Just my opinion: KR games are now lacking of ideas

The place to make/discuss Kingdom Rush suggestions.

Just my opinion: KR games are now lacking of ideas

by LuluCaico » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:40 pm

I don´t know if this post was supposed to be here. But what I want to say is that the ideas for towers are limited. At least for some of them.
I can explain better:
Barracks: We don´t have to worry about them, there are an infinity of ideas for warriors, like gladiators, spartans, amazons, dwarves, etc.
Archers: I think they´re one of the problems. They still have some ideas, like blowpipes, ballistas, javelins, gun powered weapons... But the devs will have to imagine something cool and theme matching (M. Garrison doesn´t fit) in order to make towers.
Mages: Same as barracks.
Bombards: I think they are the biggest problem. Lv. 4 towers have to be cool and can´t escape a lot of the main conception of bombardments. e.g. The Tesla is cool, but it doesn´t match with bombards... So as DWAARP. The druids were a good strategy to replace the bombs. If there´s a new game, what will we have? Real Bombards or another strategy to make different towers but with the same mechanics?

What u think?
Alea jacta est ad Aureum
User

Re: Just my opinion: KR games are now lacking of ideas

by The_TaTs » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:52 pm

We are out of ideas "now"? Like now in this instant?

How did that happen? I was sure we had left plenty of ideas on the top shelf to the right last night!
Damn it!

Now we'll have to go and buy more!
User

by kevin32 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:34 pm

The_TaTs wrote:Now we'll have to go and buy more!

You mean "ideas" can now be purchased in the gnome shop!?
User

Location: In Machu Picchu, communing with the gods of tower defense.

by billakoz16 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:11 pm

kevin32 wrote:
The_TaTs wrote:Now we'll have to go and buy more!

You mean "ideas" can now be purchased in the gnome shop!?

IT IS CONFIRMED
If you want a Special Tower, I am the guy to ask.

Special Towers Here!
User

Location: Greece, the place were dimocracy was born...and destroyed

by kevin32 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:33 am

@LuluCaico

I don't think the games are lacking in ideas. Just because we can't think of ideas for improving the game doesn't mean Ironhide can't think of them.

It sounds like what you're looking for is a visual or aesthetic match between towers. I personally thought that Frontiers' towers were the most "mismatched" in terms of tower selection. Desert assassins, jungle axe-throwers, and high-tech Dwaarps don't really look like they belong together as a team (and that's just my opinion). But Origins has a fine balance so that any selected tower looks good with any other tower.

Another option for consideration is regional towers: towers that match the land and climate they're in. It's possible to make this work, but the tower skins for a given region would need to be changed very subtly to avoid confusing the player.

Remember the games attempt to be simplistic in nature, so it's not like Ironhide is out of ideas. Quite the contrary: They're *full* of ideas; the real challenge is choosing only a few of those ideas from an abundance of options to fit into a simplistic game.
User

by LuluCaico » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:58 am

The_TaTs wrote:We are out of ideas "now"? Like now in this instant?

How did that happen? I was sure we had left plenty of ideas on the top shelf to the right last night!
Damn it!

Look, my intention wasn´t say that you were out of ideas NOW. What I meant is that some kind of towers have their limitations. I´m sorry if what I said offended you, but it´s just what I think.
Alea jacta est ad Aureum
User

by LuluCaico » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:09 am

kevin32 wrote:@LuluCaico

I don't think the games are lacking in ideas. Just because we can't think of ideas for improving the game doesn't mean Ironhide can't think of them.

It sounds like what you're looking for is a visual or aesthetic match between towers. I personally thought that Frontiers' towers were the most "mismatched" in terms of tower selection. Desert assassins, jungle axe-throwers, and high-tech Dwaarps don't really look like they belong together as a team (and that's just my opinion). But Origins has a fine balance so that any selected tower looks good with any other tower.

Another option for consideration is regional towers: towers that match the land and climate they're in. It's possible to make this work, but the tower skins for a given region would need to be changed very subtly to avoid confusing the player.

Remember the games attempt to be simplistic in nature, so it's not like Ironhide is out of ideas. Quite the contrary: They're *full* of ideas; the real challenge is choosing only a few of those ideas from an abundance of options to fit into a simplistic game.

What I said wasn´t about improving the current games. I thought in something for "new KRs". And I also disagree with your opinion about Frontier´s towers. The Assassins match with desert and the axe-throwers have a lore to explain why they joined the army. The Templars are there to match the Assassins, such as in Assassin´s Creed.
Alea jacta est ad Aureum
User

by kevin32 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:37 am

How about we stay on topic and not nit-pick over wording and other people's opinions...

What type of archer and artillery towers would you like to see for new KRs? Or what *don't* you want to see?
User

by tmn loveblue » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:08 am

I don't want to see heavily futuristic stuff. KR should stay by its theme, simple and well done.
User

by razieltnt » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:10 pm

tmn loveblue wrote:I don't want to see heavily futuristic stuff.

