, I would also suggest changing the types of enemies and the pattern in which enemies come.
Last edited by kevin32 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User

by Cheesecake » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 pm

kevin32 wrote:Thanks guys for the feedback.:) To be honest, some of these ideas came from other members as well, plus I love it when several people pitch in with suggestion. I personally don't care about the credit for the ideas as I do with getting it into the game, and this is one of those things I feel KR really needs more of.

Cheesecake wrote:The only one of his ideas I don't really like is replaying levels with with slightly different colours and enemies. We have heroic and iron modes for that :P

Yes, Julian made a good point about this as well, and I agree. Mere cosmetic changes doesn't increase replay value all that much. So in this particular case, I would suggest changing the pattern in which enemies come.

I would also add some new paths(Like in KRF, on Buccaneer's den and the Crimson Jungle, enemies create new paths) in order to increase the difficulty and add more surprises.

by kilele » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:35 pm

Cheesecake wrote:I would also add some new paths(Like in KRF, on Buccaneer's den and the Crimson Jungle, enemies create new paths) in order to increase the difficulty and add more surprises.

or allow the players to make their own paths (maybe with my suggestion on drawbridges to form paths) plus add weapons to alter/deviate the usual itinerary.

Score boards with all kind of stats measuring how you performed on any level as mentioned here on this very same thread.

Apart from the endless mode why not compete with other crazy experiments chosen by the player although they make the game unbalanced, after all the endless mode is impossible to beat, so I propose playing any stage with any setup of the other stages (sequence of enemies, waves, balance, etc.) for example play Coldstep Mines with Rotten forest's setup or any other stage setup. Dunno it it makes sense but apparently it'd be fun to play.
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
At the end of the experiment, you will be baked and then there will be cake.
User

by Cheesecake » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 pm

kilele wrote:
Cheesecake wrote:I would also add some new paths(Like in KRF, on Buccaneer's den and the Crimson Jungle, enemies create new paths) in order to increase the difficulty and add more surprises.

or allow the players to make their own paths (maybe with my suggestion on drawbridges to form paths) plus add weapons to alter/deviate the usual itinerary.

Score boards with all kind of stats measuring how you performed on any level as mentioned here on this very same thread.

Apart from the endless mode why not compete with other crazy experiments chosen by the player although they make the game unbalanced, after all the endless mode is impossible to beat, so I propose playing any stage with any setup of the other stages (sequence of enemies, waves, balance, etc.) for example play Coldstep Mines with Rotten forest's setup or any other stage setup. Dunno it it makes sense but apparently it'd be fun to play.

So, I could play Southport with the enemies from the Hak'Raj Plateau and have Necromancers and Battle Mechas? Sounds fun :P
What about letting players choose which enemies would be on the map, and choose their speed, ect? Sort of like in Gemcraft, how when you play a level you can choose that kind of enemies you have, the amount of waves, the amount of enemies per wave, and all the other modifiers. That would be interesting.

by kilele » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:10 am

Cheesecake wrote:What about letting players choose which enemies would be on the map, and choose their speed, ect? Sort of like in Gemcraft, how when you play a level you can choose that kind of enemies you have, the amount of waves, the amount of enemies per wave, and all the other modifiers. That would be interesting.

That sounds to me like a level editor and look what Vanzen thought about level editors here.
Who knows if they could find a way to autobalance the game according to what the player chose to play with some restrictions on choosing,
and what would be the story to explain this play mode ? well call it "total invasion", the enemy has spread all over the kingdom!
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by 13mastercool » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:54 pm

I like the Dungeons idea. Also, there should be an infinite wave mode to see how far you can get.
User

by SilasLock » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 am

I like any suggestions that involved you working towards something instead of something else you could be working towards. Stuff like this adds tremendous replay value and gives you a tiny but important form of customization.

One of my personal ideas on how to add some replay value:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3968
I have mad skills, but more mad than skills.
ImageImage
User

by kevin32 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:30 am

SilasLock wrote:I like any suggestions that involved you working towards something instead of something else you could be working towards. Stuff like this adds tremendous replay value and gives you a tiny but important form of customization.

I updated the OP to include this idea.
User

by SilasLock » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:40 am

kevin32 wrote:
SilasLock wrote:I like any suggestions that involved you working towards something instead of something else you could be working towards. Stuff like this adds tremendous replay value and gives you a tiny but important form of customization.

I updated the OP to include this idea.

Thanks! Means a lot to know that you liked my ideas. :D
ImageImage
User

by MasterKnightDH » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:31 am

The scoring system idea would be neat. Battalion Wars has its own scoring system and it's surprisingly good at encouraging you to learn how to blitz enemy formations efficiently. KR could make use of a scoring system to encourage players to play through levels without using stars or losing lives.

If KR could manage an ambitious scoring system, then I'd be for bonuses akin to ones in Super Smash Bros. 64 and Melee. Want "Smart Smasher"? Then don't build a Sorcerer Mage tower. Looking for "Tech Genius"? Get Tesla x104's Overcharge 2 within your first 4000G. Just make sure the bonuses have balanced values [strike]and less lame names than what I used[/strike], and also make sure that people trying to use stars to get these bonuses is addressed well.
Master Knight DH at your service.
YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterKnightDH
User

by SilasLock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:40 am

New idea to increase replay value. 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4049
ImageImage
User

by kilele » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:12 pm

hahaha now I get the candy reference, thanks for recommending the movie, so far the best one of pixar at least for me :)
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
User

by kevin32 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:37 am

Added "You completed everything award" to OP.
User

by awesomejoon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:10 am

I just replayed this game too much!!! Need something else... Any recommendation?
Fate/Grand Order is a cancer game
I'm dead. Nuff said
User

PreviousNext