Hero Towers

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Re: Hero Towers

by SilasLock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Heck yes! This idea is fantastic. I have no idea how it would be implemented in-game and still maintain game balance, but I'm sure we can find a way. In the meantime, I'd like to say that this would be a really cool gameplay mechanic that would add lots of extra depth to the game.

Here's an idea for a stage making use of hero towers:

Its an old abandoned town surrounded by palisade walls, similar to how I imagine Lopah or some other village to be. The level has some towers already built, and those include rare ones like the Dwarf Bastion and stuff. Your hero could garrison or use the tower that they have as a Hero Tower, and depending on the hero all the towers would correspond to yours. Basically, the hero you choose also chooses the positioning of your primary firepower as well as the kind of firepower they use. The chosen hero is essential to your strategy in this case in a way that they usually aren't in most stages. Could be fun, building a ramshackle defense based off of the hero you choose and ragtag forces already in place.
:)
I have mad skills, but more mad than skills.
ImageImage
User

by Finwer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:52 pm

SilasLock wrote:Heck yes! This idea is fantastic. I have no idea how it would be implemented in-game and still maintain game balance, but I'm sure we can find a way. In the meantime, I'd like to say that this would be a really cool gameplay mechanic that would add lots of extra depth to the game.

Here's an idea for a stage making use of hero towers:

Its an old abandoned town surrounded by palisade walls, similar to how I imagine Lopah or some other village to be. The level has some towers already built, and those include rare ones like the Dwarf Bastion and stuff. Your hero could garrison or use the tower that they have as a Hero Tower, and depending on the hero all the towers would correspond to yours. Basically, the hero you choose also chooses the positioning of your primary firepower as well as the kind of firepower they use. The chosen hero is essential to your strategy in this case in a way that they usually aren't in most stages. Could be fun, building a ramshackle defense based off of the hero you choose and ragtag forces already in place.
:)

yeah itcould work but that's still hard to do ;)
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by kevin32 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:04 am

Update OP with another image.
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

by Zonoro13 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:24 am

Who's that guy in the arcane tower?
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Chimto » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:07 am

Zonoro13 wrote:Who's that guy in the arcane tower?

Of course it's Magnus.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely. All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
User

by Zonoro13 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:11 am

Chimto wrote:
Zonoro13 wrote:Who's that guy in the arcane tower?

Of course it's Magnus.

Now I see it. I don't know why I didn't recognize him sooner... :P
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

User

by Finwer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 am

kevin32 wrote:Update OP with another image.

that bandit :lol: :lol:
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by warbot1000 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:17 am

sooo cool
this could work with my hero path idea?

my ideas
http://www.ironhidegames.com/forums/vie ... =15&t=4760
I am master of the elements, student of goku and digimon king
My friends an I fight for good beware of warbot the humanrobot!!

If its not JB its not right!
User

by kevin32 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:33 am

Updated OP with a new image. Couldn't quite do the catapult thing for Denas though, so I went for something a little different...a mobile tower.
Last edited by kevin32 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

by Zonoro13 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:11 am

kevin32 wrote:Updated OP with a new image. Couldn't quite do the catapult thing for Denas though, so I went for something a little different.

Excellent as usual. :D
-Terry Pratchett

User

by xstargaming » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:58 am

Awesome ideas! Very nice work. :)
User

by shadownight » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:46 am

nice

User

by Sanzuwu13 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 pm

New comments in purple. My additions here are actually in response to additions by Kevin, but I thought I'd add here because I have the template thingy.