.... said by guy, who has an avatar of a creature with futuristic armor, wielding liquid lasers as whips

Saurians in KR represent the futuristic side of the franchise (not to mention Sha'tra)

sorry, couldn't resist.
This is the most boozesome, alcohol-soaked dwarven moradinian warrior cleric that I have ever drank with.
Thank You RaZoR LeAf for Your time and commitment.
User

by MonkeyMania007 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:11 pm

I don't think the problem lies with the towers, just look at the community. There are basically endless ideas for cool well-thought out towers. No, I think the problem lies with the lack new game mechanics. Hero upgrades and the desert theme are what made KRF differ from KR for me (not counting the towers of course). KRO did add the new hero spell and three very unique themes, which was great, but I'd like there to be something that really changes the game. Paths that rotate and switch real-time, a fifth tower type, PvP battles (look up Empires of Sand), create-a-level, completely new themes etc. I feel the Rising Tides mini-campaign did a great job at introducing water as an important gameplay element + enemies immune to certain tower types. I feel like a new game/update is just more levels and heroes (rarely new themes). I'd like to see more focus on mechanics :)
User

by MisterX » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:24 pm

MonkeyMania007 wrote:I don't think the problem lies with the towers, just look at the community. There are basically endless ideas for cool well-thought out towers. No, I think the problem lies with the lack new game mechanics. Hero upgrades and the desert theme are what made KRF differ from KR for me (not counting the towers of course). KRO did add the new hero spell and three very unique themes, which was great, but I'd like there to be something that really changes the game. Paths that rotate and switch real-time, a fifth tower type, PvP battles (look up Empires of Sand), create-a-level, completely new themes etc. I feel the Rising Tides mini-campaign did a great job at introducing water as an important gameplay element + enemies immune to certain tower types. I feel like a new game/update is just more levels and heroes (rarely new themes). I'd like to see more focus on mechanics :)

You forgot Shadowmoon.
Shadowmoon had a new mechanic with its moon effecting enemies in different ways.
For example Fungal and Rotten Forest had also its pools spawning dusks and swamp things if your units die but i understand what you want to say.
You just see mechanics sometimes in some levels, like controlling two heroes and so on.
Ironhide didn't change a lot through the series because kingdom rush was a great success and they found their formula for success.
They did change some stuff but never the core concept and even if they changed some concepts, than it was done carefully like adding heroes or an endless mode, we never saw game breaking changes.
Some people are happy others would like to see major changes.
User

by The_TaTs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:01 pm

LuluCaico wrote:

Damn it!

Look, my intention wasn´t say that you were out of ideas NOW. What I meant is that some kind of towers have their limitations. I´m sorry if what I said offended you, but it´s just what I think.

Now now, we weren't offended at all. I responded with what aimed to be a joke.

You are entitled to have any opinion you want, and we do appreciate constructive criticism. We learn a lot from it. So keep it up. 8-)
User

by LuluCaico » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:45 pm

kevin32 wrote:How about we stay on topic and not nit-pick over wording and other people's opinions...

What type of archer and artillery towers would you like to see for new KRs? Or what *don't* you want to see?

Something that makes sense! For archers, I´d like to see something not necessarily creative, but different. The Axe-throwers were a good option to fit the natives and could be replaced with blowpipes (but the savage hunters already use that), for example. Ballista, javelins, slingshots, boomerangs are examples of I´d like to see. But for artillery, I don´t have any really good suggestion and where I think that are the main tower limitations. All the 3 KRs had kind of a formula to Lv 4 artillery towers: 1 keep with the bombs/rocks (B. Bertha, Mecha, Arch-druid) and the other went to another creative way (Tesla, DWAARP, Weirdwood).
Another point: The use of gunpowder. If it´s confirmed that "all" the kingdom already have knowledge of its use, so explore them. The dwarves had mastered the gunpowder and use them a lot. What about barracks with pistols? I also would like to see a steampunk version of the game
And I don´t like very futuristic designs, such as the saurians. And also the eletricity.
Alea jacta est ad Aureum
User

by Simmonds91 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:50 am

I want futuristic stuff myself. Cant understand the problem with "mismatched towers" though, i love the variety.
Glory to Atom/Xenu/Bel-Shamharoth/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/HypnoToad/Yog-Sothoth/Kraff/Umbra/Yu-Yevon/Tak/Elynie/Shuma-Gorath/Unicron/RNGesus/ Tats /Hydra/Azrael/Leviathan-Lord of the Labyrinth
User

Location: The Three Jolly Luck Takeaway Fish Bar, Dagon Street, Ankh-Morpork

by billakoz16 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:00 pm

The_TaTs wrote:
LuluCaico wrote:

Damn it!

Now now, we weren't offended at all. I responded with what aimed to be a joke.

You are entitled to have any opinion you want, and we do appreciate constructive criticism. We learn a lot from it. So keep it up. 8-)

Well I have already talk about how I feel that you are a bit stack on the same stuff on KR:O, adding more towers heros e.t.c but with much less novelty and not introducing a single new mechanic.
Still I understand that you can't always come up with stuff, but I'd prefer updates if you don't actually add any new mechanics. and also the balance is way off and the KR:O stages have much less room for different apporaches and I can't really enjoy many challenges in them as they are much less vaiable, I think you confuse difficulty with letting someone defeat the level with obly a certain way, also trying to incorporate dps in a barracks is just silly, tried it in custom turrets , disgusted with the community and we agreed that it will either be op or useless cause it cant compare to arches for dps, in the end it just removes the barracks flexibility.
If you want a Special Tower, I am the guy to ask.

Special Towers Here!
User

Location: Greece, the place were dimocracy was born...and destroyed