Because this needs to be done.

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Because this needs to be done.

by Juice Box » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:03 am

And when I say it needs to be done, I mean, it needs to be done.

So this is an idea I’ve had for a long time now, and I’ve never made a thread about it because I wasa lazy and stuff. But I’m feeling quite uppy-er than usual now, and I’m in a big and fancy hotel with lame WiFi and I am typing this in a Word document, and I am mostly bored because I want to sleep but also want to enjoy the immense cold in this really cool hotel, and so boredom and suffering.

Okay. That was a horrible explanation. But anyways!

One of the absolute most bestest (yes, that is a word. I think,) things about Kingdom Rush is, of course, the artwork. Y’all know that already. The devs know that already. IGN and all the critics and everyone who has played this game knows that already.

And I personally agree. But I’ve never found “good graphics” to be just enough. See, the towers in the game are sort of, umm, out of place most of the mine, so to speak. Like using Rangers in the Icewind Pass. It just feels weird to see a forest-themed tower in an ice-themed level. It feels weird to see a Golden Longbow fighting in the Floating Ruins, or (definitely) an Assassin’s Guild in the Snapvine Forest. The themes are all jumbled up and messy.

I’ve mentioned before that my super-duper favorite aspect of KR is the enemies. Sure, the towers are cool, definitely, but the enemies are just so… united, yet still full of variety, that they’re a great heap of fun to fight.

This sense of unity should, in my opinion, be present in the towers as well. When you have Assassins and Templars fighting in Saurian Depths, they should LOOK like Assassins and Templars fighting in the Saurian DEPTHS. As in, have cavey outfits and stuff. So I’m lazy now, and if you were too lazy to read all of those paragraphs above, because I often get carried away like that, please just read the sentence below:

TL;DR, there should be skin packs for towers.

I think y’all know what I mean by skin packs. But for those with only eight functioning brain cells (Lookin’ at you, BBB), just remember KR Premium Content. You could choose what your reinforcements looked like there, if you want them to be Mortal-Combat themed or Dead-or-Alive themed or whatever. You should be able to do that for towers, too. If you want a desert-themed Crossbow Fort for your desert levels, well, then just go use the desert-themed skin pack and whatever.

Iuno how these things should be implemented, though. I thought of being able to get them through gems, but that’s meeeeh. I’m thinking that Ironhide can make people pay for these themed skin-packs, because, you know, they’re sort of just extra content anyway. I’d certainly be willing to pay an extra buck or two for ‘em. But whatever. My mind is tired because I am sleepy and bored and theses are hard and also cookies and cream flavored ice cream is nice so good night.
User

Re: Because this needs to be done.

by xstargaming » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:23 am

A most intriguing idea, the greatest foreseeable issue is in getting the artists to design the towers. It would, of course, be optional for the player to do so -- in the sense that one could turn it on and off at will. Though, by my viewpoint, doesn't that somewhat shatter the unity of the game as well? I mean to say that across all the levels the towers are kept the same in design and structure as to allow you time to become adjusted to them; if a tower is unlocked after I've moved onto another area (Weirdwood, for example) then shall it appear more similarly to the forest about it, only to be changed in skin later by the earlier levels? In that regard, consistency is broken for onlookers -- for what if someone is promoting it or showing it to someone else with their skins still active? -- and the one who plays the game. That is, of course, providing that the skin automatically adjusted based on location, something which I might have misread in your post...

Anyhow, I believe the thought has a well-found premise, especially as downloadable content. :)
User

by Juice Box » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:38 am

uhh

what

I didn't quite get what you said, because I suck at English, but I think I sort of maybe not really got what you meant. The skin thing would be an optional thing. Like, a controllable thing, like heroes.

So, say you had an Assassins' Guild in a desert-themed level, the Assassins' would of course be desert-themed, right? Well, that wouldn't change once you get to the forest-themed levels, assuming you still want desert-themed Assassins.

Just, if you're fighting Savages and you still want desert-themed Assassins, then go ahead. But if you want jungle-themed Assassins so that it can fit the whole feel and environment of the level, then you should be able to change them as such. For hurray.

Like, it'd work in the same way as the reinforcements skins in KR's Premium Content. A click of a button, and we'll be able to decide what our guys look like. There'd be a cavern-themed option, for example, for Saurian levels, and an ice-themed option for Troll levels, etc etc.

Heck, since Ironhide is so... err, "vast," with their ideas, there can probably even be a few silly options, like giving all the towers a candy-ish theme. And this can even work for the holidays. Is it Christmas time? Well, then we should go make a Christmas-themed skin pack. Is it summer? Summer-themed skin pack. Iuno. Just, I think you were asking if this whole thing would be optional, and, yeah, it is.
User

by xstargaming » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:25 pm

Ah, yes, that clarifies it. I thought you were implying that the towers would change based on region of existence. :)
User

by Finwer » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:03 pm

You have my support JuiceBox! :)
I don't know...I just think that Ironhide should stop making new updates and look at their games a bit.Balancing heroes,some of the towers,implementing this cool idea etc.
I SUPPORT HERO IMPROVEMENTS: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5322
I answered as sincerly as possible and I got my favorite color...YAY!
User

by Juice Box » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:05 pm

yay

Also, since TaTs is going to read this anyway, I'd also like to mention that the reinforcements in KR:F and KR still don't say anything when they're summoned, and that Mirage doesn't shout when she dies.

