Community Mini-Campaign: Burning Skies Content

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Re: Community Mini-Campaign: Burning Skies Content

by Big Bad Bug » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:46 am

Juice Box wrote:
Big Bad Bug wrote:Saurians are good because they all had green colours and silvery equipment but Draks and Dragonlings are bad because they are too similar? :?

People voted for choices because they were individually really cool to fight, not looking for a direct connection between them all. I'd say that, overall, the dragons compliment each other by being so different, thematically showing the diversity of the species and how powerful dragons are by being formidable in any form and any age, while gameplay-wise, they force a balanced mix of towers for the player's strategy to work against every enemy. So, it isn't a problem in my view. :)

Really? I thought the main connector between them was their flight, and that their strategies mostly composed of always having individual weaknesses that you'll have to take note of.

Dragonlings, for example, are sort of like Greenfins in that they're too fast to take down without Barracks, meaning you'll have to devote a specific area to counter them, probably with a Wild Magus-Ranger combo (I'm assuming Bladesingers would actually be worse against Dragonlings, since Rangers can shoot back).

Hardscales, on the other hand, can't be countered by a mixture of archers and mages--it has to be only one, to maximize the damage you deal to him.

Then of course the Hydra, who practically asks of you to have an instakill in your defenses, since they're practically invulnerable to AOE and DPS can only do so much against them.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that, while most enemies in KR campaigns counter the player by entering the battlefield nullifying a specific strategy, the dragons counter the player by being invulnerable to nullification except for a specific strategy, a key weakness that you'll have to find for yourself. You'll have to devote a specific area to take down that Hydra as quick as possible, probably with Crimson Sentence spam, but then other dragons will probably just laugh as Crimson Sentence doesn't work as well on them (lol Hardscale). Archdruids will also probably be vital against Drakes, as their Runed Bears and Sylvan Curse can both stall and deal damage, but the silly druids are useless against Dragonlings, who require a Ranger-Magus duo to be properly disposed of.

So yeah. I don't think their diversity, per se, is their theme, I think it's how they force the player to create specific killzones for specific enemy types, something I'm sure would be very interesting to see if it actually did happen in KR.

Their diversity is what forces players to create specific killzones. ;) I appreciate the great deal of writing dedicated to the enemies; it makes me more proud to see the creations being discussed, or even thought about at all. :mrgreen:
BBB

by Manijure » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:21 pm

My brief thoughts on the newly designed enemies:

Everdragon: Essentially the Blacksurge of Burning Skies, except his annoying perk is revival. 33% chance is pretty balanced, though.
Goldwing: I think the thing that stands the most about Goldwings is the fact that they can be toppled. It's a clever concept that balances out an otherwise OP enemy, and I hope KR 4 could implement something similar.
Black Angel Dragon: Pretty OP for a flying enemy, considering the total 108 poison damage and possible instakill. Cool concept, though. I like flying enemies that do more than just fly.
Archdragon: OP minibosses with a diverse arsenal of awesome. I like the elemental touch to it; more minibosses need to be designed like this. :)
"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
User

by Ninja » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:26 pm

The Archdragon is ridiculously OP. There's no way that you could win the level with those things flying around, especially in conjunction with the also OP and more common Black Angel Dragon, who would just kill everything that the Archdragon doesn't while the miniboss flies through the exit unhindered with its cheap flight chance. ;)
:hero:
User

by Juice Box » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:20 am

Shut up, Ninja, you're just too weak and too not-present on Discord to beat the thing :b .

The Archdragon seems superfun to fight, but I'm not a fan of how complicated he is. He's basically a lot of smaller abilities we've seen before packed into a gigantic health sponge. The rest of the dragons are definitely cool, though.
User

by Ninja » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Juice Box wrote:Shut up, Ninja, you're just too weak and too not-present on Discord to beat the thing :b .

Well, I was warned that I shouldn't join by two of the people that did join. ;)
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Juice Box wrote:Shut up, Ninja, you're just too weak and too not-present on Discord to beat the thing :b .

The Archdragon seems superfun to fight, but I'm not a fan of how complicated he is. He's basically a lot of smaller abilities we've seen before packed into a gigantic health sponge. The rest of the dragons are definitely cool, though.

Where are there enemies that reduce tower attack speed or range, or create tornadoes that absorb projectiles and use them against your troops? ;)
BBB

by Ninja » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:21 pm

I reiterate:

Ninja wrote:The Archdragon is ridiculously OP. There's no way that you could win the level with those things flying around, especially in conjunction with the also OP and more common Black Angel Dragon, who would just kill everything that the Archdragon doesn't while the miniboss flies through the exit unhindered with its cheap flight chance. ;)

The Archdragon needs an extreme nerf. (And so does the BAD, to a lesser extent [I like how Black Angel Dragon is 'BAD' in acronym form :P ].)
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Ok, I made some changes. Sorry, Ninja, it's just that JB's comment was easier to address. ;)

Both Dragons have less health. The AD has 1/3 resistance to both damage types instead of 50%.

All attacks have been reduced in damage and/or duration.

The AD flies for a shorter amount of time. It gives slightly less gold now.

Tornado duration has been added.
BBB

by Ninja » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Good. The AD definitely needed that HP nerf. 15000 would be pretty ridiculous.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:00 pm

The Dragon Soul Harvester has been added to the OP. :D

"Never laugh at undead dragons!" :skull:
BBB

by Uranato » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:56 am

Could you also post pictures of all the dragons?
User

Previous