Kingdom Rush Heroes-Merdalf

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Kingdom Rush Heroes-Merdalf

by valcedon » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Merdalf
Ice Wizard

Lore
Merdalf is a powerful elemental wizard. He studied the power of the elements, particularly the power of ICE. He served as a wizard with all of the kings mages. He even had his own mage tower, but he sought after more...He decided to become an elementalist. So he then had to choose an element to work with, or become an all-round elementalist. He chose to concentrate mainly on the element of ICE. He travelled past the Coldstep Mines, through the Icewind Pass and to the Stormcloud Temple. There he practiced ice magic and worshipped the mighty yeti J.T. to give himself confidence, for he thought J.T. was a good yeti who guarded the Stormcloud Temple and he thought it right to worship a good guardian. But he later found out J.T. was an evil beast! So he left the temple as a fully trained ice wizard, studying the arts of ice magic and using it to fight the forces of evil...

Stats
Health:230
Health regen:30
Armour:none
Magic resistance:high
Damage:50-60
Attack speed:slow
Respawn:15 seconds
Movement:slow(can teleport)
Ranged magic attack dealing 50-60 damage

Skills
Precipitation
-Rains down small shards of ice on an area dealing 30/50/80 damage

Shard of ice
-unleashes a massive shard of ice that thrusts out of the ground(kind of like the core drill from the dwaarp in kingdom rush frontiers)which deals 60/85/120 damage with a chance of instant kill

Ice rink
-Merdalf throws a ball of ice that explodes and covers the path in ice. All enemies on the ice path freeze for 4/8/12 seconds and lose 30/50/80 health every second.

Cold heart
-increases Merdalfs health by 30/60/90

Hero spell
The blizzard
Snow rains down on the whole path slowing the enemies down barely/moderately/significantly and dealing 150/200/300 damage

Quotes
"Winter is coming..."
"Freeze!"
"Let it snow"
"Dashing through the snow"

and that's my second hero, I hope you like him cuz there will be plenty more on the way!
Leave any suggestions down below. Thanks! :D
:veznan: valcedon :veznan:
User

Re: Kingdom Rush Heroes-Merdalf

by EliBarracuda » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:25 pm

I like it in general. Background story and artwork are nice but it slightly reminds me of Vez'nan, maybe without hood he would look more original (just a suggestion). I think he is a little bit too similar to Elora, especially Precipitation skill and "winter is coming" quote. Other quotes and skills, however fit well with characteristics of your Hero. As I've said, good job and I would like to see more from you.
User

by valcedon » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Ok thanks. I personally never used Elora which is why I didn't now that she used those quotes/skills but thanks for telling me. I will definatly be making more characters later on so stay tuned! :D
User

by AerisDraco » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Ice Rink is very OP, but otherwise the hero is fairly balanced, and with good art to boot1
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by valcedon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:16 pm

AerisDraco wrote:Ice Rink is very OP, but otherwise the hero is fairly balanced, and with good art to boot1

Oh sorry I'll make it less op then and thanks for the compliment :)
User

by Ruby_Hex » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:17 pm

Very cool. I really love his design! I might be wrong, but it seems to me that "shard of ice" is a tad bit UP. Maybe it could be something like 150 / 230 / 310 damage with a 45% chance to insta-kill? I dunno, it just seems that the damage that the ability would deal if it doesn't insta-kill is rather low. I mean, as it is, it would barely scratch a twilight avenger even on easy mode. But then again, the insta-kill might make up for it. Ah well, It's just a suggestion. Keep up the good work on these heroes!
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by FastAndBlast » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Ice Rink is OP:
12 x 80 = 960 damage
as well as 12 second stun

That is very OP, Lilith's Hero ability deals 1200 damage when this deals 960 damage and stuns for 12

Otherwise, good art, cool hero and remember to keep making heroes :)
I am the mighty Pixel Artist
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:07 am

Your artwork is better than I could hope for. I like black being complimented by a dark color like red, green, or, in this case, blue. I like evil heroes. I like wizards. I like ice. I like glass cannons. Overall, I just absolutely love everything about his aesthetics! :D

I feel like he's rather underpowered compared to other heroes in Origins, though. With lower health than Vez'nan and only slightly better average damage (though his attacks are far more reliable since the range from minimum to maximum damage is only 10), his stats are pretty weak and the abilities don't do much to make up for it.

Precipitation is an alright skill, reminding me a lot of Elora's Ice Storm skill, but without specifying the amount of ice spikes that come down, and the name isn't very indicative of the power behind a skill that rains down ice spikes.

Shard of Ice seems like it has an incredibly cool animation! I like that a lot. If I must nitpick, there's no specification on the instant kill chance, which is vital for balance.

Ice Rink is really, really cool! It deals an insane amount of damage and practically freezes every enemy until death, but it's a refreshingly epic skill compared to the weak powers and stats that I've seen so far. Does it balance out the power level of the other abilities? No; it's too extreme for one skill to do all of the damage and the other ones to be barely useful, since it makes every other power seem pointless in comparison. However, if the difference wasn't as severe, then the skills would work because they'd have more presence. I wouldn't mind if Ice Rink was still stronger than the other powers, but it would have to be in a way that kept the whole hero balanced overall and would also allow the other abilities to make more of a difference.

I'm rather disappointed with Cold Heart. All it does is give more health to a hero who won't engage in melee anyways. People want upgrade slots that give the hero additional ways to be used to effectively wipe out the forces of evil. This doesn't add anything to the way we use the hero; it just makes some numbers higher. I'm interested in what else you have in your imagination. ;)

Blizzard is the most adequate that a skill can be. Nothing special, but nothing wrong, unless you consider it overly-simplistic.

Overall, I'd appreciate more detail in the hero's abilities, but I adore everything about his aesthetics, which is usually the part that I don't care for in a lot of heroes. I'm glad that I checked this thread. :mrgreen:

by valcedon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks a lot for a the positive feedback I really appreciate it! :D
User

by Ruby_Hex » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:32 am

I just noticed this now... Is his name, perchance, a portmanteau of Merlin and Gandalf?
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by valcedon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:22 am

Ruby_Hex wrote:I just noticed this now... Is his name, perchance, a portmanteau of Merlin and Gandalf?

Yeah it is, I'm actually surprised you are the only one to figure it out. :)
User

by ShaDowAn » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:07 pm

I had a thought that Merdalf kinda sounded like Gandalf..
I go by Wintrytale or Wintry now.
User

by Big Bad Bug » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:33 pm

valcedon wrote:
Ruby_Hex wrote:I just noticed this now... Is his name, perchance, a portmanteau of Merlin and Gandalf?

I got that, too, but I thought it was too obvious to bother pointing out. :P
BBB

by Ninja » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:50 pm

Big Bad Bug wrote:
valcedon wrote:

I got that, too, but I thought it was too obvious to bother pointing out. :P

^^
:hero:
User

by Magnus0 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 am

Now I feel stupid for not noticing it...
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by Ruby_Hex » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:57 am

Magnus0 wrote:Now I feel stupid for not noticing it...

Meh, it's not that obvious. (At least, to me.)
User

by magicmetal03 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:51 pm

I didn't notice it. I thought you're just creative and created that name.....
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User