Bugs, but, y'know, whatevs.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:14 pm

I supoort this, as well. :)

What kind of thematic changes did you have in mind, specifically? For instance, you say make the Templars look like they're in the Saurian depths with cavey outfits, what does that look like?
BBB

by tmn loveblue » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Freaky tower with low lighting torches?
User

by The_TaTs » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:30 pm

Juice Box wrote:yay

Also, since TaTs is going to read this anyway, I'd also like to mention that the reinforcements in KR:F and KR still don't say anything when they're summoned, and that Mirage doesn't shout when she dies.

Bugs, but, y'know, whatevs.

Oh great, now I HAVE TO AT LEAST PRETEND I read all the insanity that pours from this forum.

Mirage doesn't shout because she is tough and stoic, she dies without providing her enemies the satisfaction of a shout.

(Just kidding, we'll check this out). Happy Holidays!
User

by tmn loveblue » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:02 pm

The_TaTs wrote:Mirage doesn't shout because she is tough and stoic, she dies without providing her enemies the satisfaction of a shout.

I thought this was true the first time I found that Mirage has no death quote.
User

by LuluCaico » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:38 pm

I really like this idea. I think all basic level towers could be themed in order to fit the landscape (for free). They would just change according to the environment. Then, the level 4 towers would fit your idea, Juice Box.
Alea jacta est ad Aureum
User

by The_TaTs » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:58 pm

Ok...

Do you know that we ACTUALLY talked about making a few thematic skins for each tower?

And then all the artists rose with self.righteous fury, using torches and pitchforks. And locked all os us in the barn and set it on fire.

Jokes aside. It's true it's a cool thing to add, but the re-skinning of the assets in a game it's easier said than done. We'll look into it. :)
User

by Kannon » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:34 am

The_TaTs wrote:Ok...

Do you know that we ACTUALLY talked about making a few thematic skins for each tower?

And then all the artists rose with self.righteous fury, using torches and pitchforks. And locked all os us in the barn and set it on fire.

Jokes aside. It's true it's a cool thing to add, but the re-skinning of the assets in a game it's easier said than done. We'll look into it. :)

I would rather have random reinforcements (with slightly varying abilities) plus reskin. How about purchaseable reinforcement types just like how heroes work? Would love to have, for example, mini Devils or mini Knights to match Vez and Denas

Would pay $$$$ for them. Maybe shuffle the reinforcements make them more interesting.

I would probably spend more to buy stuff for my favorite heroes than buying new heroes to be sure. Yes do add new voice dialogs for new reinforcement types.
User

by tmn loveblue » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:44 am

The_TaTs wrote:And then all the artists rose with self.righteous fury, using torches and pitchforks. And locked all os us in the barn and set it on fire.

I have a freaky feeling that this is a joke about something that actually happened...

Well, unless the artists really protested, I think adding the skins won't make the game too complicated. Maybe a bit excessive and require some decent graphic to avoid making it looks big, and well designed skins so the game won't look cheap, but ... anyway ... if you guys can accomplish it, we will all be very glad ...
User

by billakoz16 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:19 am

This is practicly imposible, It would require to triple the workload of artists if done conventional.
If you want a Special Tower, I am the guy to ask.

Special Towers Here!
User

Location: Greece, the place were dimocracy was born...and destroyed

by wailwail » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:10 am

Triple? All they have to do is recolor some towers and change some small details. They only need to make the base once.
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by Juice Box » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:53 am

wailwail wrote:Triple? All they have to do is recolor some towers and change some small details. They only need to make the base once.

^^Mm. Thank you.
User

by dimumurray » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:48 am

Juice Box wrote:
wailwail wrote:Triple? All they have to do is recolor some towers and change some small details. They only need to make the base once.

^^Mm. Thank you.

If you saw how the sprite sheets for the games are organized (I peeked :)) you'd quickly realize that this would be a mammoth task. There are tons and I mean tons of frames for each type of tower so there is no single base sprite to modify but several.
User

by Zonoro13 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:30 am

dimumurray wrote:
Juice Box wrote:

^^Mm. Thank you.

If you saw how the sprite sheets for the games are organized (I peeked :)) you'd quickly realize that this would be a mammoth task. There are tons and I mean tons of frames for each type of tower so there is no single base sprite to modify but several.

Not necessarily. Some towers don't change with attacks much at all. Look at rangers. Just change the colors of the base tower but keep the guys firing arrows the same and it would be simple. Besides, they could just be color changes, go to photosop and change this shade of green to this shade of gray, tada.
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by Simmonds91 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:50 pm

are the small men in the towers seperate sprites though? just because the tower itself doesnt move doesnt mean they are. seriously though, i doubt any of us really knows just how much work this will take, its perfectly fine saying this and that will be simple, they just need to do this and that, but you arent the one doing the work, things arent ever that simple.
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

Next