Ainyl, the Scorned

Do you have an epic idea? Share it!

Ainyl, the Scorned

by The Kingmaker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Ainyl, the Scorned: (For Frontiers)

Ainyl looks similar to how she does in Twilight Invasion, but with a few changes. She wears cobbled together and scratched armour over most of her body, her tattered red cloak, with scars visible on her face and any exposed skin. The purple gem from her staff is in what remains of her left hand, blackened and charred, motionless in its grip on the stone. She wields the remains of her staff as a weapon in her right, its sharp, curved blade and long handle acting as a makeshift Rhomphaia.
Health: 250 400 25 Regen 60/s
Armour: 45% (Medium) 75% (High) 5%
Damage: 15-50, 30-65 3-3 physical damage every 2 seconds, slashing with her rhomphaia.
Speed: Slow, limps to the target area. If her shield is up, she can teleport immediately at the cost of 40 shield health.

Powers:
Eerie Protection (Passive): Ainyl is protected by a purple shield that absorbs 60/125/200 damage before shattering. It is replenished after 12 seconds in combat, or 6 seconds out of combat when totally destroyed. Her shield has her armour rating as magic resistance.
Twilight Wrath (10 seconds): The purple crystal on her staff glows, and Ainyl fires a purple light beam at a single enemy that deals 75/125/175 True Damage. It has a 10/20/30% Assimilation chance if the target dies and Ainyl's shield is up, and deals an additional 25/50/75 damage if the shield has been destroyed.
Assimilation (8 seconds): Teleporting an enemy or ally soldier at its moment of death, Ainyl converts it into energy that she absorbs, replenishing her shield by 5/10/15% of the troops’ maximum health, up to the shield’s max health. If regenerating the shield from it being totally destroyed, one of Ainyl's other abilities is recharged by 1/2/3 seconds, and if the shield is intact and merely being reinforced, she becomes invulnerable for 2 seconds.
Banshee Blitz (16 seconds): A hurtling wraith is released from the purple gem, flying into an enemy, rooting it in place and silencing it for 3/5/8 seconds in a wrap of purple light, returning with the wraith to the gem to be Assimilated if killed while scorned. If the shield is intact, it lower's the target's damage by 25/50/75%, whereas if the shield is destroyed the enemy will take 33/67/100% more damage for the duration of the stun/silence.
Blasting Hatred (12 seconds): Ainyl places a blasting curse on an enemy which explodes in 2 seconds and deals 40/80/120 true area damage in a medium radius to all enemies, as well as Reinforcements and barracks. Ainyl, as a Twilight Elf, is immune, but will Assimilate the strongest enemy killed by the blast if more than one enemy is killed. If Ainyl's shield is destroyed, all the enemies and troops killed by the blast are assimilated, whereas if it is intact it will deal an additional 20/30/40 damage and not damage Barracks troops or reinforcements.

Abandoned and shamed, the second daughter of Duredhel fled for her life. Her staff had been shattered when it was cast over the Aredhel Palace balcony, but its purple stone, a minor Gem of Power, was intact. She clutched it in her left hand even as it charred her flesh, and grabbed what remained of the staff in her right.
She had failed to completely gut Aredhel. She had failed to kill the Elven Queen, or even her Jewelsmith husband. She had even failed to protect herself - if not for the giant beetles flooding into the Throne room, the Bladesinger Abbot would have killed her. She was a failure - a mockery. Five years of her life, spreading discontent, stirring support and travelling afar; dealing with those who would fund enemies of Aredhel. Five years of her life, wasted on her late sister’s ambitions.
The Abbot, it seemed, had not taken personal offence at her, she would not still breathe if he had, but many more wanted her bloodline and the power within it gone. She had no knowledge whether or not the blades in the dark that she narrowly evaded were wielded by her enemies, or wrathful old allies, but she fled from them anyway, albeit without reason or purpose. She had done less in more time than in the Five Years serving her sister, but she seethed and bided her time - she was alive, and the gem bestowed a number of new gifts she refined during her constant battles and wanderings.
Her wait was rewarded when she felt a surge of immense, yet doubly familiar power. Through the claw that remained of her hand, she could feel a great release of energy, such that only the death of a powerful sorcerer could give off such a signature. Furthermore she recognised one part of this particular power for she had tasted it herself - Vez'Nan had faced her down alongside her Evoker Clique during the melee in the streets before the Aredhel palace. The death of the Dark Wizard was refreshing - he was one of the few who had outmatched her spell for spell - and despite unsealing the full potential of her gem she had taken care not to assume his powers would not have grown to eclipse her, considering hers had proliferated despite her apathy and lack of dedicated training, but that was irrelevant now - He was gone. The fact he had been slain worried her not, she had felt his ego and overconfidence even as he had blasted her Acolytes, and it had gotten him killed. But the other portion of the energy release was even more dear to her, despite being less informative - in a masterful touch of irony the Tear of Elynie - which her sister had been so adamant to secure - had been uncloaked Astrally when its guardian, presumably Vez'Nan, had been slain. She was close, and it called to her, both in the gem seared into her, created to imitate its power, but also through the blood in her body that allowed her to control the lesser gem - created from the tears of a Goddess.
A smirk emerged on her lips for the first time in years, perhaps the world was not done with her just yet.
Last edited by The Kingmaker on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Aragorn: [Elvish] Sit down, Legolas."

