Hero Leveling System Combo

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Hero Leveling System Combo

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:43 am

Both forms of leveling in the KR games are fun in their own way. KR makes encounters between your hero and enemies feel more important, bcause the hero in turn gets insanely strong. Frontiers and Origins give a great feeling of permanence amd satisfaction as the hero becomes stronger for good. However, even though the hero is a full strength and no longer has the worry of constantly fighting to get more powerful, we don't get the pleasure of working towards that strength again, since restarting the game is not worth it. So, I propose that there be an option to play the game in which the KR and Frontiers leveling systems be combined.

I will use Arivan as an example, because he's the best hero that all players with Origins have. The player must 1st level up Arivan normally, acquiring all of his stats and powers. Once he reaches level 10, he is at a lower or equal level statistically at the start of in-game battles (if this optional method is activated). All 36 of his skill points can then be set to be leveled up for each time he levels up in-game. What this means is that when Arivan is in an actual level, he can gain more experience from killing enemies. He levels up faster and has reduced stat growth, but when he levels up, he gets 4 skill points worth of abilites added for him.

To put more emphasis on this, I'll go into detail. He will begin each battle with stats close to or equal to his maximum so that the game isn't impossibly hard at the beginning, but have none of his skills. Upon reaching, say, level 11(if his starting level was still 10), he then acquired the skills the player set for him to acquire; let's say Seal of Fire II for instance. He now has the skill at the 2nd level of power, and sightly higher stats than at level 10. Stat growth can be smaller, but remain significant. As he burns Gnolls to ashes, Arivan gets to level 12, with more stats and the purchase of his tornado skill, also costing all 4 of points. Later, he eventually reaches level 13, where his stats increase again and the player decided to get him Lightning Strike II, which cost 3 points. The 1 extra point was saved. When he gets to 14, the player uses the 5 points to get his 2nd form of the tornado, costing all 5 points. This continues until level 20, where he obtains all of his skills at maximum power and has about 50% more stats. He is stronger, but only if the player used him often enough to actually reach that potential, which usually requires an Elite Stage or the final mission. This also comes at the risk of losing lives at the start since he has no abilities to use, forcing the player to use their spells and towers very carefully.

Having this would give players both the finality of leveling up a hero, and the constant satisfaction of killing enemies to get more experience. It'd add more tactics to the gameplay and make heroes more fun to use, as well as altering the playstyle in each level, drastically at higher difficulties. I really do think it would give players a better connection to their heroes, forcing them to use their strengths and weaknesses to their advantage, and fully utilize the differences in ability costs as they carefully pick and change, outside of battle, how the hero levels up, allowing for more experimentation.
BBB

Re: Hero Leveling System Combo

by Simmonds91 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:54 am

So basically... We level him normally but he doesnt get to use his skills until level 11 but the stats stay forever, but from 11- 20 he can use his skills and gets extra stats but those stats and skills that are unlocked only last for that level like kr1?

I dunno... Sounds pretty cool on paper but i despise kr's stat/skill system myself and much (MUCH!!! :x with a passion!!) prefer frontiers and origins permanent stat/skill gain. :)
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by tmn loveblue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:07 am

I'm afraid that people will never use this mode due to fear of an UP hero.

It would be too much rebalancing for the devs to handle if this concept is applied, actually, but I would still share my opinion.

I think that the hero system of KRF and KRO should be kept mostly the same, first so that one still have the satisfaction of using a hero with a full set of abilitiess.

Now, each hero would have two more active skills. Say, Alric, beside Flurry and Sandwarrior, also have Iron Armor and Champion's Strike. These skills are listed right under his portrait and stat bars. You have no idea what they do until you have tried them out, since only their names are shown, like the abilities of KR heroes.

When you use Alric to play a level, he has two level bars, one horizontal, and the other vertical. The horizontal bar is the normal hero level bar, which moves slowly and grant Hero Points. The other is the stage-specific level bar, which moves much faster. Once the hero levels up this level bar, s/he gain one of the two extra skills, which powers up as the hero keep leveling up the stage-specific bar. The second skill is also unlocked latter, and increase in power like the first one. When the hero max out this level bar, s/he should have two more active skills to battle the mobs that come later in the stage.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:58 pm

tmn loveblue wrote:I'm afraid that people will never use this mode due to fear of an UP hero.

It would be too much rebalancing for the devs to handle if this concept is applied, actually, but I would still share my opinion.

I think that the hero system of KRF and KRO should be kept mostly the same, first so that one still have the satisfaction of using a hero with a full set of abilitiess.

Now, each hero would have two more active skills. Say, Alric, beside Flurry and Sandwarrior, also have Iron Armor and Champion's Strike. These skills are listed right under his portrait and stat bars. You have no idea what they do until you have tried them out, since only their names are shown, like the abilities of KR heroes.

When you use Alric to play a level, he has two level bars, one horizontal, and the other vertical. The horizontal bar is the normal hero level bar, which moves slowly and grant Hero Points. The other is the stage-specific level bar, which moves much faster. Once the hero levels up this level bar, s/he gain one of the two extra skills, which powers up as the hero keep leveling up the stage-specific bar. The second skill is also unlocked latter, and increase in power like the first one. When the hero max out this level bar, s/he should have two more active skills to battle the mobs that come later in the stage.

That's interesting, but combined with the hero's other skills that the already have, they'd be OP unless the skills did nearly non-existent damage, in which case it'd be a waste of time. Maybe activating this mode could cause the hero to have weaker skills overall, but not too much weaker, and the extra bonus skills over time would balance it out and make them even stronger. :idea:
BBB

by billakoz16 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:51 pm

It would reqcuire too much work and I don't thing it would actually be that great. Sure ice cream is nice and so is pizza but imagine them combined.
This is a common mistake. Don't splash them together, you'l just make a mess, rather see what good lies in their very core of each leveling system and come up with one that has both.
If you want a Special Tower, I am the guy to ask.

Special Towers Here!
User

Location: Greece, the place were dimocracy was born...and destroyed

by tmn loveblue » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:26 pm

We need to rebalance the skills of each KRF and KRO heroes to make this work, surely. A lot of work, but can be done if the devs are not so busy right now.
User

by wailwail » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:12 pm

But Tmn. They aren't busy now. It's not like they are working on another game.
User

Location: In Linirea , protecting Denas as his personal guard

by Juice Box » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:40 pm

wailwail wrote:But Tmn. They aren't busy now. It's not like they are working on another game.

Umm, yes, they are.

They said they can't even rebalance the KR:F heroes yet. If they can't do that, they probably can't add a new feature, either.
User