Community Mini-Campaign: Burning Skies Content

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Re: Community Mini-Campaign: Burning Skies Content

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:46 am

Juice Box wrote:That's why I'll have two WIld Magi, instead of one Magi and one Barracks. The DPS of two or more Magi reigning down on a single Dragonling would be sufficient to stun it quickly enough. And either way, it's still better than using Barracks, since computing for damage shows that even all three Rangers will die after only 5-8 fireballs, assuming the 6 extra fire damage pulls through. Since Dragonlings are so common and the Rangers will all die at the same time thanks to the AoE, you'll be better off just getting more damage-based towers.

Personally, I think you should just remove the Dragonling AoE. Being able to kill all three of your Rangers in a few short hits seems much too OP for a basic enemy, and doesn't encourage Barracks at all. Atleast if the AoE was removed and Dragonling attacks were single-target, the player would still have incentive to use Barracks, even if a large enough mob can still dispose them quickly.

I changed the Dragonling's damage drastically and reduced their bounty from 20 to 15.

Still, the barracks strategy is better. 2 Wild Magi don't have enough range to ever deal 200 damage to a single fast enemy, let alone several of them. It's especially better to use barracks now that they have less damage. ;)
BBB

by Juice Box » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:58 am

Yyyyyayyyyyy! \(*U*)/

Now to petition that this update be real, so that I can kill some Draconian nublets :b .
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:44 pm

Juice Box wrote:Yyyyyayyyyyy! \(*U*)/

Now to petition that this update be real, so that I can kill some Draconian nublets :b .

:yey:

Don't petition yet; there are still 2 more levels to create. ;)
BBB

by magicmetal03 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:29 am

With more new dragons to create,too.
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by Sinque Productions » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Do you think you could get Razor to make another map (or edit the one he gave you) to show where they enemies travel?
Like use both maps.
The above message has been sent by The Killian Experience version of Addy.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Sinque Productions wrote:Do you think you could get Razor to make another map (or edit the one he gave you) to show where they enemies travel?
Like use both maps.

I've edited the initial post with a more detailed version of the map and another with coloured lines showing the path of the enemies. It's a bit messy because there are so many paths and waves but you get the general idea. Also I have a full sized version of the map there as a link, so feel free to look at that in the same scale it was drawn. I've added two more Strategic Points and changed the top left entrance to a hidden one, that will be opened up mid way through the level, rather than visible from the start. I think this has a better dynamic for an elite level.
Yes it's me

by Big Bad Bug » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Do you have a saved version of the map on your computer? You might need to edit it depending on what type of environmental addition is included in the level.
BBB

by RaZoR LeAf » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:44 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:Do you have a saved version of the map on your computer? You might need to edit it depending on what type of environmental addition is included in the level.

Of course. Still in its seperate lauers for easy editing.
Yes it's me

by Juice Box » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:16 am

Gotta admit, that map's really cool-looking, much better than the first. Though I can't seem to tell what that statue in the middle is. Either way, though, nice :D .
User

by Ruby_Hex » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:25 am

I'm pretty sure that the statue is off a dragon, clutching a purple orb-lookin' thing, Juicebox. I'm not sure, though.
Anyway, one thing I noticed is that the enemies don't really seem to compliment each other. I mean, they are all dragon-like, but other than that they seem a tad bit random. Let me elaborate...

The Hydra enemy, while being very cool and original, is a little bizarre among dragons. The only real similarity that they have to the other dragons is that they are lizard-like.

The Thunderwyverns have electric abilities...okay... Random, especially compared to the other dragons, but cool.

Dragonlings are cool, basic dragon enemies. Not much else.

Is it just me or are Drakes just a little bit too similar to Dragonlings? I think they would be better with more earthy colours. <---(Yes I'm Canadian, eh?)

Hardscales I think are really cool, but they have a coloration that I think is a little off compared to other dragons.

And lastly, none of the names seem to compliment each other, either. That's just a nit-pick, though. Every dragon seems a little bit out of place compared to the others. For example, with the Saurians, they all had green colours, silvery armor and energy weapons. These enemies seem like they have no definitive theme. Oh well, it's probably just me, anyway. :lol:
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by Big Bad Bug » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:59 am

Saurians are good because they all had green colours and silvery equipment but Draks and Dragonlings are bad because they are too similar? :?