My treasured creations:
The Oddities, The Four Elementals, Gathering Twilight
The Community Improves Heroes
User

Re: Ainyl, the Scorned

by Zonoro13 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:13 am

I like Ainyl
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
-Terry Pratchett

Is this the latest dank meme? -Pencil
User

by The Kingmaker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:59 am

Thank you Zonoro.
Last edited by The Kingmaker on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

My treasured creations:
User

by Minuet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:38 pm

Eerie Protection is something I'd always use when playing with Ainyl.

(But seriously this is really good.)
Back To The Shadows of Hell ~ Be Quick Or Be Dead ~ Let's Get Shooting ~ Natha Daged Dhaer ~ Clear Your Mind ~ Crimson Skies
User

by The Kingmaker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Minuet wrote:Eerie Protection is something I'd always use when playing with Ainyl.

(But seriously this is really good.)

Thanks!

Any other feedback?

From anyone?

*stares into void*

My treasured creations:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:42 am

Hold on, I'll get to this soon. You can't rush good feedback, just like you can't rush a good hero. ;)

[+] SPOILER
Or good Ainyl. :P
BBB

by Ninja » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:59 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:
[+] SPOILER
Or good Ainyl. :P

:roll:
:hero:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:33 am

I like your idea of what Ainyl should be in KR. I do wish that there was more detail included, as there are some things about Ainyl that I would like to know. Regardless, overall, Ainyl looks really fun. I actually want to see Ainyl in the game since there seems to be a lot of stuff that I can try with Ainyl that I can't do with other characters.

Only her main stats are included, but stuff like her regen and respawn would be helpful, especially for this hero, since Eerie Protection adds HP and has a separate regeneration mechanic. I noticed that she is a melee hero, with a high armor rating and powerful physical damage. I would've expected a ranged magic hero, and even though the lore justifies her to have her magic powers become limited, lore in KR is arbitrary, so it could've justified her to have her magic capabilities as well. I'll accept this, though, since it gives Eerie Protection a reason to exist and create this new playstyle.

Eerie Protection is a cooler version than Stone Dance in every way. I like that she has a magic shield similar to Malicia; both of them being Twilight Elven sorceresses who have positions of geat authority justifies that they would have some spells in common. It's a pretty extreme power, making magic attacks nearly useless but physical attacks will destroy it almost instantly. So, she is still very vulnerable to attacks, but gets some leeway for mistakes and lots more space for taking damage from magical enemies, but she loses her tankiness when she gets attacked by certain enemy types, which is very original.

Twilight Wrath is a nice and simple skill. It's a necessity to have some way of dealing good damage, and the bonus from her shield adds to her playstyle a lot more than the description would suggest. After all, she can't take physical damage or else she will lose her magic resistance, so there's an incentive to avoid letting her lose the shield, and even more added from the bonus damage that it gives to this skill.

Eldritch Heal Assimilation encourages her to go into battle and actually take damage since it recharges even during combat. But, rather than charge into the middle of battle, she has to stay at the edge of the defences with soldiers, in order to take advantage of their health. This not only implements one of her powers from her Endless Mode version, but it reflects her role in the Twilight Army as well, since she stays with her minions and allows their usefulness to benefit her as much as possible. Fantastic. :D

Banshee Blitz is a cool implementation of the power of Twilight Scourgers, but it's pretty weak. Compare it to Monkey Palm or Holy Grenade and you'll see how insignificant its effect is. Plus, Banshees didn't merely silence towers; they completely disabled them. There's perfect justification to make it a lengthy ranged stun or something similar. Maybe it could be a stun that lasts longer if the enemy has magic skills, or even magic resistance. ;)

You know that Blasting Hatred is a great name when it makes me laugh and get hyped at the same time. That's a cool name, and witty, too. It does just what I'd expect it to, though it's also kind of weak. I imagine the tactical planning required if the damage was immense, so players would try to detonate enemies before they come into contact with your troops in order to preserve their lives, or, time it to kill the soldiers with a blasting curse in order to use Eldritch Heal Assimilation on them.