Well, that fanart is just awesome. Aye, that it is.
Gerald: Paladins. Absolutely.
Alleria: Rangers' Hideout, as shown. Yes. Should still have Wildcat spawn, though.
Malik: His own tower or DWAARP (earthquakes, much?) I agree. Malik sure ain't a dwarf, but earthquake is a very specific thematic association that would make it work very well.I'm thinking DWAARP rather than the tower depicted. The tower depicted has obvious means to do anything (and the skill appears to be similar to DWAARP anyway).
Bolin: Bertha/Mecha/combo of both Bolin is a gunner. I think he should be added onto a Dwarven Bastion. *cough* Musketeers *cough* Though the colour should be changed to a brownish reddish thing I think putting Malik and Thor with dwarves is good because of specific thematic associations. Bolin does have some association with Musketeers, as a gunner, and that combo would work. But other gun-wielding dwarves do already exist, and would be a better association for Bolin.
Ignus: His own tower (scorched earth all around?) Yeah! What about Sorcerer Mage-ish tower ... thingy? Nah. Ignus is _fire_ based, not orange-colored cursing magic.Volcano tower! Fabulous.
Magnus: Arcane Definitely.Having a tower be a long rectangle seems weird. For a different shape, I think a pentagonal version of the Arcane tower would be great.
Denas: His own tower (spawns imperial guards?) Perhaps a permanent catapult with an imperial guard or two?Recolored guards look awesomely cool. I do think a catapult would be ideal though, and even if the main tower isn't a catapult, I don't think it should be pushed around by Executioners.
Elora: Her own tower, as shown by the fanart. Definitely.
Ingvar: Barbarians What else?
Hacksaw: A tower based on gnome shop items? Yes.
Oni: His own tower Mhmm.
Thor: A tower based on the lightning spell Yes. Or Tesla ... Why didn't I think of that? Like Malik, Thor ain't a dwarf, but he has very specific thematic associations (lightning) that would work well with the Tesla. (Also note that they both do have some thematicity with dwarves because of their chosen weapons.
Alric: His own tower (as shown and suggested) Absolutely.
Mirage: Assassin's Guild Absolutely. And I think Mirage should be on the ground with her assassin squad rather than firing from the top like other ranged heroes, because of Lethal Strike. And from her teachings, the three lesser assassins should have Shadow Dodge like hers (since the tower has limited range, they should dodge to a random location within a small radius. Recolored Assassins and tower are absolutely beautiful.
Cronan: Spear Maidens was a great suggestion :) Yeah!
Bruxa: Either axethrowers, necromancers, or a combo tower with one of each (double fire rate for both attacks) Her own tower. Why does everyone seem to think Bruxa goes with axethrowers? She is very different. I also think that her Voodoo is distinct from standard Necromancy, as it is unassociated with disease and is purple rather than green.
Blackthorne: SCUMM Bar (with all three types of pirates available :D ) Yes. Definitely should come of of SCUMM Bar.
Nivus: Archmage, as shown. Yes.
Dierdre: Something similar to Shrine of Regnos or Sunray tower? (Nerfed, of course) Absolutely not. Dierdre is a tank/healer, not a DPS hero, and she has "blue holy" thematicity (I define blue holy as holiness used mainly to heal and buff self and allies; conveniently, almost all of the associated skills are blue). I think she, like Gerald, should be with Paladins, and should be on the ground rather than safely away from the action. How about Templars? Ey? Aside from the issue that Templars aren't good for anything (I wasn't even thinking about them when I first commented on this list), the thematicity is wrong. Templars are red holy (see below, I've given some redefinition). Dierdre is blue holy.In principle, recolored Templars with different skills (blue rather than red holy) could work just fine, but those look a little too weird.
Grawl: The suggested tower Absolutely.
Sha'tra: His own tower Yes. He's just too different from everything else.Tower shown doesn't work for me. Sha'tra appears to me to be a vastly different type of alien from the Parasytes and Reapers. Perhaps we could have a drone base, supporting much more frequent drones?
Karkinos: ??? His own tower.
Kutsao: Maybe a monk barracks? Definitely monk barracks.
Dante: Either his own tower or an adapted bastion His own tower. Thematicity is wrong for Dwarven Bastion, Dante having his holy theme. Thematicity also wrong for Paladins, Dante being more "red holy" (I define red holy as focused on damaging and debuffing enemies. Dante is really the only example of red holy in KR). Out of topic, but I ship him with Lucrezia ...Actually, I realize that Templars' abilities are red holy. This means that there are red holy defensive stuff, but there is the blue holy Holy Strike, too. Red holy still mainly focuses on damage and debuff. Anyway, Templars being red holy does mean that Dante could camp out on top of a Templar outpost and fire from there. The Templars would be weak, but Dante is very strong, I hear, so I suppose they'd balance out.
Kahz: ??? His own tower.
Bonehart: An adapted necromancer? Yes. The necromancer's benefit from the association would be to deal true damage on base attack. Bonehart would would hover over a spot defined by a rally point somewhere within the range of the tower.
Ashbite: His own tower I put Ashbite after Bonehart because Bonehart's necromancer seems like a better jumping off point, as I envision the two as having the same mechanic. Ashbite's associate mage would be a pyromancer who deals fire (as in true) damage.[/quote][/quote]
User

Location: Ha'Kraj Plateau, recruiting trolls and half-trolls for the forces of good

Previous