Unique Upgrades

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Unique Upgrades

by deti » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Ok well I had an idea.. wouldn't it be great if a tower can have unique upgrades that can be upgraded at any time?
For instance:

Barracks: Upgrade:

Extra soldier: Allow for an extra soldier at the cost of 500 gold + 20% of what you spent on the tower. [Cap +3 Units]
Extra damage: 300 gold for a boost of 10 damage. Upgrade cost increases by 50 gold after every upgrade. [No Cap]
Extra health: Extra health per unit. 5% more for 400 gold and increases by 60 gold after every upgrade. [Cap 100% health bonus]

Mage Tower:Upgrade:

Extra damage: 400 gold for a boost of 10 damage. Upgrade cost increases by 90 gold after every upgrade. [No Cap]
Extra range: 10% extra range for 300 gold. Upgrade cost increases by 70. [Cap 100% range bonus]
Lower Cooldown: Each second costs 1,000 gold. [Cap -3 seconds]

Range Tower:Upgrade

Extra damage: 500 gold for a boost of 10 damage. Upgrade cost increases by 100 gold after every upgrade.
Extra range: 10% extra range for 400 gold. Upgrade cost increases by 80.
Extra shot: Fires an additional shot. Costs 300% of gold spent on tower. [Cap 4 additional shots]

Artillery Tower:
Upgrade

Extra damage: 1000 gold for a boost of 10 damage. Upgrade cost increases by 200 gold after every upgrade. [No Cap]
Extra range: 10% extra range for 800 gold. Upgrade cost increases by 140. [Cap 100% range bonus]
Extra shot: Fires an additional shot [cap 2]. Costs 500% of gold spent on tower. [Cap 2 additional shots]

I think this would be an awesome way to make the game THAT much more tougher and in depth. Endless mode can definitly be accomplished by adding extra upgrades such as these. So basicly you would have the option for these upgrades the MOMENT you buy it. This can create more oppurtunities for epic bosses and we can probably get a "HARD" mode [Since the first Kindom Rush has only a normal]. The amount of upgrades for damage / range and health can be infinite.

Cap: I put a cap on certain upgrades as to not make the game super easy if you continue to upgrade the same tower. I guess the caps can be removed entirely but I just figured I would leave them in there for now.

% of Tower Cost: Remember that the % of the Tower cost includes the prices you have spent on the tower itself AND the price you have spent on upgrades aswell as the additional gold.

Note: All the images are used from the Skill Tree Upgrade page.

What you all think?
Last edited by deti on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User

Re: Unique Upgrades

by kilele » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:14 am

I love your idea as long as you provide cool animations for each buy to make it even funnier like seeing a rain of arrows for the archers boost.
As you said this might be handy for developers to balance harder bosses and make the endless mode. I'd like to hear more opinions on this from the strategy experts.
KR1 Fanmade Challenges
At the end of the experiment, you will be baked and then there will be cake.
User

by deti » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:20 am

I will make the others aswell but I am just using images from skill tree so you guys get the idea lol.
User

by suin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:01 am

Ur ideas are fantastic and I luv them very much. Maybe you can get rid of those cap limits to make the game more tactical. But considering the sense of balance, the cost might double or triple if u wanna do more upgrades.
User

by deti » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:20 pm

I would love for it not to have a cap on units per Barrack or shots per artillery but it might become super over powered lol. I guess so.
User

by Epicazeroth » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Suin, I thought you had to leave? Not that I hate you and want you gone, but you did say so.
Image Image
So cute. And lonely :cry: Please visit him. And my other dragons while you're at it. Ok he's actually kinda creepy, but I promise the other one is cuter!
User

by suin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:46 pm

deti wrote:
I would love for it not to have a cap on units per Barrack or shots per artillery but it might become super over powered lol. I guess so.

Yup, it is pretty difficult indeed to get a middle point to make the challenges never too tough or too easy. Maybe you can devise a retrieving system, which means the system will get back your additional upgrades gradually as time goes by. The more upgrades you get, the faster the retrieving speed will be. And you have to pay a lot of money to maintain the super power of your towers.

Epicazeroth wrote:
Suin, I thought you had to leave? Not that I hate you and want you gone, but you did say so.

yeah, I did. I've been pretty busy recently for an important exam and now I could have some breaks, so I got back...
User

by LichLord » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Even though these seem nice they are pretty much what they implemented through the overall upgrades for each towers, which at first made you choose which ones to use and eventually you just used them all. However I do see what you mean here...although if these were implemented they might replace regular upgrades if their better because for example I would rather have 6 soldiers out than 3 knights for example. Maybe implementing them so they can only be used when the towers are fully upgraded so they not only not replace original upgrades, but are used when their meant to, for harder/endless modes by which you don't have on anything else to spend the money/need an extra punch when endless waves get harder.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Please give Yin, Yang, Blaze, Frost, and Crystal a visit, they will enjoy the company! :mrgreen:
User

by danray » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:52 pm

I dislike this idea.
User

by mw3blackopsfan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:14 am

Honestly, I think that most changes to the tower leveling up systems are just dumb, but I like this alot
"Every move, every strike, has led up to this" - Makarov
User

by suin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:16 am

mw3blackopsfan wrote:
Honestly, I think that most changes to the tower leveling up systems are just dumb, but I like this alot

Maybe Deti just wanted to make the game more interesting. And I suggest the lvl-up systems should be confined to the Endless Mode in case of any imbalance
User

by deti » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:59 pm

danray wrote:I dislike this idea.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Now I can go back and fix it to your liking lol. :lol:
User

by AlienArtillery » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Just a few suggestions for the barracks troop cap upgrade:

What if that were moved to the skill tree page? so that the upgrade applies to all the barracks? I mean, it would be a little OP but it could cost several stars or be one of the last upgrades to balance that out. I just don't like the idea of every level having to save up for a new soldier, and then winning and having to do it again. Also, the idea of buying several soldiers on one barracks so that you could just get one barracks in a good spot with 10 soldiers doesn't seem like it would be all that appealing. The upgrade tree would be for one soldier, or maybe two upgrades for two, but i think five would be enough.

Other than that, I like most of the ideas, and can't come up with a better idea for the others.
User