This is a pretty solid hero. You've raised the bar for hero quality quite a long during your time here, Kingmaker, so don't be disappointed when I say it's a step down from previous heroes. Ainyl still matches the personality and feel of the character in KRO; she just isn't as awe-inspiring as Burden or The Abbott. My recommendation is to make the numbers higher and her skills more interactive with the shield mechanic. It's already good with the bonus damage and ability to regenerate the shield. I can't stay what it is exactly, but there's an itch I have that's telling me there's something else that can be added to this hero to make her playstyle that much more synergetic.

Anyways, when it's twilight, I'd love to use some Eerie Protection and try out Ainyl. Maybe after enough Assimilation, others will also be interested in what fun there is to be had with Ainyl.

[+] SPOILER
I'm leaving this here for myself in the future so that I can know that I was expecting to regret all of these jokes but posted them anyways. Hey, old BBB, while you're here, I want to ask: did you ever manage to get a girlfriend? Yeah, I didn't think so.
BBB

by Ninja » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 am

Big Bad Bug wrote:Anyways, when it's twilight, I'd love to use some Eerie Protection and try out Ainyl. Maybe after enough Assimilation, others will also be interested in what fun there is to be had with Ainyl.

Aaaaaaaaaaand ... kill yourself. :skull:
:hero:
User

by Sinque2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:41 am

So mean.
User

by The Kingmaker » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:24 pm

To Ninja and BBB: not in my thread

To BBB:
Beyond Regen and Respawn, what else would you like to know about Ainyl? I left her lore pretty short (for me) as I felt it fit better and going to deep in backstory can be a bad thing (looking at you Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones), but I did leave some stuff out so I could fill you in if necessary.

I generally don't add regen because it often isn't crucial to a play style and thus wouldn't be all that remarkable, but I do understand why it would be important here, same with respawn, which I only really add when it factors into a play style (Abbot) but it could be useful here. I'll try and add more-than-arbitrary numbers soon.

In terms of her being melee versus ranged, even though this was before the tanks thread, I was enamoured with the idea of a magic-based tank, and fit her around that. I looked at her abilities from the endless to pull most of her abilities (destructo-beam, teleport, shielding) and fit them into three abilities that worked well, the shield that I decided would form the crux of her play style (so it's more hers rather than Malicia's, after all why would she shield anyone but herself now?), the beam providing regular damage and working with the shield, and a "teleport" absorbing the life energy of an enemy as a flashy and unorthodox self-sustain. Being melee really fit with her platter more, and does fit thematically (I imagine firing from the gem cauterised into your hand would hurt far more than slashing with a rhonpahia), as I see her as taking up the various Twilight Magics and battle styles as the second in line while Malicia was trained in politics and he like, and as such is an amalgam of various Twilight Magics, with her design primarily indiciating she is a sort of arch-Evoker, but as Evoker are dedicated to the Spiders and I can't fully see Ainyl being redeemable with that, she's just near or is the top of a similar Twilight Order.
As to why she, as a Über-Evoker, can't use ranged magic? I'm going to wimp out and say it's because she doesn't have a hand free for it. She could stab the blade into the ground to fire from her right hand, but I felt it would clutter her damage more. I may add that if you'd recommend it.

I'm glad you like Eerie protection and appreciate Twilight Wrath's simplicity. I was considering having Assimilation as a passsive but merged it would Soul Absorb or whatever Lilith has to make it a bit more unique, even if it is very Eldritch Heal. For once I actually really tried to get the details you noticed (it fitting her role in the Twilight Army) as opposed to noticing how well they accidentally fit (Burden generally being chaotic), so I'm glad it was noted :D
I really liked Banshee Blitz purely for the image of a Banshee from a scourged hurtling out and silencing an enemy, alongside the idea that her gem has a bunch of Twilight Souls stored within. In terms of its function I agree, and instead of buffing it I'll probably revamp it while still fitting what Banshees do. Destroying an enemy's damage (or resistance) even after a long-range stun could compliment her very well, lowering the damage of enemies like Brutes and Gorillons and Executioners long before they reach her.
Blasting Hatred came to me while thinking of Twilight Elven abilities and how to implement them, and I knew I had to find a way to fit in blasting curses purely to use that ability name. A shame to hear it is weak, which I will fix. Perhaps additionally to dealing more damage, it could Assimilate more/all of the enemies it kills. For me myself, I would be perfectly happy with killing my barracks and reinforcements in Frontiers, as besides some cases it's the game where I feel I benefit from them less, but I might change it a touch in that regard so that it won't neuter your own choke point just to get some shield health.

