Contest Discussion

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Re: 2017 Contest Discussion

by magicmetal03 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:36 am

magicmetal03 wrote:
Sinque Productions wrote:What is a L5 tower?

Level 5 tower, I presume.
P-Pencil

Mostly ded.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:12 pm

FastAndBlast wrote:May i ask what L5 towers means? (i think it might be level 5 towers but idk how thats related to a card game)

It doesn't relate to a card game. The card game has NOTHING to do with these contests.
Yes it's me

by Ruby_Hex » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:25 am

I'm not sure if this has been done before, but what about a contest in which one must create a hero based off of an enemy type? For example, a hero that's a dagger-wielding bandit, a totem-using savage or a Twilight Drider. Alternatively, the same thing could be done but you make a tower based off of an enemy instead.
Last edited by Ruby_Hex on Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by RaZoR LeAf » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:36 am

Ruby_Hex wrote:I'm not sure if this has been done before, but what about a contest in which one must create a hero based off of an enemy type? For example, a hero that's a dagger-wielding bandit, a totem-wielding savage or a Twilight Drider. Alternatively, the same thing could be done but instead, you make a tower based off of an enemy, instead.

That's a nice idea. I'll add it to the list. We've just done Towers, do we won't do this idea yet.

I'm writing up another new contest that should be ready today or tomorrow. I hope it'll be one that gets a lot of interest.
Yes it's me

by Ruby_Hex » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:26 am

Cool. Thanks!
User

Location: Upon the bridge of Khazad-dhûm, puting up my final stand against the great Balrog Durin's Bane

by FeedDaKingdom » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:38 am

Have a contest about making a special tower been done in the past?
as if the towers that only appear in one level, like sylvan elves, pirate watchtowers, renegades, etc
Every soul is sacred, no one has to die
I just change the pace of inevitability
User

by FastAndBlast » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:48 am

Have a contest for designing a new level that is special as in, the level has to have something that other levels don't for example instead of enemies going through to the exit and you losing lives you have to defend a group of civilians that the enmies engage in combat with
I am the mighty Pixel Artist
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User

by GeminiSparkSP » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:13 am

What about making heroes based on towers?
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by tmn loveblue » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:01 am

I suggest a Hero Remake Contest.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:55 pm

tmn loveblue wrote:I suggest a Hero Remake Contest.

Maybe, but there are already two active threads where people are remaking heroes; The Community improves heroes. and Frontierify/Originify Heroes!; so I don't want to make a contest which is effectively repeating what both of those threads are already doing.
Yes it's me

by Ninja » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:37 am

@RaZoR: That's exactly why there should be that contest, though! People are obviously into that, so a contest about it would probably be very successful.
:hero:
User

by The Kingmaker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Seconding Ninja's idea, a hero remake contest would add to, rather than detract from, those threads due to essentially leading to further creation withing them. Once the contest was over, they could be entered into the Community Improves... thread and given feedback and improved further.
Regardless a hero-remake contest would be excellent at any point in the future as well, and the options will only increase as time passes.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

by Magnus0 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:40 pm

I feel like we should pick up contests again. It's been a while since the last one, and there's not much going on on the forums otherwise so a contest might drive some people from discord back to the forums again, if only briefly.
I HAVE CHORTLES!
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Magnus0 wrote:I feel like we should pick up contests again. It's been a while since the last one, and there's not much going on on the forums otherwise so a contest might drive some people from discord back to the forums again, if only briefly.

I stopped hosting contests because 90% of the active members all f****d off to discord. I'm not willing to spend time writing and running a contest for people to pop back for a few posts then go back to their chat room. If you're going to join a forum, then post on the forum. You can post on a forum and use a chat room at the same time, it's called multi-tasking. I managed modding on forum, admining another, SOPing a chat room and being a member of two others for 5 years, whilst also being in uni. It's not difficult.

I have pre-written contests, but I'm not starting them without commitment to the forum.
Yes it's me

by Lord of all evil » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:47 am

Hi guys, I have returned after a long time off the KR forum
I've wondered if we could have a hero campaign contest, where you base a campaign off an existing hero's lore
User

by GeminiSparkSP » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:42 am

RaZoR LeAf wrote:I stopped hosting contests because 90% of the active members all f****d off to discord. I'm not willing to spend time writing and running a contest for people to pop back for a few posts then go back to their chat room. If you're going to join a forum, then post on the forum. You can post on a forum and use a chat room at the same time, it's called multi-tasking. I managed modding on forum, admining another, SOPing a chat room and being a member of two others for 5 years, whilst also being in uni. It's not difficult.

I have pre-written contests, but I'm not starting them without commitment to the forum.

You know Razor, I can almost sympathize with you. Almost. That elitist attitude just holds it back.

An official forum is never truly dead. As long as there's content to discuss, there will always be activity. IH's last new content was 2 years ago, so it should be no surprise that the forum is slowing down in activity. I'm willing to bet that once IM is out, the IM forums will be flooded with threads and discussions, from old and new members alike. Same thing will happen once KR4 is out.

Besides, people join discord to interact without the inhibitions of a forum. We use the forum for long posts, almost like essay notes. Discord however, is a chat room. We chat and make small talk there.

But hey, maybe we really are just f***ing off to discord. Who knows? You're not there, so you wouldn't know.

Seriously though, stop being salty over this. Holding the contests hostage only makes you look like a whiny elitist.
Sigh, no more signature jokes.
User

by RaZoR LeAf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:20 am

Maybe I am being salty. I just dont see why you cant post and chat. That and the need to post "join discord" in every thread as if its a requirement of to join. Advertise it in a sticky thread, thats fine, but I object to it being posted in every other thread.

I will have a look through my files for a small contest to guage interest levels.
Yes it's me

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:36 am

October is almost upon us, would there be any interest in having a Halloween contest? Or is it too soon to have an Iron Marines contest?
Yes it's me

by AerisDraco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 pm

I suppose it depends on what the contest is. I personally prefer contests that aren't too long.
KRA is now complete.
Main Topic

by RaZoR LeAf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:42 pm

AerisDraco wrote:I suppose it depends on what the contest is. I personally prefer contests that aren't too long.

I haven't decided yet if its KR. If you want a small contest, then it can be something simple like a Hero. A bit bigger, well previous Halloween contests have been a mini-campaign (2015) and a Tower set (2016). So maybe a One-off level that has a Secondary Hero and a Special Tower. Enough things to be a relatively big contest and keep people satisfied.

An IM contest would be small and probably not specifically themed, just to ease people into it. It'll be more design and lore than KR contests, due to the fact that the game doesn't list the actual statistics of HP, Attack, Armour, etc. like KR does. Probably a Hero (or two) since they're the easiest to go straight into designing. Future contests then could include Mini-Campaigns (A small moon for example) that expand on the existing planets, Full Campaigns (A new planet of six levels, new enemy set, etc.), or new Units (Soldiers, Mechas, etc).
Yes it's me

PreviousNext