People voted for choices because they were individually really cool to fight, not looking for a direct connection between them all. I'd say that, overall, the dragons compliment each other by being so different, thematically showing the diversity of the species and how powerful dragons are by being formidable in any form and any age, while gameplay-wise, they force a balanced mix of towers for the player's strategy to work against every enemy. So, it isn't a problem in my view. :)
BBB

by Sinque Productions » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:00 am

RaZoR LeAf wrote:I've edited the initial post with a more detailed version of the map and another with coloured lines showing the path of the enemies. It's a bit messy because there are so many paths and waves but you get the general idea. Also I have a full sized version of the map there as a link, so feel free to look at that in the same scale it was drawn. I've added two more Strategic Points and changed the top left entrance to a hidden one, that will be opened up mid way through the level, rather than visible from the start. I think this has a better dynamic for an elite level.

Looks amazing! Your best work, I'd say. My favorite part is the statue and then the walls :D
User

by Ruby_Hex » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:04 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:Saurians are good because they all had green colours and silvery equipment but Draks and Dragonlings are bad because they are too similar? :?

People voted for choices because they were individually really cool to fight, not looking for a direct connection between them all. I'd say that, overall, the dragons compliment each other by being so different, thematically showing the diversity of the species and how powerful dragons are by being formidable in any form and any age, while gameplay-wise, they force a balanced mix of towers for the player's strategy to work against every enemy. So, it isn't a problem in my view. :)

That's a good point. I didn't want to make Saurians look better than these enemies, just my opinion
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by The Kingmaker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:32 am

Yeah, I like how varied our dragons are, giving a hint of the intellect and untapped powers that we have yet to see from the elusive race
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Juice Box » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:51 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:Saurians are good because they all had green colours and silvery equipment but Draks and Dragonlings are bad because they are too similar? :?

Really? I thought the main connector between them was their flight, and that their strategies mostly composed of always having individual weaknesses that you'll have to take note of.

Dragonlings, for example, are sort of like Greenfins in that they're too fast to take down without Barracks, meaning you'll have to devote a specific area to counter them, probably with a Wild Magus-Ranger combo (I'm assuming Bladesingers would actually be worse against Dragonlings, since Rangers can shoot back).

Hardscales, on the other hand, can't be countered by a mixture of archers and mages--it has to be only one, to maximize the damage you deal to him.

Then of course the Hydra, who practically asks of you to have an instakill in your defenses, since they're practically invulnerable to AOE and DPS can only do so much against them.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that, while most enemies in KR campaigns counter the player by entering the battlefield nullifying a specific strategy, the dragons counter the player by being invulnerable to nullification except for a specific strategy, a key weakness that you'll have to find for yourself. You'll have to devote a specific area to take down that Hydra as quick as possible, probably with Crimson Sentence spam, but then other dragons will probably just laugh as Crimson Sentence doesn't work as well on them (lol Hardscale). Archdruids will also probably be vital against Drakes, as their Runed Bears and Sylvan Curse can both stall and deal damage, but the silly druids are useless against Dragonlings, who require a Ranger-Magus duo to be properly disposed of.

So yeah. I don't think their diversity, per se, is their theme, I think it's how they force the player to create specific killzones for specific enemy types, something I'm sure would be very interesting to see if it actually did happen in KR.
User

by The Kingmaker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Diversity is also a good thing in other groups. Most of KR has two types of enemies to diversify tower choices.

I say again , the Fae are my favourite enemy type because they have spiders, Twilight Elves, Satyrs (pronounced satires you nublets) and all manner of strange and excellent creatures. After my Dwarven Halls MC (some point during summer) I'm making a Fae one with anything my strangely-free mind will be able to think of by then. An appearance for a Jabberwocky would be my first port of call.

My treasured creations:
User

by Ninja » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:32 pm

The Kingmaker wrote:Diversity is also a good thing in other groups. Most of KR has two types of enemies to diversify tower choices.

I say again , the Fae are my favourite enemy type because they have spiders, Twilight Elves, Satyrs (pronounced satires you nublets) and all manner of strange and excellent creatures. After my Dwarven Halls MC (some point during summer) I'm making a Fae one with anything my strangely-free mind will be able to think of by then. An appearance for a Jabberwocky would be my first port of call.

*Jabberwock

Jabberwocky is the name of the poem, Jabberwock is the creature itself.
:hero:
User

by The Kingmaker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:34 pm

*bows to acknowledge the superior understanding*

My treasured creations:
User

by Sinque Productions » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:38 pm

I think the dragons look good because they look like the Saurian. Yes that's a complement to you Kingmaker ;)
User

by Sinque Productions » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Also, will there be a boss? Like the dragon king[maker] or something?
If so you will do voting for it right?
User

PreviousNext