Thank you for the compliments, I did know Ainyl would be pretty simple because she came together so quickly, and while I'm sad it shows I hope it's not too far of a step down. I would like to hear any ideas you have to try and make Ainyl as good as possible ( ;) ) I'll definitely go back with a few powers and make her play style more interactive and tight, even if I had omitted some of that from the later powers to not make it too much. It's good to hear I need to do a little more than a little less.

My treasured creations:
User

by Big Bad Bug » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:36 am

Beyond regeneration and respawn time, I'm curious about her animations. I really enjoy reading descriptions about how the characters behave and move, since it provides me with a stronger image of them fighting in a battlefield.

I'm fine with her being melee. After all, if the playstyle is fun, I won't complain. ;) The jarringness of her not having ranged attacks wears off after awhile. As for justification, I suppose that's part of why Ainly doesn't feel as refined as other heroes, as those elements about her as a hero are... looser. With a quickly-recharging ranged attack as well as Blasting Curse and Banshee Blitz, she does end up using magic attacks from afar quite often, which in turn makes her shield less likely to break since she doesn't need to be in combat. But, in that case, a shield that can be replenished using her damage on top of high armor becomes less significant, or at least unimportant in terms of defense. Its role is mainly for boosting damage, as I know I'd use her as a damage dealer and essentially a glass cannon with 200 HP just so I can deal more damage.

Your ideas for Blasting Curse and Banshee Blitz improvements sound promising to me. :)

If there was anything more to add to her, I'd say to add additional layers of depth to the shield, as it's the glue holding together her playstyle. Maybe removing her armor and making the shield stronger, so that she relies more on it and the damage it provides. Think of it as her last way of sustaining her life, similar to how she's on the verge of become nothing after being "scorned." I'll leave any additional effects added to skills from the shield up to you to decide. ;)
BBB

by The Kingmaker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Note to self: BBB likes attack and movement animation detail.

I'm going to edit this post when I go home so that it links to an image of a Rhomphaia and an image of Ainyl. With one of the hooked blades still attached, albeit only just, so that it continues from the bottom of the pole (which is remarkably shorter) and forms a rhomphaia like the one in the image.
Holding it firmly in her right hand she does a brutal stroke from over and behind her head to the enemy in front of her, hitting human sized enemies (Dune Raider) at the neck.
(IIRC Rhomphaias and Falxes used so little metal compared to swords and were so effective at singular, immediately lethal strikes to the head and neck, that the Romans, who were invading them, completely redesigned their Legionnaires' armour, including a plate on the sides of the head to deflect Falxes)

Im in two minds about range. I like her just fine without a basic magic attack, after all surely this Gem of Power is both powerful and induced lust for more power, why would she bother with lesser magic when she has the gem?
In terms of using the shield from afar, thematically Ainyl would sit just behind a barracks unit, commanding as if she were still a leader, but fighting frenetically as she has for the past little while an enemy comes upon her. In my mind if an enemy gets through it must either be en masse, a large, dangerous enemy, or have ranged support, therefore having her shield means she can be undamaged by the smaller en masse enemies, and be more suited to taking the Big Enemy/tonnes of arrowss and maintaining your chokepoint. I'd see her understanding how important stopping enemies at the choke is and making certain herself that leaks are minimised.

I don't want her to be a glass cannon damage dealer with 200HP. im considering buffing tank-y powers while the shield is up, and buffing damage dealing powers when it is down, but in my mind she's more of a simple tank, and while effective that could be very micro-intensive. It does make sense she'd fight harder when the shield is down, but I'm not certain how it would fit with assimilation replenishing it.

I'm considering making her health directly halved between the shield and her health pool, and also in lowering her armour, but I didn't like her having less health than a frail Evoker, because even though she's been damaged over time, she has toughened up just as much. I may lower armour to 50% (and magic resistance of the shield correspondingly)

Additional effects... hmmmmmmmm.
User

by The Kingmaker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:13 pm

*foreword that apologises for double post*

I have been revitalised in my Fan Fiction efforts after losing much of my plans to a broken laptop, but to move forwards I must first look back, which translated to updating the Community Improves... thread and applying various improvements that I never got around to.

Ainyl's powers are now a bit less simple, having differing effects depending on whether or not her shield is up, making her a more tactical and adaptable marshal for your forces depending on the situation, which I hope would compel players to use her from afar and in melee to their own discretion, and making both equally useful, representing her role as both a tactician and field commander, and making her roughly equally useful in both capacities.

Hopefully your Ainyl experience will now be as enjoyable, smooth and issue-free as possible. ;)

EDIT: Lore has been added to a little. Just a couple small things, mainly the understandable flood of emotion and information an Elynie-descended, Gem-Entangled Witch would feel from the death of a Sorcerer who had bested her and the artefact which had ruined her sister, her Nemesis (presuming it had caused Vez'Nan's downfall) and by proxy, herself.
Also the mental image of a possibly-less-evil than before Vez'Nan in a huge magical battle against Ainyl, the Arch-Scourger and the amassed powers of Evokers, Scourgers, Heretics and Acolytes amid in the sacking of Aredhel is one that deserved sharing.

My treasured creations:
User

by tmn loveblue » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:40 am

Wow :o

She is a very strong support hero when her shield is up, with some True Damage, some AoE damage, root+silence+damage reduction and exceptional tankiness, Ainyl can play it safe and harass enemies. When her shield is down, she becomes harder to use, losing her teleport and such, but gets much more powerful, since Blasting Hatred can assimilate many foes, reducing other abilities' cooldown, whereas Banshee Blitz and Twilight Wrath help to deal more damage. Plus, she becomes armored instead of resisting magic, allowing her to tank more effectively.

I think the thing about Ainyl is good usage of her shield, in order to deal more damage while keeping her safe. Despite having something like two sets of skills, Ainyl is not very hard to use properly: Her HP, her armor, her magic resisting shield makes Ainyl very hard to die, while her quick-recharge skills are all very powerful. However, I believe she is very difficult to use really well, since she is purely melee forcing her to join the fray and take damage, while her shield is unarmored so is very easily broken, taking away her teleport and making Blasting Hatred damages soldiers, which is not nice at all. Using her at range means solely relying on her skills, losing out a lot of damage from her melee strikes, and wasting the potential of ridiculously powerful combos by using Assimilation and Blasting Hatred to cast double skills, like twin Blasting Hatred and twin Twilight Wrath for lots of True Damage. Therefore, one must manage her shield in melee, using Assimilation to makes it last longer should they want to keep it, or burn the shield and go Berserk with Blasting Hatred Devastator (good timing required tho).

There are still things I want to changed in Ainyl. In order to encourage shield breaking for stronger damage dealing, I think that Assimilation should reduce all recharging abilities' cooldown by 1/2/3 seconds (except Assimilation). That rewards her when she is able to arrange Blasting Hatred to kill 3 or more foes, for double combo of her damaging abilities and deal tons of True Damage, which will be the signature of her powers. Since Assimilation instantly refill Eerie Protection, Ainyl can only do double combo once and then must wait for her skills to recharge in order to do it again, preventing combo spams. Currently, by reducing only one random ability's cooldown, Ainyl cannot be relied on to deal significantly more damage when her shield is broken, which limits her usefulness without Eerie Protection down to a mere tank with unsatisfying damage for 12 seconds, or nobody for 6 seconds; even if Ainyl manages a good Blasting Hatred, there is no guarantee that the cooldown reduction stacks up enough to ready any skill, therefore producing no visible effect, so the player will not have the motivation to set up a situation for Blasting Hatred to kill. This change should bring about the true greatness of Twilight powers and instill fears among all enemies when facing Ainyl.

:veznan:
User

by The Kingmaker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Many thanks tmn! It's great to hear that she would be too complex to use, that was an issue I'd hoped to avoid.

In regards to your point:
I'll consider assimilation recharging all abilities, I agree it would help combine her abilities a bit better, but I'm not really certain about balance. It would be awesome to pull off though, so I may include it just for that.
Alternatively, Assimilate could also heal Aniyl's HP, and preferentially heals her HP before her shield, meaning she could hypothetically go for some time with assimilate refreshing abilities faster, without it immediately refilling Eerie Protection.

My treasured creations:
User